PDA

View Full Version : Most overrated SF/F films

DigiFluid
November 7th, 2010, 02:23 PM
So? There's always films out there that it seems that a ton of people love and you're the only one who either hated it or gave it a "meh" at best.

Obviously this is going to be a very subjective and opinion-based thread, so please be kind to one-another :)

To this day, I have no idea why this movie gets so much attention. Terrible, terrible, horrid acting meets the most obvious of lens filters, and is introduced to bullet-time. Yeehaw? And let's not forget the uh....racial overtones :S

2001: A Space Odyssey
I love science fiction, I love classic science fiction, and I adore virtually the entire body of work directed by the masterful Stanley Kubrick. But for all its accolades, I just can't stand this movie. I find that by any standard this movie is painfully slow to watch; the bloody ship STILL crawls across the screen even if you're watching it in fast forward.

The most profitable film of all time, and an absolute credit to advancing CGI technology by leaps and bounds....but ultimately that's the only part of the movie I found interesting. Otherwise the movie was bland, uninspired, a repeat of a very tired story, and unreasonably long.

Donnie Darko
Certainly not a moneymaker, but for some reason this movie has a huge cult following (seemingly) among high school kids and university students. And for the life of me, I just can't figure out why. All it really is is It's A Wonderful Life with a talking rabbit and George commits suicide at the end instead of realizing the value of his life. Whoopee.

xxxevilgrinxxx
November 7th, 2010, 04:14 PM
300 - I liked because of the Frank Miller thing :)
2001 I have a soft spot for, but it's mostly nostalgia
I detest Avatar - it was pretty, sure, but the whole thing just stank
Donny Darko, again because of nostalgia :)

My overrated:
Armageddon

Petra
November 7th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I agree wholeheartedly about 300, Avatar and 2001: A Space Odyssey, precisely for the reasons you stated. I don't hate any of them (well, except Avatar, but that's mainly due to the hype it got), I just find them 'meh'. I really want to like 2001, but it just bores me to tears. :(

I haven't seen Donnie Darko.

As to the other movies I find overrated:

Starship Troopers (recently placed on The Guardian's TOP 25 SCI/Fantasy Movies of all Time)

Terminator trilogy - I really, really don't understand what's so good about these movies. To me they are boring, predictable and the fights - especially at the end - are rather ridiculous. The fourth movie was very different, I'm still trying to make up my mind whether it was worse or not. I don't hate them, I just think they are pretty average.

Spiderman trilogy - second movie is by far the best, and it only manages 'average'. First and third movies were incredibly bland and cliched, IMO.

The Dark Knight - now, before you start throwing things at me - I like this movie. I didn't enjoy it as much as Batman Begins, but I still like it. I love Nolan's work in general. It's just that when it comes to Batman, I'm a huge fan of Tim Burton's movies, which for me are far superior. I also much, much more prefer Jack Nicholson as Joker. So for me TDK is a good movie, but not as good as people say it is. *shrug*

Linda06
November 7th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Bladerunner _ Inever understood the fascination for that movie.

Terminator 4_ Idon't like Christian Bale and usually try to avoid films with him in thrm which is why i haven't seen any of the latest batman movies.

KEK
November 7th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Star Wars

gotthammer
November 7th, 2010, 08:25 PM
re: 300
I loved the comic book (I have both the individual issues and the large hardcover). Seeing the comic book on screen for me was great. It was over-the-top, but, then again, so was the comic. :D

re: Avatar
It was so-so, for me (so, yeah, I think it's overrated). IF it had ended with an orbital strike (kinetic, nuclear, whatever), wiping out the Smurfs, I may have loved it...but as it was, meh. I don't like the 'tree huggy' message much, either. :D
James Cameron should just make another Aliens movie (something with a cool title like: "Aliens: Colonial Marines" or "Aliens: Beserker" :D )

re: Bladerunner
Well, cyberpunk isn't for everyone. :D I loved it, and I'm still into cyberpunk (sorta, not much new stuff on that sub-genre these days. The upcoming Deus Ex game, tho', looks quite promising)

re: Starship Troopers
Book >>> movie (I mean, wasn't the movie a 'parody' of the book?)

Cold Fuzz
November 7th, 2010, 10:09 PM
2001: A Space Odyssey
I love science fiction, I love classic science fiction, and I adore virtually the entire body of work directed by the masterful Stanley Kubrick. But for all its accolades, I just can't stand this movie. I find that by any standard this movie is painfully slow to watch; the bloody ship STILL crawls across the screen even if you're watching it in fast forward.

This.

VampyreWraith
November 7th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Avatar- It was very pretty to look at and the actors were good but he characters and the story were pretty boring(despite what seemed like a 1/2hr battle in the forest) and horribly cliche imo.

300 - It was ok I guess, I didn't really see it as a big deal though.

Transformers- Revenge of the Fallen (the first one wasnt that great either imo) This had to be the biggest excuse to blow stuff up that I have ever seen. I don't even know what else this movie was about other that blowing stuff up.

Morgania
November 7th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Transformers- Revenge of the Fallen (the first one wasnt that great either imo) This had to be the biggest excuse to blow stuff up that I have ever seen. I don't even know what else this movie was about other that blowing stuff up.

It was about... um, I don't remember either. I only just remember giant robot cars and explosions.

thekillman
November 7th, 2010, 11:40 PM
and a railgun. "sir, that's top secret". top secret my ass. the navy has released lots of pictures and even videos of the tests. everyone knows they have it.

i liked this movie for, well, three reasons.

-scientific accuracy of the vehicles and spaceships. FINALLY A REALISTIC SPACESHIP.
-utter prettyness. it's 10x prettier than they told you. an orgasm for your eyes.
-nuke-free (overdone IMO)

at some point in the cinema, i started predicting the movie. having spent quite some time on TVtropes.com, that was pretty easy. still don't understand why they didn't send a torrent of arrows at the top and back of the helicopters since that obviously was their weakspot.

so it's pretty to look at. kinda like the only reason i rewatch BAMSR. i just love big space battles.

300. aside from some awesome kills, it was kinda "color coded for convenience", but then even for blind people. Spartans. six-packed, large handsome men, pretty much all with beards, leather knickers and a shield and spear. the enemy? obviously dark-colored, some ugly. all so obvious it's not funny.

Wayston
November 8th, 2010, 12:08 AM
hands down 2001: A Space Odyssey

Linda06
November 8th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Can I ask a question? What's cyberpunk?

DigiFluid
November 8th, 2010, 03:10 AM
Can I ask a question? What's cyberpunk?
A couple definitions I've stolen from Urban Dictionary:

"a subgenre of sci-fi in which there is strong sense of helplessness, misery, dystopic ideals and loss of morality and/or humanity. corporations control the lives of their workers and reside in microcosms dictated by the status quo"

"a sub genre of sci-fi usualy whith deep philosophical stments about the nature of freedom and reality. cyberpunk is usualy set in a de - humanised and futuristic society. the protagonist is usualy paranoid or suspicous about society , and usualy gets it right"

Linda06
November 8th, 2010, 05:42 AM
A couple definitions I've stolen from Urban Dictionary:

"a subgenre of sci-fi in which there is strong sense of helplessness, misery, dystopic ideals and loss of morality and/or humanity. corporations control the lives of their workers and reside in microcosms dictated by the status quo"

"a sub genre of sci-fi usualy whith deep philosophical stments about the nature of freedom and reality. cyberpunk is usualy set in a de - humanised and futuristic society. the protagonist is usualy paranoid or suspicous about society , and usualy gets it right"

Ah right, thanks for the clarification :D

SaberBlade
November 8th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Inception is currently rated the number 1 scifi movie by users on IMDB, so definitely starting with that one.

I'd also agree with Blade Runner (boring), 2001 A Space OdyZZZzzzzzy. I also want to say A Clockwork Orange. I've tried to watch this, but I give up almost immediately.

Replicator Todd
November 8th, 2010, 01:29 PM

May be also one of the most overrated films of all time.

Linda06
November 8th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I've never seen 2001 a space odyssey :o

Replicator Todd
November 8th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I've never seen 2001 a space odyssey :o

Neither have I...but plan to eventually.

AlbinoMonkeyC
November 8th, 2010, 07:17 PM
THE DARK KNIGHT(granted, I love it, but dang!!)
STAR WARS

Am I clear enough?

Ouroboros
November 8th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Avatar. I struggle to think of any other sci-fi movie more over hyped than that one. It was a bog standard Hollywood FX orgy with a tired and cliched plot and characters. The only reason it made as much money as it did is because right now the FX are so fancy compared to anything else out there.

Once the FX get dated to the eyes of future generations however, the movie will inevitably be exposed for what it is. All style and no substance.

PeteJ
November 9th, 2010, 05:30 AM
-Inception (most overrated film of all time from any genre)
-2001: A Space Odyssey
-Blade Runner
-The Dark Knight

Petra
November 9th, 2010, 06:39 AM
re: 300
re: Bladerunner
Well, cyberpunk isn't for everyone. :D I loved it, and I'm still into cyberpunk (sorta, not much new stuff on that sub-genre these days. The upcoming Deus Ex game, tho', looks quite promising)

I'm not into cyberpunk at all but I still love Bladerunner and think it's one of the best movie I've ever seen (of any genre). Just sayin' :D

I also want to say A Clockwork Orange. I've tried to watch this, but I give up almost immediately.

Not to start a debate or argument, I just want to say A Clockwork Orange is one of my all-time favourite movies. I understand though that it's not for everyone. :)

Inception is currently rated the number 1 scifi movie by users on IMDB, so definitely starting with that one.

-Inception (most overrated film of all time from any genre)

Now I have a question: is Inception seriously considered sci-fi? I LOVE this movie and IMO it deserves all the praise it gets, but I wouldn't call it science-fiction. Psychological thriller sounds more apt. :confused:

Wayston
November 9th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Now I have a question: is Inception seriously considered sci-fi? I LOVE this movie and IMO it deserves all the praise it gets, but I wouldn't call it science-fiction. Psychological thriller sounds more apt. :confused:

quite right, but the "science" behind it is "fiction" ;)... apart from that I can't see why anyone would ever consider it sci-fi, it's indeed more of a thriller as a main genre. In any case I also consider it an overrated film, although it is definately a good movie too.

AlbinoMonkeyC
November 9th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Avatar. I struggle to think of any other sci-fi movie more over hyped than that one. It was a bog standard Hollywood FX orgy with a tired and cliched plot and characters. The only reason it made as much money as it did is because right now the FX are so fancy compared to anything else out there.

Once the FX get dated to the eyes of future generations however, the movie will inevitably be exposed for what it is. All style and no substance.

Two words: STAR WARS!!!
Granted the costumes in the new trilogy are drool-worthy and I love Natalie Portman, but come ON!!

Missster.Freeman
November 9th, 2010, 05:07 PM
The Dark Knight - I was pretty much underwhelmed by the whole film.

Cold Fuzz
November 9th, 2010, 08:49 PM

This.

When the film ended, everyone else around me was going oogly boogly over how good the film was. :rolleyes: For me, the first thing that came to my mind was, "Yeah whatever."

SaberBlade
November 9th, 2010, 09:20 PM

I think Heath Ledger's death played a bit part in the hype and it's general acceptance. The same thing happened with Brandon Lee, but on a smaller scale over 15 years ago when he died during The Crow.

Missster.Freeman
November 10th, 2010, 05:10 PM
This.

When the film ended, everyone else around me was going oogly boogly over how good the film was. :rolleyes: For me, the first thing that came to my mind was, "Yeah whatever."Indeed, CF. That's almost what I said when the end credits started to roll.

I think Heath Ledger's death played a bit part in the hype and it's general acceptance. The same thing happened with Brandon Lee, but on a smaller scale over 15 years ago when he died during The Crow.My problem was that I believed the hype for The Dark Knight. The film simply could not live up to the expectations I had before watching it, and I thought that Batman Begins was always going to be tough to follow up anyway.

I remember the same thing happening with The Crow after my mates and I watched it. Very disappointing.

AlbinoMonkeyC
November 10th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I think Heath Ledger's death played a bit part in the hype and it's general acceptance. The same thing happened with Brandon Lee, but on a smaller scale over 15 years ago when he died during The Crow.

That IS the reason there was so much hype!! I don't care if it's another Batman movie, Heath Ledgers death is the reason why it got so much attention.

DigiFluid
November 10th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I was just going to let it slide, but since now so many people have spoken up on it.... In the politest tone possible, I have to vehemently disagree with several posts above. TDK was, IMO, one of the best films to come out in years and is deserving of all the praise it gets.

That is all, I won't press the issue further because I said at the outset that this would be a very subjective thread :D

Cold Fuzz
November 10th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Indeed, CF. That's almost what I said when the end credits started to roll.

My problem was that I believed the hype for The Dark Knight. The film simply could not live up to the expectations I had before watching it, and I thought that Batman Begins was always going to be tough to follow up anyway.

I remember the same thing happening with The Crow after my mates and I watched it. Very disappointing.

I watched Batman Begins without any expectations whatsoever and I was blown away by it. Maybe if there hadn't been such hype about Dark Knight, I might have thought differently about the film. But as it stands, I would gladly watch BB again. However, DK is one movie I'm not going to sit through a second time.

DigiFluid
November 10th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I saw TDK six times while it was still in theaters :D

jelgate
November 10th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I have never seen The Dark Knight but I can see how an actor's death can have an increase in profit. Wouldn't be the first time a tragic event increase sales

TBA
November 11th, 2010, 10:21 AM
TDK was amazing. Avatar, on the other hand, was pretty but utterly forgettable.

EvilSpaceAlien
November 11th, 2010, 11:39 PM
I'd say the Star Wars franchise. Sure, it may have mattered when it first aired, but now the movies are just enjoyable but utterly forgettable.

Wayston
November 12th, 2010, 03:36 AM
this thread could do with a poll option (to decidely and overwhelmingly show once and for all that 2001: a space odyssey is the most overrated film of all :))

Ouroboros
November 12th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Two words: STAR WARS!!!
Granted the costumes in the new trilogy are drool-worthy and I love Natalie Portman, but come ON!!

Any Star Wars you saw that had Natalie Portman in it wasn't real Star Wars.:mad:

Joking aside though, the original Star Wars movies are some that I'd actually cite as having special effects that really did stand the test of time well, especially when you consider the first one is over 30 years old.

Infinite-Possibilities
November 12th, 2010, 01:33 PM
The Transformers movie by Michael Bay are a weird example. They're much be-hated but still successfully enough that they must be popular in their own right.

I think if I liked them I see them as the movie that feels like everyone else hates but I love instead of the other way around.

I feel weird choosing them because they aren't critically rated that high. But I guess since they made so much money I can still chose them.

Transformers and Revenge of the Fallen were overrated... sort of.

But I think the most overrated one that comes to mind is Star Trek XI.

Replicator Todd
November 12th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Any Star Wars you saw that had Natalie Portman in it wasn't real Star Wars.:mad:

Indeed.

SaberBlade
November 12th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Well Natalie Portman wasn't in Clone Wars, and it's a film so does that mean it's a real Star Wars movie?

As for Transformers, it's not really overrated. It does earn a lot of money, but it's more because of the franchise than anything.

Infinite-Possibilities
November 12th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Well I don't know. I think a lot of people did like it for whatever reason. It's not like the original movie is a financial success, but it did become a cult classic among the fans.

Other than that, personally I've never got the love for Spider Man 2. I thought the first movie was mediocre and the second was exactly the same.

AlbinoMonkeyC
November 12th, 2010, 05:16 PM

Joking aside though, the original Star Wars movies are some that I'd actually cite as having special effects that really did stand the test of time well, especially when you consider the first one is over 30 years old.

*scarcasm* Forgive the ignorance of my generation. :jack_new15: :sam43: :mckay09: :weir40:

VampyreWraith
November 12th, 2010, 05:32 PM
The Twilight Saga - if only for the sheer amount of fangirls it has.

AlbinoMonkeyC
November 12th, 2010, 05:51 PM
The Twilight Saga - if only for the sheer amount of fangirls it has.

Is that even considered fantasy? I'm sorry, my hatred for the series has put it so far out of my mind that I don't think of it when I think of fantasy.

VampyreWraith
November 12th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Is that even considered fantasy? I'm sorry, my hatred for the series has put it so far out of my mind that I don't think of it when I think of fantasy.

I guess it can be considered fantasy; normally werevolves and vampires are more horror. But I'd probably die laughing if someone called the twlight saga horror. lol I'm not exactly a fan of the series either and didn't even think if it until I saw that the actors who play Edward and Jacob were nominated for a people's choice award; and it just reminded me of this thread.

Cold Fuzz
November 12th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I guess it can be considered fantasy; normally werevolves and vampires are more horror. But I'd probably die laughing if someone called the twlight saga horror. lol I'm not exactly a fan of the series either and didn't even think if it until I saw that the actors who play Edward and Jacob were nominated for a people's choice award; and it just reminded me of this thread.

Twilight is my favorite time of day. Merely mentioning the word in regular conversation brings up the books and movies. It makes me cringe every single time. :S

xxxevilgrinxxx
November 13th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Twilight is my favorite time of day. Merely mentioning the word in regular conversation brings up the books and movies. It makes me cringe every single time. :S

you're not alone there
I have a tattoo on the side of my neck that means 'morning twilight' and I hate when some people ask me what it means because the minute you say 'twilight' they get that gleam in their eyes and you know what's coming. Makes me cringe too

Infinite-Possibilities
November 13th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I thought Twilight was pretty cool. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmTg7ROPssc)

What? Were you guys talking about something else or something?

SaberBlade
November 13th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I thought Twilight was pretty cool. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmTg7ROPssc)

What? Were you guys talking about something else or something?

Now that's a Twilight I'd pay to watch in cinema.

AlbinoMonkeyC
November 13th, 2010, 06:29 PM

I'd consider it horror, as it is a horror to the genre it's supposed to be.

Twilight is also my least favorite episode of NCIS. Kate dies. :danielanime08::hammond08::sheppardanime32:

you're not alone there
I have a tattoo on the side of my neck that means 'morning twilight' and I hate when some people ask me what it means because the minute you say 'twilight' they get that gleam in their eyes and you know what's coming. Makes me cringe too

*valley-girl voice* OH MY GAWSH!! YOU LOVE TWILIGHT AS MUCH AS I DO?!!?!?!? ISN'T EDWARD JUST THE HOTTEST, MOST SEXIEST, MOST SWEETEST VAMPIRE EV-ER!?!??! *end valley-girl voice* I cringed while writing that.

*huggles* Those are very pretty words and I'm sorry that you have to go through that.

xxxevilgrinxxx
November 14th, 2010, 11:05 AM
... I cringed while writing that.
I cringed while reading, so we're good :)

Purgatory
November 14th, 2010, 11:26 AM
The whole X-Men trilogy plus every Harry Potter film since Chamber of Secrets (they really made a mess of Harry Potter, great books, terrible films). Whilst I'm here, I think Pitch Black is a very underrated sci-fi film, really enjoyed it.

Cold Fuzz
November 14th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I cringed while reading, so we're good :)

I think when it comes to Twilight, we're all collectively cringing. ;)

The whole X-Men trilogy plus every Harry Potter film since Chamber of Secrets (they really made a mess of Harry Potter, great books, terrible films). Whilst I'm here, I think Pitch Black is a very underrated sci-fi film, really enjoyed it.

Prisoner of Azkaban was an interesting movie to me because David Thewlis actually got decent screen time. I thought he was a very good choice for Lupin. But I agree with you about everything after that. Having read and liked all the books, each movie that's aired after Azkaban has done nothing but absolutely disappoint me. I forced myself to watch Half-Blood Prince only recently...and it was nigh-unwatchable for me. I'm not having any expectations for Deathly Hallows, Part 1.

DigiFluid
November 14th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I despise both Harry Potter and Twilight, so needless to say I think the hype about the movies is ridiculous :D

Cold Fuzz
November 14th, 2010, 10:20 PM
I'm actually holding out hope that the final movies won't be like the ones before.

VampyreWraith
November 14th, 2010, 10:53 PM
I kinda prefer the HP movies to the books. I think the books are pretty Ok I guess(I've read them all) but I really don't see what the big deal is. I preferred the first 2 Harry Potter movies to the others. The third and fourth movies left too many things out that I thought were important and felt rushed. The 5th one was better, almost as good as the first 2 imo; but I really didn't like the 6th one, it felt too rushed and all over the place to me. I'm hoping the final movies will be better, especially since they are splitting the last book into 2 parts so they'll have more time to tell the story.

Thunderstorm
November 15th, 2010, 02:17 AM
As i just wasted 2 1/2 hrs finally seeing Avatar - that's at the top of my list now.

Avatar- It was very pretty to look at and the actors were good but he characters and the story were pretty boring(despite what seemed like a 1/2hr battle in the forest) and horribly cliche imo.

Horribly, horribly cliched. Everytime I thought it couldn't get more cliched it did.

I can't believe that was the storyline. Let's take some American Indians, or aborginals etc set it on another planet (because that will automatically make it cool), paint them blue because then you'd never think they are Indians. Then do the standard we are best we want your land who cares if you were there 1st lets kill them all storyline. But hey - it's on another planet with cool special effects and blue people so it has to be good.

Exactly. It wasn't a bad movie, didn't make me pissed off like Avatar. But I have absolutely no desire to watch it again. It was a generic storyline and got stupid at the end. I thought Batman Begins was better. When it was over and I was thinking back on it trying to see if there was anything I missed, it occured to me that it probably would be a good movie to someone who's never seen a crime drama or action picture. Otherwise it was a been there, seen that, your boring me kid.

I'd add me too's to 300, 2001, Blade Runner (I keep trying to like it because of a young Harrison Ford but haven't made it far before I'm so bored I have to change channels).

As for Star Wars, you really need to separate it into 2 parts - the original wonderful 3 (episodes 4-6) and the other junk. :p Love the originals. The last 3 that were made you can put in any overrated, pile of junk category and I'll join you shoving them in a hole never to be seen again.

xxxevilgrinxxx
November 15th, 2010, 11:15 AM

I've never been able to get into Harry Potter so for me, yeah, definitely overrated.

Completely agree on Pitch Black - definitely underrated. One of my top faves as far as movies and characters go

Jper
November 15th, 2010, 11:56 AM
The Harry Potter books are excellent books IMHO. :) The films however are mostly pleasant to watch, but certainly don't live up to the books. I really disliked the fifth movie. Also, IMHO of course.

g.o.d
November 15th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Avatar, because it was simply bad, really bad. It was like watching pocahontas in space but badly written

P-90_177
November 15th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Top of my list is Avatar. Like many others I just found it cliche.

Then there's the Matrix Movies.........way, way, way over rated in my opinion.

The same with Star Wars. Admitedly they are good movies (all six in their own seperate ways) and I really enjoy them, but the whole thing has got out of hand. I just don't find it the kind of universe that lends itself to an extended franchise in my mind.

The other one I find over rated is the first Terminator film. I like the other 3 but I just can't get into the first.

AlbinoMonkeyC
November 15th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I think when it comes to Twilight, we're all collectively cringing. ;)

:indeed:

Prisoner of Azkaban was an interesting movie to me because David Thewlis actually got decent screen time. I thought he was a very good choice for Lupin. But I agree with you about everything after that. Having read and liked all the books, each movie that's aired after Azkaban has done nothing but absolutely disappoint me. I forced myself to watch Half-Blood Prince only recently...and it was nigh-unwatchable for me. I'm not having any expectations for Deathly Hallows, Part 1.

After my re-discovery of HP (about a year ago), I feel in love with Remus Lupin /David Thewlis. Only thing is, I now can't watch The Boy In The Striped Pajamas w/o making Harry Potter jokes. *cringe in disgust* I have not seen Half Blood Prince and have no plans to see Deathly Hollows, Part 1. How bad was Half-Blood Prince, should I go out and buy this movie?

I despise both Harry Potter and Twilight, so needless to say I think the hype about the movies is ridiculous :D

I don't understand the Twilight hype SM can't write, terrible characters, more haters than lovers, limited fan base, few tolerant fans (meaning those fans who don't hate the haters) I understand the HP hype more readers, JK Rowling can write, more tolerant fans, well-developed characters, only flaw is that EVERYBODY got killed, hence why I've disowned the last book

The Harry Potter books are excellent books IMHO. :) The films however are mostly pleasant to watch, but certainly don't live up to the books. I really disliked the fifth movie. Also, IMHO of course.

:indeed: I like 5 though. It was nice sitting in that theater away from my brother and dad with an unoccupied seat on each side in a supposedly crowded theater. I don't look for accuracy with movies based on books, I look at entertainment value (minus Ella Enchanted and Eragon, which were cringe-worthy).

Avatar, because it was simply bad, really bad. It was like watching pocahontas in space but badly written

It was Pocahontas in space, not "like" Pocahontas in space. More of a chick-flick plot wise than an action movie (cough Titanic!! cough). The only reason why guys (or girls like moi) went to see it is b/c of the action. Granted I'ma sucker for a good chick-flick and *really* want to see Tangled, but that's off topic.

The Dude of Lebowski
November 15th, 2010, 06:23 PM
plain and simple....Avatar, the most boring and over rated movie ever, let alone sci fi movie. i cant stand that it was given so much hype then all those award nominations.

Replicator Todd
November 15th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Then there's the Matrix Movies.........way, way, way over rated in my opinion.

Well I think Reloaded and Revolutions are quite underrated.

Cold Fuzz
November 15th, 2010, 07:09 PM
After my re-discovery of HP (about a year ago), I feel in love with Remus Lupin /David Thewlis. Only thing is, I now can't watch The Boy In The Striped Pajamas w/o making Harry Potter jokes. *cringe in disgust* I have not seen Half Blood Prince and have no plans to see Deathly Hollows, Part 1. How bad was Half-Blood Prince, should I go out and buy this movie?

Since you've read the books, much of Half-Blood Prince (the movie) felt like a romantic comedy to me if you can believe that. I'm sorry but considering the content of the book, especially the multitudes of crises in the Ministry and the really dark background on Tom Riddle, a romantic comedy was absolutely the wrong approach for the movie. HBP the movie seemed slow and even uninteresting to me much of the time.

Jper
November 16th, 2010, 12:33 AM
:indeed: I like 5 though. It was nice sitting in that theater away from my brother and dad with an unoccupied seat on each side in a supposedly crowded theater. I don't look for accuracy with movies based on books, I look at entertainment value (minus Ella Enchanted and Eragon, which were cringe-worthy).

I seriously cringed while watching HP: OotP (5) when Dolores Umbridge just uses her wand to blast a hole in the wall and gain access to the room of requirement. I gave up on the movie while watching it, right then. It was terrible. Surely you don't have to get everything right/accurate/faithful, but the basic facts need to be right at least.

Since you've read the books, much of Half-Blood Prince (the movie) felt like a romantic comedy to me if you can believe that. I'm sorry but considering the content of the book, especially the multitudes of crises in the Ministry and the really dark background on Tom Riddle, a romantic comedy was absolutely the wrong approach for the movie. HBP the movie seemed slow and even uninteresting to me much of the time.

While there was a romantic aspect, I didn't see the overly "comedy" part. Not less or more than any other HP movie where humor/comedy has always been a part of the movies.

AlbinoMonkeyC
November 16th, 2010, 07:29 PM

I am both disturbed and amazed at the same time.

I seriously cringed while watching HP: OotP (5) when Dolores Umbridge just uses her wand to blast a hole in the wall and gain access to the room of requirement. I gave up on the movie while watching it, right then. It was terrible. Surely you don't have to get everything right/accurate/faithful, but the basic facts need to be right at least.

I'm still going to enjoy it. Unlike a few other movies.

While there was a romantic aspect, I didn't see the overly "comedy" part. Not less or more than any other HP movie where humor/comedy has always been a part of the movies.

I found PoA funny, then again, I'm also cracking jokes and making strange comments while watching.

Cold Fuzz
November 16th, 2010, 08:32 PM

Umbridge getting to the Room of Requirement by blasting a hole in the wall was one of numerous things about Order of the Phoenix that just made be lose almost all interest in seeing the film again.

The "humor" I saw in movies 4-6 are another part of the reason I didn't like the movies at all. The books pulled off humor in a way that worked for me. The movies seemed contrived and in a few cases, didn't come off as funny to me at all...more annoying than anything else.

Jper
November 17th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Umbridge getting to the Room of Requirement by blasting a hole in the wall was one of numerous things about Order of the Phoenix that just made be lose almost all interest in seeing the film again.

The "humor" I saw in movies 4-6 are another part of the reason I didn't like the movies at all. The books pulled off humor in a way that worked for me. The movies seemed contrived and in a few cases, didn't come off as funny to me at all...more annoying than anything else.

So it's not necessarily the humor that is present, but rather the sort of humor. Well you do have a point there, the movies (again) fail to convey (the humor present in) the books. :) :) Still I'd argue that that doesn't make the movies "comedies".

Sealurk
November 17th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Avatar, definitely. Jim Cameron is just too obsessed with CGI these days, spent far too little time on the story.

I know I run the risk of being chased by a mob with torches and pitchforks for this, but...Blade Runner. Sorry, thought it was intensely dull, slow, often inaudible and every time I've tried to watch it I fall asleep or get bored. I know it's almost a sacred film to many, but I'll pass.

Wayston
November 17th, 2010, 03:34 AM
Avatar, definitely. Jim Cameron is just too obsessed with CGI these days, spent far too little time on the story.

I know I run the risk of being chased by a mob with torches and pitchforks for this, but...Blade Runner. Sorry, thought it was intensely dull, slow, often inaudible and every time I've tried to watch it I fall asleep or get bored. I know it's almost a sacred film to many, but I'll pass.

I don't entirely disagree, but it's still nowhere near as boring and pretentious as 2001: a space odyssey :mad:

Sealurk
November 17th, 2010, 03:44 AM
I don't entirely disagree, but it's still nowhere near as boring and pretentious as 2001: a space odyssey :mad:

I sort of like 2001, but I agree entirely with what you're saying - the fact that the intro is three quarters of an hour long (if memory serves) is ridiculous!

Huaracocha
November 17th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Avatar definitely over-hyped and a bit meh.
Star Wars prequels. I know these are widely hated but the fact Lucas hasn't been arrested suggests they are still wildly over-rated.
Matrix - awesome, Matrix 2 - meh, Matrix 3 - dung (2 & 3 really was only material for one film).
X-men films are a travesty of the comic book but I don't know if they're well rated or not.

I actually really like 2001. Once you get past the 7.5 hour spaceship launch / stewardess scene I think it's fine.

As for most under-rated, I'd like to throw Dark Star in there as a contender.

LoneStar1836
November 18th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I actually really like 2001. Once you get past the 7.5 hour spaceship launch / stewardess scene I think it's fine.
lol! I have never been able to. I tried to make myself watch this one time and just couldn't. You'd think I could to get to the Hal and Dave stuff, but I've only watched bits and pieces of that as well. I've never made it through Blade Runner in one sitting either. Before I die, maybe I'll eventually watch these. Or see enough bits and pieces here and there to piece together an entire movie. :D

Storywise Avatar is way overrated, but I did enjoy the visuals...and that was watching it on a regular 27in tv.

Jago
November 18th, 2010, 05:31 PM
My pick would have to be AVATAR -- I personally thought that there was an incredible amount of hype built for the film, but the majority of people I knew were let down by it. But I will say.. The visuals were very solid.

Thunderstorm
November 18th, 2010, 05:57 PM

Blade Runner has been mentioned several times already so you're not alone.

Now for probably being alone - I'll add

Matrix (never bothered watching the sequels). Once they did the 2nd slo-mo scene that was 1 too many. I think I have watched most of it by now in bits and pieces. And it was a ripoff of Dark City to which gets me more pissed at it.

And now to have people faint ;)

Lord of the Rings - it seems nicely filmed and really don't have a problem with the acting I saw but the storyline :eek:

I haven't read the books but I'd heard it was a lushly filmed fantasy story so when it came on cable I sat down in front of the tv prepared to be wowed and the voiceover starts at the beginning of the movie - I think my jaw might have hit the floor. When that part was over, I went - oh brother, this is what this is about, you've got to be kidding me. Tried to give it a try anyway but lasted about 20 min before I decided it was a waste of my time (and suspension of disbelief). I watched some more of one of the movies some time later - some scene going up/down a long set of stairs but only lasted 10 min.

AlbinoMonkeyC
November 18th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Blade Runner has been mentioned several times already so you're not alone.

Now for probably being alone - I'll add

Matrix (never bothered watching the sequels). Once they did the 2nd slo-mo scene that was 1 too many. I think I have watched most of it by now in bits and pieces. And it was a ripoff of Dark City to which gets me more pissed at it.

And now to have people faint ;)

Lord of the Rings - it seems nicely filmed and really don't have a problem with the acting I saw but the storyline :eek:

I haven't read the books but I'd heard it was a lushly filmed fantasy story so when it came on cable I sat down in front of the tv prepared to be wowed and the voiceover starts at the beginning of the movie - I think my jaw might have hit the floor. When that part was over, I went - oh brother, this is what this is about, you've got to be kidding me. Tried to give it a try anyway but lasted about 20 min before I decided it was a waste of my time (and suspension of disbelief). I watched some more of one of the movies some time later - some scene going up/down a long set of stairs but only lasted 10 min.

Yeah, that's the problem right there.

Thunderstorm
November 18th, 2010, 06:52 PM

So then the books have an entirely different plotline and leave out the One Ring stuff? I thought that was the basis of the story and that's my biggest problem.

If the movies aren't any good without the books then they should say so upfront.

I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books, but the 1st and 3rd movies were ok.

Cold Fuzz
November 18th, 2010, 07:13 PM
So then the books have an entirely different plotline and leave out the One Ring stuff? I thought that was the basis of the story and that's my biggest problem.

If the movies aren't any good without the books then they should say so upfront.

I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books, but the 1st and 3rd movies were ok.

Tolkien-style fantasy isn't everybody's cup of tea. Some people react to it in a manner similar to the way a lot of people on this thread were turned off by 2001. I certainly didn't care for 2001 very much.

I actually watched Fellowship of the Ring before I read any of Tolkien's works (including the Silmarillion). The movies stood just fine on their own to me.

SaberBlade
November 19th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I actually watched Fellowship of the Ring before I read any of Tolkien's works (including the Silmarillion). The movies stood just fine on their own to me.

Same here. I hadn't, and still have not, read the LotR/Hobbit/Simarillion books, and the LotR trilogy was great to me. I can understand how people who have read the books may not like them, but I think they should stand on their feet to anyone who just wants a good movie and has not read the books.

AlbinoMonkeyC
November 19th, 2010, 04:54 PM

no comment.

jmoz
November 19th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I've read the Hobbit, that was excellent. Then I started the trilogy, and was quickly turned off by the excessive descriptions, he seems to describe almost every blade of grass. It got too dense for me with the descriptive detailing. I stopped in the middle of the second one.

I've tried Simarillion but that's also too dense for me. As dense as Hyperion was with his obsession with Keats. I'm just not cut out for appreciation of his work I guess, don't have that strong of a literary background or understanding for it.

I'm looking forward to the Hobbit though. Dwarves are great. Even if they are silly.

AlbinoMonkeyC
November 19th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I've read the Hobbit, that was excellent. Then I started the trilogy, and was quickly turned off by the excessive descriptions, he seems to describe almost every blade of grass. It got too dense for me with the descriptive detailing. I stopped in the middle of the second one.

I've tried Simarillion but that's also too dense for me. As dense as Hyperion was with his obsession with Keats. I'm just not cut out for appreciation of his work I guess, don't have that strong of a literary background or understanding for it.

I'm looking forward to the Hobbit though. Dwarves are great. Even if they are silly.

Dwarves are fun!! :D :D

Cold Fuzz
November 19th, 2010, 05:57 PM

Tolkien's syntax in the Silmarillion is pretty extreme but it does soften up as you progress through the book and you get used to it. The first introductory chapters of Fellowship of the Ring were almost unreadable for me, actually.

Now that poem Hyperion is some dense stuff by Keats. That kind of literature I just can't get into. My English Lit. professor from 14 years ago would be so sad to hear me say that. :P

Thunderstorm
November 19th, 2010, 07:28 PM
no comment.

Hey everyone has their likes and dislikes, yours is Star Wars - mine is LOTR

AlbinoMonkeyC
November 19th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Hey everyone has their likes and dislikes, yours is Star Wars - mine is LOTR

I don't dislike Star Wars, I just can't stand it when people hate on the newer trilogy. Or say it's the best thing since sliced bread, as that title belongs to Stargate. :D :D

Sp!der
November 21st, 2010, 08:52 AM
It is still Avatar... and it ever will be.

Purgatory
November 21st, 2010, 01:46 PM
I think LotR is a work of art and is pretty basic, at least as far as epic descriptive fantasy fiction goes. You have to realise that Tolkien was trying to make up for a perceived lack of genuine mythology within the English-speaking world. He seems to have been trying to replicate the Norse kind of fantastical mythology. I guess his wider achievement was in creating a whole genre of fiction that many try to plagiarise today for their own posterity. Not that I dislike fantasy as a genre, nor do I refuse to . . . dabble in it myself, I just think that Tolkien's achievements were exceptional whether you like them, dislike them, whether you admire or are annoyed by his style. I'm a massive fan of Lord of the Rings, it's a bit weird and gay (not in a gay way), but has stood the test of time in that it's still very readable today and seems modern enough to me that it might have been written yesterday. The Silmarillion on the other hand is utter bile, reams of names and places and back-story that go nowhere for a long time.

j_talyn
November 21st, 2010, 02:16 PM
Avatar = Incredibly Over-rated, as are all James Cameron movies. He's just not into solid writing, more style than substance.

Matrix Reload and Revolutions = Really????

2001 = Boring!

Star Trek IV... like really? no offense.... but its the one even numbered Trek that is the weakest.....

xxxevilgrinxxx
November 22nd, 2010, 04:33 PM
When I first heard that LOTR was going to be made into a movie, I kind of cringed. LOTR was the first book I ever bought with my own money and gets re-read on a fairly regular basis. It's near and dear and I feared a hatchet job. While the movies are in no way like the books, the feel of it was there. I don't think they were overrated at all and on top of that, a whole lot of people ended up reading the books into the bargain.

MIZA
November 23rd, 2010, 02:31 AM
Mine is batman and spiderman , there are my two favorites but I feel they have been ruined

The Flyattractor
November 24th, 2010, 10:17 AM

Total agreement. The Hobbit is the best book of the 4. The 2nd book of the Tril is the best of the 3. The 3rd is the worst. It is slow and the way it all seems to be told as if someone is second hand telling someone else about what all went on just really makes it drrrraaagggg. Skip the books. Watch the movies.

And for my "Most Overrated" boils down to the Spider-man and X-Men movies.
I have nearly gotten into physical fights with obsessive jerk fan-boys of both series that seem to think God Himself descened to write these POS films. Well POS at least with the sequels of both. Actually liked the first movies but the others are overtated crap.

shipper hannah
November 26th, 2010, 10:01 AM

To be fair, you shouldn't have to read the books to appreciate the film. Your liking/disliking of the film should not depend on you having read the books. If it does then it's a badly made film.

That's the problem I had with Order of the Phoenix - parts of it weren't even explained and when I ask "what the hell was all that about at the end?" people say "you need to read the books". Grrr.

DigiFluid
November 26th, 2010, 10:09 AM
I'm getting the feeling that I shouldn't have started this thread, all the Tolkien non-appreciation going on in here makes me :eek:

shipper hannah
November 26th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Twilight
HP Order of the Phoenix
X-Men

AlbinoMonkeyC
November 26th, 2010, 08:27 PM
To be fair, you shouldn't have to read the books to appreciate the film. Your liking/disliking of the film should not depend on you having read the books. If it does then it's a badly made film.

That's the problem I had with Order of the Phoenix - parts of it weren't even explained and when I ask "what the hell was all that about at the end?" people say "you need to read the books". Grrr.

Frankly, if you're going to see a movie based on a book, you should read the book or at least a synopsis before or after you see it. Come on, this is Hollywood, details are minuscule things that get in the way of making big money. The only accurate, true-to-the-book movie I've seen them make is Holes.

Sorry, I'm kind of pissy right now, mainly because the computer is being SLOW and won't load Destination Truth on hulu. :mckayanime07::mckayanime07: I NEED MY JOSH GATES FIX!!!!!!!

Giantevilhead
November 28th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Terminator 2 - a lot of people like it more than the first one but it's really dumbed down compared to the first. They basically tell you everything instead of letting you figure things out for yourself. It's not like the first film where they have all these subtle clues for the predestination paradox. With James Cameron's films, the quality of the writing seems to be inversely proportional to the size of the budget.

Sealurk
November 28th, 2010, 03:36 AM
Terminator 2 - a lot of people like it more than the first one but it's really dumbed down compared to the first. They basically tell you everything instead of letting you figure things out for yourself. It's not like the first film where they have all these subtle clues for the predestination paradox. With James Cameron's films, the quality of the writing seems to be inversely proportional to the size of the budget.

Despite being a fan of Terminator 2, I couldn't agree more. Let's hope he his budget to make the next two Avatar films is less than the budget for the first alone, we might get something that isn't just a "wow look at the pretty effects" movie.

Giantevilhead
November 28th, 2010, 04:06 AM
Despite being a fan of Terminator 2, I couldn't agree more. Let's hope he his budget to make the next two Avatar films is less than the budget for the first alone, we might get something that isn't just a "wow look at the pretty effects" movie.

I liked T2. Despite being more kid friendly than T1, it was still a good movie. The action is great. The special effects still hold up. Linda Hamilton and Ed Furlong are great. The T-1000 is a great villain. Arnold is great and has some really good lines. He's still bad ass despite being made more kid friendly. The story isn't as great as the first movie but it's still pretty good. The characters are interesting and well written. I like how some of the characters defy your expectations. For example, Miles Dyson is actually a really interesting and heroic character who's willing to throw away everything he has worked for and risk his life to help the Connors. You just don't expect the person who's going to make a super computer that kills 3 billion people to be a decent guy. The ending is also great and pretty bold. There aren't many films where the main character commits suicide after beating the bad guys when they could be living happily ever after.

The main problem is that they spell everything out for you. For example, they already made it pretty obvious that Sarah was going after Dyson but then they still had to go on and say, "hey, Sarah's going after Dyson to stop Skynet being made and prevent Judgment Day." The audience isn't that dumb. Sarah left with a bunch of guns after asking about Dyson and she carved "no fate" on the table, it's not that hard to figure out what she had planned.

Replicator Todd
December 1st, 2010, 07:38 PM
I'm getting the feeling that I shouldn't have started this thread, all the Tolkien non-appreciation going on in here makes me :eek:

Yeah well, deal with it! :p All the Harry Potter non-appreciation is hurting me....;)

I love LOTR though.

AlbinoMonkeyC
December 3rd, 2010, 04:26 PM
Yeah well, deal with it! :p All the Harry Potter non-appreciation is hurting me....;)

I love LOTR though.

*huggles*

Ukko
December 4th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Dune. Boring.