So won't the ship try to....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So won't the ship try to....

So won't the ship try to get rid of of Young another way?
    67 point(s) total!!!!

Never know when an airlock might malfunction
    67 point(s) total!!!!

Comment

The ship was never trying to get rid of Young. If anything it was trying to help
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

I dont think the ship was trying to get rid of Young. Given that it was running a battle simulation, since the ship can probe everyone on the ship, Young was the prime candidate to bounce the program off of because he was the one on the ship with the most strategic and combat experience.

Had Telford been on the ship still, who knows. it could have been him who would be the guinea pig for battle sim'ing off of.

to me, anyway...

Comment

from what Rush was saying at the end, it seems like Destiny was evaluating Young to determine his ability to deal with the threats that Destiny knows is coming and he failed...the only reason the ship started flying again is because Rush overrode the simulation...

Comment

Originally posted by eliteaceman View Post
            So won't the ship try to get rid of of Young another way?
            it's not lady like
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by tinerin View Post
              from what Rush was saying at the end, it seems like Destiny was evaluating Young to determine his ability to deal with the threats that Destiny knows is coming and he failed...the only reason the ship started flying again is because Rush overrode the simulation...
              So that doesn't really say Young failed just that Rush interrupted it.
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Well, first off, the ship wasn't trying to get rid of Young. Secondly, and this is slightly off topic, I'm not sure if I like the Destiny turning into another Andromeda.

We already know the ship's tech is analogue (requiring physical connection, the chair) so this whole idea of the ship suddenly communicating "telepathically" just seems to...convenient.
                sigpic
                ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Well if you take what rush said to be fact, the ship doesn't have wants or desires.

Although the idea that the ship is sentient is interesting I don't take that away from this episode. More like the ship is programmed for its primary mission to always be the main focus. The AI saw an unstable commander as a danger to itself and thus the mission and went about trying to test and fix the situation (Young was tested with a no win situation.)

I don't think the point of the test was for Young to find a solution. If it truly was a no win scenario the point was to test young character or his ability to be able to make the hard decisions (as in, you can't win but whats important is you keep fighting and don't give up.)

Comment

I guess the ship knows that it relies on the crew just as much as the crew relies on it for survival... and the time came where it had to test the crews leader... Even thought it might not have wants or desires... It has an instinct to survive and make it to its mission end

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32
                      We already know the ship's tech is analogue (requiring physical connection, the chair) so this whole idea of the ship suddenly communicating "telepathically" just seems to...convenient.
                      I'm not following what analog or continuous signals (as opposed to digital or discrete signals) has to do with physical connection to the chair.

I guess the ships ability to communicate and interact with a person wirelessly must be quite limited and pale in comparison to a direct physical connection.

Comment

Don't anthropomorphize objects; they hate when you do that.

Destiny isn't sentient, at least at the level we are. It's a computer, with a lot of If/Then statements, and right now it's running through a list of them with regards to the crew. The ancients didn't design anything else with an AI, including Atlantis, so logic would suggest they didn't here, either.

If anything, I'd say the Faith aliens (or ascended ancients) are around, and playing around with the crew. If so, it's a rather douchy thing for them to do.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          So that doesn't really say Young failed just that Rush interrupted it.
                          This.

Comment

For all we know, Destiny has a living conciousness as its central AI core, programmed to be devoid of any emotion.

Also, bear mind Young DID sit in the chair, in "Sabotage," he kind of perched on the edge but did make physical contact, if that small amount of contact is whats needed for the telepathic link, then it also explains why it let Young sink so far and couldnt present him with the scenario's when "sack up" would have been enough, because it needed time to analyse the data from such a short scan, not having a neural imprint as the neural interface nodes never connected to Young

Hell, fully concious manifestations could only happen on the bridge, or engineering to aid and assist the crew, that explains Rush as he's always on the bridge. It might also be that the dream Rush had about Telford and the LA was shown to him by Destiny, the full bodied manifestations only happened on the bridge.

Besides, i dont think Young failed, he listened to Scott (who has risen above pretty boy this ep) who was talking pure sense, Young realised this and took the first step without anyone holding his hand, admittedly it took someone half his age to make him realise, but he still stood up, he passed the test of will

N.C

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
                              I agree, I'm not on board with the ship being sentient. I that were the case then I would have expected Atlantis to be sentient.

Comment

Working...
                              X