Feature Film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature Film

If the TV show were popular enough, do you think it would have the potential to become a feature film? The movie could happen while the show is still on or come out after the show runs its coarse as a bonus adventure.

No. Network TV shows tend to struggle on the big screen. No way a cable show would make it.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      No. Network TV shows tend to struggle on the big screen. No way a cable show would make it.
      Star Trek

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
        Star Trek
        Star Trek was a network show. And I never claimed it was an absolute.
        Jelgate is right

Comment

They could do like Stargate and make a direct-to-dvd movie. But apperently that market isnt what it use to be.

Comment

I think I remember hearing/reading somewhere that they would consider a movie if they were able to do five seasons. But I'm not sure.
            sigpic
            Live Peace. Speak Kindness. Dwell in possibility.
            My Livejournal. | My fanfictions. | My videos. | My twitter.
            Beautiful avi and sig are birthday presents fom josiane!

Comment

I am not sure if I am able to choose between a new season of Sanctuary or movie.After these two great seasons of the tv show and after watching new episodes of the new season I am not sure I want them to stop with seasons and go with a movie.If they make the movie,I will be happy but they can´t stop with new seasons. HEHE
              Willen, Teslen and totally addicted to Helen Magnus! Amanda's fan.
              / Twitter / FanFiction / CZ Blog /

Comment

^ I totally agree.

I'd prefer they stick to TV and seasons. But that's just me.
                sigpic
                Live Peace. Speak Kindness. Dwell in possibility.
                My Livejournal. | My fanfictions. | My videos. | My twitter.
                Beautiful avi and sig are birthday presents fom josiane!

Comment

I completely agree with Sammie. (and most of you)
                  A movie would be great if they somewhen stop the show.. but until that I'll be happy to watch manny, many seasons with very many eps
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Samantha.Majka View Post
                    I am not sure if I am able to choose between a new season of Sanctuary or movie.After these two great seasons of the tv show and after watching new episodes of the new season I am not sure I want them to stop with seasons and go with a movie.If they make the movie,I will be happy but they can´t stop with new seasons. HEHE
                    i'd rather have the new seasons!

just be/c there's MORE of sanct to enjoy
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Jelgate: Network shows struggle on the big screen, so a cable show wouldn't have a chance? That's not much of an argument. What is your basis beyond observations and patterns? If a TV-based movie can draw in viewers who did not watch the show and tells a good story, it should succeed at the theater. General Jumper One makes a good argument by pointing to Star Trek. Though based on two TV shows, the movies are popular because they are entertaining and don't require you to have seen the show. Of all the movies, Star Trek: First Contact was the most heavily tied to the show, but it was still accessible to new viewers. Star Trek was on NBC, The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine were syndicated, and Voyager and Enterprise were on UPN. The original series was deemed a failure until syndicated reruns in the 70's proved otherwise. TNG wasn't on a network, and it was followed up with four feature films. DS9 didn't get made into a movie, because all of the storylines were resolved plus TNG still had a theater presence. VOY didn't move to the big screen for the same reason, TNG was still at the theater. After Nemesis, instead of admitting to screwing up in hiring Stewart Baird as director, the studio played the out of gas card.

Kes: Direct-to-video would be a step backward from theatrical films, Paramount won't commit to a Star Trek movie unless it's going to be made for theaters. Don't buy Brad Wright's excuse of the market going down, because there are more and more direct-to-video new releases all the time. The problem is that script for the SG-1 and Atlantis movies call for a large budget than MGM is willing to commit to at this time.

Samantha.Majka: I'm not suggesting the show end prematurely in favor of a movie. I'm suggesting one be made while the show is on the air or when the show does end, it continue in movie format instead of just ending. A good example of this would be Star Trek: The Next Generation. Rather than continue with an eighth season, Rick Berman decided to continue TNG as a film series. This was a smart move, I think. Instead of fading away and risking actors dropping out from the show, it ended on a high note.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                        Jelgate: Network shows struggle on the big screen, so a cable show wouldn't have a chance? That's not much of an argument. What is your basis beyond observations and patterns? If a TV-based movie can draw in viewers who did not watch the show and tells a good story, it should succeed at the theater. General Jumper One makes a good argument by pointing to Star Trek. Though based on two TV shows, the movies are popular because they are entertaining and don't require you to have seen the show. Of all the movies, Star Trek: First Contact was the most heavily tied to the show, but it was still accessible to new viewers. Star Trek was on NBC, The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine were syndicated, and Voyager and Enterprise were on UPN. The original series was deemed a failure until syndicated reruns in the 70's proved otherwise. TNG wasn't on a network, and it was followed up with four feature films. DS9 didn't get made into a movie, because all of the storylines were resolved plus TNG still had a theater presence. VOY didn't move to the big screen for the same reason, TNG was still at the theater. After Nemesis, instead of admitting to screwing up in hiring Stewart Baird as director, the studio played the out of gas card.

Kes: Direct-to-video would be a step backward from theatrical films, Paramount won't commit to a Star Trek movie unless it's going to be made for theaters. Don't buy Brad Wright's excuse of the market going down, because there are more and more direct-to-video new releases all the time. The problem is that script for the SG-1 and Atlantis movies call for a large budget than MGM is willing to commit to at this time.

Samantha.Majka: I'm not suggesting the show end prematurely in favor of a movie. I'm suggesting one be made while the show is on the air or when the show does end, it continue in movie format instead of just ending. A good example of this would be Star Trek: The Next Generation. Rather than continue with an eighth season, Rick Berman decided to continue TNG as a film series. This was a smart move, I think. Instead of fading away and risking actors dropping out from the show, it ended on a high note.
                        It was never an argument. To be an argument it would need deep research. Its just an opinion. As for Star Trek I never claimed it was an absolute rule. Their are always exceptions and Trek is one of them. A franchise that is way more popular and known Sanctuary.
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

How popular the source is is completely irrelavent. Original movies succeed all the time. For a Sanctuary movie to work on the big screen, market it as if it were an original movie. Simple!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                            How popular the source is is completely irrelavent. Original movies succeed all the time. For a Sanctuary movie to work on the big screen, market it as if it were an original movie. Simple!
                            But it won't be an original movie. It will be based on a TV show. TV show movies struggle because they already have established their fan base. Sometimes thats big enough. A lot of times it isn't. Its just not popular enough IMO
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

I agree with jelgate. Not popular for theater. Plus no money to make. Anthem would have to work without breaks lol

Comment

Working...
                              X