Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would it not be kind of pointless to go home using the Destiny ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would it not be kind of pointless to go home using the Destiny ?

The Destiny is what Billions of Light Years away from Earth ? It would take that much longer just to get home & they will not survive that long. Sure they can be mad at Rush for breaking the code & keeping it a secret. But going home via Destiny is kind of pointless

The only way for the Destiny crew to really go home is if Eli theory about dialing while inside a star bears fruit. Or if they find another unoccupied seeder ship.
    sigpic
    - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Yes and no. You're right that flying Destiny home would take longer then possible. But with each galaxy they would get closer to Earth and thus need last power to dial home
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

With the master code, they may be able determine where are all the seeder ships are. If the closest one is not like 100s of years away, they might be able to tell the closest seed ship to turn around and meet with destiny if such function is possible.

Comment

I don't think WANTING to go home is pointless but I think getting there might be
          sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Yes and no. You're right that flying Destiny home would take longer then possible. But with each galaxy they would get closer to Earth and thus need last power to dial home
            Less and less, sure... but it would still take decades if not centuries for the power output to decrease enough for a wormhole using the power Destiny has available. The ship is billions of light years from the Milky Way.
            Dialing inside a star is still their best bet.
            sigpic
            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

They could also maybe fix the power reserves as Destiny is still only operating with 40% capacity - double that and change and it might be enough for a short connection, though getting back with supplies and some more manpower is a diff matter

N.C

Comment

The problem is not going back home it's going back to Destiny.Think about it, there are more options of going to Earth than there are of getting aboard again.

Comment

Originally posted by Stalekon View Post
                  The problem is not going back home it's going back to Destiny.Think about it, there are more options of going to Earth than there are of getting aboard again.
                  I do not think that anybody on Destiny except Rush would consider this a problem
                  Grimm returns October 24
                  sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
                  Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

if i was there i would be thinking like rush and be trying to finish the mission, and not try get home although
                    ''It's not what you have, it's how you use it.''

Comment

From Joseph Mallozzi's blog:
                      9) Can Dr.Rush now that hes learning to control the ship fly Destiny to meet up with the working Seeder ships and dock with them to power the Stargate to at least send anyone back to Earth that wants to go?”

Answer: Theoretically, he probably could use the power from the seeder ships to dial Earth, but realistically there is no way he’d be able to catch up with them. They are WELL ahead of Destiny. It’s the same answer I give those who ask: “Now that Rush has control of the ship, couldn’t he just turn Destiny around and fly it back to Earth?” Again, theoretically, yes. If they flew non-stop in FTL without stopping for food or water, they could probably make it back in approximately 50 000 years.

Long story short: YES, it would be pointless.
                      It's all about startegy. Out-maneuvering the opposition, bending him to your will.
                      -Dexter-

Comment

Originally posted by mi_guard View Post
                        I do not think that anybody on Destiny except Rush would consider this a problem
                        With how much they invested in the initial program to GET there, and with what they now know of the destinies mission, i cannot see a reason ANYONE would not want to continue it.
                        To do so is to me a massive waste.

Comment

For the crew except Rush, the meaning of life is the people they left behind on Earth.. and how to get back to them is the only mystery they want to solve.
                          For them to just give up that for the chance that maybe they'll find out something magnificent and maybe the Ancients weren't wrong... Yeah. How could the Ancients possibly get anything wrong?
                          sigpic
                          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by Steelbox View Post
                            The only way for the Destiny crew to really go home is if Eli theory about dialing while inside a star bears fruit. Or if they find another unoccupied seeder ship.
                            I believe dialing through a star cause destabilization in an episode of SG-1 if I recall correctly. Sam Carter had to bring over a nuke/missile and close the event horizon on the other end to explode the sun. The title of the episode eludes me atm.

So with this said, although Destiny is equipped with solar scoops, powering the stargate to dial billions of light years away is no small feat.

Where the Icarus Base and the Lucian Alliance used a planet with nequadria to dial Destiny, Destiny is but a small ship and can't do it vice versa even within a star.

Reason being is the sun is super hot. Destiny will have to do quite a lot of calculations to keep the shields up in addition to absorb solar energy and particles into its systems simultaneously to power the stargate. This will cause quite a strain on the systems.

In addition, Destiny is not as advanced as Atlantis. So if the writers do go this direction and choose it as a possibility for an answer, the reverse physics on paper just doesn't add up. the 'action' it took to get to where they are now would not add up to the 'reaction' it will take for them to do the same to get back, without a loss of overhead in the process.

But as Rush said in the Greater Good, the Ancients knowledge of physics goes beyond the physics we currently understand. So anything can happen because this is science fiction. Imagine greater. =)

Comment

Originally posted by Stalekon View Post
                              i can see that being a delema in an episode. kind of like stargate atlantis return, they tried to go back to their lives but they realized their lives were in atlantis (i suppose its different since they choose to go on the mission). i can see rush definetly staying in the end most of the main characters do too, some redshirts leave.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X