PDA

View Full Version : Supernatural Fanfic Nitpics and Pet Peeves

RodneyIsGodney
November 7th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Okay, anybody find something in an SPN fic that drive you nuts? Things/facts that the author/writer gets wrong and you just want to throttle them for it?

One I'm always encountering is where a writer describes Dean as a blond or having blondish hair. Ooooooh, that just makes me want to bang my head against the nearest wall. Seriously. Dean clearly has brown hair...now. When he was a kid, yes, it was blond - just like Jensen's. And, just like Jensen's hair, Dean's hair darkened with age. I mean really, if you're a big enough fan that you're writing fanfic then you should know what color Dean's hair is.

Alright, I know I have others but it's really late and my brain needs sleep so...anyone else?

Jack_O'Neill_fan
November 9th, 2010, 05:45 PM
One I'm always encountering is where a writer describes Dean as a blond or having blondish hair. Ooooooh, that just makes me want to bang my head against the nearest wall. Seriously. Dean clearly has brown hair...now. When he was a kid, yes, it was blond - just like Jensen's. And, just like Jensen's hair, Dean's hair darkened with age. I mean really, if you're a big enough fan that you're writing fanfic then you should know what color Dean's hair is.
Yeah, that one gets me too. Ugh.

The extra brother/sister bugs me. I won't usually read a story with another sibling in it, unless the story line is exceptionally good.

starg8fans
November 10th, 2010, 09:36 AM
It's not just extra siblings but OCs in a primary role in general that annoy me. There are so many excellent characters on Spn, you can get by with using those. Especially since most of the OCs are either female hunters who are blessed with almost superhuman faculties, or damsels in distress that the one of the boys fall in love with. And I can do without either. I like canon, and canon on Spn is awesome enough.

And something that goes for fanfic in general, I can't abide bad English. If it's not your first language, get a beta. If you can't spell or use proper grammar, get a beta. I really don't get it, sometimes the synopsis already has a dozen typos in it. Then I don't even bother looking.

RodneyIsGodney
November 11th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Yeah, that one gets me too. Ugh.

The extra brother/sister bugs me. I won't usually read a story with another sibling in it, unless the story line is exceptionally good.
I do like sisfics but, like you said, only if the writing is good. "The Winchester Three" is a great example of what I look for in a sisfic.

It's not just extra siblings but OCs in a primary role in general that annoy me. There are so many excellent characters on Spn, you can get by with using those. Especially since most of the OCs are either female hunters who are blessed with almost superhuman faculties, or damsels in distress that the one of the boys fall in love with. And I can do without either. I like canon, and canon on Spn is awesome enough.
Keep in mind that the writers are, most likely, living vicariously through their OC's. I know I would/do.;)

And something that goes for fanfic in general, I can't abide bad English. If it's not your first language, get a beta. If you can't spell or use proper grammar, get a beta. I really don't get it, sometimes the synopsis already has a dozen typos in it. Then I don't even bother looking.
Yes. I agree 100%! I've seen/tried to read some fics where the language/grammar was atrocious. The broken English...just...NO. I just have to walk away from it, so to speak. An English dictionary would be good for them to have on hand. I can't tell you how many times I encounter a writer using the wrong word, that is to say, confusing one word with another. That really crumbles my cookie.

For instance, "defiantly". I can't tell you how many times I've seen writers confuse that word with "definitely". Now that really, really irks me to no end.

Crichiel
November 11th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Ooh! I've been wanting to start this thread for a while now! Now some of these mind you are just my personal dislikes story-wise:

1) Yes, the siblings fics. Dunlikem.

2) Slash. Dunlikem.

3) OC fics. Dunlikem.

4) The brotherhood AU stories. TOO AU, it changes their entire backstory of growing up without all these other hunters around. And WHO decided the initial parameters for this AU?

5) Giving Dean nicknames that all sound so stupid (Deuce, De, Ace). His name is ONE syllable, four letters. Doesn't need a nickname!

6) Fanon that has been turned into canon in the fanfic world. (e.g. that Dean always sleeps in the bed nearest the door. No he doesn't. But everyone writes that he does.)

7) John-bashing. He was a strict parent with questionable decision-making, but he wasn't abusive.

8) Excessive whumping with no purpose (or STORY) other than the whumping.

9) Unrealistic whumping. (Um....Sam would have been dead four hours ago if those were his injuries!)

10) The drabbles are irritating for me, because they are usually so GOOD and I want them to keep going!

11) The spelling and grammar is a HUGE one for me. Another one that comes up a lot, isn't that English isn't their first language, it's that AMERICAN English isn't their first language. Personally I LOVE the slang and such from England...but the boys are American, they wouldn't say words like 'the boot' for trunk.

12) WIP. UGH!!!! So often you will read a great first part, then in the A/N you see that they don't even have the rest planned out! They have no idea where they are going!! I know, I shouldn't even read WIP, but I don't mind if they start by saying the story is done, or almost done and will be so many parts, one part put up each week. But when they even ask, "What do you think should happen next?"

Ok, that's what I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there will be more!! ;)

RodneyIsGodney
November 11th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Ooh! I've been wanting to start this thread for a while now!
Great minds.;)

Like I said, if it's done good I'll read it, if it's not...I'll pass.

2) Slash. Dunlikem.
Same here. Specially Wincest. Just...EUGH! They are BROTHERS!

3) OC fics. Dunlikem.
I do like 'em.

4) The brotherhood AU stories. TOO AU, it changes their entire backstory of growing up without all these other hunters around. And WHO decided the initial parameters for this AU?
I've seen/heard of these fics but have no clue that they are about. What is the Brotherhood?

5) Giving Dean nicknames that all sound so stupid (Deuce, De, Ace). His name is ONE syllable, four letters. Doesn't need a nickname!
I've heard Ace before. Read a Teenchester fic where John called Dean Ace a few times. Didn't really care for it. Yes, I like Teenchester...more and more these days it'seems.

6) Fanon that has been turned into canon in the fanfic world. (e.g. that Dean always sleeps in the bed nearest the door. No he doesn't. But everyone writes that he does.)
I noticed that too! And I often wondered where they got that from because I never noticed who slept in which bed.

7) John-bashing. He was a strict parent with questionable decision-making, but he wasn't abusive.
Agreed.

Again. Agreed. There needs to be a story behind the whumping.

9) Unrealistic whumping. (Um....Sam would have been dead four hours ago if those were his injuries!)
Yeah, that sort of thing can be seen as a slight against the character...a put down, if you will. Not good.

10) The drabbles are irritating for me, because they are usually so GOOD and I want them to keep going!
I like them, wish they were longer.

11) The spelling and grammar is a HUGE one for me. Another one that comes up a lot, isn't that English isn't their first language, it's that AMERICAN English isn't their first language. Personally I LOVE the slang and such from England...but the boys are American, they wouldn't say words like 'the boot' for trunk.
Or "bonnet" for hood, "torch" for flashlight and "nappy" for diaper. Dean and Sam would never say "nappy". No offense to you UKer's out there!;)

12) WIP. UGH!!!! So often you will read a great first part, then in the A/N you see that they don't even have the rest planned out! They have no idea where they are going!! I know, I shouldn't even read WIP, but I don't mind if they start by saying the story is done, or almost done and will be so many parts, one part put up each week. But when they even ask, "What do you think should happen next?"
I've read my fair share of WIP's...never finished them.I "favorite" the really good ones so that I can go back to them at a late date to see if they've been updated/finished. I inly hatae them when they are so good that I cannot wait to see/read what happens next...more than that, I hate it when I read an old WIP that hasn't been updated in forever! I don't usually take note of the published/last updated dates when I start reading a new WIP fic...silly me.

Crichiel
November 12th, 2010, 08:29 AM
I've seen/heard of these fics but have no clue that they are about. What is the Brotherhood?

From what I can tell the basics are that they go on hunts all the time working with Pastor Jim, this Mackland somebody or other, Bobby, and Caleb. It's usually Teenchester. Caleb (who, in the one episode he was in looked like he was closer to JOHN'S age), is a few years older than Dean and they are best friends, and he calls Dean "Deuce" *shudder* and he has psychic powers. Everything about that turns me off.

I've heard Ace before. Read a Teenchester fic where John called Dean Ace a few times. Didn't really care for it. Yes, I like Teenchester...more and more these days it'seems.

Weirdly enough, I am also starting to like Teenchester more and more these days. BUT the characters have to be in-line with what we've seen of Sam and Dean at that age, or I pass.

I noticed that too! And I often wondered where they got that from because I never noticed who slept in which bed.

I DID start noticing after constantly reading this myth in fanfic. While it's true that Dean is closer to the door a lot of the time, it is NOT everytime. There are times when Sam has the closer bed.

Yeah, that sort of thing can be seen as a slight against the character...a put down, if you will. Not good.

To me, the excessive whump is just bad writing. The lack of realism is what drives me crazy. Hey, I'm all for the whump, but it goes back to just having whump for whump's sake. Do a minimum of research and you will figure out that someone with their wrists slashed, two bullet holes, 6 broken ribs, internal bleeding, a severe head wound, and a splinter in their big toe will NOT survive in the desert without water or medical attention for 3 days while their brother tracks them down! :p

Or "bonnet" for hood, "torch" for flashlight and "nappy" for diaper. Dean and Sam would never say "nappy". No offense to you UKer's out there!;)

-"Torch!" THAT was the other UK-ism I was trying to think of! Thanks, RiG! ;)

- When Bobby is written as a total hick with no grasp of the English language. He has a bit of a Southern-type accent, and a few classic words (idjit, of course), but he is not a toothless, brainless hillbilly! He is probably the best-read character out of everyone! That's why they come to him when they can't figure out what is going on. So, I can't stand when they put that on him.

-A couple specific grammar things that drive me nutso in fanfic (and emals, term papers, FB, etc.....):

-Loose vs. lose
-Breath vs. breathe

That last one really gets me because my favourite are the h/c stories. And it pulls you right out of the emotional scene when you suddenly read Sam saying, "Breath, Dean. Just relax and breath. It's ok." :rolleyes:

-Oh! And while we're on h/c, the hurt stories with no comfort. You spend chapters beating someone up and waiting for the other to find them or to get help. The ambulance shows up or they finally get to the hospital and.....done. What?!! :mad:

I've read my fair share of WIP's...never finished them.I "favorite" the really good ones so that I can go back to them at a late date to see if they've been updated/finished. I inly hatae them when they are so good that I cannot wait to see/read what happens next...more than that, I hate it when I read an old WIP that hasn't been updated in forever! I don't usually take note of the published/last updated dates when I start reading a new WIP fic...silly me.

Yeah, I know it's my own fault for reading a WIP in the first place. But 1) like you, I often forget to look at whether or not it's complete or has been updated in the past few years and 2) because I am so picky about the kind of fanfic I like, I run out of stories to read a lot, so I HAVE to go to the WIP to have something to read.

If I really like it, I will follow the story, but then I also have a problem waiting for each chapter. And like I said, the story could change at any time! And because of this, here is another pet peeve:

I totally understand wanting reviews. I would want them, too. But with a few exceptions, I am NOT going to leave a review on a WIP because I want to see how the whole story is going to play out. I don't KNOW if this is a good chapter until I see how it fits in with everything else! And if you need a review to even tell you which direction to go? I am definitely abandoning that one.

My couple exceptions are when an individual chapter is written exceptionally well. Or, for a recent one, I had to write to tell the author that it was just MY preference, but I was going let the story go because it wasn't my cup of tea to read about John being so awful (when she didn't start out like that, and there was no "abusive!John" disclaimer. She started well with her portrayal of John, then made him more and more abusive with each chapter. Then, she seemed to realise she had to make him a little more sympathetic, so would do so....for one paragraph, then make him even worse, just to 'up the angst' for Dean. Not for me.

iolanda
November 12th, 2010, 02:39 PM

*cough*
This one depends a lot on YMMV, because around here his hair colour is called dark blond or fair brown.

I don't read a lot of SPN FFs (I don't read a lot of FFs at all at the moment, rediscovered those things called books :D), but sometimes I do.

So, stuff that I don't like at all and will stop me from reading a fic

- Wincest (even if its pre-Slash - one brother lusting for the other is just not my thing)
- Romance. Not my case, anyway, and especially not for SPN. It's OK to have them in a relationship if that is not the focus of the fic.
- OOCness

There is a lot of other stuff I don't like but can live with, when the story itself is good enough.

Oh, and I have a problem, when the story is too long, because then I just won't read it. Yes, impatience is my second name.

starg8fans
November 13th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Multi-quoting would get too difficult, so just my $0.02 worth.

Totally agree on the uber-whump. Especially when a character walks around for miles and rescues people with a broken leg. Come ON!

I do read WIPs, because contrary to iolanda I like my fics looooong. I like thick books too. :D That's why I usually don't bother with drabbles. I mean, how much plot can you fit into 100 or so words?

Guess I'm the odd person out here, but I don't mind Wincest. I got started on some AU fics where the boys weren't brothers, and it was a slippery slope from there. Still, I prefer the smut as a side order to a well fleshed out plot. Some of the best, most intriguing stories with impeccable characterization I've read were of that persuasion.

Same goes for RPF. At first I was totally against it, but then I was running out of material so I caved and read some AU fics. And I quite enjoyed them. It's like reading a movie script where the boys play doctors or detectives or whatever that just happen to share their real names...

Lose/loose and breath/breathe are good examples. Their/there is another one. Actually, I just found a summary that illustrates my earlier point perfectly.

When Dean and Sam decide to spend the vacation with friend instead of returning home like they are suppose to they really didn't think that anything bad would come of it.Man where they wrong!
Apart from punctuation, that's four mistakes in two sentences. No thanks.

Crichiel
November 13th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Oh, I meant to put in my thoughts on the blonde thing. I don't usually think of Jensen as being blonde ENOUGH, to put is down as part of Dean's desciption. But, TECHNICALLY, I would call him blonde because it is the colour of my hair, and when you look at that colour in hair-dye it is called 'dark ash blonde'. Sort of a colour that is neither brown nor blonde.

RodneyIsGodney
November 18th, 2010, 03:15 PM
He is more brown than blonde, IMHO.

From what I can tell the basics are that they go on hunts all the time working with Pastor Jim, this Mackland somebody or other, Bobby, and Caleb. It's usually Teenchester. Caleb (who, in the one episode he was in looked like he was closer to JOHN'S age), is a few years older than Dean and they are best friends, and he calls Dean "Deuce" *shudder* and he has psychic powers. Everything about that turns me off.
Ah...so glad I don't read those.

Weirdly enough, I am also starting to like Teenchester more and more these days. BUT the characters have to be in-line with what we've seen of Sam and Dean at that age, or I pass.
Ditto.;)

I DID start noticing after constantly reading this myth in fanfic. While it's true that Dean is closer to the door a lot of the time, it is NOT everytime. There are times when Sam has the closer bed.
Very true. Take The Monster at the End of This Book, for instance: Dean was lying down reading one of the "Supernatural" books (Route 66*)..on the bed farthest from the door.

To me, the excessive whump is just bad writing. The lack of realism is what drives me crazy. Hey, I'm all for the whump, but it goes back to just having whump for whump's sake. Do a minimum of research and you will figure out that someone with their wrists slashed, two bullet holes, 6 broken ribs, internal bleeding, a severe head wound, and a splinter in their big toe will NOT survive in the desert without water or medical attention for 3 days while their brother tracks them down! :p
Right!?

-"Torch!" THAT was the other UK-ism I was trying to think of! Thanks, RiG! ;)
Anytime.;)

- When Bobby is written as a total hick with no grasp of the English language. He has a bit of a Southern-type accent, and a few classic words (idjit, of course), but he is not a toothless, brainless hillbilly! He is probably the best-read character out of everyone! That's why they come to him when they can't figure out what is going on. So, I can't stand when they put that on him.
I hate this too. Write Bobby true to form people. Please.

-A couple specific grammar things that drive me nutso in fanfic (and emals, term papers, FB, etc.....):

-Loose vs. lose
-Breath vs. breathe
-Here vs. hear
-There vs. they're vs. their
-To vs too vs. two

That last one really gets me because my favourite are the h/c stories. And it pulls you right out of the emotional scene when you suddenly read Sam saying, "Breath, Dean. Just relax and breath. It's ok." :rolleyes:
Yeah, it totally ruins the moment. It's a real hang up for me. Literally. I get hung up on the "word" and it'll bug me.

-Oh! And while we're on h/c, the hurt stories with no comfort. You spend chapters beating someone up and waiting for the other to find them or to get help. The ambulance shows up or they finally get to the hospital and.....done. What?!! :mad:
Tell be about it.

I totally understand wanting reviews. I would want them, too. But with a few exceptions, I am NOT going to leave a review on a WIP because I want to see how the whole story is going to play out. I don't KNOW if this is a good chapter until I see how it fits in with everything else! And if you need a review to even tell you which direction to go? I am definitely abandoning that one.
Yeah, reviews, I hardly leave any these days...unless it's to point out mistakes. However, I do tack on a compliment or two to show that despite the mistakes I actually do like the story.

WIP reviews...only when the WIP is completed. Then and only then do I leave a review...if there are no errors that is. I like to review stories as a whole rather than in parts (chapters).

And, I can't stand it when writers threaten to not post another chapter unless they get X amount of reviews. I mean, really. Fishing for reviews? ...not cool.

My couple exceptions are when an individual chapter is written exceptionally well.
Yes, I'm with you here.

Or, for a recent one, I had to write to tell the author that it was just MY preference, but I was going let the story go because it wasn't my cup of tea to read about John being so awful (when she didn't start out like that, and there was no "abusive!John" disclaimer. She started well with her portrayal of John, then made him more and more abusive with each chapter. Then, she seemed to realise she had to make him a little more sympathetic, so would do so....for one paragraph, then make him even worse, just to 'up the angst' for Dean. Not for me.
Yeah, I'm not much for abusive!John.

I do read WIPs, because contrary to iolanda I like my fics looooong. I like thick books too. :D That's why I usually don't bother with drabbles. I mean, how much plot can you fit into 100 or so words?
I like my fics long...when they're good/well written fics.

Same goes for RPF. At first I was totally against it, but then I was running out of material so I caved and read some AU fics. And I quite enjoyed them. It's like reading a movie script where the boys play doctors or detectives or whatever that just happen to share their real names...
Okay...RPF would be? Role Playing fics? Don't think I've read any of these.

Apart from punctuation, that's four mistakes in two sentences. No thanks.
Right!? I can't tell you how many summaries alone were the impetus for me to not read the story. I mean, a poorly written summary is gonna mean a poorly written story. So, no thank you. Grammar is of the utmost importance when fic writing.

And on that note...Punctuation...I cannot stand it when a writer leaves out the punctuation marks at the end of lines of dialogue. Or when writers use ' instead of ".

"Dean, meet me at the library" <---no period.

'Dean, meet me at the library.' <---use of comma instead of quotation marks.

How about questions? Hate it when a writer does this ---> "Dean, are you gonna answer that."

It's a question for Dean's sake! Use a question mark! ---> "Dean, are you gonna answer that?"

Then there are the writers who do not use contractions. I do not know... I am here... I can not leave you... UGH. Don't - I'm - Can't. What is so hard about that?

Crichiel
November 22nd, 2010, 09:02 AM
And, I can't stand it when writers threaten to not post another chapter unless they get X amount of reviews. I mean, really. Fishing for reviews? ...not cool.

Ugh! I HATE that! Also the constant, "This is my first fanfic, be kind." If a story's good, it's good. If it's not, it's not. I'm not judging it differently whether it's your first or fiftieth.

And the Wincest/OC/Sisterfics that find it necessary to say in the synopsis, "Don't like, don't read." I probably wouldn't have anyway BECAUSE I don't like them, but if you are going to talk to your readers like that? I am definitely staying away.

Never seen any of these either.

question for Dean's sake! Use a question mark! ---> "Dean, are you gonna answer that?"

Have not heard THAT expression before. That is hilarious! I'm stealing that!!

starg8fans
November 22nd, 2010, 01:44 PM

Sorry - it means 'Real Person Fics', i.e. the protagonists would not be Sam and Dean but Jensen and Jared. That's why I only read AU stories here, everything else would be just too weird.

Right!? I can't tell you how many summaries alone were the impetus for me to not read the story. I mean, a poorly written summary is gonna mean a poorly written story. So, no thank you. Grammar is of the utmost importance when fic writing.

And on that note...Punctuation...I cannot stand it when a writer leaves out the punctuation marks at the end of lines of dialogue. Or when writers use ' instead of ".

That reminds me of my current favorite cartoon. (spoilered for OT and language)http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee84/starg8fans/NotStreet.jpg

RodneyIsGodney
November 22nd, 2010, 06:29 PM
Ugh! I HATE that! Also the constant, "This is my first fanfic, be kind." If a story's good, it's good. If it's not, it's not. I'm not judging it differently whether it's your first or fiftieth.
I kinda don't mind when they say that. I think I said something along those same lines myself when I posted my first SG1 ficlet :o

And the Wincest/OC/Sisterfics that find it necessary to say in the synopsis, "Don't like, don't read." I probably wouldn't have anyway BECAUSE I don't like them, but if you are going to talk to your readers like that? I am definitely staying away.
Agreed.

Never seen any of these either.
Now that I know what they are I can safely say that I have seen and read two of these types of stories. One was pretty good while the other was not so good. Consistency wasn't the writer's strong suit.

Have not heard THAT expression before. That is hilarious! I'm stealing that!!
Go right ahead!

Sorry - it means 'Real Person Fics', i.e. the protagonists would not be Sam and Dean but Jensen and Jared. That's why I only read AU stories here, everything else would be just too weird.
Okay, I'm confused. You only read AU stories where Jensen and Jared are the protagonists and Sam and Dean stories are too weird? Or the other AU stories are too weird or..ACK! My brain's going in circles! Okay, how about this: What would be too weird? Give an example please?
Sorry. It's getting late and I'm tired. And tired brains tend not to function properly.:o

That reminds me of my current favorite cartoon. (spoilered for OT and language)http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee84/starg8fans/NotStreet.jpg
LOL!

I do like crossovers...if and when they're done right and written well.;)

Oh, and before I forget...great sig/avatar combination you got going there Crichiel!:D

starg8fans
November 23rd, 2010, 12:54 AM
Okay, I'm confused. You only read AU stories where Jensen and Jared are the protagonists and Sam and Dean stories are too weird? Or the other AU stories are too weird or..ACK! My brain's going in circles! Okay, how about this: What would be too weird? Give an example please?
Sorry. It's getting late and I'm tired. And tired brains tend not to function properly.:o

I meant that I only read Jared and Jensen fics in AU. It would be too weird to read stories about their actual lives, like things that happen on set or with their wives. But I love fics where they are secret agents or firefighters or something - although I must admit that most of them are of that other persuasion that most of you here don't like. At least the whole incest thing is not an issue here.

Crichiel
November 23rd, 2010, 11:21 AM
Oh, and before I forget...great sig/avatar combination you got going there Crichiel!:D

Thanks! I have no clue how to do that kind of thing. I asked Switch to help when we were talking at the convention this year. I just said, "This is my favourite shot of Dean. Here's a shot of Sam from the same scene. And here's a quote from the ep. What can you do?" And she worked her magic!

Another fanfic nitpick. I like angst, and I like h/c. But sometimes the story gets SO angsty and hurt/comfort-y that Dean just comes off as weak. They have him crying left and right. And not in the awesome macho, "I'm trying NOT to get emotional" way that the show does. Just sobbing and falling apart all over Sam and Sam has to rock him to sleep and carry him inside and...whatEVER!! I like my manly-man Dean that stuffs all that hurt inside....but you can still see it all over his little boy face! ;)

Jaemal
November 26th, 2010, 02:15 PM

This mostly. Another thing I can't stand is first person perspective (especially with switching viewpoints). I don't really know why it bothers me but I find third person perspective much better.

Slash is fine with me as long as it is well written. Hell, Supernatural might be the only fandom were slash is somewhat canon, given the crazy amount of subtext between Sam & Dean or Dean & Cas. Is there even a decent amount any non-slash fics out there?

starg8fans
November 26th, 2010, 02:44 PM
This mostly. Another thing I can't stand is first person perspective (especially with switching viewpoints). I don't really know why it bothers me but I find third person perspective much better.

Slash is fine with me as long as it is well written. Hell, Supernatural might be the only fandom were slash is somewhat canon, given the crazy amount of subtext between Sam & Dean or Dean & Cas. Is there even a decent amount any non-slash fics out there?

Well, there's deandamage.com if you're into whump - definitely no slash there.

RodneyIsGodney
November 26th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I meant that I only read Jared and Jensen fics in AU. It would be too weird to read stories about their actual lives, like things that happen on set or with their wives. But I love fics where they are secret agents or firefighters or something - although I must admit that most of them are of that other persuasion that most of you here don't like. At least the whole incest thing is not an issue here.
Ah. That clears that up. Thank you. Don't think I've ever ecnountered fics like this before.

Thanks!
Y'welcome.:)

I have no clue how to do that kind of thing. I asked Switch to help when we were talking at the convention this year. I just said, "This is my favourite shot of Dean. Here's a shot of Sam from the same scene. And here's a quote from the ep. What can you do?" And she worked her magic!
That is a niiiiiice picture of Dean and real sweet of her to make them for you.:)

Another fanfic nitpick. I like angst, and I like h/c. But sometimes the story gets SO angsty and hurt/comfort-y that Dean just comes off as weak. They have him crying left and right. And not in the awesome macho, "I'm trying NOT to get emotional" way that the show does. Just sobbing and falling apart all over Sam and Sam has to rock him to sleep and carry him inside and...whatEVER!! I like my manly-man Dean that stuffs all that hurt inside....but you can still see it all over his little boy face! ;)
Yeah, I hate it when they make Dean too sappy, too...chick flicky, if you will. Yes, "manly-man" Dean is the best Dean.

I'm reading a fic now wherein Dean and Sam find a baby in the backseat of the Impala...yes, Dean's baby...and the writer is of the UK variety, no offense. Nappy, capsule, cot...ACK! Diaper, carseat, crib. Dean does not say "Nappy." I do like "pram" though! Not that Dean said that mind you...the writer was simply describing the stroller.

Crichiel
March 28th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Whew! Had to track this thread down on page 4 just because of the horrible fanfic I just read. Gotta a new nitpick after reading this thing:

People who can't write kids appropriately.

Dean and Sam were 5 and 2 (and wouldn't Dean be 6 if Sam were 2?). Sam's speech was the most ridiculous overexaggerated baby speak. I've seen a lot of de-aged stories that do this. People have this very odd idea of what toddlers talk like.

And Dean? Holy c**p! The stuff she had him doing and saying at age 5 was insane. She was writing him like he was 12! Besides that I SERIOUSLY doubt John would have left them alone for a week at THAT age, 5-year-olds (even in the worst home situations where they have to grow up early) are not capable of the thinking processes that he was displaying here (or the vocabulary!) I have a 5-year-old who's vocabulary STUNS people and this would be beyond her.

Also Dean's physical strength and agility was crazy. FIVE! That's Kindergarten, lady!!

I know, I know, I am probably just oversensitve because I have sent my whole life caring for children! :o

SkeksisGirl
March 28th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I read a lot of SPN fics, and I do a SPN RP with a friend which will NEVER see the light of day as fanfics cause they are for me and her alone. But here are my two pennies.

Ooh! I've been wanting to start this thread for a while now! Now some of these mind you are just my personal dislikes story-wise:

I like them if done well... haven't seen any done well. With the RP, the closest we've had to them having a sister is for them to have found someone during a hunt or something and kinda adopted her as a sister. No blood relations for all but one AU SL.

2) Slash. Dunlikem.

::Shrugs.:: Doesn't bother be when it's done well.

3) OC fics. Dunlikem.

Because of the RP, I like OC's done well. But not many are in the ones I've read.

I've read some that were kinda Brotherhood but never read the "official" brotherhoods... and after seeing the pages for it I was like WTF?

Ace and Deuce bug me. A LOT. De' I am fine with because when I've read fics where Sam calls him De', it's usually cause he was too young to finish his name, or because he was so FUBAR physically that that was all he could get out. But if he's old enough an healthy enough... Dean.

Meh... Doesn't really bother me.

If given a good reason to be abusive, I'll buy it. Demon possession, Curse, something like that... I can see it. Otherwise, meh.

Amen!

I can give or take depending on my mood.

Yes! But I HATE the drabbles where I have no Gorram clue what is going on!

With a few minor spelling errors, I can forgive... when it's REALLY bad... I avoid.

Oh yeah... I hate that also... I will read a great fic... and it's like 13+ chapters long... then... TBC and it's half a year ago! ARGH!!!

Also... I hate stories where the A/N's are almost as long if not longer than the story! You wanna write a story, write the damn story! You wanna chat, go to a damn chat room!

To add to my pet peeve list... I personally dislike stories Mary Sue Winchester stories. "Oh Dean is perfect and Sam is evil and Selfish to the bone! How dare he hurt Dean like that!" Or "Poor Sammy who's so precious has to live with this neanderthal Dean! Let's get him out of there!" Ugh.

warrior_chic
March 28th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I've recently started reading fanfic (mostly for other shows). Because I've run across a lot of these problems with these other stories, I've avoided them for SPN, because I know they'll bother me that much more.

For some reason, i've been reading almost exclusively crossovers. Most of my SPN crossovers have been with Criminal Minds. They were surprisingly well integrated, but I have read some where the basic personalities of some of the characters are so out of whack, they are no longer the character I know and love.

The more general grammer is probably what consistently bugs me the most. Since these fics are based on established shows, I feel like the authors (no matter what country) should be trying to stay within the context i.e. the Winchesters are from Kansas, don't make them use regional slang NOT from the Plains. I recently read an NCIS and Criminal Minds crossover. One is set in DC, the other in Quantico, VA. I looked it up. 45 minute drive between the two, but this author had them fly from Quantico to DC. Even though both places have been mentioned in both shows as being very close to each other. I guess I just feel that if it's real, and fairly basic, you should do a little bit of research on it first. For example, I read one where they found a fiber that had DNA (not possible) that matched something in AFIS(fingerprint database). Not everyone will know that this is [i]completely[/b] wrong, but it's easy to look up and figure out.

Crichiel
March 28th, 2011, 01:21 PM
That's the thing. A lot of authors will say, "I have no medical training, so forgive mistakes." And with the little details, that is totally fine with me. I don't know the exact dialogue medical personnel would use in a given situation. But there are so many answers that are just a quick Google away!

As it pertains to my previous nitpick about getting kids right? I suppose it MIGHT be a little harder to Google child development specifics. HOWEVER, I am still shaking my head that someone thinks a 5- and 2- year old would survive alone for over a week, OR that John would do that to them! (Heck, in I Believe the Children Are Our Future, we found out that even when Dean was a teenager, John had the hotel maid check up on them when he was gone!!)

RodneyIsGodney
March 28th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Whew! Had to track this thread down on page 4 just because of the horrible fanfic I just read. Gotta a new nitpick after reading this thing:

People who can't write kids appropriately.

Dean and Sam were 5 and 2 (and wouldn't Dean be 6 if Sam were 2?). Sam's speech was the most ridiculous overexaggerated baby speak. I've seen a lot of de-aged stories that do this. People have this very odd idea of what toddlers talk like.

And Dean? Holy c**p! The stuff she had him doing and saying at age 5 was insane. She was writing him like he was 12! Besides that I SERIOUSLY doubt John would have left them alone for a week at THAT age, 5-year-olds (even in the worst home situations where they have to grow up early) are not capable of the thinking processes that he was displaying here (or the vocabulary!) I have a 5-year-old who's vocabulary STUNS people and this would be beyond her.
OMG! I can't stand it when I read a kidfic/de-aged fic and the author(s) give a 4 year old Sam, for instance, the vocabulary of a 10 year old. Drives me friggin nutz! Makes me think that the author(s) has had no experience with kids. And I'm always aware of the boy's ages in fics, (doing the math in my head) making sure that they are 4 years apart no matter what age they are in the story because that would be a glaringly obvious mistake to make.

Oh, and while I'm on this subject, I read a fic where the author had written inner monologues for a young kid (it might have been a young Dean but I can't remember) and these monologues were beyond a little kids vocabulary. I was like, kids don't think like this! They don't say words like this! Come on!

Also Dean's physical strength and agility was crazy. FIVE! That's Kindergarten, lady!!

I know, I know, I am probably just oversensitve because I have sent my whole life caring for children! :o
Not at all! You just know your stuff and you're not afraid to put it out there.;)

queen_hathor
April 2nd, 2011, 03:06 AM
I've been meaning to post in here for ages, but now I see that you've got a lot of them covered it saves me the typing! :lol:

So:

Hair colour, and also eye colour - Jensen (and therefore Dean) hasn't had naturally blond hair since he was a kid. Jensen bleached his hair a few years back, but can anyone honestly expect Dean to do something that lassy? NO. So his hair is brown. End of story! :mad: And eye colours - Jensen's eAye are GREEN, Jared's are HAZEL - we see them onscreen all the time - not that hard to work out, especially with all the close ups! Jared's eAye *can* look different colours, but hazel eAye do, depending on the light. I have hazel myself, some days they're browner than others, some days greener, but they're still hazel like Jareds are!!

Bad English, spelling & grammar - unless you're a professional writer, proof reader, or an English professor, you can't possibly get everything right, so we can't expect perfection, but basic spelling and punctuation? That's easy to get right. People complain they can't get a beta, and I really don't know wtf that's all about. We all know other people who read fanfic, so ask them! Even if they don't want to do it themselves, they're bound to know someone! I could give you the names of 20 people straight away who beta for other people, myself included! :p

Slash - well, what can I say? *raises hand as a shameless slasher and huge Wincest fan* You don't like it, that's fine by me! Any decent person will accept that other people have different opinions - so for instance, the thought of Mpreg makes me wanna puke - but everyone should respect other people's reading material. No-one forces you to read a particular genré! I'm perfectly happy to read gen fics (gen, not Gen! ;)), and there are some really good fics out there! :D

As for the J2 stuff - I love that in RL they're all touchy feely with each other, and it's clear they have a great mateyship. They play it up something rotten, and I for one can't get enough of it... however, RPS J2 fics? They make me feel creepy and dirty! And worst of all, the people who whump the actors as opposed to the characters - that really irks me! :S

As far as AU goes, I'm happy to read either. I tend to go for long fics these days, because many are really gripping and well thought out. Here's where a peeve comes into play though - if someone's placing Dean & Sam in an AU storyline, but essentially keeping their characters the same, why write some of the additional character so OoC? I started reading one where it was implied Wincest, and the writer had Bobby sit down with the lads asking if they were happy and basically encouraging it... WTF? That would never happen! :eek:

Shortening of 'Dean' - something so small, but like many of you have said - one syllable. The time it takes to say 'De' is the same as 'Dean' so what's wrong with these people??? :mad:

Unrealistic whumping. Total whumper here, but I agree, I can't take an author/story seriously if they're putting the character through something no human could handle! :lol:

US vs. UK words - I have a general objection to American 'English', such as missing letters out, colour, flavour etc. With Spn being a programme set in America, American words should be used, so it does annoy me when I see UK words being used. Gotta say though, when I write my own stuff, I'll use the American words, but won't compromise on spelling... Dean's 'favourite' place may well be on the 'hood' of his Impala, but I'm calling the 'colour' black! ;)

Well, there's deandamage.com if you're into whump - definitely no slash there.
^^^ I second that recommendation, wonderful site! :D

That's the thing. A lot of authors will say, "I have no medical training, so forgive mistakes." And with the little details, that is totally fine with me. I don't know the exact dialogue medical personnel would use in a given situation. But there are so many answers that are just a quick Google away!
Couldn't agree more! :lol:

Another peeve (slash related, sorry!) is when people always think Sam left for Stanford because of his feelings for Dean! :rolleyes:

And last one atm, people quoting from eps...and getting the quote wrong! :eek: Drives me bonkers! Well, more bonkers than I am already! ;)

Edit: ah, thought of another... wacky pairings bug me! Whether it's het or slash, e.g. Dean/Gabriel... wtf? And Dean/Ruby... again, WTF?? :S

RodneyIsGodney
April 25th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Okay, I got a new one...Supernatural/Dark Angel crossovers...

I've recently delved into the land of SPN/DA crossovers and have noticed an apparent lack of plausible ways to crossover both shows. Most common is "Dean is Alec" and vice versa. There is no possible way for that to be since "Alec" is some 15-18 years in the future, depending on what season of SPN the story takes place in. And that is the major plot point of DA that every author, who's fics I've tried to read, has forgotten.:mckay: And it drives me nuts! And, it's why Dean cannot possibly be Alec.

I can come up with two very plausible ideas for this to work... Cas can "zap" Dean and Sam into the future, I mean, if Zacharia can do it then so can Cas! Or, Alec could, somehow, be transported back in time. It's not that hard.

Okay, I think that's it for now. Gonna go see if I can find a good SPN/DA crossover tonight. Wish me luck!

SkeksisGirl
April 25th, 2011, 07:14 PM

I've recently delved into the land of SPN/DA crossovers and have noticed an apparent lack of plausible ways to crossover both shows. Most common is "Dean is Alec" and vice versa. There is no possible way for that to be since "Alec" is some 15-18 years in the future, depending on what season of SPN the story takes place in. And that is the major plot point of DA that every author, who's fics I've tried to read, has forgotten.:mckay: And it drives me nuts! And, it's why Dean cannot possibly be Alec.

I can come up with two very plausible ideas for this to work... Cas can "zap" Dean and Sam into the future, I mean, if Zacharia can do it then so can Cas! Or, Alec could, somehow, be transported back in time. It's not that hard.

Okay, I think that's it for now. Gonna go see if I can find a good SPN/DA crossover tonight. Wish me luck!

There's two DA/SPN crossovers I really like... one I lost and am trying to find again, it dealt with Time Travel on Alec's side of the fence, and one that the author admits to it being AU because of the time difference. Lemme grab it for you:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4460817/1/Its_in_the_Genes <--- Like I said, they screw with the timeline a bit but I REALLY like it, and Dean is NOT Alec in this. Here's the sequel if you like ---> http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5541723/1/It_Runs_In_The_Family

FOUND IT! This is called Devil's Gateway, it deals with time travel to keep the timelines correct! Enjoy: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4763947/1/bDevil_bs_bGateway_b

Also this fic has the boys finding Max in 2009: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6601416/1/A_Different_Life

And this one also keeps the timelines correct with the kids being kids in 2009, I thought the way it portrayed Dean was excellent: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6864475/1/Wrath

warrior_chic
April 25th, 2011, 08:45 PM

I started to read one, but it was really long and I lost motivation, so I don't know quite how Jensen overlapped in it, but the way it started was plausible. Dean was pulled out of Hell in 2020, or some time much closer to DA. So it's pretty much AU after S3, but he seemed okay. I'll have to get back to that one soon.

And this is starting to become my #1 nitpic. I was reading one the other day about an American show. The author did a decent job with dialog and stuff (I think they were from the UK), but at one point there were 3 people in the car- one stretched out in back, and 2 up front, one of which had a completely inoperable arm at the time. So clearly the healthy one was driving. But the author wrote that he "turned left to look" at the one with the busted arm. If you can get all the dialog to match American speech, can't you at least get the driver's side of the car right?

EDIT: For anyone interested, here's the DA/SPN fic I'm talking about. They even provided correct (some guessing on the DA front) ages and birthdays.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5382298/1/Of_Desire_and_the_Status_Quo

RodneyIsGodney
April 28th, 2012, 08:12 PM
I know queen already covered this but it bears repeating...

I keep seeing this one lately and it drives me up the wall...writers seem to think that Dean is a blond. Really? Blond??? Are they that blind? Are they watching a different Supernatural? Or, do they just not know what blond is?

It's like queen pointed out, Jensen has not been naturally blond in a looooong time. And, yes, little 4 year old Dean was a blonde but his hair darkened with age. As some blonds tend to do.

Also, I'm seeing quite a few fics in foreign languages and every last one is a J2 (slash) story. I have never seen one J2 story in English. Why is that??? Its'...bizarre!

m&mnm317
May 27th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Okay.. First - y'all have kinda scared me out of writing a fanfic :lol: I understand your pet peeves though ;)

The main ones I have are grammar/spelling and punctuation and Wincest. I'm no stranger to slash but the fact that Sam and Dean are brothers puts me off that.

OC's don't bother me mainly because it's hard to find a female that can provide comfort for the injured character without changing a bunch of other things during the timeline. You know?

birthsister
May 27th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Really, no need to panic. I took this as a 'guide' and wrote a fanfic or two and haven't been lynched yet. Of course, maybe it's because some of the nitpicks don't apply to me, like I don't do crossovers (I'm like Monk and his food; my fandoms shouldn't touch), I don't do Wincest (seriously? brothers!? squick doesn't even begin to describe it), and, well, google is a writers best friend for everything else. Seriously, put it out there, we need more SPN fic.

RodneyIsGodney
May 28th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Sigh...

It seems that, lately, whenever I venture over to ff.net every other fic is Destial or Sabrial. WTH? Does nobody write genfics anymore? Drives me UP THE WALL.

And, please, m&m, don't let this thread scare you away from writing SPN fic. I only started it because I needed a place to gripe about whatever I griped about in the first post. Use it as a guide, like sis does. and she's right, we need more SPN fics!

m&mnm317
May 28th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Really, no need to panic. I took this as a 'guide' and wrote a fanfic or two and haven't been lynched yet. Of course, maybe it's because some of the nitpicks don't apply to me, like I don't do crossovers (I'm like Monk and his food; my fandoms shouldn't touch), I don't do Wincest (seriously? brothers!? squick doesn't even begin to describe it), and, well, google is a writers best friend for everything else. Seriously, put it out there, we need more SPN fic.

I do crossovers but it's a very special circumstance and I actually cannot see a valid reason for doing it in this fandom. :) I'm with you on Wincest! I don't understand the appeal at all; but! I'm not going to bash those that do either.. I don't mind slahs it's just I don't see it in SPN which is why I'm not opposed to OC's because you gotta have someone other than Sam givin' Dean some comfort when you whump him. :D

Sigh...

It seems that, lately, whenever I venture over to ff.net every other fic is Destial or Sabrial. WTH? Does nobody write genfics anymore? Drives me UP THE WALL.

And, please, m&m, don't let this thread scare you away from writing SPN fic. I only started it because I needed a place to gripe about whatever I griped about in the first post. Use it as a guide, like sis does. and she's right, we need more SPN fics!

Yeah, I don't get the angel/human slash thing.. I'm also not a fan of teenchesters.. I like the adult versions better... Basically, I try to stay away from: anything pre-pilot, Wincest, Destiel, and torture.. I like to whump Dean but I like to keep it light and not life threatening which is hard to find in this fandom, lol..

Thanks RIG, I plan on using it as a guide, I'm just trying to figure out how. :D So...is this thread only for pet peeves or are we allowed to brainstorm too?

RodneyIsGodney
May 28th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I don't get the angel/human slash thing.. I'm also not a fan of teenchesters.. I like the adult versions better... Basically, I try to stay away from: anything pre-pilot, Wincest, Destiel, and torture.. I like to whump Dean but I like to keep it light and not life threatening which is hard to find in this fandom, lol..
I'm actually liking teenchesters more and more these days. Though I picture Jensen as teenDean as Brock (Kelly) does nothing for me.

Thanks RIG, I plan on using it as a guide, I'm just trying to figure out how. :D So...is this thread only for pet peeves or are we allowed to brainstorm too?
Uhm...I'd kinda like this thread to stay a pet peeves only thread if that's okay. Sorry.:o I can start a brainstorming thread if you like. Call it something like "SPN Fanfic Brainstorming" or "SPN Fanfic Help and Brainstorming" or whatever you'd like to call it. If you have a better title/name that's cool.

m&mnm317
May 28th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I'm actually liking teenchesters more and more these days. Though I picture Jensen as teenDean as Brock (Kelly) does nothing for me.

Uhm...I'd kinda like this thread to stay a pet peeves only thread if that's okay. Sorry.:o I can start a brainstorming thread if you like. Call it something like "SPN Fanfic Brainstorming" or "SPN Fanfic Help and Brainstorming" or whatever you'd like to call it. If you have a better title/name that's cool.

Not a problem ;) I'll start the new thread since it was kinda my idea ;) Titles... Hm..let see..

RodneyIsGodney
May 28th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Okay. Good.:)

m&mnm317
May 28th, 2012, 10:51 PM
You know what I think is my biggest pet peeve about fics??

OOC-ness... I'm sure I'm more than guilty of it but it's when it's so blatantly obvious that the character is OOC that it really begins to bug the crap out of me.

RodneyIsGodney
May 29th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Yeah, same here. The more obvious the OOC the worse it is.http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Myn_M/Supernatural/DeanBI.gif

m&mnm317
May 29th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Yeah, same here. The more obvious the OOC the worse it is.http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Myn_M/Supernatural/DeanBI.gif

Yeah which sucks because I'm trying to write a fic and I cannot seem to get him IC.. :mad: Well, not as IC as some; however, he's better than others. :D Granted, those are the ones that have him crying openly but still, baby steps. lol

Also! *slight rant coming!* Why is it so hard to find a fic where Dean (or Sam) AREN'T gravely injured? Or where an injury is slight at first but turns into something worse? I mean, what's wrong with having a fic where Dean's just hurt and needs to rest? Like, because he physically cannot "work".. Is that too boring or something?? I think I've read one fic like that and it's called "Rush". But even still there was a case going on and stuff.. :S *sighs* Okay, rant's over ;)

birthsister
May 29th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I don't know if it's quite what you're looking for, but I have an NC 17 Dean Jo fic over at Archive of Our Own and ff.net (I tweaked a little tiny bit more before AOOO so it's a wee bit more complete) that has a scene it where they're kind of comparing injuries and scars...would something like that do ya for now?

RodneyIsGodney
May 29th, 2012, 05:54 PM
I agree with everything you said m&m.

m&mnm317
May 29th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I don't know if it's quite what you're looking for, but I have an NC 17 Dean Jo fic over at Archive of Our Own and ff.net (I tweaked a little tiny bit more before AOOO so it's a wee bit more complete) that has a scene it where they're kind of comparing injuries and scars...would something like that do ya for now?

Maybe?? I dunno.. I could always give it a read though. ;)

birthsister
May 29th, 2012, 06:13 PM
It's called The Spaces Between, if you decide to give it a whirl....

m&mnm317
May 30th, 2012, 09:22 AM
It's called The Spaces Between, if you decide to give it a whirl....

Read it, reviewed it. I'm pisces317 on FF :)

RodneyIsGodney
May 30th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Another nitpic I have is when a story is not structured properly. I have encountered many a fic where it's just one long paragraph. Or a bunch of thick paragraphs where the dialogue from both boys is all mashed together. You would think that these people must read fics so they'd know how to structure their own, right?

As soon as I encounter one such fic I have to walk away from it, no matter how much I like/love the type of story it is, the idea.

birthsister
May 30th, 2012, 09:53 AM
M, glad you liked it. I tend to go for the emotional whumpin more than the physical, but that damn twisted ankle has been in my head all night....

m&mnm317
May 30th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Another nitpic I have is when a story is not structured properly. I have encountered many a fic where it's just one long paragraph. Or a bunch of thick paragraphs where the dialogue from both boys is all mashed together. You would think that these people must read fics so they'd know how to structure their own, right?

As soon as I encounter one such fic I have to walk away from it, no matter how much I like/love the type of story it is, the idea.

Hear hear! *slams gavel*

M, glad you liked it. I tend to go for the emotional whumpin more than the physical, but that damn twisted ankle has been in my head all night....

:D So...you gonna write it then??? ;) It's been picking at me as well but if you're gonna write it, I'm gonna let you cause your writing is better than mine. :D

RodneyIsGodney
July 13th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Okay, back to the US/UKisms...

...ugh. Don't like it when it's blatantly obvious that the writer is British. They gotta know that Dean and Sam don't speak the way the writer does. Just read a story in which the writer has Dean and Sam taking care of a baby that they find in the back seat of the Impala - the baby turned out to be Dean's - and they were referring to diapers as nappies...car seat as capsule...things like that and it just drove me nuts! So while reading I substituted the American English terms for the British terms.

Also hate it when the story body is in the middle of the page, centered if you will. It's just...awkward to read it that way.

m&mnm317
July 13th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Okay, back to the US/UKisms...

...ugh. Don't like it when it's blatantly obvious that the writer is British. They gotta know that Dean and Sam don't speak the way the writer does. Just read a story in which the writer has Dean and Sam taking care of a baby that they find in the back seat of the Impala - the baby turned out to be Dean's - and they were referring to diapers as nappies...car seat as capsule...things like that and it just drove me nuts! So while reading I substituted the American English terms for the British terms.

Also hate it when the story body is in the middle of the page, centered if you will. It's just...awkward to read it that way.

Ugh, I hate it when the body is centered or everything runs together, like it's all one, or even when the paragraphs aren't separated like they "should" be.. It all drives me NUTS!!!!

The British thing can sometimes get on my nerves but I try to be tolerant; mainly because I've tried doing the opposite - writing a British fanfic when I'm American and it's hard. As long as they're tolerant of my idiocies when it comes to their language and stuff, then I'm tolerant of theirs :)

RodneyIsGodney
July 13th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Ugh, I hate it when the body is centered or everything runs together, like it's all one, or even when the paragraphs aren't separated like they "should" be.. It all drives me NUTS!!!!
Word.

The British thing can sometimes get on my nerves but I try to be tolerant; mainly because I've tried doing the opposite - writing a British fanfic when I'm American and it's hard. As long as they're tolerant of my idiocies when it comes to their language and stuff, then I'm tolerant of theirs :)
Yeah, I'd probably be the same if I were to write a British fanfic. I'd understand.;)

Oh, and I hate it when writers get the year of the Impala wrong! I mean, come on, if you're any kind of SPN fan there's no way you could get that wrong!

m&mnm317
July 14th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Yeah, I'd probably be the same if I were to write a British fanfic. I'd understand.;)

I've dabbled in Doctor Who and Harry Potter (even put them both in one :D) - those are most definitely British :lol: So yeah, I'm forgiving.

Oh, and I hate it when writers get the year of the Impala wrong! I mean, come on, if you're any kind of SPN fan there's no way you could get that wrong!

What year did they put it as??

RodneyIsGodney
July 14th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I've dabbled in Doctor Who and Harry Potter (even put them both in one :D) - those are most definitely British :lol: So yeah, I'm forgiving.
Interesting mix.:P I like HP but not DW (Doctor Who I mean not Dean Winchester, him I definitely like :D) so probably would't read that one. Sorry.:o

What year did they put it as??
I've seen it as '76 impala ...and I think '69 Impala. *shakes head*

m&mnm317
July 14th, 2012, 10:01 PM
I've seen it as '76 impala ...and I think '69 Impala. *shakes head*

What year is it? I thought it was a '69 :o

RodneyIsGodney
July 15th, 2012, 06:33 AM
What year is it? I thought it was a '69 :o
It's a 1967 Chevy Impala.;)

m&mnm317
July 15th, 2012, 07:50 AM
It's a 1967 Chevy Impala.;)

Oh. Well at least I was only two years off, lol.

RodneyIsGodney
July 15th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Oh. Well at least I was only two years off, lol.
Yeah, not too bad.;)

Melia
July 16th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Here's my two cents...

Okay, as someone who has spent much of the last ten years or so perusing ff.net, in various fandoms, including SPN since it pretty much started, I like to think i have a pretty good grasp on a lot of the pet peeves that have all been mentioned here.

Hair/Eye Color- I agree with this one. Itís not difficult to get the correct color of their hair or eyes and if anyone thinks that Deanís hair is anything but brown, they need to get their eyes checked.

Extra Siblings- This one doesnít really bother me. Iíve read some really good stories that included a third brother, one specifically where he was older than Dean.

Sister Fics- Donít really have an opinion on this type of story, donít read them so I wonít cast stones.

OCís- Now Iím on the fence about this. Done correctly adding an OC into a story can actually make it more interesting and give it an added depth that it just wouldnít have if it focused solely on the boys. Now everything has itís time and place and that is especially true when dealing OCís. Now done wrong OCís can detract from a story, especially if the story focuses on the OC and not on the boys.

Bad Grammar/Punctuation- Okay, I will agree on this. Bad grammar and punctuation is the quickest way to turn me off of a story. Itís painful to look at and painful to read. If itís a few minor mistakes, usually Iím already so caught up in the story that I honestly donít even notice them.

Brotherhood AU stories- Donít know too much about this type of SPN story, so once again I wonít cast stones.

Nicknames- This is another thin where if itís done well and itís believable then I will let it slide. Like if Sam is injured or a toddler, then I have absolutely no problem with it. Now when it comes to John calling Dean ďAceĒ, if itís teenchester it doesnít bother me, if its when theyíre adults it can kind of throw a wrench into the story. Generally since itís such a small detail I normally over look it if the plot line is good enough.

Fanon=Cannon- Okay so the whole thing about Dean taking the bed nearest the door is actually something Iíve noticed in the show. Now before everyone starts disagreeing with me let me finish. Yes he does take the bed nearest the door but then again so does Sam. Itís actually pretty even on who gets that particular bed, so when I read it in a story I just let it go since itís never been a major part of the plot and it is really a very small detail.

John-bashing- Now this is something else Iím on the fence about. In the show, at least to me, it has been implied that John was a less than perfect father and at times drank to excess. Given the right set of circumstances and a fanfic author can make a plausible situation where he is abusive, Iíll read it. In fact some of the best written stories Iíve read involve John being abusive and Dean taking custody of Sam.

Excessive whumping- Okay this can easily get over the top but again like many things in the SPN fanfic world, it also has itís time and place. If it can be made plausible and is realistic, then put in all the whumpage you want. If the story is well written, has a good plot, and eventually the boys get better then Iím cool with it.

Unrealistic Whumping- Unlike excessive whumping, unrealistic whumping can be a major pitfall of many stories. Please remember, if you are going to hurt someone make sure the injuries are either; A.) minor enough that you can give him a good amount of them but they wont hinder his movement and ability to protect himself, or B.) 1 or two major ones, that are slow enough to be noticed until he is taken to hospital or that he can realistically ignore until saved or found.

Drabbles- Okay these do kind of irritate me because they really are so good most of the time. In fact if many of the drabbles Iíve read were turned into true stories then my favorites list over on ff.com would be double the size it is now. But despite that, I still do love my drabbles.

WIP- These donít bother at all. Iím happy to wait around for a new chapter, if the story is good enough I can easily wait weeks or longer for a new chapter to be put up and be perfectly content until it does. And more often then not, for the ones Iíve read at least, they are usually finished eventually.

Destiel/Sabriel- Okay, now these two pairings are something I generally stay away from. I like seeing Sam and Dean have a more brotherly relationship with Cas and or Gabriel, especially when it centers on the less looked upon Sam/Cas angle.

General Slash- If itís written well and isnít the focal point of the story then I donít mind it.

Crossovers- Now crossovers are a gray area for me. I like some but not others. It depends on what show is being crossed with SPN, and if itís believable or not. Because frankly Iíve seen some pretty far fetched x-overs out there and those are the ones that really just bug me the most.

AU- I actually love this kind of fic. It allows us writers to put the boys into situations that they otherwise would be in. It also allows writers to further flesh out canon characters(e.g. Caleb, Josh, Pastor Jim etc.) and give them a more rich history. AUís also allow for, what I like to call, what-if scenarios. And its these kind of AUís that change stuff right from the start that usually end up being not only the most intriguing but also some of the best written stories I end up reading.

RodneyIsGodney
July 17th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Hey Melia.:)

I agree with everything you've said. And, about Destial, normally I too stay away from them (as I've sais before in here). However, there is the odd occasion where there's been no warnings or tags specifying the story's Destialness so I will read it....but not all of it. Unless, it's written well and not overtly in-your-face Destial. I've read a few that were funny, and I was only able to enjoy them because the Destialness was subtle or part of the story but not the main focus. Sometimes the writer will say "Could be read as Destial if you squint"...9 times out of 10 I won't check the story out.

I will read a summary that sounds great, something that I really like to read bout, an idea that I love but then I'll notice that it's followed by a Destial tag (or Wincest) tag and I'll be like, "Crap. I won't read that one now." This really salt and burns me.>.<

It seems that Destial and Sabrial are more popular then ever amongst fanfic writers these days. It's all I seem to see on ff.net and that's unfortunate for those of us who are not of that persuasion.

www.supernaturalville.net is a great (big) SPN fanfic archive. There are 10 categories, I stick to General (http://www.supernaturalville.net/browse.php?type=categories&id=10) myself. Also, you can change the skin on the site, there are only two choices, Fire and Zenlike. I prefer Zenlike, it's easier on the eyes.;)

RodneyIsGodney
January 21st, 2013, 04:05 PM
I may have already brought this up but it bears/needs repeating...

I simply cannot stand it when a writer confuses "defiantly" with "definitely". God, I just want to scream at them! This drives me crazy on so many levels... Almost every time I see "defiantly" it used wrong, or in place of "definitely". I think I only saw it used correctly once. UGH! I really hate that word!

Freckles
January 22nd, 2013, 10:09 AM
I read one the other day that as soon as I read the line I couldn't stop giggling.

Something like "A warm ham ran up his leg"
http://cf.ltkcdn.net/cooking/images/std/151525-382x314-Spiral-ham.jpg
A WARM HAM! I'm still giggling.

The Urban Spaceman
February 24th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Sorry for bumping a somewhat old thread, but I just wanted to comment on a couple of things

(At this point in time, I haven't read any SPN Fanfic whatsoever -- though I am currently writing one. I do, however, like to think about things a lot, so wanted to add some cents).

On the subject of Dean always depicted as sleeping in the bed nearest the door

I must admit, I am guilty of this too (though as my fic doesn't follow the brothers all that much, I've only described it once). I think the premise comes from the fact that the door is the usual point of entry to a building, and especially so in a hotel/motel. Therefore, if something's going to come at you, it's usually going to be through the door. In my mind, John Winchester will have told a young Dean "Make sure you always take the bed nearest the door" before going off and leaving the brothers alone whilst he hunted. This way, the older, more knowledgeable and better-armed brother would be the first one any potential attacker might encounter. And I personally believe that this is a habit which would have stuck as the boys were growing up.

Yes, I actually thought about this before I wrote it out in my fic, but it made me smile when I saw it questioned here -- it's good to know I'm not the only one who anally thinks about the minutiae.

A lot of the other things 'nitpicked' are normally common-sense things like SPAG and being able to form coherent sentences. One thing pointed out which interested me though, was how (in particular), American fans of the show very easily pick up on non-standard US vocabulary. As a speaker of proper English (;)) I'm trying really hard to ensure it's mostly Americanisms which end up in my fic (trunk and hood, rather than boot and bonnet, sidewalk rather than pavement, etc) and though I do use my normal spelling for words such as colour and sulphur (it's been sulphur here since the fourteenth century, dammit!) I do try my hardest to make sure that when my characters are speaking, they speak American English (unless they're from different countries, which some indeed are). Switching between the two is a ball-ache at times but I do think it adds to the authenticity.

warrior_chic also mentioned realism (ie, knowing how far places are apart) and I absolutely agree. Most of the fics I read are relating to gaming (D&D, Mass Effect) and the authors usually tend to be very good on distances (itís a nerd thing, I guess) but TV shows are, IMO, more... Ďavailableí to Joe Public than, say, Neverwinter Nights or Baldurís Gate. It would annoy the hell out of me if people starting making random stuff up about my country, so I can see why it irks a lot of fanfic readers. Personally I research -everything- before committing it to word; all my towns/cities are either real, or based off real ones, and I make sure I read up about a county and a state before I set a chapter in it, so I have a semi-decent idea about the geography, the weather, the land usage, the people, etc. Iíve learnt a lot about the US since I started writing my fic, and Iím sure thereís much, much more for me to learn. I really must visit it somebody. One thing I always fall over on, however, is street names. I am crap at coming up with US street names. I hear a lot about buildings being on Ďthe corner of so and soí when I watch American TV, which I really struggle to emulate, because roads here donít really have corners and theyíre rarely straight. If anyone wants to give me tips on good names for American streets, and how to phrase them, Iím all ears!

On the subject of kid-vocabulary, I absolutely agree with RodneyIsGodney. I think some people are just absolutely clueless about child development.

Shortening of names, particularly Dean -- Yes, that, I imagine, is annoying. There are some instances when itís funny (Gabriel calling Lucifer ďLuciĒ for example) and some instances where itís necessary and fitting (ďCastielĒ is unnecessarily formal when ĎCasí or ĎCassí has already been established).

Where Wincest is concerned Iíve yet to read any and donít particularly want to. As mentioned by many (and by the characters themselves) they are brothers. I can understand the hurt/comfort aspect but theyíre brothers. My mind just says AVOID. Mostly the same with any slash, really. I donít mind reading about two characters going at it like bunnies, as long as itís relevant to the story thatís being told, and those characters at that particular time. But I donít want to read a whole story dedicated entirely to it. Similarly, I deem certain character relationships as too out-of-character to be feasible. For example, I canít get my head around Wincest as the guys are brothers and clearly interested in women (despite Deanís man-crush on Dr Sexy, MD). Iíve also observed that thereís a whooole lot of Dean/Castiel pairings out there (as mentioned above, havenít read any) and if itís just an elaboration of the already-established bromance then I could get on board with that, but I sorta see Castiel almost as an anti-Balthazar, ie, one of the most innocent and non-hedonistic angels ever to have fallen out of the sky. He worries about being in a brothel, whereas the first thing Balthazar does after coming to Earth is pretty much open his own. Therefore, I canít really imagine a Dean/Cas slash pairing (nor do I want to, it would just ruin both characters for me).

mrscopterdoc
February 25th, 2013, 08:26 AM
If anyone wants to give me tips on good names for American streets, and how to phrase them, Iím all ears!

I don't write fan fic, or read much either but ^this I can help with :P

If you stick with nature themed names, you can never go wrong. For example, Oak, Maple, Aspen. Also adding "dale" to the end of names will work, Glenndale, Ashdale, Oakdale, etc. Most every town has a Main St downtown. Every big city will have a Martin Luther King Dr or Blvd.

Inside of towns, most are Streets and Avenues. In residential areas, that is where you see a lot of Drives, Courts and Circles [like Oak Drive, Maple Court and Cherry Circle.

This is not all fact, and every city is different, but I think this might help. :)

The Urban Spaceman
February 25th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Great, thanks very much! That's a huge help, and now I have a rough template for naming things.

Apologies for RiG for taking over the thread. I now return it to the nit-picking. ;)

mrscopterdoc
February 25th, 2013, 09:13 AM
you are welcome and I love helping with stuff like this, so if you ever need anything else, please let me know. I also beta. :)

The Urban Spaceman
February 25th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Cheers, consider yourself conscripted as my American Culture Advisor! If you don't mind, I'll send you a PM (or whatever equivalent this forum has, I forget) to bounce a couple of ideas off you. I don't normally ask for feedback/input until I've started publishing chapters, but I intend to write this story fully before publishing anything, because I don't want to keep an audience hanging from chapter to chapter, and it would be good to get some initial feedback from 1) a fan of the show, 2) somebody who doesn't read fanfic and might be a bit more impartial.

Back on the nitpicking, I definitely agree with long author notes. I can tolerate a medium-sized note at the beginning, rather like a foreword, and if necessary at the end of a chapter to make a farewell speech, but when they're at the beginning and/or end of every chapter they just get soooo annoying if they're more than a few words. And even a few words can interrupt the flow of a story.

Also, authors who break their own rules, or retcon badly. Once something's established in a story, everything relevant to it should conform to it, and if the rule has to be broken, it should be done so in a way that is understood by the readers. Similarly, established patterns of behaviour for a character should be maintained until the character brings them into question, to help establish realism and continuity. There's nothing worse than when an author starts writing a character doing things which goes against their very nature.

mrscopterdoc
February 25th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Cheers, consider yourself conscripted as my American Culture Advisor! If you don't mind, I'll send you a PM (or whatever equivalent this forum has, I forget) to bounce a couple of ideas off you. I don't normally ask for feedback/input until I've started publishing chapters, but I intend to write this story fully before publishing anything, because I don't want to keep an audience hanging from chapter to chapter, and it would be good to get some initial feedback from 1) a fan of the show, 2) somebody who doesn't read fanfic and might be a bit more impartial.
Awesome! :D PM me anytime.....

RodneyIsGodney
February 27th, 2013, 11:52 AM
A lot of the other things 'nitpicked' are normally common-sense things like SPAG and being able to form coherent sentences. One thing pointed out which interested me though, was how (in particular), American fans of the show very easily pick up on non-standard US vocabulary. As a speaker of proper English (;)) I'm trying really hard to ensure it's mostly Americanisms which end up in my fic (trunk and hood, rather than boot and bonnet, sidewalk rather than pavement, etc) and though I do use my normal spelling for words such as colour and sulphur (it's been sulphur here since the fourteenth century, dammit!) I do try my hardest to make sure that when my characters are speaking, they speak American English (unless they're from different countries, which some indeed are). Switching between the two is a ball-ache at times but I do think it adds to the authenticity.
I don't mind the British spelling of words, that I can deal with. Centre vs center et.al. But making the boys speak "proper English" just drives me nuts!

On the subject of kid-vocabulary, I absolutely agree with RodneyIsGodney. I think some people are just absolutely clueless about child development.
Unless the child in question is very smart/gifted, then I can let it slide.

Where Wincest is concerned Iíve yet to read any and donít particularly want to. As mentioned by many (and by the characters themselves) they are brothers. I can understand the hurt/comfort aspect but theyíre brothers. My mind just says AVOID. Mostly the same with any slash, really. I donít mind reading about two characters going at it like bunnies, as long as itís relevant to the story thatís being told, and those characters at that particular time. But I donít want to read a whole story dedicated entirely to it.
I agree. The other thing that makes me run way screaming is when the author uses words like "lover" to refer to either guy's significant other. Just...NO!!!

Dean said it best when he said: "They do know we're brothers, right?" Right???

Similarly, I deem certain character relationships as too out-of-character to be feasible. For example, I canít get my head around Wincest as the guys are brothers and clearly interested in women (despite Deanís man-crush on Dr Sexy, MD). Iíve also observed that thereís a whooole lot of Dean/Castiel pairings out there (as mentioned above, havenít read any) and if itís just an elaboration of the already-established bromance then I could get on board with that, but I sorta see Castiel almost as an anti-Balthazar, ie, one of the most innocent and non-hedonistic angels ever to have fallen out of the sky. He worries about being in a brothel, whereas the first thing Balthazar does after coming to Earth is pretty much open his own. Therefore, I canít really imagine a Dean/Cas slash pairing (nor do I want to, it would just ruin both characters for me).
God save me from all the Destialness on ff.net! I've read many an intriguing summary that was ruined by theDestial tag. Or the warning that it's a Dean/Cas fic. I see that and go "Aw Crap! That story looked really good too!" Or "Dammit! I would so read that if it wasn't Destial!" Because that aspect just puts a damper on the fic for me. I wanna see Dean raising a daughter just...NOT WITH CAS!!!

]
Apologies for RiG for taking over the thread. I now return it to the nit-picking. ;)
No promlemo! That's what it's here for!;)

The Urban Spaceman
February 27th, 2013, 04:29 PM
But making the boys speak "proper English" just drives me nuts!

Maybe they think they're preparing the boys for meeting the Queen. :D

Aw man, now I want to see SPN ripping off James Bond. Dean would make an excellent Bond -- he's even got an awesome car, though it's not an Aston. Sam could be Q, especially now that he's got his secret Men Of Letters base and the secret Men Of Letters decoder ring, he would make an excellent head of R&D. Bobby could have been M, but maybe now that job will have to fall to Cas. Or Garth could be M, and we could have Castiel take a chick as a vessel and be the Bond Girl.

I must find somebody to write this...

I agree. The other thing that makes me run way screaming is when the author uses words like "lover" to refer to either guy's significant other. Just...NO!!!

Have you seen the phrase "He's my brother and my lover" come up anywhere yet? You just know that you're going to have to end your life rather than live in a world which has that calibre of writing in it.

God save me from all the Destialness on ff.net! I've read many an intriguing summary that was ruined by theDestial tag. Or the warning that it's a Dean/Cas fic. I see that and go "Aw Crap! That story looked really good too!" Or "Dammit! I would so read that if it wasn't Destial!" Because that aspect just puts a damper on the fic for me. I wanna see Dean raising a daughter just...NOT WITH CAS!!!

I purposely never put character tags in my fics just so that people will have to read it to find out who's involved and judge the story for what it is, rather than who's screwing who (in my fics, people rarely get screwed in that sense, though sometimes they get metaphorically screwed). Granted, this probably means 90% of people who are searching for a particular pairing might never even glance at my stories, but I firmly believe in going for quality, not quantity.

Dean raising a daughter would be hilarious -- I can imagine the teenage years, they would involve him locking potential boyfriends in a small room and questioning them for hours about their intentions, followed shortly after by "the speech". All of this, of course, after future potential boyfriends have been subjected to assault by holy water, salt, and silver blade. I reckon that's probably enough to scare off most guys. And as Dean has been "that guy" who hits on anything with legs, he of course would know all the tricks in the book. Hell, he could probably rewrite the book. And even when his daughter is 35 and happily married, he'd probably still send Uncle Cas to check up on her from time to time.

RodneyIsGodney
February 28th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Okay, reading a fic now where the author has given Dean a broken leg but decides that Dean can still walk. And then, once Dean reaches his destination (the Impala), the author describes his leg as "hanging at an unnatural angle". I mean, COME ON! REALLY??? Unrealistic much?

Obviously this person had never had a broken leg. Or a broken anything for that matter. When you break something it hurts like hell. It swells, bruises and you can't move it whatsoever. Believe me, I know. I broke the knuckle of my left middle finger in high school, playing basketball in gym class. Jammed it real good on the ball. It swelled up but good and I had to go to the hospital and get it taken care of. Had a splint taped to it. It went from the tip of my poor finger right to the middle of my palm. Well, it ran along under the finger, but still.

Spaceman, I am not ignoring you, I just had to get that off my chest. I will post a response to your post tomorrow as it is late now and I have to get to bed.

The Urban Spaceman
March 1st, 2013, 12:19 AM
That's okay, I mostly post for my own amusement, not to get responses. :p

I do agree that the whole broken limb situation is just ridiculous, though. Even if the fracture isn't compound it is still a painful and often traumatic injury, and a broken leg should prevent walking completely. Maybe the author wrote Dean high on painkillers or something. :D

RodneyIsGodney
March 1st, 2013, 12:54 PM
Maybe they think they're preparing the boys for meeting the Queen. :D
Hey, maybe!:P

Aw man, now I want to see SPN ripping off James Bond. Dean would make an excellent Bond -- he's even got an awesome car, though it's not an Aston. Sam could be Q, especially now that he's got his secret Men Of Letters base and the secret Men Of Letters decoder ring, he would make an excellent head of R&D. Bobby could have been M, but maybe now that job will have to fall to Cas. Or Garth could be M, and we could have Castiel take a chick as a vessel and be the Bond Girl.
I totally agree about Dean being an excellent Bond but...Cas as a Bond Girl? No offense but, that's just wrong. Jo should be the Bond Girl and Ellen should be M. She acted as an important maternal figure for him (in Casino Royale) and that is just what Ellen became for Dean (and Sam). And, yes Sam as Q makes perfect sense.

I must find somebody to write this...
Well, it won't be me. I'm not really that good. I mean, okay, yeah, the SPN role-playing game here on GW was my idea but I have stalled the RPG as it's been my turn to write something (for the last few months) and I have had the worst case of writer's block ever. I feel so bad for the other's involved.:(

Have you seen the phrase "He's my brother and my lover" come up anywhere yet? You just know that you're going to have to end your life rather than live in a world which has that calibre of writing in it.
No I haven't but you're absofeakinlutelyright.

I purposely never put character tags in my fics just so that people will have to read it to find out who's involved and judge the story for what it is, rather than who's screwing who (in my fics, people rarely get screwed in that sense, though sometimes they get metaphorically screwed). Granted, this probably means 90% of people who are searching for a particular pairing might never even glance at my stories, but I firmly believe in going for quality, not quantity.
Oh, you sneaky little thing you!

Dean raising a daughter would be hilarious -- I can imagine the teenage years, they would involve him locking potential boyfriends in a small room and questioning them for hours about their intentions, followed shortly after by "the speech". All of this, of course, after future potential boyfriends have been subjected to assault by holy water, salt, and silver blade. I reckon that's probably enough to scare off most guys. And as Dean has been "that guy" who hits on anything with legs, he of course would know all the tricks in the book. Hell, he could probably rewrite the book. And even when his daughter is 35 and happily married, he'd probably still send Uncle Cas to check up on her from time to time.
LOL! So true!:P:D

And, Dean pretty much did that in the fic I was reading last night. Well, in the last chapter anyway.

Those Left Behind (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9029019/8/Those-Left-Behind) <---the link in case you want to check it out. Takes you right to the last chapter. The story actually starts when she is a baby. It's not complete though. WIP.;)

His adoptive daughter brings a boy home for him to meet and there Dean is polishing one of his guns while the rest are strewn about him. It was awesome. He was awesome! I think he really would do what he did in that chapter.

That's okay, I mostly post for my own amusement, not to get responses. :p
Ah. Good.

I do agree that the whole broken limb situation is just ridiculous, though. Even if the fracture isn't compound it is still a painful and often traumatic injury, and a broken leg should prevent walking completely. Maybe the author wrote Dean high on painkillers or something. :D
Well, he had stolen some morphine from "some ladies house" but I wasn't sure when he was supposed to have done it. Maybe, maybe if you read it you might understand it better.

The Urban Spaceman
March 3rd, 2013, 02:27 PM
Thanks RiG, I had a read of that fanfic and whilst I'm happy I'm not mentally scarred by reading terrible, terrible slash things, it's reminded me of another fanfic pet-peeve: People who post short chapters! I don't know why, but chapters consisting of only a few hundred words irritate me. I'd rather see one well-written long chapter than several mediocre short ones. I get the impression that sometimes, people post short chapters to keep their stories up on the 'newly updated' lists and increase their hits/traffic.

Also another thing that irritates: Massive time jumps between chapters. Alright, sometimes we all have to do it, but if that's the case you really need to spend more than one or two sentences explaining the past 10 or so years, otherwise the story just lacks substance.

Aaaand one last thing: Calling Sam & Dean "boys" in the last chapter, when Dean's gotta be at least 45 years old by that point. Can't say I think much of that particular story, mostly it seems like fluff. Sorry if you do like it, though. :(

RodneyIsGodney
March 3rd, 2013, 05:51 PM
Thanks RiG, I had a read of that fanfic and whilst I'm happy I'm not mentally scarred by reading terrible, terrible slash things, it's reminded me of another fanfic pet-peeve: People who post short chapters! I don't know why, but chapters consisting of only a few hundred words irritate me. I'd rather see one well-written long chapter than several mediocre short ones. I get the impression that sometimes, people post short chapters to keep their stories up on the 'newly updated' lists and increase their hits/traffic.
You're welcome. And, yeah, her chapters are rather short. But, sometimes I don't mind short chapters. Like, when I'm up late, reading a fic in bed. I'll be like: I'll stop when I get to the end of the chapter. It's hard to do with long chapters, specially if your not a fast reader.:o But, I hate short chapters when the story is sooooo good you just want more!

Also another thing that irritates: Massive time jumps between chapters. Alright, sometimes we all have to do it, but if that's the case you really need to spend more than one or two sentences explaining the past 10 or so years, otherwise the story just lacks substance.
Yes, I agree! Specially with this story I linked to. I wanted to see more of little Jo with Dean.

Aaaand one last thing: Calling Sam & Dean "boys" in the last chapter, when Dean's gotta be at least 45 years old by that point.
I know what you mean but, they will always be The Winchester Boys to me.;)

Can't say I think much of that particular story, mostly it seems like fluff. Sorry if you do like it, though. :(
Hey, no need to apologize. To each their own.;)

The Urban Spaceman
March 23rd, 2013, 06:39 AM
Something else that irritates me, not necessarily about the stories, but about the writers; Begging for reviews. Or insinuating that if a story gets more reviews, then updates will be released faster. I have nothing against authors interacting with their audiences, but I dislike the review-whoring that often goes on. Personally, I update to a fixed schedule, so that readers know when the next update is coming -- if they want to review, that's great, but they can do so knowing that the story is something more than a review-farming piece of work.

Freckles
May 2nd, 2013, 06:26 AM
I have read this particular one in a few now and it bugs me inordinately. I think the writers are pretty young, so maybe they just don't realize that if the Impala were to get wrecked, airbags would not go off because in 1967 airbags had not been invented yet. It amazes me that kids nowadays wouldn't know that a car exists that doesn't have them built in.
The thought that they would get put into Baby makes me cringe.

RodneyIsGodney
May 2nd, 2013, 08:04 PM
Something else that irritates me, not necessarily about the stories, but about the writers; Begging for reviews. Or insinuating that if a story gets more reviews, then updates will be released faster. I have nothing against authors interacting with their audiences, but I dislike the review-whoring that often goes on. Personally, I update to a fixed schedule, so that readers know when the next update is coming -- if they want to review, that's great, but they can do so knowing that the story is something more than a review-farming piece of work.
Oh, I hate that too! It's just so wrong! It's a big turn off for me. When I see that in a summary I just walk away.

I have read this particular one in a few now and it bugs me inordinately. I think the writers are pretty young, so maybe they just don't realize that if the Impala were to get wrecked, airbags would not go off because in 1967 airbags had not been invented yet. It amazes me that kids nowadays wouldn't know that a car exists that doesn't have them built in.
*cringes with Freckles* Yeah, that's another type of thing I hate seeing in stories. And, it's the kind of thing I'd just have to tell the author about because I wouldn't be able to read anymore until I have done so. I'd just be to irked!

Along those lines, I'm reading a story where the author has Dean's 9 year old daughter comparing the sight of the dead bodies in the house (as well as the house) in "The Magnificent Seven" to the pilot episode of The Walking Dead. I mean, come on! I how dense to you have to be not know that TWD was not on tv back when season 3 of SPN was airing???

The Urban Spaceman
May 3rd, 2013, 12:20 AM

I was driving some friends around in my car, and one of said friends (nearly a decade younger than me) pointed to my car's choke and asked "What's that?" I told him it was the choke and he gave me the blankest look ever.

I died a little inside. -__-

That said, my latest car (2001 reg) and my bike (2010-built, 2011-reg) don't have choke, it's all computer-controlled fuel injection or whatever. I think it's sad that advances in motoring lead to a dumbing down of knowledge, but I guess if you stuck me in front of one of the old manual-crank cars, I'd look at it with a similarly blank expression (though having seen plenty of old films, I'd have a rough idea of how to work it).

Totally agree with you RiG. I have anachronisms like that as it totally ruins the continuity for me.

RodneyIsGodney
May 3rd, 2013, 07:42 PM
I was driving some friends around in my car, and one of said friends (nearly a decade younger than me) pointed to my car's choke and asked "What's that?" I told him it was the choke and he gave me the blankest look ever.

I died a little inside. -__-

That said, my latest car (2001 reg) and my bike (2010-built, 2011-reg) don't have choke, it's all computer-controlled fuel injection or whatever. I think it's sad that advances in motoring lead to a dumbing down of knowledge, but I guess if you stuck me in front of one of the old manual-crank cars, I'd look at it with a similarly blank expression (though having seen plenty of old films, I'd have a rough idea of how to work it).
Um... I (think) have no idea what a choke is other than that boat engines (Johnsons) have them. Thanks to an Alan Jackson song. Didn't know cars had them. Certainly not in the US. That I know of.

Totally agree with you RiG. I have anachronisms like that as it totally ruins the continuity for me.
Have Anachronisms??? ...Oh, wait, think that's supposed to be hate. Sorry, I was confused there for minute. I blame it on not feeling well tonight.:o Also, on being too dense to know what anachronism means. Guess I was absent from school that day.

Sparky She-Demon
May 8th, 2013, 10:06 AM
What's the current opinion on OC fics?

The Urban Spaceman
May 9th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Um... I (think) have no idea what a choke is other than that boat engines (Johnsons) have them. Thanks to an Alan Jackson song. Didn't know cars had them. Certainly not in the US. That I know of.

Maybe not in the US, but you guys don't really have manual clutch either, so there are some differences. I've had one car with choke, one without, one bike with choke, one without. Just really controls the fuel mixture that goes into the engine, can help to start a 'cold' engine more easily.

Never had a kick-start bike though. :D

Have Anachronisms??? ...Oh, wait, think that's supposed to be hate. Sorry, I was confused there for minute. I blame it on not feeling well tonight.:o Also, on being too dense to know what anachronism means. Guess I was absent from school that day.

Anachronism: Noun. 1.Something located at a time when it could not have existed or occurred. 2.An artifact that belongs to another time. 3.A person who seems to be displaced in time; who belongs to another age.

Too fancy a word for my school-days as well, but just 'cos school stops doesn't mean the learnin' does! :D

What's the current opinion on OC fics?

I really don't mind them. All of my short stories so far have been about established characters (Arch-angels, Bobby, Meg) but I'm writing a novel+ length story involving an OC with plenty of established-character cameos and interactions. I think it can work well as long as the audience isn't asked to suspend belief too far. And I'd rather not read about a Mary-Sue OC, or an OC who's clearly a stand-in for the author's self, and mostly only in the story to fall in love with Sam/Dean/Cas/any other character and follow said love-interest around like a lost puppy. Fantasy is all well and good, and people are well within their rights to write about their fantasies... I just don't particularly want to read them.

So... THUMBS UP FOR A COOL OC!

(In my novel+ story, my OC also meets other OC and has lots of OC adventures, as well as having interactions with established characters, and that's one thing that I love about fanfiction; writing not just one OC, but a whole bunch of OCs who develop their own friendships and relationships and may interact with established cannon characters and events but are not necessarily governed by them.)

Sparky She-Demon
May 9th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Okay, thanks. I've created an OC angel.

The Urban Spaceman
May 9th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Ditto! Angels are so cool :) Except the ones that are douchebags. :thoranime07:

Sparky She-Demon
May 9th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Ditto! Angels are so cool :) Except the ones that are douchebags. :thoranime07:

Naomi comes to mind. This angel actively doesn't like Naomi, who doesn't like her much either, but needs her.

RodneyIsGodney
May 9th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Maybe not in the US, but you guys don't really have manual clutch either, so there are some differences. I've had one car with choke, one without, one bike with choke, one without. Just really controls the fuel mixture that goes into the engine, can help to start a 'cold' engine more easily.

Never had a kick-start bike though. :D
Ah. Got it.;)

Anachronism: Noun. 1.Something located at a time when it could not have existed or occurred. 2.An artifact that belongs to another time. 3.A person who seems to be displaced in time; who belongs to another age.
I know what the word means thanks to Google. It was the fact that you typed "have" instead of "hate" that through me. As I had stated. I know I also said I didn't know what anachronism meant but I did look it up before I posted so I knew what it meant when...OH, THIS IS SO CONFUSING RIGHT NOW! I can't make my thoughts make sense when I type them up so I'm just gonna go ahead and stop trying now. Besides, I'm tired. Sorry.

Too fancy a word for my school-days as well, but just 'cos school stops doesn't mean the learnin' does! :D
Aint that the truth!:D

I don't mind OC's if they're written well. And most of the ones I've met are very well written.;) So, go for it Sparky!;)

The Urban Spaceman
May 9th, 2013, 11:30 PM
Yeah sorry, I was rushing to get to work and didn't noticed I'd typo'd 'hate' to 'have.' Glad you got it in the end though :D

Sparky She-Demon
May 10th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the help guys!

Sparky She-Demon
May 14th, 2013, 06:29 PM
The story is up! It's titled, "From the Darkness".

The Urban Spaceman
May 15th, 2013, 05:22 AM
Interesting start. A little too much 'tell' and not enough 'show' for my tastes, but otherwise easy, uncomplicated introduction to your OC. Your sentences are a little fractured (disassociating action from dialogue) but that can be easily rectified by your inner-editor.

I would mention, though, that it might be better for you to put a link directly to the story in your signature. Otherwise readers getting there from this forum will have to click one of your other stories, then your profile, then scroll through a massive amount of generic chain-letter style "put this in your profile if XYZ" and unrelated chaos just to get to what you want them to read. Otherwise it essentially tramples all over the Three Click Rule (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-click_rule).

Sparky She-Demon
May 15th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Interesting start. A little too much 'tell' and not enough 'show' for my tastes, but otherwise easy, uncomplicated introduction to your OC. Your sentences are a little fractured (disassociating action from dialogue) but that can be easily rectified by your inner-editor.

I would mention, though, that it might be better for you to put a link directly to the story in your signature. Otherwise readers getting there from this forum will have to click one of your other stories, then your profile, then scroll through a massive amount of generic chain-letter style "put this in your profile if XYZ" and unrelated chaos just to get to what you want them to read. Otherwise it essentially tramples all over the Three Click Rule (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-click_rule).

I put a link to From the Darkness in my sigline. It is the last one.

What do you think of Vasilisa?

The Urban Spaceman
May 15th, 2013, 01:42 PM
What do you think of Vasilisa?

I can't form an opinion about an OC in 800 words, a single character interaction, and a few paragraphs of narrative.

8000 words, maybe.

80,0000 words, definitely.

Sparky She-Demon
May 15th, 2013, 02:21 PM
I should get to writing then. So you can decide on what you think of her!

RodneyIsGodney
May 15th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Yeah sorry, I was rushing to get to work and didn't noticed I'd typo'd 'hate' to 'have.' Glad you got it in the end though :D
Me too.:D

RodneyIsGodney
May 19th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Okay, here's another one...

Changing scenes without warning...just NO! You cannot go from one scene to a totally different scene without some sort of transition, or a line break, something! Specially if the next scene starts with dialogue...so confusing! You think you're still reading the same scene until you realize, a few seconds in, that WAIT A MINUTE, THIS IS A DIFFERENT/NEW SCENE! UGH!!!

Is it really that hard to write "Five minutes later." or "Back at the motel"? I mean, really!

The fic I'm reading now is chock-full of this but it's too good (for me) to let the above flaw stop me from reading it.

Here is a sample what I'm talking about:
"We just ate like two hours ago," Dean says, glancing over at his daughter who is giving him a 'seriously?' look. Dean sighs. "Fine, we'll stop to grab something to eat."

Dean pulls into the parking lot and parks the car. He and Gracilynn climb out of the car and make their way to the door. Dean holds the door open, trying to hide a smirk as his daughter begins to enter the diner.

"Careful, there's a spider hanging there," Dean says off-handedly.

"What?" Gracilynn yelps, springing backwards and looking in the doorway for the spider. She hears her dad laughing next to her and she looks over at him, sending him a glare.

"Jerk," Gracilynn says, punching her father in the arm before she enters the diner. Dean chuckles as he follows her inside, rubbing his arm where she punched him. Damn, she packs a punch. A proud smile finds its' way across his face. That's my girl.

"Okay, so there's been ten missing persons within the past six months. All male, all in the marshes," Gracilynn says, reading the research her dad did early, sprawled out on the bed.

"Yeah," Dean says.

"So, what? Is it like a Maid of the Mist?" Gracilynn asks, scrunching up her face, "Or whatever it's called."

"I think that's a boat up in Niagara Falls," Dean says, smirking.
It's painfully obvious where the scene change is.:mckay:

The Urban Spaceman
May 20th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Ugh, tell me about it! I just don't understand why some writers can't factor in a simple transition. They've managed it on TV, in film, and on the stage... an actor's script will provide the transition, and then later in post-production all the fade-ins or fade-outs, or black-outs, are put in place... hell, in some films/TV, they actually tell you via text where the current scene is taking place! (<3 the X-Files way of doing it).

So why is it so hard for fanfic writers to do it??? Hell, even Terry Pratchett, who doesn't write in chapters, manages to add in scene transitions.

Saying that, though, back in "the old days" of fanfiction.net, I used a particular series of characters (* * * * *) to indicate a transition between scenes (because their old horizontal line was butt-ugly) and they randomly decided one day, "hey, let's make it so that asterisks no longer appear in peoples' fics, just to piss off everybody who ever uses them to transition between scenes!" and when I found out I was like OHMYGODWHERETHEHELLAREMYASTERISKS?!? By that point my main story was at about 65 chapters and some 400,000 words and I had to go aaaaaaall the way back through it from the very beginning and put in a new transition sequence that I hoped to god they wouldn't screw with again (I chose the more boring combination of alternating o - o - o - o - o as I thought the chances of them filtering out the letter 'o' and hyphens was very slim, despite their overall idiocy).

So yeah, sometimes bad stuff like this happens. What I learnt: Don't make your transition breaks non-essential characters like * or ~ because the second your host starts filtering those out, your story is ****ed.

But yes I agree with you. Thus ends today's angry spaceman rant.

Sparky She-Demon
May 29th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Is there anything angels can't do?

Gatefan1976
May 30th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Is there anything angels can't do?

Not be D**ks? :P

Sparky She-Demon
May 31st, 2013, 08:13 AM
Not be D**ks? :P

Funny, but I meant in terms of powers.

RodneyIsGodney
May 31st, 2013, 02:16 PM
They can't bring someone back from the dead. Only their father has that power.

Although, Cas did rescue Dean from hell...and he was dead, so...now I dunno.

The Urban Spaceman
June 5th, 2013, 04:59 AM
They can't bring someone back from the dead. Only their father has that power.

Although, Cas did rescue Dean from hell...and he was dead, so...now I dunno.

Actually, they brought back Adam. And the arch-angels continually comment that if Sam/Dean were to die, they would simply be brought back. Michael also brings back Sam (in 1970-whatever) and Mary (so that Sam can be born), and Cas brings back Bobby.

I believe angels can't bring back other angels; once an angel bites the dust, it's forever, unless said angel happens to be Castiel, who is brought back (twice) by God, and believes he is cursed with not being able to die.

That said, Sparky, there is a buttload of wiki information dedicated to angels and their abilities when at full-power or when cast out of Heaven, or when fallen. I suggest you utilise said source as I really CBA to type out everything I know about angels off the top of my head. And frankly, you shouldn't base your 'facts' of message-board hearsay.

RodneyIsGodney
July 5th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Actually, they brought back Adam. And the arch-angels continually comment that if Sam/Dean were to die, they would simply be brought back. Michael also brings back Sam (in 1970-whatever) and Mary (so that Sam can be born), and Cas brings back Bobby.
Oh, that's right! I forgot about poor Adam. My bad.:o And, I think I had a brainfade that day, totally forgot about Michael. Silly me.:rolleyes:

I believe angels can't bring back other angels; once an angel bites the dust, it's forever, unless said angel happens to be Castiel, who is brought back (twice) by God, and believes he is cursed with not being able to die.
Sounds about right to me.;)

Okay, I have another pet peeve and this one might be just me but...I hate that, in every kidfic I read where Dean or Sam is de-aged or when they have to take care of a child for whatever reason, they always go to Walmart or Target to buy some clothes/toys for the kid/wee Dean/wee Sam. I mean, if these writers knew Dean, really knew Dean, then they would know he would never set foot in those stores, I don't think. Also, they've never gone to those stores on the show so why would people have them go to these places in fanfics? I can't imagine where they get there own clothes from. Certainly not Walmart or Target. I just can't picture them walking the aisles in those stores. Unless they're working a hunt.

Also, McDonald's. In said kidifcs Dean almost always stops at McDonalds to get the kid something to eat. They've never been to McDonald's on the show. They frequent diners, not fast food giants.

I guess what I'm saying here is that these writers aren't being true to the show and it's characters by having them go to these places. IMHO.;) But, as I said, it's probably just me.

The Urban Spaceman
July 6th, 2013, 05:01 AM
It's not just you, but then, I don't tend to read much Sam & Dean fic, preferring to read and write about supporting characters rather than the main duo. And I'd never read any kidfic, so I've missed that privilege :D

You're totally right, though, about the little details being 'off'. I'm so conscious of making these sorts of mistakes (as a non-American, I'm not all that familiar with Americanisms beyond what I see on TV) that I've hired mrscopterdoc as my official unofficial person to run America-related questions past, and she's been a great help so far ;)

That said, even though I've heard of Walmart of course, I would never include it in a fic about Sam & Dean, just as I wouldn't put McDonalds or Burger King in it. Like you said, diners are their staple, not fast-food joints. I share your irritation about such minutiae. I don't think a lot of authors care about preserving the integrity of the show... not when it's so easy for them to make up details like that on the spot, because very few people will call them out over it. :(

RodneyIsGodney
May 22nd, 2014, 04:58 PM
Another pet peeve...in fics over all fandoms...

I am so sick of writers using the grammatically incorrect "should of" when they should be using "should've"...or "should have". IT DRIVES ME NUTS. It's so obvious that they are going by how it sounds when spoken. Also, to me anyway, it's obvious that the writers in question are quite young. Possibly teenagers still attending English classes in high school. I guess they don't use Betas...or spell check. SMH.

birthsister
May 22nd, 2014, 05:23 PM
As the mother a teenager I can't fault the teens. The state of English classes is deplorable, with new curriculum standards citing "instruction manuals" as acceptable reading to prepare students to be career ready upon graduation. Thankfully, I homeschooled a good long time so she already had a love of literature and thought most of her english class was crap anyway...but most students don't even realize this. (And now that she's home again, hopefully we can repair some of the damage the schools have done...not all students are so lucky.)

RodneyIsGodney
May 24th, 2014, 06:05 PM
As the mother a teenager I can't fault the teens. The state of English classes is deplorable, with new curriculum standards citing "instruction manuals" as acceptable reading to prepare students to be career ready upon graduation. Thankfully, I homeschooled a good long time so she already had a love of literature and thought most of her english class was crap anyway...but most students don't even realize this. (And now that she's home again, hopefully we can repair some of the damage the schools have done...not all students are so lucky.)
You make a valid point. I...think I spoke rather hastily in my previous post and I apologize for that. I didn't even have good English classes when I was in high school...I had English Lit classes more than I had proper English classes, the kind where you have a textbook. That didn't happen until college. I would have rather had a creative writing class than an English Lit class because I hated reading back then...and all the books we had to read were boring (The Cay) or DEAR GOD WHY? (Lord Of The Flies). The only book I enjoyed reading was The Catcher In The Rye. I love reading now though, much more than I used to.

birthsister
May 24th, 2014, 08:36 PM
I think when you expose children to quality literature (I actually enjoyed Lord of the Flies) they learn to pick up on the nuances of the language. Like "should have" instead of "should of". When they never see it written down, but hear it everyday as "shoulda", their own attempts at writing sometimes produce interesting results. We also have to expect a certain amount of evolution of language. Look at "spittin' image". It originally came from the phrase "spirit and image", as in "She is just the spirit and image of her mother." Of course, when the Webster dictionary is getting new words like twerk every year, I fear for the English language.

My own pet peeves aren't so much about word usage as writing style. If you make a statement in your story, then have to take a paragraph to explain it practically with bullet points (ahem...Laurell K. Hamilton..ahem) it pulls me out of the fantasy and makes me feel like I'm reading a...an instruction manual.