Calendar reckoning and the Expanded Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calendar reckoning and the Expanded Universe

If you could establish a new means of reckoning years in the SW EU, how would you go about it?

For a very long time, we've been adhering to the BBY/ABY standard--Before the Battle of Yavin and After the Battle of Yavin. A somewhat arbitrary selection IMO, but it's been the standard for so long that we're all used to it.

But increasingly in recent years there's been new calendars introduced in the SW universe. With the "thousand years of peace" goof in Episode II, EU writers were forced to write in the Ruusan Reformation and its own peculiar calendar a beginning a thousand years before the more accepted BBY system

Increasingly as the Clone Wars multimedia project goes on, Wookieepedia in particular has been embracing the so-called "ABG" calendar; After the Battle of Geonosis. This of course puts a lot of emphasis on the outbreak of the Clone Wars, and perhaps rightly so as their conclusion meant the end of the Republic.

And then there's the Great ReSynchronization calendar which has only appeared in a couple of places.

So I put it out there to you guys and gals, what do you think? Would you go with one of the existing calendars as the be-all-end-all of SW EU calendars? Would you be interested in seeing a dating calendar beginning with the foundation of the Republic c. 25,000 years ago? Or perhaps one pertaining to the first Jedi/Sith schism?

My inclination is actually to take a tack similar to the real-world BC/AD calendar, but to have Anakin Skywalker as the central figure. He's just such a key and important figure in the 'modern' context of the galactic struggle between Jedi and Sith, Republic and Empire.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I'd just stick with ABY/BBY.

The main reason would be it's common acceptance. If it's not broken then don't fix it. Also, I think that Episode IV being the first movie developed, it should be the movie used as the basis of the timeline more than any other single event.

The biggest problem with any Star Wars timeline is you can't really pick a single moment to start a calendar. The destruction of the Sith has happened a few times, as has the Jedi being nearly wiped out. Wow, another Galactic war. The problem with Star Wars is there isn't any originality left. Formation of the Republic has happened a few times too, I think it went through two or three different names in the EU set after VI before another war and eventually another purge of the Jedi. So from a fan point of view, it would be easier for us to just say something happened so many years before IV.

If a calendar within the Star War universe was needed, I'd just use the foundation of the Republic. It was founded on 25,053 BBY, so I'd switch it. Foundation of the Republic becomes year 0, and Episode IV takes place on 25,053, V is 053, VI is 054.

KOTOR would be 21,102, KOTOR1 would be 20,097.

sigpic

Comment

Personally I'd stick with the Before Battle of Yarvin, After Battle of Yarvin set up.

If it's not broken, why fix it?
      I'm sure that someone, somewhere will come up with a timeline that would sit well with fans.

ttyl
      Starfist
      "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
      Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
      Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
      Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
      I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
      To thy own self... Be true
      May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Working...
      X