Babylon 5: my first time through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Babylon 5: my first time through

I just picked up seasons 1, 3-5 from best buy (2 was out of stock) and I'm sitting down to watch it for the first time.
    sigpic
    Stargate Chicago Con 2010 Attendee

Congratulations and welcome to one of the best sci-fi stories ever created. By the time you get to the middle of season 1, you'll be itching to get your hands on season 2.
    sigpic

Comment

Just finished "Midnight on the Firing Line" and I felt it was a GREAT start to the show. The effects are VERY dated, and the make-up is classic 90's but the writing/story is fantastic! It certainy seems like a timeless program from what I've seen. Can't wait for more!

4.5/5

also, what are the movies?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma626 View Post
        Just finished "Midnight on the Firing Line" and I felt it was a GREAT start to the show. The effects are VERY dated, and the make-up is classic 90's but the writing/story is fantastic! It certainy seems like a timeless program from what I've seen. Can't wait for more!

4.5/5

also, what are the movies?
        Babylon 5 essentially pioneered the VFX industry for sci-fi shows so it's not going to be on par with something Stargate Universe or its contemporaries. However, I think you'll find the writing to be superior to those shows.

As for the movies, there are a number of TV movies that accompany the series. There's also a spinoff series, Crusade, which is set in the B5 universe after the bulk of the series is over. Here's a general timeline of viewing the movies and the episodes for a first-time viewer:

Movie: The Gathering (the original Babylon 5 pilot)
        Season 1
        Season 2
        Season 3
        Season 4:

406 Into the Fire
        407 Epiphanies
        408 The Illusion of Truth
        Movie: Thirdspace
        Movie: In the Beginning
        409 Atonement
        410 Racing Mars
        411 Lines of Communication
        ... (rest of season 4)

Season 5:

520 Objects in Motion
        521 Objects at Rest
        Movie: The River of Souls
        Movie: The Legend of the Rangers
        Movie: A Call to Arms
        Crusade (13 episodes)
        The Lost Tales: Voices in the Dark
        522. Sleeping in Light

I hope that helps.
        sigpic

Comment

I just picked up seasons 1, 3-5 from best buy (2 was out of stock) and I'm sitting down to watch it for the first time.
          I started watching B5 for the first time this summer after the recommendation of a few posters here on GW. The first half of S1 was a bit tough for me to get through, but once I hit ep 8 A Sky Full of Stars and especially ep 13 Signs and Portents I was hooked. I'm almost done with S2 and the show really does seem to get better almost every episode, you've got a lot of good stuff to look forward to.

sigpic

Comment

Thoughts on "Soul Hunter":

another great episode. I like the writing and the setting a lot. It's gritty and intoxicatingly addictive. This episodes plot line was just as interesting as the pilot. It was paced well and had a good "Bad Guy" while pffereing a nice moral debate.

4.5/5
            sigpic

Comment

I didn't expect much from an early 90's sci-fi show with CGI. So I'm pleased.

And it's been easy for me so far. We'll see though
              sigpic

Comment

I didn't expect much from an early 90's sci-fi show with CGI. So I'm pleased.
                By the time of mid-season 2 onward, the style of CGI on the show will be of a completely unique visual style that still holds up today brilliantly, in my opinion.

I mean, watch the space battle from "Interludes and Examinations" and tell me that CGI is dated. It's completely in a class of its own.
                sigpic
                Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Working...
                X