Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do they call Henry as Hank sometimes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do they call Henry as Hank sometimes?

In yesterday's episode it happen again, Kate refers to Henry as Hank and it happend in the Bank Job too.
    Why is that?
    Is it a mistake or is a reference to something else?
    "Do you know what's the Chain of Command?? It's the chain i'm gonna beat you
    with until you realize who's in rotten command here." - Jayne Cobb

Isnt Hank a normal nickname for Henry?

Comment

I'm not sure if Hank is a nickname for Henry but I might have a theory for that
      You all know how much Henry loves comic books and there are these comics with Hulk which might explain why Henry is called Hank. For those of you who don't know Hulk is a big green beast. A scientist named Hank injected himself with some kind of serum and since then, when he gets angry or excited (basically when is pulse is raising) he changes into Hulk. (thing that kinda happened to Henry too even if he now controls his transformation). But even if Hank changes, Hulk is not entirely a beast and still has parts of Hank's peronality, memories, feelings.
      So I'm thinking that perhaps it's an analogy between Hank and Henry and his transformation

Comment

could be that analogy. But also, Hank is the common shortening for Henry
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          could be that analogy. But also, Hank is the common shortening for Henry
          you humans confuse me when it comes to shortening, since Hank is one letter shorter than Henry

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
            you humans confuse me when it comes to shortening, since Hank is one letter shorter than Henry
            Lol was thinking the same thing its like Pete for Peter, just "lazy talk"

But Hank its nothing to do with Henry their are like 2 differente names, IMO.

And speaking of the Hulk wasnt he's "human" name Bruce Banner?? Where does Hank come in?

Unless they call the werewolf side of Henry, Hank. But since Henry doesnt like turning it would almost feel like an insult. I dont get it.

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
              I was wondering about the Bruce Banner thing too. Unless there is another Hulk? Was there a name change at some point?

Back in the day in England the same names were used, reused and used again. CAn you imagine several Henrys? So Henry/Hank. Margaret/Peggy/Peg/Maggie; Mary/Molly. That's part of the reason there are so many derivatives - some of which don't even make sense.
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.
              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan Reynolds View Post
                In yesterday's episode it happen again, Kate refers to Henry as Hank and it happend in the Bank Job too.
                Why is that?
                Is it a mistake or is a reference to something else?
                For the same reason people call somebody named James "Jim", or give anybody a nickname or something different than their formal real name.

Henry becomes Hank
                John or Jonathan becomes Jack
                James becomes Jim
                Margaret become Maggie or Meg or Peggy
                Elizabeth becomes Beth or Betty or Lizzie

and so on and so on ...

Comment

Actually I thought Henry becomes Harry. Since that is what they Call Prince Henry (aka Prince Harry).
                  MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
                  MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
                  POLARIS TORONTO 2007
                  CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
                  GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
                  VCON VANCOUVER 2010
                  FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

richard can be rick or rich or dick (dick van dyke show)
                    elizabeth can be liz or lizzy or beth
                    james can be jim, jack

there are a lot of cultural things to the shortening of names

as to bruce banner and hank/henry mccoy.....well, we had special agent bruce TANNER last week. Kate calls henry hank but everyone else calls him henry. she also called will 'william' last week.

i think kate has fun with names.

you might also say that henry/harry vs henry/hank is an upperclass/lower class thing

sigpic

Comment

I think you are all over analyzing this. The character of Kate probably thinks the name Henry is wimpy and chooses to be different by calling him Hank (which is a shortening of the name Henry in the US).
                      sigpic

Comment

i never questioned it.

remember the show Emergency? the captain was Capt Henry Stanley - went by Hank.

in later seasons when the station adopted a dog, they called it Henry and capt stanley said 'no one better EVER call him hank'

sigpic

Comment

Shortening Henry to Hank, although it only has 1 letter difference, it shortens from 2 syllables to 1.
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                            Shortening Henry to Hank, although it only has 1 letter difference, it shortens from 2 syllables to 1.
                            Never realized that, but that makes a little more sense

Comment

The only nickname I like is "Bubba".

Comment

Working...
                              X