Question regarding the tentacle monster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question regarding the tentacle monster

What I really didn't get was why the creature didn't spread/grow underneath the barricade? And if Chloe could engage the creature just by walking a few feet to the side of the barricade, why couldn't it be the other way around?

I thought it was really weird that the alien just halted at the barricade and did essentially nothing to break through. Especially since the team was all like 'OMG we've got to get out of here' when they were on the run, so the creature could obviously spread through dense treelines. But suddenly the alien (that was likely to have an enormous root system underground) can't get past that lousy barricade.

Yeah that was just a bit too improbable, even for sci-fi.

it did go under, it knocked greer over. im guessing that it had to be close enough to go under.

Comment

Because the soil near the stargate is radio active?

Because the gate automatically taps in to the potato-ish roots to help power the gate?

Because the creature fears the seeder ship gods?

-----

Destiny was pretty vacant to start with, now with all those boxes off the ship, much more vacant. Such a sad ending to non-gadgets...

Comment

I think the tentacle monster just didn't want to get burned when all the soldiers still had full flamethrowers. It was a tough monster, but even that piece of Chloe's shirt burned so it only risked going in when there were fewer people there.

Also, the Destiny crew was able to out run the tentacle plant by hours so it must take a while for it to burrow.
        My Minecraft Stargatesigpic

Comment

Plus it dosnt like the Kawoosh, so it makes sense that it wouldnt want to go near the gate. It was kind of odd how Chloe just slinked off and found out then slinked back. Would have been better if she ran to the front dramatically imo

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow_7 View Post
            Because the creature fears the seeder ship gods?(
            When I first read this my tired old eyes saw, "Because the creature fears the seeder ship goats?" And I figured, heck yah, what plant wouldn't be afraid of some Ancient goats?

regards,
            G.
            Go for Marty...

Comment

i'd assume the planimals couldn't move that fast and it didn't like the stargate for some reason (i believe it was the kawoosh).

besides, the planimals were making it a battle of endurance, not one of sheer overwhelming power.

Comment

Or just a plot device for the planimal (i like the that) dont simple overrun them all.
                They could just lurk under them and burst out under them trowing them in the air.
                sigpic
                - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Or it was toying with them.

Comment

-I don't have that big a problem with the tentacle monster being kept at bay, since it was kinda slow and not very strong

-I did have a bit of a problem with the creature fearing the kawoosh, since it couldn't have had any knowledge of it. Although an easy and plausible explanation is that it was just scared of the visual effects out of some instinct, without actually knowing it was something to be feared.
                    I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
                      -I did have a bit of a problem with the creature fearing the kawoosh, since it couldn't have had any knowledge of it. Although an easy and plausible explanation is that it was just scared of the visual effects out of some instinct, without actually knowing it was something to be feared.
                      Maybe it's sensitive to the energy burst, like the light bug creatures on that planet where Carter took the uppity cadet.

Comment

Alternatly the Sonic vibrations when the kawoosh comes out is what they feared.. they did look a little 'glassy';..

Comment

It seems also that from the defenses Greer had setup, they dug pretty deep trenches so it maybe took the plant a little while to negotiate the obstacle. From the back the plant did seem to want to avoid the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by blackluster View Post
                            It seems also that from the defenses Greer had setup, they dug pretty deep trenches so it maybe took the plant a little while to negotiate the obstacle. From the back the plant did seem to want to avoid the gate.
                            Ya, I did see Greer's team digging trenches. That could have slowed it down a bit.

Comment

If they were smart, they would have pulled a Kevin Bacon and tricked it to jump off the edge of a cliff like he did with the Graboid. Rush did say he thought it was following them by the vibrations that they made....

Comment

Working...
                              X