Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are common complaints about SGA and what are your rebuttals to those complaints?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are common complaints about SGA and what are your rebuttals to those complaints?

As noted in the thread title, what general complaints regarding SGA, both about the show itself and also behind the scenes, do you tend to see often and what are your counter-arguments to those claims?

SG-1 version of this thread here:

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/7...nts?p=12032083

SGA was an amazing spin-off. My favorite seasons were 1,3,4 and the first half of S5. My only complaint is how the show ended so quickly. It was robbed of a proper ending.
    Last edited by Briangate78; 31 October 2010, 03:52 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Common complaints: too much slapstick comedy, Teyla turning into a wallpaper, the lack of a real storyline or red thread in the 5th season, and too much focus on McKay which resulted in episodes that would fit better in fan fiction.

Rebuttal: None. I completely agree with this.
      sigpic

Comment

Complaint: Annoyance that Weir got axed so that Carter could come on the show, and that Carter never really fit in with the cast in season 4.

Rebuttal: It's really nobody's fault but Syfy's, as they wanted to use AT's contract to the fullest. So don't be blaming TH or AT or even TPTB
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
          My only complaint is how the show ended so quickly. It was robbed of a proper ending.
          I agree with that completely (but I actually liked all of season 5 and season 2 ).

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
            Common complaints: too much slapstick comedy, Teyla turning into a wallpaper, the lack of a real storyline or red thread in the 5th season, and too much focus on McKay which resulted in episodes that would fit better in fan fiction.

Rebuttal: None. I completely agree with this.
            *nods head* Way too much McKay focus, not enough everyone else focus. nuff said

Rebuttal: Yep none also cause I agree
            sigpic

Comment

The complaint I listed only has one rebuttle..

Not to cancel SGA for SGU, and let it run one more season.
              sigpic

Comment

The complaint I listed only has one rebuttle..

Not to cancel SGA for SGU, and let it run one more season.
                If MGM wasn't in a financial crises one might imagine both running together...the perfectness of that annoys me.

Complaint - Carter wasn't suited to SGA and felt forced in.

Rebuttal - True and while Weir didn't get a proper ending (I really feel she needed one, a complaint i have no rebuttal to) it did lead to Robert Picardo joining the show; perhaps one of the best main characters in the show.

Comment

Originally posted by YoshiKart64 View Post
                  If MGM wasn't in a financial crises one might imagine both running together...the perfectness of that annoys me.
                  MGM's financial woes have nothing to do with the end of Atlantis. TPTB simply weren't interested in doing another season of it.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    MGM's financial woes have nothing to do with the end of Atlantis. TPTB simply weren't interested in doing another season of it.
                    That right there is the truth, imho. SGU has not exactly been the knight in shining armor to pick up the franchise. Well it did for a little, now it's doing much worse than SGA did.
                    sigpic

Comment

That right there is the truth, imho. SGU has not exactly been the knight in shining armor to pick up the franchise. Well it did for a little, now it's doing much worse than SGA did.
                      Without factoring ratings into it, I do find the entire affair rather unfortunate. While I was no stranger to complaining about SGA while it was on, nowadays I find myself missing it. Not because of any particular fondness of The Rodney McKay Hour, but there were a lot of story threads introduced in the last year or two which I would really have liked to have seen played out over a 6th and final season.

I also find it unfortunate that, in the truest sense of the phrase, SGA was cancelled for SGU. People have been denying it for ages, but it's pretty clear that when the showrunners are no longer interested in it and would rather do something else....

For me personally, SGU has really answered all the complaints I had about SGA. But that doesn't make the end of SGA any less unfortunate.

Comment

Some common complaints I have heard about SGA were:
                        1) It was not different enough from SG-1 in it's tone and story structure despite TPTB having a chance to do a serialized show in the already established Stargate world.

2) The 1st season was the best and the show went downhil after the start of season 2 with only a few episodes a season that came above the level of mediocrity.

3)Too much emphasis on last minute fixes by McKay and the lack of character development for all of the characters including McKay even with all his screentime.

Rebuttals:
                        1) TPTB had planned to have SGA replace SG-1 with Atlantis being in the Milky Way galaxy, but had to change late in development due to Sci-Fi wanting to keep SG-1 running.

2) While season 1 was the most cohesive, there are more than a few good episodes in later seasons.

3) I can't disagree with this comment and hoped that SGU would do this better. Unfortunately for me, I didn't care enough for any of the characters on that show to continue watching after season 1.
                        Spoiler:
                        sigpic

Comment

McKay fixxed everything in the last minute
                          childish plots
                          stupid Wraith or Assurans
                          introducing Todd as a friendly Wraith destroyed Wraith as the main enemy and turned them into a cannon fodder
                          sometimes watching SGA was like watching a cartoon comedy than a scifi show
                          Ancients were portrayed as a short-sighted, arrogant and idiotic race
                          there's nothing good I can remember beside S1
                          there are many other things. I can add few maybe later
                          Stolen Kosovo
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            Without factoring ratings into it, I do find the entire affair rather unfortunate. While I was no stranger to complaining about SGA while it was on, nowadays I find myself missing it. Not because of any particular fondness of The Rodney McKay Hour, but there were a lot of story threads introduced in the last year or two which I would really have liked to have seen played out over a 6th and final season.

I also find it unfortunate that, in the truest sense of the phrase, SGA was cancelled for SGU. People have been denying it for ages, but it's pretty clear that when the showrunners are no longer interested in it and would rather do something else....

For me personally, SGU has really answered all the complaints I had about SGA. But that doesn't make the end of SGA any less unfortunate.
                            SGA was good fun and adventure. I miss that.
                            sigpic

Comment

They sorta dropped the ball with the Wraith IMO.
                              They were cool and all and very much in my top 10 of sci fi villians,but they just weren't "Bad" enough on the show as they were seemingly protrayed to be on the show.
                              I like Sharky
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X