Supernatural Fanfic Nitpics and Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supernatural Fanfic Nitpics and Pet Peeves

Okay, anybody find something in an SPN fic that drive you nuts? Things/facts that the author/writer gets wrong and you just want to throttle them for it?

One I'm always encountering is where a writer describes Dean as a blond or having blondish hair. Ooooooh, that just makes me want to bang my head against the nearest wall. Seriously. Dean clearly has brown hair...now. When he was a kid, yes, it was blond - just like Jensen's. And, just like Jensen's hair, Dean's hair darkened with age. I mean really, if you're a big enough fan that you're writing fanfic then you should know what color Dean's hair is.

Alright, I know I have others but it's really late and my brain needs sleep so...anyone else?
    sigpic
    Sig by ME.

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
    One I'm always encountering is where a writer describes Dean as a blond or having blondish hair. Ooooooh, that just makes me want to bang my head against the nearest wall. Seriously. Dean clearly has brown hair...now. When he was a kid, yes, it was blond - just like Jensen's. And, just like Jensen's hair, Dean's hair darkened with age. I mean really, if you're a big enough fan that you're writing fanfic then you should know what color Dean's hair is.
    Yeah, that one gets me too. Ugh.

The extra brother/sister bugs me. I won't usually read a story with another sibling in it, unless the story line is exceptionally good.

Sig by me

Comment

It's not just extra siblings but OCs in a primary role in general that annoy me. There are so many excellent characters on Spn, you can get by with using those. Especially since most of the OCs are either female hunters who are blessed with almost superhuman faculties, or damsels in distress that the one of the boys fall in love with. And I can do without either. I like canon, and canon on Spn is awesome enough.

And something that goes for fanfic in general, I can't abide bad English. If it's not your first language, get a beta. If you can't spell or use proper grammar, get a beta. I really don't get it, sometimes the synopsis already has a dozen typos in it. Then I don't even bother looking.
      Last edited by starg8fans; 10 November 2010, 08:43 AM.

sigpic
      Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_O'Neill_fan View Post
        Yeah, that one gets me too. Ugh.

The extra brother/sister bugs me. I won't usually read a story with another sibling in it, unless the story line is exceptionally good.
        I do like sisfics but, like you said, only if the writing is good. "The Winchester Three" is a great example of what I look for in a sisfic.

Originally posted by starg8fans View Post
        It's not just extra siblings but OCs in a primary role in general that annoy me. There are so many excellent characters on Spn, you can get by with using those. Especially since most of the OCs are either female hunters who are blessed with almost superhuman faculties, or damsels in distress that the one of the boys fall in love with. And I can do without either. I like canon, and canon on Spn is awesome enough.
        Keep in mind that the writers are, most likely, living vicariously through their OC's. I know I would/do.

And something that goes for fanfic in general, I can't abide bad English. If it's not your first language, get a beta. If you can't spell or use proper grammar, get a beta. I really don't get it, sometimes the synopsis already has a dozen typos in it. Then I don't even bother looking.
        Yes. I agree 100%! I've seen/tried to read some fics where the language/grammar was atrocious. The broken English...just...NO. I just have to walk away from it, so to speak. An English dictionary would be good for them to have on hand. I can't tell you how many times I encounter a writer using the wrong word, that is to say, confusing one word with another. That really crumbles my cookie.

For instance, "defiantly". I can't tell you how many times I've seen writers confuse that word with "definitely". Now that really, really irks me to no end.
        sigpic
        Sig by ME.

Comment

Ooh! I've been wanting to start this thread for a while now! Now some of these mind you are just my personal dislikes story-wise:

1) Yes, the siblings fics. Dunlikem.

2) Slash. Dunlikem.

3) OC fics. Dunlikem.

4) The brotherhood AU stories. TOO AU, it changes their entire backstory of growing up without all these other hunters around. And WHO decided the initial parameters for this AU?

5) Giving Dean nicknames that all sound so stupid (Deuce, De, Ace). His name is ONE syllable, four letters. Doesn't need a nickname!

6) Fanon that has been turned into canon in the fanfic world. (e.g. that Dean always sleeps in the bed nearest the door. No he doesn't. But everyone writes that he does.)

7) John-bashing. He was a strict parent with questionable decision-making, but he wasn't abusive.

8) Excessive whumping with no purpose (or STORY) other than the whumping.

9) Unrealistic whumping. (Um....Sam would have been dead four hours ago if those were his injuries!)

10) The drabbles are irritating for me, because they are usually so GOOD and I want them to keep going!

11) The spelling and grammar is a HUGE one for me. Another one that comes up a lot, isn't that English isn't their first language, it's that AMERICAN English isn't their first language. Personally I LOVE the slang and such from England...but the boys are American, they wouldn't say words like 'the boot' for trunk.

12) WIP. UGH!!!! So often you will read a great first part, then in the A/N you see that they don't even have the rest planned out! They have no idea where they are going!! I know, I shouldn't even read WIP, but I don't mind if they start by saying the story is done, or almost done and will be so many parts, one part put up each week. But when they even ask, "What do you think should happen next?"

Ok, that's what I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there will be more!!

Comment

Originally posted by Crichiel View Post
            Ooh! I've been wanting to start this thread for a while now!
            Great minds.

1) Yes, the siblings fics. Dunlikem.
            Like I said, if it's done good I'll read it, if it's not...I'll pass.

2) Slash. Dunlikem.
            Same here. Specially Wincest. Just...EUGH! They are BROTHERS!

3) OC fics. Dunlikem.
            I do like 'em.

4) The brotherhood AU stories. TOO AU, it changes their entire backstory of growing up without all these other hunters around. And WHO decided the initial parameters for this AU?
            I've seen/heard of these fics but have no clue that they are about. What is the Brotherhood?

5) Giving Dean nicknames that all sound so stupid (Deuce, De, Ace). His name is ONE syllable, four letters. Doesn't need a nickname!
            I've heard Ace before. Read a Teenchester fic where John called Dean Ace a few times. Didn't really care for it. Yes, I like Teenchester...more and more these days it'seems.

6) Fanon that has been turned into canon in the fanfic world. (e.g. that Dean always sleeps in the bed nearest the door. No he doesn't. But everyone writes that he does.)
            I noticed that too! And I often wondered where they got that from because I never noticed who slept in which bed.

7) John-bashing. He was a strict parent with questionable decision-making, but he wasn't abusive.
            Agreed.

8) Excessive whumping with no purpose (or STORY) other than the whumping.
            Again. Agreed. There needs to be a story behind the whumping.

9) Unrealistic whumping. (Um....Sam would have been dead four hours ago if those were his injuries!)
            Yeah, that sort of thing can be seen as a slight against the character...a put down, if you will. Not good.

10) The drabbles are irritating for me, because they are usually so GOOD and I want them to keep going!
            I like them, wish they were longer.

11) The spelling and grammar is a HUGE one for me. Another one that comes up a lot, isn't that English isn't their first language, it's that AMERICAN English isn't their first language. Personally I LOVE the slang and such from England...but the boys are American, they wouldn't say words like 'the boot' for trunk.
            Or "bonnet" for hood, "torch" for flashlight and "nappy" for diaper. Dean and Sam would never say "nappy". No offense to you UKer's out there!

12) WIP. UGH!!!! So often you will read a great first part, then in the A/N you see that they don't even have the rest planned out! They have no idea where they are going!! I know, I shouldn't even read WIP, but I don't mind if they start by saying the story is done, or almost done and will be so many parts, one part put up each week. But when they even ask, "What do you think should happen next?"
            I've read my fair share of WIP's...never finished them.I "favorite" the really good ones so that I can go back to them at a late date to see if they've been updated/finished. I inly hatae them when they are so good that I cannot wait to see/read what happens next...more than that, I hate it when I read an old WIP that hasn't been updated in forever! I don't usually take note of the published/last updated dates when I start reading a new WIP fic...silly me.
            sigpic
            Sig by ME.

Comment

I've seen/heard of these fics but have no clue that they are about. What is the Brotherhood?
              From what I can tell the basics are that they go on hunts all the time working with Pastor Jim, this Mackland somebody or other, Bobby, and Caleb. It's usually Teenchester. Caleb (who, in the one episode he was in looked like he was closer to JOHN'S age), is a few years older than Dean and they are best friends, and he calls Dean "Deuce" *shudder* and he has psychic powers. Everything about that turns me off.

I've heard Ace before. Read a Teenchester fic where John called Dean Ace a few times. Didn't really care for it. Yes, I like Teenchester...more and more these days it'seems.
              Weirdly enough, I am also starting to like Teenchester more and more these days. BUT the characters have to be in-line with what we've seen of Sam and Dean at that age, or I pass.

I noticed that too! And I often wondered where they got that from because I never noticed who slept in which bed.
              I DID start noticing after constantly reading this myth in fanfic. While it's true that Dean is closer to the door a lot of the time, it is NOT everytime. There are times when Sam has the closer bed.

Yeah, that sort of thing can be seen as a slight against the character...a put down, if you will. Not good.
              To me, the excessive whump is just bad writing. The lack of realism is what drives me crazy. Hey, I'm all for the whump, but it goes back to just having whump for whump's sake. Do a minimum of research and you will figure out that someone with their wrists slashed, two bullet holes, 6 broken ribs, internal bleeding, a severe head wound, and a splinter in their big toe will NOT survive in the desert without water or medical attention for 3 days while their brother tracks them down!

Or "bonnet" for hood, "torch" for flashlight and "nappy" for diaper. Dean and Sam would never say "nappy". No offense to you UKer's out there!
              -"Torch!" THAT was the other UK-ism I was trying to think of! Thanks, RiG!

- When Bobby is written as a total hick with no grasp of the English language. He has a bit of a Southern-type accent, and a few classic words (idjit, of course), but he is not a toothless, brainless hillbilly! He is probably the best-read character out of everyone! That's why they come to him when they can't figure out what is going on. So, I can't stand when they put that on him.

-A couple specific grammar things that drive me nutso in fanfic (and emals, term papers, FB, etc.....):

-Loose vs. lose
              -Breath vs. breathe

That last one really gets me because my favourite are the h/c stories. And it pulls you right out of the emotional scene when you suddenly read Sam saying, "Breath, Dean. Just relax and breath. It's ok."

-Oh! And while we're on h/c, the hurt stories with no comfort. You spend chapters beating someone up and waiting for the other to find them or to get help. The ambulance shows up or they finally get to the hospital and.....done. What?!!

I've read my fair share of WIP's...never finished them.I "favorite" the really good ones so that I can go back to them at a late date to see if they've been updated/finished. I inly hatae them when they are so good that I cannot wait to see/read what happens next...more than that, I hate it when I read an old WIP that hasn't been updated in forever! I don't usually take note of the published/last updated dates when I start reading a new WIP fic...silly me.
              Yeah, I know it's my own fault for reading a WIP in the first place. But 1) like you, I often forget to look at whether or not it's complete or has been updated in the past few years and 2) because I am so picky about the kind of fanfic I like, I run out of stories to read a lot, so I HAVE to go to the WIP to have something to read.

If I really like it, I will follow the story, but then I also have a problem waiting for each chapter. And like I said, the story could change at any time! And because of this, here is another pet peeve:

I totally understand wanting reviews. I would want them, too. But with a few exceptions, I am NOT going to leave a review on a WIP because I want to see how the whole story is going to play out. I don't KNOW if this is a good chapter until I see how it fits in with everything else! And if you need a review to even tell you which direction to go? I am definitely abandoning that one.

My couple exceptions are when an individual chapter is written exceptionally well. Or, for a recent one, I had to write to tell the author that it was just MY preference, but I was going let the story go because it wasn't my cup of tea to read about John being so awful (when she didn't start out like that, and there was no "abusive!John" disclaimer. She started well with her portrayal of John, then made him more and more abusive with each chapter. Then, she seemed to realise she had to make him a little more sympathetic, so would do so....for one paragraph, then make him even worse, just to 'up the angst' for Dean. Not for me.

Comment

*cough*
                This one depends a lot on YMMV, because around here his hair colour is called dark blond or fair brown.

I don't read a lot of SPN FFs (I don't read a lot of FFs at all at the moment, rediscovered those things called books ), but sometimes I do.

So, stuff that I don't like at all and will stop me from reading a fic

- Wincest (even if its pre-Slash - one brother lusting for the other is just not my thing)
                - Romance. Not my case, anyway, and especially not for SPN. It's OK to have them in a relationship if that is not the focus of the fic.
                - OOCness

There is a lot of other stuff I don't like but can live with, when the story itself is good enough.

Oh, and I have a problem, when the story is too long, because then I just won't read it. Yes, impatience is my second name.
                The cake is a lie!

Comment

Multi-quoting would get too difficult, so just my $0.02 worth.

Totally agree on the uber-whump. Especially when a character walks around for miles and rescues people with a broken leg. Come ON!

I do read WIPs, because contrary to iolanda I like my fics looooong. I like thick books too. That's why I usually don't bother with drabbles. I mean, how much plot can you fit into 100 or so words?

Guess I'm the odd person out here, but I don't mind Wincest. I got started on some AU fics where the boys weren't brothers, and it was a slippery slope from there. Still, I prefer the smut as a side order to a well fleshed out plot. Some of the best, most intriguing stories with impeccable characterization I've read were of that persuasion.

Same goes for RPF. At first I was totally against it, but then I was running out of material so I caved and read some AU fics. And I quite enjoyed them. It's like reading a movie script where the boys play doctors or detectives or whatever that just happen to share their real names...

Lose/loose and breath/breathe are good examples. Their/there is another one. Actually, I just found a summary that illustrates my earlier point perfectly.
                  When Dean and Sam decide to spend the vacation with friend instead of returning home like they are suppose to they really didn't think that anything bad would come of it.Man where they wrong!
                  Apart from punctuation, that's four mistakes in two sentences. No thanks.

sigpic

Comment

Oh, I meant to put in my thoughts on the blonde thing. I don't usually think of Jensen as being blonde ENOUGH, to put is down as part of Dean's desciption. But, TECHNICALLY, I would call him blonde because it is the colour of my hair, and when you look at that colour in hair-dye it is called 'dark ash blonde'. Sort of a colour that is neither brown nor blonde.

Comment

He is more brown than blonde, IMHO.

From what I can tell the basics are that they go on hunts all the time working with Pastor Jim, this Mackland somebody or other, Bobby, and Caleb. It's usually Teenchester. Caleb (who, in the one episode he was in looked like he was closer to JOHN'S age), is a few years older than Dean and they are best friends, and he calls Dean "Deuce" *shudder* and he has psychic powers. Everything about that turns me off.
                      Ah...so glad I don't read those.

Weirdly enough, I am also starting to like Teenchester more and more these days. BUT the characters have to be in-line with what we've seen of Sam and Dean at that age, or I pass.
                      Ditto.

I DID start noticing after constantly reading this myth in fanfic. While it's true that Dean is closer to the door a lot of the time, it is NOT everytime. There are times when Sam has the closer bed.
                      Very true. Take The Monster at the End of This Book, for instance: Dean was lying down reading one of the "Supernatural" books (Route 66*)..on the bed farthest from the door.

To me, the excessive whump is just bad writing. The lack of realism is what drives me crazy. Hey, I'm all for the whump, but it goes back to just having whump for whump's sake. Do a minimum of research and you will figure out that someone with their wrists slashed, two bullet holes, 6 broken ribs, internal bleeding, a severe head wound, and a splinter in their big toe will NOT survive in the desert without water or medical attention for 3 days while their brother tracks them down!
                      Right!?

-"Torch!" THAT was the other UK-ism I was trying to think of! Thanks, RiG!
                      Anytime.

- When Bobby is written as a total hick with no grasp of the English language. He has a bit of a Southern-type accent, and a few classic words (idjit, of course), but he is not a toothless, brainless hillbilly! He is probably the best-read character out of everyone! That's why they come to him when they can't figure out what is going on. So, I can't stand when they put that on him.
                      I hate this too. Write Bobby true to form people. Please.

-A couple specific grammar things that drive me nutso in fanfic (and emals, term papers, FB, etc.....):

-Loose vs. lose
                      -Breath vs. breathe
                      -Here vs. hear
                      -There vs. they're vs. their
                      -To vs too vs. two

That last one really gets me because my favourite are the h/c stories. And it pulls you right out of the emotional scene when you suddenly read Sam saying, "Breath, Dean. Just relax and breath. It's ok."
                      Yeah, it totally ruins the moment. It's a real hang up for me. Literally. I get hung up on the "word" and it'll bug me.

-Oh! And while we're on h/c, the hurt stories with no comfort. You spend chapters beating someone up and waiting for the other to find them or to get help. The ambulance shows up or they finally get to the hospital and.....done. What?!!
                      Tell be about it.

I totally understand wanting reviews. I would want them, too. But with a few exceptions, I am NOT going to leave a review on a WIP because I want to see how the whole story is going to play out. I don't KNOW if this is a good chapter until I see how it fits in with everything else! And if you need a review to even tell you which direction to go? I am definitely abandoning that one.
                      Yeah, reviews, I hardly leave any these days...unless it's to point out mistakes. However, I do tack on a compliment or two to show that despite the mistakes I actually do like the story.

WIP reviews...only when the WIP is completed. Then and only then do I leave a review...if there are no errors that is. I like to review stories as a whole rather than in parts (chapters).

And, I can't stand it when writers threaten to not post another chapter unless they get X amount of reviews. I mean, really. Fishing for reviews? ...not cool.

My couple exceptions are when an individual chapter is written exceptionally well.
                      Yes, I'm with you here.

Or, for a recent one, I had to write to tell the author that it was just MY preference, but I was going let the story go because it wasn't my cup of tea to read about John being so awful (when she didn't start out like that, and there was no "abusive!John" disclaimer. She started well with her portrayal of John, then made him more and more abusive with each chapter. Then, she seemed to realise she had to make him a little more sympathetic, so would do so....for one paragraph, then make him even worse, just to 'up the angst' for Dean. Not for me.
                      Yeah, I'm not much for abusive!John.

I do read WIPs, because contrary to iolanda I like my fics looooong. I like thick books too. That's why I usually don't bother with drabbles. I mean, how much plot can you fit into 100 or so words?
                      I like my fics long...when they're good/well written fics.

Same goes for RPF. At first I was totally against it, but then I was running out of material so I caved and read some AU fics. And I quite enjoyed them. It's like reading a movie script where the boys play doctors or detectives or whatever that just happen to share their real names...
                      Okay...RPF would be? Role Playing fics? Don't think I've read any of these.

Apart from punctuation, that's four mistakes in two sentences. No thanks.
                      Right!? I can't tell you how many summaries alone were the impetus for me to not read the story. I mean, a poorly written summary is gonna mean a poorly written story. So, no thank you. Grammar is of the utmost importance when fic writing.

And on that note...Punctuation...I cannot stand it when a writer leaves out the punctuation marks at the end of lines of dialogue. Or when writers use ' instead of ".

"Dean, meet me at the library" <---no period.

'Dean, meet me at the library.' <---use of comma instead of quotation marks.

How about questions? Hate it when a writer does this ---> "Dean, are you gonna answer that."

It's a question for Dean's sake! Use a question mark! ---> "Dean, are you gonna answer that?"

Then there are the writers who do not use contractions. I do not know... I am here... I can not leave you... UGH. Don't - I'm - Can't. What is so hard about that?
                      sigpic
                      Sig by ME.

Comment

And, I can't stand it when writers threaten to not post another chapter unless they get X amount of reviews. I mean, really. Fishing for reviews? ...not cool.
                        Ugh! I HATE that! Also the constant, "This is my first fanfic, be kind." If a story's good, it's good. If it's not, it's not. I'm not judging it differently whether it's your first or fiftieth.

And the Wincest/OC/Sisterfics that find it necessary to say in the synopsis, "Don't like, don't read." I probably wouldn't have anyway BECAUSE I don't like them, but if you are going to talk to your readers like that? I am definitely staying away.

Never seen any of these either.

question for Dean's sake! Use a question mark! ---> "Dean, are you gonna answer that?"
                        Have not heard THAT expression before. That is hilarious! I'm stealing that!!

Comment

Sorry - it means 'Real Person Fics', i.e. the protagonists would not be Sam and Dean but Jensen and Jared. That's why I only read AU stories here, everything else would be just too weird.

Right!? I can't tell you how many summaries alone were the impetus for me to not read the story. I mean, a poorly written summary is gonna mean a poorly written story. So, no thank you. Grammar is of the utmost importance when fic writing.

And on that note...Punctuation...I cannot stand it when a writer leaves out the punctuation marks at the end of lines of dialogue. Or when writers use ' instead of ".
                          That reminds me of my current favorite cartoon. (spoilered for OT and language)
                          Spoiler:

sigpic

Comment

Ugh! I HATE that! Also the constant, "This is my first fanfic, be kind." If a story's good, it's good. If it's not, it's not. I'm not judging it differently whether it's your first or fiftieth.
                            I kinda don't mind when they say that. I think I said something along those same lines myself when I posted my first SG1 ficlet

And the Wincest/OC/Sisterfics that find it necessary to say in the synopsis, "Don't like, don't read." I probably wouldn't have anyway BECAUSE I don't like them, but if you are going to talk to your readers like that? I am definitely staying away.
                            Agreed.

Never seen any of these either.
                            Now that I know what they are I can safely say that I have seen and read two of these types of stories. One was pretty good while the other was not so good. Consistency wasn't the writer's strong suit.

Have not heard THAT expression before. That is hilarious! I'm stealing that!!
                            Go right ahead!

Sorry - it means 'Real Person Fics', i.e. the protagonists would not be Sam and Dean but Jensen and Jared. That's why I only read AU stories here, everything else would be just too weird.
                            Okay, I'm confused. You only read AU stories where Jensen and Jared are the protagonists and Sam and Dean stories are too weird? Or the other AU stories are too weird or..ACK! My brain's going in circles! Okay, how about this: What would be too weird? Give an example please?
                            Spoiler:
                            Sorry. It's getting late and I'm tired. And tired brains tend not to function properly.

That reminds me of my current favorite cartoon. (spoilered for OT and language)
                            LOL!

I do like crossovers...if and when they're done right and written well.

Oh, and before I forget...great sig/avatar combination you got going there Crichiel!
                            sigpic
                            Sig by ME.

Comment

Okay, I'm confused. You only read AU stories where Jensen and Jared are the protagonists and Sam and Dean stories are too weird? Or the other AU stories are too weird or..ACK! My brain's going in circles! Okay, how about this: What would be too weird? Give an example please?
                              Spoiler:
                              Sorry. It's getting late and I'm tired. And tired brains tend not to function properly.
                              I meant that I only read Jared and Jensen fics in AU. It would be too weird to read stories about their actual lives, like things that happen on set or with their wives. But I love fics where they are secret agents or firefighters or something - although I must admit that most of them are of that other persuasion that most of you here don't like. At least the whole incest thing is not an issue here.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X