the blues and the stargate SPOILERS s2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the blues and the stargate SPOILERS s2

Why dont they just dial onto destiny , theres no iris or anything. i know ur gonna say they didnt have a remote, but the sgc didnt have a dhd and the managed to make there own dialing system, and these blue guys are much more advanced than we are u'd think they could make one 10 times better than ours.
    ''It's not what you have, it's how you use it.''

Originally posted by Benr96 View Post
    Why dont they just dial onto destiny , theres no iris or anything. i know ur gonna say they didnt have a remote, but the sgc didnt have a dhd and the managed to make there own dialing system, and these blue guys are much more advanced than we are u'd think they could make one 10 times better than ours.
    Knowing how to dial and knowing where to dial are two very different things. The only reason Earth ever unlocked the Stargate system is because Milky Way gates use an easily identifiable coordinate system. Destiny gates use meaningless glyphs.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
      Knowing how to dial and knowing where to dial are two very different things. The only reason Earth ever unlocked the Stargate system is because Milky Way gates use an easily identifiable coordinate system. Destiny gates use meaningless glyphs.
      More to the point, Earth already had a working address (Abydos) that was relatively fixed. Indeed, this example address let them know that they needed to input 6 addresses coordinates and a point of origin.

However, for the sake of argument, let us say that the blues figured out how to use the Stargates.

Destiny is constantly on the move, which means a changing address. We know at least one address glyph from Destiny's address in "Air, Part 3" that is not part of Destiny's address in "Lost".

Moreover, given that Destiny moves out of range of the nearby Stargates when it jumps, meaning that the blues then have deal with not only finding out the Destiny's address, but also the point of origin for the 'Gate that they're using.
      "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
      - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
      - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
      - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

And plus if they could simply dial in whenever they wanted, well that would just wreak havoc with the story-line.
        We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, through argument and debate, but, most of all, freedom of will.
        —Alteran Woman

"It annoys me that the burden of proof is on us. It should be 'You came up with the idea, why do you believe it?' I could tell you I've got superpowers, but I can't go up to people saying 'Prove I can't fly' They'd say "What do you mean 'prove you can't fly?' Prove you can!"
        —Ricky Gervais

Comment

Originally posted by kernl sandrs View Post
          And plus if they could simply dial in whenever they wanted, well that would just wreak havoc with the story-line.
          im not saying i wan it to happen i agree it wouldnt be good i was just think they cud

Comment

The point is, that Milky Way gates can be dialled manually by supplying power and rotating the inner ring. That is essentially what the SGC dialling computer does. As far as we know, neither Pegasus nor Destiny-style gates can be dialled manually, so the only way is using a DHD or remote, respectively.

Also, as Quadhelix pointed out, it seems unlikely they can figure out Destiny's address on their own.
            sigpic

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Comment

Well, there are at least 2 kino remote units out there they can get... they could figure it out from that.

Comment

Also the blues don't know what stargate addresses to dial. Earth found a lot of addresses on a cartouche on Abydos and got a second huge list when O'neill typed it in (when he had the Ancient repository of knowledge in his head).
                Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rylor View Post
                  The point is, that Milky Way gates can be dialled manually by supplying power and rotating the inner ring. That is essentially what the SGC dialling computer does. As far as we know, neither Pegasus nor Destiny-style gates can be dialled manually, so the only way is using a DHD or remote, respectively.

Also, as Quadhelix pointed out, it seems unlikely they can figure out Destiny's address on their own.
                  i thought u cud do that with all of them, awell

Comment

Originally posted by Mike. View Post
                    Also the blues don't know what stargate addresses to dial. Earth found a lot of addresses on a cartouche on Abydos and got a second huge list when O'neill typed it in (when he had the Ancient repository of knowledge in his head).
                    they had thousands maybe millions of years to try figure it out , i wud of thought the wud be able to

Comment

they had thousands maybe millions of years to try figure it out , i wud of thought the wud be able to
                      It's seriously doubtful they've had that long to work on it, and even if they did no frame of reference exists for them to base their work on.

Comment

maybe because the Blues havent figured out the ancient's coding system and therefore have no way of actually controlling the gate? this might be what BlueChloe's intention is: bridging that gap, sending a databurst to the blues and that way, they can unlock the stargates

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          maybe because the Blues havent figured out the ancient's coding system and therefore have no way of actually controlling the gate? this might be what BlueChloe's intention is: bridging that gap, sending a databurst to the blues and that way, they can unlock the stargates
                          i like that idea

Comment

The problem is that, even if the Blues figured out how to use the Stargates (which is a problem of its own), they still have - at most - a day or two to guess the Destiny moves and its address changes.

Each dial takes roughly 1 minute. There are 1,168,675,200 possible addresses on a Destiny-style Stargate, once you know the Point of Origin. It would take over 2,000 years to go through all possible addresses. The Destiny typically stops for less than a few days.
                            "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                            - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                            - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                            - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Mike. View Post
                              Plus they had rush for a while.. maybe they got the info from him?

Comment

Working...
                              X