PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica: The Official Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Erik Pasternak
January 14th, 2005, 05:33 PM
We have 17 threads regarding Battlestar Galactica, but they are all question or news threads. So, therefore, I decided on this, the official Battlestar Galactica disscusion thread. The show premeires tonight (well, in the U.S.) on Sci-Fi.

D.C.
January 14th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Hopefully it will be just as good as the mini-series. It doesn't start on Australian TV until later this year, but atleast we know that it will be on Network Ten sometime this year.

DownFallAngel
January 14th, 2005, 05:38 PM
What?! DOes this thread not count?

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=5170

Well....it is UK based...and we are US....US THREAD IS BETTER!!!! :p :p :p :p

Heh. Now go back to watching the lowdown! Trica Hefern is on!

Erik Pasternak
January 14th, 2005, 05:43 PM
You know what, it should. I did a search for "Battlestar Galactica," and since the title in that thread is spelled wrong, it didn't come up in the search. I'll let a mod decide what to do.

DownFallAngel
January 14th, 2005, 06:12 PM
About 15 minutes in '33' and did anyone else notice the re-use of some of the mini series scenes?

1. The combat landing
2. Galactica's jump (minus the ion storm background)
3. The engagement with the cylon raiders

IMForeman
January 14th, 2005, 06:15 PM
They changed the title sequence and music from the versions shown on SkyOne.

-IMF

TechnoWraith
January 14th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Watching the BattleStar Galactica Premiere as of this posting right now. It's turning out to be a great series. Friday nights on SciFi are gonna kick some killer butt this year! (FYI: SG-1, SG-Atlantis and BSG are airing Friday nights on SCiFi on fridays. How cool is that? :cool: I can actually stay up and see everything).

As for those not being able to see BattleStar Galactica yet (due to local TV schedules), you will not be disappointed. Good characters and a good developing plot.

DownFallAngel
January 14th, 2005, 07:58 PM
I have to say, I was thouroughly impressed. Both stories were great. Also, Grace Parker's portrayl of this 'What the hell is wrong with me?' charcter, was excellent. Rewatch the last raptor scene if you want to see this.

Man.....great series!

Darren
January 14th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Really, really, excellent so far. Great writing, strong character development, outstanding production values. Can't wait to see more.

keshou
January 14th, 2005, 08:12 PM
I thought both episodes were excellent. This is a gritty series, I really feel the sense of desperation in the band of colonists on the run. Lots of neat twists.

Impressed with the cast and the characterizations so far. Lots of depth to these characters. I agree that Grace Park is doing a wonderful job in her multiple roles.

UnderT
January 14th, 2005, 08:13 PM
I really liked this show. Commander Adama is an awesome character. The president gets on my nervse though.
"You're taking orders from a school teacher." :p

Calicto
January 14th, 2005, 08:22 PM
I love Battlestar Galactica because of the deep emotions involved. There are so many emotions running around and they seem so real that it forces the reader into a state of aweness.

If only Stargate can do this with Replicarter....

yaaayoubetcha
January 14th, 2005, 08:29 PM
First two eps were great....

as stated above....friday nights are gonna rock!
definately have to get a replaytv now so i never miss a new ep.

UnderT
January 14th, 2005, 08:36 PM
About 15 minutes in '33' and did anyone else notice the re-use of some of the mini series scenes?

1. The combat landing

I didn't knotice that but it wouldn't suprise me, I bet they'll do it more to.
Might be expensive. :rolleyes:

NightGloom
January 14th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Yay! Another reason to look forward to Fridays! I'm so glad they made this into a series, my dad even likes it and he was a major fan of the original. So much for the "fans of the original won't like this show"

Manic
January 14th, 2005, 08:49 PM
There's nothing like a good war story, and Battlestar Galactica is a good war story. It's a prime example of one of those sci-fi shows that only uses the science as a backdrop, and throws you head-first into the compelling fiction.

I also like how the Cylon's belief in god plays such an important role in their actions. From what we've seen of Six, it looks like they truly believe their actions are god's punishment against humanity. It gives them a certain quality that machines in other sci-fi shows seem to miss.

I love Boomer. If we can't have the actress as a recurring lieutenant in SG-1, then I'm perfectly happy having her as a regular lieutenant in Galactica. Even if she is... you know.

keshou
January 14th, 2005, 08:53 PM
I also like how the Cylon's belief in god plays such an important role in their actions. From what we've seen of Six, it looks like they truly believe their actions are god's punishment against humanity. It gives them a certain quality that machines in other sci-fi shows seem to miss.
I think that's a really interesting aspect to this series. And a pretty interesting treatment of machines getting religion, so to speak.

I did think they over-used Six in the first episode a little. There's only so much of her crawling around in Baltar's head that I can take. It was much better in the second episode. How long before they all think he's totally nuts, I wonder.

Persephone
January 14th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Well, if nothing else, this storyline about Boomer would hold my interest for as many episodes as it runs. But, of course it isn't the only worthwhile element, so...LOL

On a pathetic note, I checked imdb and realized that I recognized Chief Tyrol's face because he played a Jaffa for one scene in Redemption, Part II. Yes, I know Season Six very, very well...

JediTrilobite
January 14th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Loved every second of the first episode.

My Review: Battlestar Galactica 101: 33

I saw the first episode of the new Battlestar Galactica this evening, and was simply amazed at how well done it was. It's clear that this series is going to be very popular for it's well thought-out storyline, complex characters and ideological portions.
Taking place nearly a week or so after we left off with the miniseries that aired in December of 2003, and the Galactica is on the run. Every 33 minutes, they must make an FTL jump, for a Cylon Basestar arrives at their location, somehow tracking them. There are now less than 50,000 humans left of the human race after the destruction of the 12 colonies. The crew is running on no sleep at all, and everyone is tired and overworked, but they're running for their lives. Meanwhile, on Caprica, Helo, a Galactica Crewman left behind, is being persued by Cylons, and he destroys several before being captured. At the fleet, they discover that they are missing a ship, the Olympic Carrier, which carried 1300 people on board. After a jump and no cylons appear, they reappear on the ship. Most are relieved,but it quickly becomes apparent that the ship was captured and is destroyed, despite protests. Baltar is having hallucinations with Six, his Cylon lover, who tells him that the ship had Cylon agents on board. She also tells him that it's god's retribution for Baltar's athiesm.
This show rocks. Period. From this first episode, it's going above and beyond the miniseries, which had some weak points. This first episode has none. It's got a tight plot with some excellent acting, storytelling and CGI. Already, it's setting the stage for future episodes, first with Sharon aka Boomer, who is a Cylon, with Baltar/Six and religion, Apollo and Starbuck together and Apollo and his father. This show is destined for great things, and I think that it's going to be well recieved by audiances.
This episode has some paticularly harsh things about it. This show is dark, and there's little to lighten it up. From some of the first moments with pictures on the walls of Galactica of people who have been lost to the Olympic Carrier, a civilian ship, loaded down with explosives to destroy the Galactica, and the decision to destroy it, despite any civilian casualties. There are some very hard things in here, and the show doesn't flinch from it.
There's a sort of saying among some writers that I've seen in books about writing science fiction, paticularly with characters. To find the real character, you must put them through hell to find out who they really are. The crew of the Galactica are going through hell. They've just had their homes destroyed and they're running for their lives through unknown space, with the Cylons close behind. The characters snap at each other, cry and are generally exhaused, but continue onwards. The only things that are really good for them is the news that a new baby was born on one ship, and that with the destruction of the Olympic Carrier, the Cylons have stopped following.
On a technical level, this show is stunning. There is some great CGI, brought to us by the wonderful Zoic, who also did the CGI for the miniseries, Firefly, Buffy, Angel and the upcoming films A Sound of Thunder and Serenity. There are some 'stock' footage shots, with various dog fights and combat landings, but the new shots are simply out of this world, wonderful. The camera movements are still documentary style, with quick zooms and rapid movement, which really enhances portions of the show.
The acting around the board has improved. There were a couple of weak moments in the miniseries, paticularly with the crew chief Tyrol, who has several ackward moments during the series. However, Apollo, Starbuck, Adama, Tigh and the rest of the crew all do a wonderful job acting their parts.
Part one was followed by the Episode 102: Water. I only caught the first couple minutes, and the thing that I really noticed was the care and abstractness to the camera movements as Boomer wakes up soaking, unsure of what just happened, and when she finds a bomb in her backpack. More when I see that episode.
I can tell you one thing though, this is probably going to be one of the best science fiction television shows ever.

Taonas
January 14th, 2005, 09:06 PM
They changed the title sequence and music from the versions shown on SkyOne.

-IMF

How was it different?

IMForeman
January 14th, 2005, 09:07 PM
How was it different?

Some different images, and the first part of the music is very different.

-IMF

ShadowMaat
January 14th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Brent Stait (Ferretti) is in ep 3. Rather... um... different than his role on SG-1.

This show is great. Stargate's PTB should watch BSG and get ideas on how to develop characters strong and fast. You already have a good sketch of the principal players as well as a handful of the secondary/recurring characters.

Best thing is, it's so wonderful to feel HAPPY about a show again and to have faith in the writers to do a good job and to look forward to future eps without fear of what might happen.... well, other than people dying or secrets being revealed or the Cylons attacking. But no "what stupid POS plot device are they gonna attempt to recycle THIS week?" ;)

Taonas
January 14th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Brent Stait (Ferretti) is in ep 3. Rather... um... different than his role on SG-1.

Episode 3... that's "Bastille Day".

Who'd he play, one of the convicts?

ShadowMaat
January 14th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Episode 3... that's "Bastille Day".

Who'd he play, one of the convicts?
He plays Mason. Won't say more than that. :)

Section_One
January 14th, 2005, 10:36 PM
I have to say, I was thouroughly impressed. Both stories were great. Also, Grace Parker's portrayl of this 'What the hell is wrong with me?' charcter, was excellent. Rewatch the last raptor scene if you want to see this.

Man.....great series!

Grace Park you mean. :cool:

Yea, in my opinion, she's the best thing about the show. I love the show, but it is a bit disappointing knowing that she's going to wind up as an "evil" character, unless the writers get their acts together......

The whole situation with the Olympia carrier was done well and the radio message around the campfire was intriguing. :cool:

Erik Pasternak
January 14th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Well, just saw the first two eps. One word: AMAZING. Can't say that it beats Stargate, but its pretty damn good.

DANIquinn
January 14th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Friday nights are going to ROCK! I saw the miniseries and wasn't too impressed, but I figured I'd give the series a try anyway and I was blown away. My roommate is no longer going to be able to get me out of the room on Fridays nights. I'll be glued to the TV. :D I especially love the character of Boomer and Grace Park does an amazing job playing the part. As someone mention before, she alone is worth sitting through it every Friday night. But the entire thing is great! Wonderful series so far :p, can't wait until next week for more.

Blue Banrigh
January 15th, 2005, 04:33 AM

1. The combat landing

They do recycle certain special effects throughout the series, but they aren't really of any great import (it's not the same vipers being blown up over and over again).

But here is some others I remember:
4. Vipers launching from the tubes
5. Flyby of Galactica and the fleet with Colonial One in the foreground
6. Rear view of a single viper taking a hard right

I've only noticed these since I watch most of the episodes over and over again. If this is what it takes for them to have the extra effects in 'The Hand of God' and of the mechanical cylons, I don't mind.

DownFallAngel
January 15th, 2005, 08:42 AM
I love how they joke about Boomer being a Cylon.

Starbuck: Why?
Apollo: Cause, you know.
Starbuck: Cause I'm on DRUGS!? (small laugh) And Boomer is a CYLON!
(they all laugh)
Boomer: Oh cut it out.

ShadowMaat
January 15th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Has there been any speculation on the why's and what's of the Cylon Master Plan?

spoilers/speculation through ep 11
From what the Caprican cylons were saying, I gether there's a grand purpose to keeping Helo alive. Given Number Six's nymphomaniacal habits, as well, and figuring in all the rhetoric about how God doesn't choose sides and He is the God of ALL rather than just the cylons, I'm guessing that the cylons want a cylon-human hybrid. This will further God's plan and unite His "children".

I'm also going to take a wild stab here and say that Caprican Boomer is pregnant with Helo's baby. Whether or not she knew/suspected this and that was part of her reasoning into escaping with him, I dunno. But if she knows she's pregnant then she doesn't want the baby to be cylon property.

I'll be curious to see how things continue develop...

DownFallAngel
January 15th, 2005, 04:07 PM
I have a feeling that God will turn out to be the Impervious Leader, and that he will be one massive computer. I hope that doesn't happen.....

Manic
January 15th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Thinking back, I noticed that the Cylons always referred to God, while the humans aboard the Galactica always referred to the gods. Singular vs. Plural. I wonder if the conflict of polytheism vs. monotheism has something to do with the Cylons' motivation.

IMForeman
January 15th, 2005, 05:23 PM
I'm starting to worry that Starbuck may be a Cylon...

In "You Can't Go Home Again" she not only figures out and flies a Cylon Raider, but when she opens it up and sees the gunk, she asks "Are you alive?" just like Number Six does in the Mini, and again in 33.

I hope not. I really love Starbuck. She's my favorite character in this.

-IMF

Blue Banrigh
January 15th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Thinking back, I noticed that the Cylons always referred to God, while the humans aboard the Galactica always referred to the gods. Singular vs. Plural. I wonder if the conflict of polytheism vs. monotheism has something to do with the Cylons' motivation.

I don't think they have anything against polytheism, one of the cylons (Leoben) was denouncing humanity (in the mini and 1x08 - Flesh and Bone), saying we were the favoured children but repayed God with sin, hate, corruption and evil. He didn't mention idolatry.

I'm starting to worry that Starbuck may be a Cylon...

IMHO I don't think that was a clue to say she was a Cylon, rather to show that we are not so different from the Cylons, we ask the same philosophical questions, want the same things (love), etc.

ShadowMaat
January 15th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Didn't Leoben also say something to the effect of "all gods are the same God"?

Blue Banrigh
January 15th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Didn't Leoben also say something to the effect of "all gods are the same God"?

He said something along the lines of 'We are all God'. I'm not sure if he was refering to Cylons alone, or including humanity with it.

What's that line in Scripture that seems to be of particular import to the Cylons? "All of this has happened before, all of this will happen again." This has to be part of the Cylon plan.

The Hand of God:
"Led by serpents numbering two and ten...though the outcome favoured the few, it led to a confrontation at the Home of the Gods." Anybody else get chills down their spine when she said that?

DownFallAngel
January 16th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Just so everyone knows, tonight on SciFi, starting at 7pm, both 33 and Water will be re-aired. So if you missed out the first time, here is a chance to see them, while they are still fresh.

Seastallion
January 16th, 2005, 10:17 AM
To ShadowMaat:

Either you and I think a lot alike, or we're actually right. I was gonna post my theory about the Cylon "plan" only to find you'd beaten me to it. :p

*Highlight to read*

What tipped me off was what No. 6 said to Gaius in the first episode...that she wanted to have children with him...! (If that is even possible...) Then of course, there was her remark about God's commandment to procreate.

And if all that wasn't enough...there is the whole thing with "Boomer 2" and Helo, back on Caprica. The Cylons didn't capture him for intelligence...he's useless in that regard because he doesn't know where Galactica went.

The final straw was the fact that the Cylon "human" models, seem to be so well made, that even DNA testing can't seem to identify them...spooky...!

Essentially, I think the Cylons want to create a race of Cylon/Human hybrids...Cyborgs at the cellular level, if not the genetic level.

All in all, I think we're on the right track...time will tell. :)

meimei
January 16th, 2005, 11:08 AM
I have to say that I am quite pleased with BSG: The series so far! I loved the mini-series and yes, since I am an old scifi freak, I loved the original series! Not the other one though, Galactica 1980, or whatever it was... It just wasn't the same...

I was one that was a little disturbed by the gender switching of Starbuck and Boomer but so far I have enjoyed both characters. And it would make sense in 2004/05 to have women pilots. The orginal series had most of the women as eye candy! And I am so glad that they haven't started in with the Cassiopeia character from the original series. For those of you that don't remember the old series, Cassiopeia was a "socialator" (I think that was the term). Basically, a legal prosititute. She and Starbuck ended up with a thing going...

Anyway... I rewatched the mini-series during the week and then watched both eps Friday twice... (You have to love the repeating ep thing Scifi has going...) Considering the time between filming, they segued quite nicely into the series eps. I might even watch it again today... It starts in less than an hour..

DownFallAngel
January 16th, 2005, 12:35 PM
I have to say that I am quite pleased with BSG: The series so far! I loved the mini-series and yes, since I am an old scifi freak, I loved the original series! Not the other one though, Galactica 1980, or whatever it was... It just wasn't the same...

It might have had something to do with ABC killing off all the main characters, and replcaing them with Boxy.....what a mistake....

VirtualCLD
January 16th, 2005, 12:44 PM
I believe in an interview with one of the creators (Ronald D. Moore?) that the whole gods vs. God thing was planned and intentionally put in there to reflect current day struggles, but I'm not sure on that.

JediTrilobite
January 16th, 2005, 02:36 PM
It'll be interesting to see where that goes.

ShadowMaat
January 16th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Another good element I'm glad to see them carry over from the miniseries is the whole "It's not your fault" thing. The whole trend of laying the blame on someone else continues. :)

DownFallAngel
January 16th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Noticed a goof in '33'. In one of the conversations that Lee and Starbuck has, he refers to his ship as a Mark V, but in fact it is stated in the mini-series, and on SciFi.com's BSG section, that it is a Mark VII. I doubt he is refering to Starbuck's ship, because that is known to be a Mark IV. Possibly, a goof.

IMForeman
January 16th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Speaking of goofs... in "Water", why didn't they just recollect the frozen water they vented into space. It wouldn't have been destroyed or anything, and you'd think it would be easier than mining it off a frozen moon.

-IMF

ShadowMaat
January 16th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Does anyone know of any good BSG forums out there? And by good I mean "Not SCIFI's". ;) I found the Colonial Fleet and found a very good reason to at least lurk there (yummy Tyrol :D) but was wondering if there were any places where the hatred towards the new series was a little more... circumspect. Or even non-existent.

Blue Banrigh
January 16th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Speaking of goofs... in "Water", why didn't they just recollect the frozen water they vented into space. It wouldn't have been destroyed or anything, and you'd think it would be easier than mining it off a frozen moon.

Something about the sudden and violent change in pressure caused the water to boil at a low temperature and vaporize...

There was thread about this, lemme dig around and find it. It sounded a lot smarter than what I just said.

Found it here (http://www.mediablvd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19933&sid=6de4381e7c10a61208b5fdfb7217c89b).

Because ist is almost impossible to reclaim it.

Below an (air-)pressure of e.g. 6,09mbar and at a temperature of only 0,01°C water-ice directly changes into gaseous condition.
If you even lower the pressure (vacuum/space !!) or increase the temperature (liquid water !) it just happends at higher speed.

Of course the water looses temperature itself very rapidly.
But before it reaches the point of being able to stay frozen again it is spreaded over a wide range. Leaving almost all water-molecules too far away from each other to bind together an take a solid condition.

This effect is used (on far less extreme conditions) for freeze drying.
And it is the reason why it is possible to dry clothes outside on very very low temperatures. (Yes, even in actic temperatures you can dry your washing on the line - the colder, the better )

Conclusion:
If you have liquid water (no matter the temperture) under "normal" pressure (store) und if you take away ALL airpressure (explosion of wall towards space) the water instantly boils out of the ship in gasous condition.

You would have to collect the water-molecules in space to regain water.

As for other BSG forums there is:
Mediablvd (http://www.mediablvd.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=180) and
Ragnar Anchorage (http://ragnaranchorage.proboards25.com/index.cgi)

Erik Pasternak
January 16th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Does anyone know of any good BSG forums out there? And by good I mean "Not SCIFI's". ;) I found the Colonial Fleet and found a very good reason to at least lurk there (yummy Tyrol :D) but was wondering if there were any places where the hatred towards the new series was a little more... circumspect. Or even non-existent.Try here (http://www.mediablvd.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=180).

ShadowMaat
January 16th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Try here (http://www.mediablvd.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=180).
Cool! Jim Swallow has his own little section. Nice guy. Hung out a bit with him at L3 in Nov.

Will have to give a look through and see the other goodies. No "Ask Helo" thread, though. *sigh* He's yummy. And he also played Third in Unnatural Selection. :D

VirtualCLD
January 16th, 2005, 05:34 PM
See, the Mark # thing has me a bit confused. I have never heard of Mark IV, but I have heard the old Vipers (The one Commander Adama flew) as teh Mark II and I've also heard of the Mark V and the Mark VII, both referring to Apollo's Viper. I have heard the Mark V in both the SciFi Lowdown of BSG and the episodes of BSG, but I have also heard the Mark VII being used int he episodes, or the miniseries, I can't remember which. Maybe TPTB changed it from the miniseries to the series? Also, I thought Starbuck's Viper was a Mark II, along with the rest of BSG's Vipers (except Apollo, he arrived on the Gallactica with his newer Viper).

Dahak
January 16th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Yeah I had a question about the Viper models myself. There are only the Mark II and the Mark VII right now. In the Low Down the actress who plays Starbuck said there was a full sized mock up of 1 Mark V and 1 Mark II. That was a mistake on her part or they changed it later. I checked it out on the SciFi website and they only listed the 7 and 2.
Personnally I think it would make sense that they picked up some Mark V's at Ragnorak. The Mark II's are clearly WW2 level of fighters and the Mark VII's are the newest models. Now since Ragnorak was supposed to be a major ammo dump in case of a huge Cylon invasion I could buy that some older models like the Mark V would be put there. Sort of like that USAF moving all the Vietnam era fighters as back up in case of some huge war.

DownFallAngel
January 16th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Yeah I had a question about the Viper models myself. There are only the Mark II and the Mark VII right now. In the Low Down the actress who plays Starbuck said there was a full sized mock up of 1 Mark V and 1 Mark II. That was a mistake on her part or they changed it later. I checked it out on the SciFi website and they only listed the 7 and 2.
Personnally I think it would make sense that they picked up some Mark V's at Ragnorak. The Mark II's are clearly WW2 level of fighters and the Mark VII's are the newest models. Now since Ragnorak was supposed to be a major ammo dump in case of a huge Cylon invasion I could buy that some older models like the Mark V would be put there. Sort of like that USAF moving all the Vietnam era fighters as back up in case of some huge war.

The battle outpost was RAGNAR ANCHORAGE, not Ragnarok. Ragnarok is the Norse term for the apocolypse. Almost the same thing, I too beleive that is where Ron D Moore got the name from.

But Ragnar didn't have any fighters. It only housed rail gun coils, and warheads. There was never any mention of ships. The only ships where the Type IIs located in the mueseum area, and the Type 7s that were stored on Galactica. So I have no idea why they keep mentioning the type 5s.

ShadowMaat
January 16th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Well, if the're cannibalizing bits from Mark II's and Mark VII's, maybe they combine to make a Mark V... somewhere in between the other two. ;)

DownFallAngel
January 16th, 2005, 07:58 PM
See, the Mark # thing has me a bit confused. I have never heard of Mark IV, but I have heard the old Vipers (The one Commander Adama flew) as teh Mark II and I've also heard of the Mark V and the Mark VII, both referring to Apollo's Viper. I have heard the Mark V in both the SciFi Lowdown of BSG and the episodes of BSG, but I have also heard the Mark VII being used int he episodes, or the miniseries, I can't remember which. Maybe TPTB changed it from the miniseries to the series? Also, I thought Starbuck's Viper was a Mark II, along with the rest of BSG's Vipers (except Apollo, he arrived on the Gallactica with his newer Viper).

I doubt they changed it, that doesn't make sense. I think it is just a mistake, that they haven't corrected. And yes, Starbuck's Viper is a Mark II, along with all the other Viper's onboard Galactica. The only one that is different is Apollo's Mark VII.

I don't know why they keep mentioning Mark V.....its so damn odd...

DownFallAngel
January 16th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Well, if the're cannibalizing bits from Mark II's and Mark VII's, maybe they combine to make a Mark V... somewhere in between the other two. ;)

That would make sense, but so far the only Mark VII, is Apollo's. So why would they butcher his ship to improve one or two Mark IIs? Doesn't really make sense. Also, all the ships that were in the Port Hangar Bay/The Mueseum Area were all working Mark IIs. Good idea though.

ShadowMaat
January 16th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Ah well, 'twas worth a shot. I'm lucky if I can tell the difference between a Viper and a Raptor, mevermind model numbers. ;)

DownFallAngel
January 16th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Ah well, 'twas worth a shot. I'm lucky if I can tell the difference between a Viper and a Raptor, mevermind model numbers. ;)

WHA?! Oh come on! A raptor is the orange/brownish box thing. The viper is a sleek red/white jet fighter. The Mark VII is a sleek silver/blueish fighter.

Dahak
January 17th, 2005, 05:52 AM
The battle outpost was RAGNAR ANCHORAGE, not Ragnarok. Ragnarok is the Norse term for the apocolypse. Almost the same thing, I too beleive that is where Ron D Moore got the name from.

But Ragnar didn't have any fighters. It only housed rail gun coils, and warheads. There was never any mention of ships. The only ships where the Type IIs located in the mueseum area, and the Type 7s that were stored on Galactica. So I have no idea why they keep mentioning the type 5s.

I know they didn't have any fighters there. I was saying it would make sense (in a military sort of way) to keep older but not antiquated fighters there. So if they picked up some Mark V's there I would be O.K. with it. But I know they didn't.
The actress who plays Starbuck mentioned the Mark V. Now probably she was wrong or for some reason TPTB changed it and she forgot. That is where the Mark V talk comes from.
My question is were there other Colonial warships other than Battlestars? Heavy assault carriers are great but they can't do everything. Will we maybe see Colonial equivalants of cruisers or destroyers. That would help them out a lot so probably we will never see them. Got to keep the BSG crew screwed don't they?

DownFallAngel
January 17th, 2005, 06:54 AM
I know they didn't have any fighters there. I was saying it would make sense (in a military sort of way) to keep older but not antiquated fighters there. So if they picked up some Mark V's there I would be O.K. with it. But I know they didn't.
The actress who plays Starbuck mentioned the Mark V. Now probably she was wrong or for some reason TPTB changed it and she forgot. That is where the Mark V talk comes from.
My question is were there other Colonial warships other than Battlestars? Heavy assault carriers are great but they can't do everything. Will we maybe see Colonial equivalants of cruisers or destroyers. That would help them out a lot so probably we will never see them. Got to keep the BSG crew screwed don't they?

As of this moment, the only military ship in the rag tag fleet is the Galactica. At one point in the old series, two more battlestars joined the rag tag fleet towards the end of the first season, but that's a different story. So I think it is just a goof.

Blue Banrigh
January 17th, 2005, 08:23 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/lozenger8/Nakey%20Jamie/PDVD_042.jpg

Did I mention I watch this series for the story, drama and characters? The gratuitous shots of half-naked eyecandy is really just a bonus. :D

Back to the thread... Moore has mentioned he wouldn't mind bringing in the Pegasus storyline in. That would be so cool, to see two Battlestars side by side. And a new Commander Cain would be suitably as cool, but right now having trouble imagining anybody as kick-ass (really have to stop using this word, I sound like I'm 14) as Adama.

DownFallAngel
January 17th, 2005, 08:33 AM
In the old series, Galactica was joined by the Atlantia and the Pegasus. But in the new series, the Atlantia was the creme de la creme of battlestars, and it was destroyed in the first half of the pilot series.

But commanding the Pegasus....I could see Michael Jai White doing it. Someone like that. Maybe a Morpheus type figure, who is more religious than militaristic.

Blue Banrigh
January 17th, 2005, 08:50 AM
But commanding the Pegasus....I could see Michael Jai White doing it. Someone like that. Maybe a Morpheus type figure, who is more religious than militaristic.

A shift back to the Adama of old?

I used to see Lance Henriksen as Cain, but now with Edward James Olmos as Adama that would be too similiar.

ShadowMaat
January 17th, 2005, 09:02 AM
How about Tony Todd? Maybe not a huge name, but he's big and dark and broody and big... He kinda scares me, actually. ;) Candyman, himself. Although I don't remember enough about the original series to recall any real details. I remember Boxey and his Daggit. I think Boxey was around my age at the time...

DownFallAngel
January 17th, 2005, 09:10 AM
How about Tony Todd? Maybe not a huge name, but he's big and dark and broody and big... He kinda scares me, actually. ;) Candyman, himself. Although I don't remember enough about the original series to recall any real details. I remember Boxey and his Daggit. I think Boxey was around my age at the time...

Wasn't it called 'Muffit'? Or 'Muffin' or something?

I could see Avery Brooks being a good captain of the Pegasus. He was realllllllly good in DS9.

Also, Tony Todd.....I can't see the 'Candyman' being a good hero. He also seemed so weak to me. Remeber 'Jitters' that episode in SMALLVILLE?

IMForeman
January 17th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Wasn't it called 'Muffit'? Or 'Muffin' or something?

Muffet.

-IMF

ShadowMaat
January 17th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Tony guested on an ep of... Andromeda? And he was pretty good in that. I just like the guy. He's scary. ;) But I'll defer on that one. I'm sure whoever they find will be good.

meimei
January 17th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Ack! Too young to remember! *snorts in an unladylike way*

Well, the original Cain was played by Lloyd Bridges, that would be Jeff Bridges' dad to you, Shadow, you young whippersnapper... He was kinda of a big deal guest star back in the day... And since Lorne Green played Adama, they were kind of similar in look, just not action or character. And Cain was a renegade type character, not necessarily a "good guy" kinda hero...

I would like to see Avery Brooks in that role too, though. I think that would be a good choice!

And it was Muffet... *wanders off mumbling "Muffin... what a silly name..." *snort**

ShadowMaat
January 17th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Hey. I'm not THAT young! :P I know Lloyd Bridges. And Lorne Green, too, for that matter. :P But my prioroties were different back then. Maybe I should just dig out those BSG collector cards my sister had and do a bit of reading...

Reynaldo
January 17th, 2005, 12:49 PM
I found out on a website (The Grace Park Fan Site) (http://www.graceparkfan.com) that Grace Park who plays Boomer on BSG was on Stargate at one point. It was strange to see pictures of her in American military clothes! Actually, she has been on a lot of sci-fi tv from what the site showed...

blufeenix
January 17th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Grace Park who plays Boomer on BSG was on Stargate at one point.

Yep she was in Season 5's Proving Ground playing Satterfield

And as for BSG I just saw Ep. 11 and WOW! :D

IMForeman
January 17th, 2005, 01:30 PM

They just aired Proving Ground again on Sci-Fi and I couldn't help but yell at the screen "Don't trust her! She's a Cylon!"

-IMF

VirtualCLD
January 17th, 2005, 01:34 PM
To Thedon:
LOL I love your signature explaining 33 Minutes, that's hillarious. :)
::crawls back to his sad life::

IMForeman
January 17th, 2005, 01:41 PM
To Thedon:
LOL I love your signature explaining 33 Minutes, that's hillarious. :)
::crawls back to his sad life::

That's from Ron Moore's blog... it's a good read.

-IMF

ShadowMaat
January 17th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Love the Helo sig, too. He's my fave character. ;) And oh so yummy, too. :D

Speaking of Helo, I figure he's in for a bad time in the season finale. But hopefully he'll live.

DownFallAngel
January 17th, 2005, 01:56 PM
That's from Ron Moore's blog... it's a good read.

-IMF

Yea, I loved reading it. He's like 'Why 33 minutes? Just some random number. Enough time to ****, bursh your teeth and refuel your viper before the Cylons come and try to kill you.'. He's funny. Have you guys heard him on the DVD commentary, with Rymer and Eick? he's funny there too. He's like:

Moore: Watch this....
Eick goes to say something
Moore: no! shut up and watch this part! LOOK AT THAT! LOOK!

He has his funny moments.

ShadowMaat
January 17th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Saw a casting suggestion on another board that left me ashamed for not suggesting it myself: James Morrison as Cain. Love him, too, and he's a super nice guy, too. :D

DownFallAngel
January 17th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Saw a casting suggestion on another board that left me ashamed for not suggesting it myself: James Morrison as Cain. Love him, too, and he's a super nice guy, too. :D

Odd that he just happened to command the Saritoga from SAAB......

You know, they could always find like some experimental ship that FTLed in an experiment and crash landed on some planet. Galactica could then repair it and place Tigh in charge. And they could call it Pegasus. It would ahve to be way advanced though, like way advanced.

Roselin would have to be like 'President Adar never spoke of a new class of Battlestar. Why was he never told.'

And Adama would be like 'Because we knew a Cylon threat was coming.' and bam! Season 2 cliffhangar!

ShadowMaat
January 17th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Nah. Commodore Ross was in charge of the 'Toga, McQueen was only in charge of the 58th Squadron. ;)

How about R Lee Ermey? :D

DownFallAngel
January 17th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Nah. Commodore Ross was in charge of the 'Toga, McQueen was only in charge of the 58th Squadron. ;)

How about R Lee Ermey? :D

Yea.....he was really convincing in Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003), so yes, I could see him in that role. Man Shadow, you have some good picks. Anyone else you're thinking of?

Manic
January 17th, 2005, 03:10 PM
I was watching "Water" again, and I was slightly taken aback when Boomer and the Chief were talking toward the end of the episode. When they hugged, did he call Boomer... "sweety"?

IMForeman
January 17th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Ack! Too young to remember! *snorts in an unladylike way*

Well, the original Cain was played by Lloyd Bridges, that would be Jeff Bridges' dad to you, Shadow, you young whippersnapper...

Hey... maybe if they run across the Battlestar Pegasus in the new series, they should see if they can get Jeff Bridges to play the new version of Commander Cain.

-IMF

Matt G
January 17th, 2005, 04:36 PM

And as for BSG I just saw Ep. 11 and WOW! :D

Straight! Like(spoilers below)
Since when did the Boomer on Galactica know she was a Cylon?

TechnoWraith
January 17th, 2005, 04:40 PM

I think that would be covered in the original mini-series, wouldn't it? I haven't seen the original mini-series, so i really can't answer.

Just a note: You may want to use the spoiler tags when placing spoilers in posts. Changing the color of the text doesn't always work in all cases. :)

chodu82
January 17th, 2005, 04:44 PM
can some 1 help me with kobol gleaming part 1 spolier
[where did starbuck go to to fetch the aroow caprica or kobol and wat is the prophecy]

ShadowMaat
January 17th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Spoiler tags: [ spoiler] Everybody dies. [ /spoiler]

Take out the spaces in the brackets and you're all set.

Made ya look. :P

IMForeman
January 17th, 2005, 04:58 PM
"Are You Alive?" (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4181197.stm)

Proto-Cylons?

-IMF

TechnoBoY
January 17th, 2005, 05:09 PM
I think it has a crappy theme song and crappy opening titles. BOOOOO!

Show is decent though.

meimei
January 17th, 2005, 05:09 PM
I was watching "Water" again, and I was slightly taken aback when Boomer and the Chief were talking toward the end of the episode. When they hugged, did he call Boomer... "sweety"?
LOL! Yes, he did, but yes, that was covered in the mini! There's existing ship there... And it's not the Galactica! It's quite funny, too. They evidently try to keep it under wraps...

ETA: spoiler space? Wouldn't want Shadow after me...

Blue Banrigh
January 17th, 2005, 05:18 PM

It's never actually shown that she knows what she is.

And that

"Are You Alive?" (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4181197.stm)

Proto-Cylons?

If they are, at least we'll know not to treat them like crap.

ShadowMaat
January 17th, 2005, 05:19 PM
they are, at least we'll know not to treat them like crap.
You really think so? You have more faith in humanity than I, my friend. ;)

Blue Banrigh
January 17th, 2005, 05:38 PM
You really think so? You have more faith in humanity than I, my friend. ;)

Well... I won't treat my Cylon like crap. And pray when the come to destroy us, it'll remember that.

DownFallAngel
January 17th, 2005, 05:42 PM
LOL! Yes, he did, but yes, that was covered in the mini! There's existing ship there... And it's not the Galactica! It's quite funny, too. They evidently try to keep it under wraps...

ETA: spoiler space? Wouldn't want Shadow after me...

It's not a ship, its a relationship. They are actually an item. There is a deleted scene on the DVD, where Boomer exsists her RAPTOR and yells at Tyrol. He follows her into the supply closet, and they have sex.

Also, Boomer is one of the humanoid Cylons. She is a sleeper agent onboard Galactica.

As for the Kobol's Last Gleaming question, I qould assume Kobol, as they've jumped so far out of the Red-Line area, that there is no logic to head backwards. Also, in the mini-series Adama specifically says 'We're jumping out of this system. And we're never coming back.' Also...the title might give it away...Kobol's last gleaming....Kobol....you know?
:D :D :D :D :D :D ;) ;)

chodu82
January 17th, 2005, 05:54 PM
then why does the pictures show helo when starbuck kills sixth. and gets the arrow, she goes back to caprica with updated jump systems and autopilot

chodu82
January 17th, 2005, 05:56 PM
then why does the pictures show helo when starbuck kills sixth. and gets the arrow, she goes back to caprica with updated jump systems and autopilot

DownFallAngel
January 17th, 2005, 06:10 PM
It was revleaed during the second installation of the BSG Lowdown that one of Sixth's vessels is onboard the rag tag fleet. She, later on, joins the ranks of the Galactica crew. Probably during 1x04 'Act Of Contridiction'. Also, Helo is on Cylon Occupied Caprica. He gave up his seat for Dr. Baltar, and has been running from the Centrurions for almost 13 days.

Also, you double posted. You might want to go back and delete one of the posts.

Blue Banrigh
January 17th, 2005, 06:24 PM
It was revleaed during the second installation of the BSG Lowdown that one of Sixth's vessels is onboard the rag tag fleet. She, later on, joins the ranks of the Galactica crew. Probably during 1x04 'Act Of Contridiction'. Also, Helo is on Cylon Occupied Caprica. He gave up his seat for Dr. Baltar, and has been running from the Centrurions for almost 13 days.

That's actually in the episode 'Six Degrees of Separation', not 'Act of Contrition'.

Is it too much to hope that Jamie Bamber (Lee Adama) will show up on Atlantis as an English scientist? :D

DANIquinn
January 17th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Is it too much to hope that Jamie Bamber (Lee Adama) will show up on Atlantis as an English scientist? :D
Probably.:p Love your sig by the way. :D

DownFallAngel
January 17th, 2005, 06:29 PM
That's actually in the episode 'Six Degrees of Separation', not 'Act of Contrition'.

Actually....both titles are correct. It just depends on the company. Many UK viewers stated that their TV Guides and Dish Information Panels stated the episode as Six Degrees, but then again many pamflets and many upcoming channel shows said it to be Acts of Contridiction. So it depends.

And, I don't know. Chris Judge appearded on Andromeda, so I think Apollo can star on SG1/SGA if he wanted.

meimei
January 17th, 2005, 06:35 PM
It's not a ship, its a relationship. They are actually an item. There is a deleted scene on the DVD, where Boomer exsists her RAPTOR and yells at Tyrol. He follows her into the supply closet, and they have sex.

Also, Boomer is one of the humanoid Cylons. She is a sleeper agent onboard Galactica.

As for the Kobol's Last Gleaming question, I qould assume Kobol, as they've jumped so far out of the Red-Line area, that there is no logic to head backwards. Also, in the mini-series Adama specifically says 'We're jumping out of this system. And we're never coming back.' Also...the title might give it away...Kobol's last gleaming....Kobol....you know?
:D :D :D :D :D :D ;) ;)
Ship is short for relationship, be it friendship or something more intimate. ;) Also, the mini-series on Scifi showed them in the storage room. That's what I was referring to. :p

DownFallAngel
January 17th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Ship is short for relationship, be it friendship or something more intimate. ;) Also, the mini-series on Scifi showed them in the storage room. That's what I was referring to. :p

Yea....but ship is that term you shippers use for what Jack and Sam have. It's like your wants and desires. Boomer and Tyrol actually have something.

And yea, in the miniseries they just argue and kiss. But in the deleted scene, they begin taking off each others clothes and get alot more intimate.

Blue Banrigh
January 17th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Probably.:p Love your sig by the way. :D

Thank you. :D

meimei
January 17th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Yea....but ship is that term you shippers use for what Jack and Sam have. It's like your wants and desires. Boomer and Tyrol actually have something.

And yea, in the miniseries they just argue and kiss. But in the deleted scene, they begin taking off each others clothes and get alot more intimate.
Darlin', you say you shippers like that's a bad thing!! ;) It's also used for every other relationship listed on the GW board, real, imagined or wishful!! So it's appropriate use! :p

DownFallAngel
January 17th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Darlin', you say you shippers like that's a bad thing!! ;) It's also used for every other relationship listed on the GW board, real, imagined or wishful!! So it's appropriate use! :p

Do you want me to say what I think about shippers? Cause I can get nasty. But I'll refrain.

Section_One
January 18th, 2005, 01:17 AM
In the old series, Galactica was joined by the Atlantia and the Pegasus. But in the new series, the Atlantia was the creme de la creme of battlestars, and it was destroyed in the first half of the pilot series.

The Atlantia was the flagship in the original series as well and was the ship which the peace treaty was going to be signed on (the president and the colonial leaders were on board).

The only famous known Battlestars from the original series that we don't know what happened to in this version (as of yet), are the Pacifica and the Pegasus.

Surely the Pegasus deserves someone better to be it's captain than Michael Jai White. He's certainly no Lloyd Bridges, not by a long shot.

I also don't remember any other Battlestar in the original, other than the Pegasus meeting up with the Galactica, though if you could tell me which episode another one did, I would appreciate it.

DownFallAngel
January 18th, 2005, 03:37 AM
The Atlantia was the flagship in the original series as well and was the ship which the peace treaty was going to be signed on (the president and the colonial leaders were on board).

The only famous known Battlestars from the original series that we don't know what happened to in this version (as of yet), are the Pacifica and the Pegasus.

Surely the Pegasus deserves someone better to be it's captain than Michael Jai White. He's certainly no Lloyd Bridges, not by a long shot.

I also don't remember any other Battlestar in the original, other than the Pegasus meeting up with the Galactica, though if you could tell me which episode another one did, I would appreciate it.

I always thought I saw two in the ending scene, two other than Galactica. Also, we are looking for black male actors who could portray a captain. That's all. But Avery Brooks would be my first choice, now that I mentioned him.

shovar
January 18th, 2005, 08:12 AM
it's the final episode next monday, yesterday's was amazing, i hope sturbuck rescues helo when she goes to get the arrow of apollo and that they rescue the chief and the rest of the crew, also that boomer on galatica does some serious damage to galatica in the final episode. Does anyone think that they will actually find earth?

ShadowMaat
January 18th, 2005, 08:30 AM
*covers eyes* I haven't seen the ep yet! :P Not that I've been terribly careful about spoilers, myself. ;) Will just keep repeating my mantra: Helo is yummy, Helo is yummy... ;)

GateGipsy
January 18th, 2005, 09:35 AM
All I can say about last night's ep is wow. And double wow. And triple wow. Who expected it to open that way! And both Boomer storylines are riveting. I wonder what has happened to Boxy though?

I don't want it to end next week!

ShadowMaat
January 18th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Helo is yummy, Helo is yummy... I wonder if my boss would believe me if I said I was sick and had to go home? Then I could watch Hel- I mean, the show. :D

SEREN LWCH (MAL)
January 18th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Ok, is this going to be repeated this week? And is it important that i watched the mini series first? I did not. 2 reasons:

1) I dont really have the time to get into another SCIFI series. (But reading and hearing reaction i'll give it a go.)

2) I had a HUGE crush on Apollo in the original series. Also the casting of Starbuck as woman put me off. (but reading and hearing reactions i'll give it a go)

:D :D

GateGipsy
January 18th, 2005, 10:05 AM
I'd say that yes, watching the first nini-series makes a big difference. I'd recommend waiting until they start repeating it perhaps. For the best impact and to really understand the characters it is best to watch from the start.

Also, unlike Stargate for example, this isn't a 'series' as such, it is a mini series. So there is one overall story arc, and while you could probably get into the show if you started with an earlier episode, this weeks episode was the second to last - next week is the finale. So there's a lot you may not understand.

Don't worry about Starbuck being a woman! They haven't done a sort of corny update of the show to bring it into the 21st century. Rather they've taken the 'spirit' of the original series, then remade it around that. It works really well. I was resistant because of the gender changes too, but now Starbuck is my favourite character in the show.

SEREN LWCH (MAL)
January 18th, 2005, 10:38 AM
I'd say that yes, watching the first nini-series makes a big difference. I'd recommend waiting until they start repeating it perhaps. For the best impact and to really understand the characters it is best to watch from the start.

Also, unlike Stargate for example, this isn't a 'series' as such, it is a mini series. So there is one overall story arc, and while you could probably get into the show if you started with an earlier episode, this weeks episode was the second to last - next week is the finale. So there's a lot you may not understand.

Don't worry about Starbuck being a woman! They haven't done a sort of corny update of the show to bring it into the 21st century. Rather they've taken the 'spirit' of the original series, then remade it around that. It works really well. I was resistant because of the gender changes too, but now Starbuck is my favourite character in the show.

i'll wait for the repeats then :)

ShadowMaat
January 18th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Or get the DVD. I think it has additional unaired footage.

I am really glad I got over my anger about the "re-imagining" and gave this show a shot because it is without a doubt one of the best things I've seen in years.

Shipperahoy
January 18th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Look Shadow I'm using spoiler space! :D

Spoilers for Kobol's Last Gleaming Part 1 ep. 12

OMG! I just sat there in silence for a couple of minutes after that episode. They sure was a lot to soak in. So much happened. Poor Boomer. Both Galactica and Caprica Boomer. She just can't catch a break. And is Baltar actually starting to feel something for someone other than himself? I'm still trying to decide whether his motivations when he was talking to Boomer were selfless or selfish. Perhaps a combination of both? I can't help but think that he's worried that if they discover she's a Cylon that his bum will be in the fryer since he told her she wasn't one. Yet, he seemed to be legitimately emotional when talking to her. And he does seem to be more upset about Starbucks little....erm...slip of the tongue than would be warranted if he felt nothing for her. So is it just a wounded male ego or does he legitmately care for her? We shall see.

As far as the whole Apollo and Starbuck thing goes I was a little taken aback. I could see them playing a little bit with some sparks between them thus far but I was surprised by Lee's freakout. It's like he was acting like Kara cheated on him. Did I miss something? Did they get together and I missed it? As far as I know there was nothing but friendship between them and I could understand him maybe being jealous but the way he laid into Starbuck and made her feel like a whore was really unexpected. Anyway, I too hope that Starbuck picks up Helo while she's on Caprica, the poor boy deserves to go home.

Man, I can't wait for the finale!

DownFallAngel
January 18th, 2005, 01:10 PM

It has some deleted scenes. I really wish that they had finished the renders, and included them in the series. The only one that doesn't make sense is Apollo's run in with a Cylon nuke. It was a good idea and a good concept. I like how he had to run through the training ground to escape it, it was cool.

Shipperahoy
January 18th, 2005, 01:12 PM
More ep. 12 spoilers

So I was thinking more about the Apollo/Starbuck confrontation and maybe the reason he was acting all betrayed is because he thinks she's sullying his brother's memory. Maybe he thinks she's forgotten Zak or has betrayed him? I don't know. As I've said I have seen some sparks between Apollo and Starbuck and thought that maybe they were heading toward them having feelings for each other but Lee's reaction seemed so over the top. He was acting betrayed. The whole "Why did you do it?" bit and all was like they're a couple when as far as I know they're just friends. It's just wierd to me.

DownFallAngel
January 18th, 2005, 01:20 PM
I wishe BSG was released internationally at the same time, so I could discuss these thing swith you Shipper!

DownFallAngel
January 18th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Former STAR TREK writer/producer Ronald D. Moore has reason to celebrate, as his new Sci-Fi Channel series BATTLESTAR GALACTICA set ratings records for the cable network with its Friday premiere.

According to a press release circulated by the network, BSG was watched by 3.1 million viewers and becomes the highest-rated January program ever on Sci-Fi. BSG's premiere is second only to the network's summer 2004 premiere of STARGATE: ATLANTIS. With a 2.6 household rating, BSG delivered #1 performances among cable networks on Friday in several demographic categories, including M25-54, M18-49 and M18-34.

The PR goes on to compare the show to Friday's first-run presentation of STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE: "BATTLESTAR won a decisive victory over UPN's ENTERPRISE, outperforming its new episode in total viewers, P25-54 (2.2 million vs. 1.7 million) and P18-49 (1.8 million vs. 1.5 million)."

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA continues its season on the Sci-Fi Channel, Fridays at 10p following STARGATE: SG-1 and STARGATE: ATLANTIS.

AWESOME! AWESOME TO THE MAX!

Dahak
January 18th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Well, I am not suprised. Ent was terrible and even worse it was just plaing boring.
BSG though rocked.

Elwe Singollo
January 18th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Well, I am not suprised. Ent was terrible and even worse it was just plaing boring.
BSG though rocked.Unfortantely, i thought it was boring too... :(

I didn't think BSG was too bad either :rolleyes:

IMForeman
January 18th, 2005, 08:46 PM
BSG though rocked.

What?!? Ents aren't terrible or boring!!! Just because they talk really, really slow and look like trees... Oh, wait. You meant ENTerprise... carry on, then.

-IMF

ShadowMaat
January 18th, 2005, 08:48 PM
What?!? Ents aren't terrible or boring!!! Just because they talk really, really slow and look like trees... Oh, wait. You meant ENTerprise... carry on, then.
So glad I wasn't the only one having that problem. ;)

sk8r^Ry
January 18th, 2005, 09:05 PM
The cylons are pretty cool looking. I never saw the original series but heard it was lame. how come some cylons look like people and some look like robots or whatever? do the human looking ones have biological parts or are they like Data?

Enemyoffun15
January 18th, 2005, 11:23 PM
I'm new here...just signed up a few days ago.

As an answer to the last post, the Cylons made themselves look like humans to blend in I think. They're completely organic but have synthetic components or something. In the mini-series its mentioned there are 12 different models and several copies of them.

So far there is no clear way to detect who is a Cylon and who is not.

DownFallAngel
January 19th, 2005, 03:47 AM
I'm new here...just signed up a few days ago.

As an answer to the last post, the Cylons made themselves look like humans to blend in I think. They're completely organic but have synthetic components or something. In the mini-series its mentioned there are 12 different models and several copies of them.

So far there is no clear way to detect who is a Cylon and who is not.

Actually, not true. Baltar created a flawed screening test, and then ran out of nessecary resources to implicate this test. It worked, but only on a handful of people. Also, he was ordered by both Adama and Roselin to make a new test, which he will be doing, with the aid of Gainan (NOT GAITEN!).

GateGipsy
January 19th, 2005, 03:48 AM
The cylons are pretty cool looking. I never saw the original series but heard it was lame. how come some cylons look like people and some look like robots or whatever? do the human looking ones have biological parts or are they like Data?

The original series wasn't lame. Maybe it looks hokey now, but at the time it came out there was nothing like it on TV at all. No TV show had the special effects that you had in BSG. To see 'outer space' like this, you had to go to the movies. Then all of sudden, there it was, in your living room for an hour, every week. At the time it was absolutely mind blowing! Also, you just didn't have Sci Fi on TV at the time. Apart from a few UK shows like Blakes Seven. BSG was it until Star Trek: Next Generation appeared a few years later. BSG had a huge mainstream appeal. Oh there was Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (early 80s) buuuut...now that was lame! And there was Logan's Run in the 70s, which was excellent, but not sci fi set in outer space.

And, just as the current series of BSG seems to be setting new standards in TV cinematoghraphy, so did the original series. Where the current series has the advantage is in the storylines. The original series wasn't quite as strong there - the budget went on the special effects. Also, it was 'story arc' oriented, but more like standalone single episodes as that was the style of the time, plus it was a full series rather than a mini series.

Enemyoffun15
January 19th, 2005, 06:40 AM
I was under the impression that Baltar made up his test. Because it was Number Six who told him about the human Cylons. I thought the test was just a smoke screen to keep Adama and others from discovering the truth about him.

It was also a way for him to explain how he knew about the device in the control room.

I think the test was bogus...that there really is no way to tell human Cylons from normal humans.

meimei
January 19th, 2005, 06:59 AM
The original series wasn't lame. Maybe it looks hokey now, but at the time it came out there was nothing like it on TV at all. No TV show had the special effects that you had in BSG. To see 'outer space' like this, you had to go to the movies. Then all of sudden, there it was, in your living room for an hour, every week. At the time it was absolutely mind blowing! Also, you just didn't have Sci Fi on TV at the time. Apart from a few UK shows like Blakes Seven. BSG was it until Star Trek: Next Generation appeared a few years later. BSG had a huge mainstream appeal. Oh there was Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (early 80s) buuuut...now that was lame! And there was Logan's Run in the 70s, which was excellent, but not sci fi set in outer space.

And, just as the current series of BSG seems to be setting new standards in TV cinematoghraphy, so did the original series. Where the current series has the advantage is in the storylines. The original series wasn't quite as strong there - the budget went on the special effects. Also, it was 'story arc' oriented, but more like standalone single episodes as that was the style of the time, plus it was a full series rather than a mini series.
You go, GG! Tell these young whippersnappers!! I loved the original BSG but I am a scifi freak, have been since the original ST aired in the 60's! And that looks even more hokey now than the orignal BSG! But again, it was something never seen on tv before...

The original Trek broke all kinds of barriers in television and not just for special effects. The first interracial kiss was on Star Trek. Having Russian and Chinese crewmen and a black woman on the bridge in the middle of the cold war and the civil rights era were also considered break throughs.

All of the "hokey" old scifi shows led to the shows that we love today, such as the new BSG and SG1! And I am so getting into the new BSG even though I was one of the ones that complained about the gender change in Starbuck and Boomer!

ShadowMaat
January 19th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Just think of all the people who'll be ridiculing the hokiness of Stargate somewhere down the road. "It was so stupid and hokey! How could anyone stand those effects! The whole thing was so fake!" :P

Madeleine
January 19th, 2005, 07:34 AM
I was under the impression that Baltar made up his test. Because it was Number Six who told him about the human Cylons. I thought the test was just a smoke screen to keep Adama and others from discovering the truth about him.

It was also a way for him to explain how he knew about the device in the control room.

I think the test was bogus...that there really is no way to tell human Cylons from normal humans.

Spoilers for an ep that aired in the UK about six weeks ago, can't remember what it was called When he tested Boomer, his very first subject, it told him that she was a cylon. So we know that the test does work. Six told Baltar that she probably didn't know what she was, but that if she was told she'd probably flip. At him. He told her she'd passed. Later, having tested Tigh's wife (we never saw a result either way on Mrs Tigh) Six said to Baltar "Isn't it nice how everybody passes the test nowadays" which might have meant No Cylons Discovered, or might have meant Baltar Passes Everyone Regardless.

lionel_pendergast_rocks
January 19th, 2005, 07:36 AM
yeah, I have to say that BSG was pretty awesome. out of the two eps that aired last friday, well, '33' was the best. and just why did the cylons come every thirty three minutes?

ShadowMaat
January 19th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Regarding that ep, Madeleine...
Didn't Six ask Baltar whether or not Wifey was a Cylon (or if she'd passed the test genuinely) and Baltar said he no one would ever know? Or maybe I'm remembering it wrong. Marathon ep-watching, sometimes the details get blurry. Was a hell of a lot of fun, though. :D

BeaC
January 19th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Hi everybody!

I have the following question: I have not watched the miniseries and missed the premier of BSG. Can I still follow the storyline if I start to watch this Friday?

Thanks.

GateGipsy
January 19th, 2005, 09:08 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by mini series. There was the opening 'movie' - it was shown as a movie by Sky in the UK. Then there were two mini series, shown back to back in the UK so I'm not sure where the first ends and the second begins!

Um, I think I got that right. Maybe they showed it a different way in the US.

Personally, for the full impact I'd suggest watching from the start. It is a 'wow' show with lots of on the edge of your seat moments and 'I wasn't expecting that' moments. You'll lose the impact of that if you don't watch from the start.

That said, I do know people who started watching part the way through and have enjoyed it just as much!

BeaC
January 19th, 2005, 09:21 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by mini series. There was the opening 'movie' - it was shown as a movie by Sky in the UK. Then there were two mini series, shown back to back in the UK so I'm not sure where the first ends and the second begins!

Um, I think I got that right. Maybe they showed it a different way in the US.

Personally, for the full impact I'd suggest watching from the start. It is a 'wow' show with lots of on the edge of your seat moments and 'I wasn't expecting that' moments. You'll lose the impact of that if you don't watch from the start.

That said, I do know people who started watching part the way through and have enjoyed it just as much!

Thanks for the info. Now I just have to go about finding all this. I can't believe I missed all that!

Ms. Bianca
January 19th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Well, as someone who only caught a few of the original episodes as a kid I decided to give this new BSG a try . . . after all, I am a Sci-Fi fan. :D

I was pleasantly surprised by the mini-series as well as the first two episodes. I'll definately be looking forward to Friday night's for a third reason now. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_3_16.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSzeb02822) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_3_16.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSzeb02822)

GhostPoet
January 19th, 2005, 11:47 AM
I give BSG 5 episodes before the ratings drop. It really is a horrible show...the plots are especially bad...and the acting is along the lines of a sci-fi original picture.

Actually..BSG reminds me of a sci-fi original completely. ugh...

Gee...bet you can't tell i'm really dissapointed :P

Section_One
January 19th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Wow....are you crazy? This is the best show that's ever been on the Sci-Fi Channel, other than Farscape and the original SG-1. Had you said that about Stargate Atlantis, you would have a point. Talk about a disappointing show. New shows generally go through feeling out periods, but there have only been five episodes I've liked (the ones with SG-1 and the ones with the Genii and "Home" ). I haven't seen all of Poisoning the Well, though I liked what I saw there. The rest of the episodes so far, have been horrible. The upcoming second part of the season looks like more of the same (half of the shows good to decent/half not worth watching). The Wraith also look sooo cartoonish.

Too bad SG-1 isn't on at 9pm and Atlantis on at 8, so I could watch Enterprise.....without missing one of my favorite shows. They going to still be airing SG-1 at 11pm?

GhostPoet
January 19th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Wow....are you crazy? This is the best show that's ever been on the Sci-Fi Channel, other than Farscape and the original SG-1. Had you said that about Stargate Atlantis, you would have a point. Talk about a disappointing show. New shows generally go through feeling out periods, but there have only been five episodes I've liked (the ones with SG-1 and the ones with the Genii and "Home" ). I haven't seen all of Poisoning the Well, though I liked what I saw there. The rest of the episodes so far, have been horrible. The upcoming second part of the season looks like more of the same (half of the shows good to decent/half not worth watching). The Wraith also look sooo cartoonish.

Too bad SG-1 isn't on at 9pm and Atlantis on at 8, so I could watch Enterprise.....without missing one of my favorite shows. They going to still be airing SG-1 at 11pm?

BSG the best show? It reaks of Sci-Fi Original Pictures. The acting was bad, the plot was seemingly written by a 10 year old with a sex obsession. Apparently they had to add that in since they couldn't think of anything else to add to the lack of story. It's filler.
I'm just really dissapointed...it was horrible. B-movie material at best.

ShadowMaat
January 19th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Well, I happen to like both BSG and Stargate Altantis, although I wouldn't care to say which is "better" since they bother have a different formula, a different style and a different purpose. It's also something called PERSONAL PREFERENCE which means that NO ONE is right or wrong about the quality of a show. It's an INDIVIDUAL thing. One man's crap is another man's gold.

But that's neither here nor there. Gotta say I was rather shocked by (Kobol's Last Gleaming) the President's actions. To refute Commander Adama like that to one of his best pilots... to cause her to DOUBT him like that... I know they are in desperate times, but couldn't she have found a way to get Starbuck to go without destroying her faith in Adama? That's something she may never get back. Or not easily, anyway. I just hope it works out. Part 2 looks rather grim (and misleading) from the pics on Gateworld.

Section_One
January 19th, 2005, 12:07 PM
BSG the best show? It reaks of Sci-Fi Original Pictures. The acting was bad, the plot was seemingly written by a 10 year old with a sex obsession. Apparently they had to add that in since they couldn't think of anything else to add to the lack of story. It's filler.
I'm just really dissapointed...it was horrible. B-movie material at best.

Are you talking about mini or the series? The series is definately a step up. I loved the original series (from the 70's) and I was very ticked off with the changes to Apollo and Starbuck (I thought Boomer's change was good, though I wish she wasn't a Cylon). The series is a blast and I gave the mini a second chance and watched with an open mind other than Original Series blinders on and other than the space station scene at the beginning (which served little to no purpose), I enjoyed every minute.

You have not seen very many Sci-Fi original pictures. They all are horrible (except the Dune movies)...BSG TNS looks to be a very promising series and I look forward to tuning in or taping it every week.

Still not your cup of tea? Why are you in the BSG thread? To get attention?

GhostPoet
January 19th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Are you talking about mini or the series? The series is definately a step up. I loved the original series (from the 70's) and I was very ticked off with the changes to Apollo and Starbuck (I thought Boomer's change was good, though I wish she wasn't a Cylon). The series is a blast and I gave the mini a second chance and watched with an open mind other than Original Series blinders on and other than the space station scene at the beginning (which served little to no purpose), I enjoyed every minute.

You have not seen very many Sci-Fi original pictures. They all are horrible (except the Dune movies)...BSG TNS looks to be a very promising series and I look forward to tuning in or taping it every week.

Well, the min was deffinetly horrible. The series IS a step up. But some of the stories within the central story that just ruin it for me. The guy who is always being molested by the Cylon for example...I mean, practically in every scene the guy is about ready to start moaning. It's to the point it's laughable :P The relationship between some of the fighter pilots just doesn't work and the female Starbuck..well..her acting is just BAD..she trys to put on this "tough guy" exterior and it comes off very very corny.
That's why I say it's like a sci-fi original film...all those same corny things from those films are just like the ones in BSG. But the biggest thing I think is the fact that the stories are just not there...nothing original. It's just generic sci-fi. that's the worst part.

However, the Captain guy is actually a pretty good actor. Which makes the rest look worse..so that doesn't help. I'd like the show if it wasn't for those things.

ShadowMaat
January 19th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Last time I checked, this was a BSG discussion thread, not a "BSG is the end all and be all of the scifi universe" thread, so if folks want to post constructive criticisms about the show and realistic complaints, I don't see that it's an issue. As long as everyone remains friendly.

As it is, I do love the show, but I agree with GP that there's too much sex. You can imply that people are having sex without actually SHOWING it and in my opinion, there are some cases where "show, don't tell" shouldn't apply. The bedroom (or table, or locker room or whatever) being one of those times. :P

I get that the human cylons are very sexually aware/active, but I still don't think we need to see THAT MUCH of it, ALL THE TIME. And (Kobol's Last Gleaming 1) The whole thing with Starbuck and Baltar went on too long. To say nothing of me objecting to the pairing on every level, however "love 'em and leave 'em" it may have been. Ugh. Ugh. And ugh.

DownFallAngel
January 19th, 2005, 02:42 PM
yeah, I have to say that BSG was pretty awesome. out of the two eps that aired last friday, well, '33' was the best. and just why did the cylons come every thirty three minutes?

There is no scietific reason behind it. Moore stated in his recent interview that 33 minutes was just a random number, and that it is also just enough time to crap, fuel up your viper, and get back out onto the battlefield.

Matt G
January 19th, 2005, 03:35 PM

You may have a point. Back in the B5 era, Dad and I were watching a new B5 ep(S3 I think) and Dad said 'One day this will seem as tacky as Star Trek(meaning TOS)'.

Then again Dad also reckons that the original BSG was poop and that the new series is starting to grow on him(I got a reliable legal source to fix him up a couple of DVD's of eps as he's in Romania). And he was roughly my age when the original BSG series was out!

norriski
January 19th, 2005, 11:14 PM
OK, sorry to be a pest, and if this was covered somewhere else in this thread, I'm sorry but I didn't have time to read all the pages....

But I'm confused, I've missed parts of BSG and I've been trying to fill in all the holes with all the reairs on ScFi but I'm still totally confused on Boomer...

Highlight to see (why can't I every get the spoiler tag to work?)
OK, who are what is Boomer, I'm totally confused, is she human is she cylon (am I spelling that right), is there one humen and a cylone copy? Can't figure this one out, and don't know if it's because I've missed something somewhere...and if she is cylon is she a "good" cylon, is that even possible.

I watched the orginial BSG as a little girl what 20-25 years ago, and I'm finding the new one enjoyable, but I think my "memories" are messing me up in some ways, I can't get use to the idea of Starbuck being female, and the Cylon's looking like humans, it's weird but enjoyable so far....expect for what I mentioned above, someone please clear up the Boomer thing for me, as I said there are two of them but what are they and are they both the same thing (like cylon) or is one really human?

OK I'll shut up now - Thanks to anyoen that tries to help.

Erik Pasternak
January 19th, 2005, 11:44 PM
OK. Norriski. First, the spoiler tag works like this: [*spoiler]TEXT IS HERE!![/spoiler] Just don't include that * and it'll work. Second, Boomer: She is a human form cylon. There are several different models. Each model looks different, but there is more than one of each model, so there are several cylons that look like Boomer out there.

norriski
January 20th, 2005, 12:19 AM
OK thanks for the info and I'm going to try the spoiler tag again, hopefully it works this time I guess I was confused by her not "acting" like a cylon. She seems so human, emotionally in the ep's I've seen so far, that's why I thought maybe there was a humen and a cylon one. I guess that's going to make it interesting isn't it.

OK did that finally work....

edited to say...yes finally it works (I guess I always used the wrong slash so it wouldn't work)...THANKS

Manic
January 20th, 2005, 12:20 AM
To add to what Rocket said...
As far as I can see, there is no human Boomer. The one aboard the Galactica is sleeper agent who doesn't know she's a Cylon. Apparently, she blacks out, does the dirty work in her sleep, and wakes up not knowing what happened. The one on the old planet with Helo is also a Cylon. I'm just guessing, but the Boomer with Helo most likely the same mission that Six has with Baltar.

norriski
January 20th, 2005, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the additional info, I'm starting to understand a little better....
I sort'a hate that, that is the direction TPTB decided to go with the character, makes it hard to "like" the character knowing that...

IMForeman
January 20th, 2005, 01:05 AM
I don't know. I think that Boomer may have some interesting character possibilities. She clearly has her Colonial personality separate from her Cylon programming, and maybe the Colonial part of her can become strong enough to fight the Cylon side, if she's given a chance. She may become the Teal'c of the show if she can somehow control who she chooses to be.

-IMF
"It's bad to kill. Guns kill. And you don't have to be a gun. You are what you choose to be. You choose. Choose. "--Hogarth.

Ms. Bianca
January 20th, 2005, 07:00 AM
It's interesting enough to keep me coming back (so far). I'm definately curious to see what they're going to do with Boomer . . . the one aboard the ship is obviously one of those Sleeper Agents that does Cylon work during the "Black Outs" she's been having.

I'm also thinking that the one on the planet with Helo is another Cylon . . . and that there never was a real Boomer . . . they're all Cylons?

Oh, and Apollo . . . still don't like him.

Baltar is getting on my nerves . . . I want someone to see him talk to the air/Six and then bust him or something.

Blue Banrigh
January 20th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Oh, and Apollo . . . still don't like him.

He gets better with each episode, 'Bastille Day' (103) is a really good showcase for his character, as was the 'Hand of God' (110). Bastille Day he is less insecure and more decisive. You get to see what he believes in, and his sense of right and wrong.

But then again, I find him rather attractive and am glued to the screen whenever he is on. :D

Ms. Bianca
January 20th, 2005, 07:24 AM
He gets better with each episode, 'Bastille Day' (103) is a really good showcase for his character, as was the 'Hand of God' (110). Bastille Day he is less insecure and more decisive. You get to see what he believes in, and his sense of right and wrong.

But then again, I find him rather attractive and am glued to the screen whenever he is on. :D
I hope you're right . . . but his "looks" have nothing to do with me not liking him. He's attractive . . . just appears to be a kind of "My brother's dead because of my father so I mope" thing. Ya know?

So, yeah . . . if it can get past that . . . and the character improves and we get more background . . . I might be able to come out of my "Apollo's a wussy" feeling. :eek: :D

ShadowMaat
January 20th, 2005, 07:33 AM
I thought it was obvious there was never a "real" Boomer? :confused: Are ANY of the human cylons "real" somewhere? Hmm.... If so, I doubt we've met them.

Apollo is too uptight and broody for my tastes. He seems to have a grudge against the world and takes it out on everyone. I'll stick with Helo. And, occasionally, Tyrol. :D

Damn, that Grace Park is a lucky, lucky girl. *sigh*

Ms. Bianca
January 20th, 2005, 07:38 AM
I thought it was obvious there was never a "real" Boomer? :confused: Are ANY of the human cylons "real" somewhere? Hmm.... If so, I doubt we've met them.
That's what I must've missed from the mini-series . . . if it was even brought up at all. :confused:

All I know is . . . it kept missing the part near the very end of the mini-series and then you see "Boomer" walk up and it comes out that she's a Cylon. I keep missing the part just before that where the other Human-Cylon's are talking and she walks in.

Blue Banrigh
January 20th, 2005, 07:44 AM
I hope you're right . . . but his "looks" have nothing to do with me not liking him. He's attractive . . . just appears to be a kind of "My brother's dead because of my father so I mope" thing. Ya know?

So, yeah . . . if it can get past that . . . and the character improves and we get more background . . . I might be able to come out of my "Apollo's a wussy" feeling. :eek: :D

Oh yeah, they definately get past the 'you're the reason why my brother is dead' thing. I think he is a little bit more insecure when his father is around, but once he is away from Adama's shadow he becomes more confident.

And yes, I've watched BSG far to many times and over-analyzed all of Lee Adama's scenes. :D

Has anybody else read Ron Moore's Blog (http://blog.scifi.com/battlestar)? Or watched the Behind the Scenes Interviews (http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/bts/video)?

I like that he is making an effort to explain his decisions to the audience/fans. Plus the almost promise of doing a Pegasus storyline, it's good that he's taking time to think it over.

Section_One
January 20th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Well......all I have to say is there better be a "Real" Boomer out there somewhere.....and the Pegasus....or any other Battlestars (or other military vessels) (Colonial or eventual allies), better not get blown out of the sky shortly after making their appearance.

I'm thinking that the human looking Cylons had to initially be humans that were captured, tortured and then replicated to serve as infiltration agents for the Cylons....I guess we'll see.

If that's the case, perhaps they are still alive somewhere and there can be a rescue mission (but not like the S:AAB rescue mission, where it turns out the gf has been killed and it's a Chig infiltrator).

ShadowMaat
January 20th, 2005, 12:31 PM
If that's the case, perhaps they are still alive somewhere and there can be a rescue mission (but not like the S:AAB rescue mission, where it turns out the gf has been killed and it's a Chig infiltrator).
Ummm... Kylen wasn't killed. She pops up, fully human and very alive in the finale. ;)

Section_One
January 20th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Ummm... Kylen wasn't killed. She pops up, fully human and very alive in the finale. ;)

I remember the Chig infiltrator that was impersonating Kylen.....at the prison camp they were liberating....

For the finale.....all I remember is the 58th, with the exception of Kylen's boyfriend (forget his name) and one other being completely wiped out..... :(

chodu82
January 20th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Guys this is for you to understand battlestar galactica up to episode 13.

enjoy.
Apollo's arrow is in a museum on caprica. It isn't really an arrow. It's actually a key. The key will open the goddess Athena's tomb. Athena's tomb is on Kobol.

The people of Kobol made things very decorative objects often had more meaning than first glance. Although many things in the new series have changed the basic histories and principles have stayed the same. So if you read up on;

The History of Kobol and the Exodus of The Thirteen Tribes of Man.

You'll have a far deeper understanding and appreciation of the show.

Example. The gods on Kobol were the same as the ancient roman/greek gods. and by that, I mean they ARE the ancient roman/greek gods. But not in the sense that they were totally immortal and could see into the future and past and all that stuff. They were basically super-humans. Information on them is in the history. It's a great read.

Actually the best way to describe it is, If you watch stargate, the gods of Kobol are comparable to the Ancients.

The Prophecy states that everything they are doing right now has happened before. Different group of people, same story. Repeating over and over. The prophecy is basically that Kobol would fall to ruin and the 13 tribes of man would flee the doomed world (There was an ecological distaster and it became uninhabitable.) and form 13 colonies. 12 colonies moved not too far from kobol. but because it was technology that caused the disaster on kobol. they destroyed the majority of it and must of what they were became lost. History became legend, legend became myth.

Before the tribes left kobol a scout ship sent out by one of the gods actually found earth. But at the time that particular god did not want to face the reality that the planet was dying, he knew there would be an uprising if he wasn't discreet about it so he actually had the crew of the scoutship killed so no one would find out about it. But the 13th Tribe DID find out about it. And they left a few years before the rest of the tribes did. For a while they maintained contact on their journey to earth. Then one day they stopped talking.

Theres also a very interesting factor that I hope makes it into the show if they ever do show earth in the new series. The people of the thirteenth tribe did NOT destroy any of their technology. They kept it all. So if they keep with that, Earth is going to be far far far far more advanced that the galactica fleet and they could easily make playthings of the cylons.

anyways read up on the history of kobol. I told you interesting parts of it here but theres so much more. I hope this answers your question, and many more. Good day.

DownFallAngel
January 20th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Guys this is for you to understand battlestar galactica up to episode 13.

enjoy.
Apollo's arrow is in a museum on caprica. It isn't really an arrow. It's actually a key. The key will open the goddess Athena's tomb. Athena's tomb is on Kobol.

The people of Kobol made things very decorative objects often had more meaning than first glance. Although many things in the new series have changed the basic histories and principles have stayed the same. So if you read up on;

Example. The gods on Kobol were the same as the ancient roman/greek gods. and by that, I mean they ARE the ancient roman/greek gods. But not in the sense that they were totally immortal and could see into the future and past and all that stuff. They were basically super-humans. Information on them is in the history. It's a great read.

Actually the best way to describe it is, If you watch stargate, the gods of Kobol are comparable to the Ancients.

The Prophecy states that everything they are doing right now has happened before. Different group of people, same story. Repeating over and over. The prophecy is basically that Kobol would fall to ruin and the 13 tribes of man would flee the doomed world (There was an ecological distaster and it became uninhabitable.) and form 13 colonies. 12 colonies moved not too far from kobol. but because it was technology that caused the disaster on kobol. they destroyed the majority of it and must of what they were became lost. History became legend, legend became myth.

Before the tribes left kobol a scout ship sent out by one of the gods actually found earth. But at the time that particular god did not want to face the reality that the planet was dying, he knew there would be an uprising if he wasn't discreet about it so he actually had the crew of the scoutship killed so no one would find out about it. But the 13th Tribe DID find out about it. And they left a few years before the rest of the tribes did. For a while they maintained contact on their journey to earth. Then one day they stopped talking.

Theres also a very interesting factor that I hope makes it into the show if they ever do show earth in the new series. The people of the thirteenth tribe did NOT destroy any of their technology. They kept it all. So if they keep with that, Earth is going to be far far far far more advanced that the galactica fleet and they could easily make playthings of the cylons.

anyways read up on the history of kobol. I told you interesting parts of it here but theres so much more. I hope this answers your question, and many more. Good day.

Two things.

1. Where did you get this information?

2. Please enclose your entire post in spoiler tags. [spoiler] and [/*spoiler] minus the *. That entire post, which was very interesting, is a total spoiler of what is to come on BSG's Kobol's Last Gleaming I and II, not to mention the overall story arc of the show.

-Maybe a MOD could enclose it in spoiler tags, if the poster does not return.

IMForeman
January 20th, 2005, 02:43 PM

Well of course, they have Prometheus after all... ;)

-IMF

BruTak
January 21st, 2005, 04:50 AM
Someone may have suggested this before, but - Dirk Benedict to play new Starbuck's father, anyone?
Or even (may the PTB forgive me) Amanda Tapping playing her mother?

Shipperahoy
January 21st, 2005, 11:27 AM
I like Dirk Benedict as her father but from what I understand of their ages AT would have had to have been a teenage mother in order to be Starbuck's mom if it's even possible at all. I realize that ages can be fudged on t.v. but I don't think AT would like to be made older than she is. Women generally don't. ;)

ShadowMaat
January 21st, 2005, 11:30 AM
If JR Bourne can play an 87 year old pop rocker, anything is possible. ;)

Erik Pasternak
January 21st, 2005, 09:19 PM
I like Dirk Benedict as her father but from what I understand of their ages AT would have had to have been a teenage mother in order to be Starbuck's mom if it's even possible at all. I realize that ages can be fudged on t.v. but I don't think AT would like to be made older than she is. Women generally don't. ;)
Besides, she doesn't even look as old as she actually is.

Blue Banrigh
January 22nd, 2005, 08:16 AM
If JR Bourne can play an 87 year old pop rocker, anything is possible. ;)

WHAT?

But back on topic, I just watched the first part of Kobol's Last Gleaming, damn now come monday I have to avoid this thread. I know I'll be too tempted to highlight all the spoilers. I wanna know what happens! At least they didn't have the lines, 'to be continued...'

Did I miss something?

Those three cylon transponders that Gaeta was testing out, did they show finding the second and third pieces? I know they come from Shelly and Leoben, but I don't recall them finding the actual things. Did it happen offscreen? Or was I concentrating too much on Apollo and Helo?

I think having DB play Starbuck's father would be a bit of a cliche (is it okay to use that word in this context, prehaps gimmick would be a better word). If they do cast him as something, I'd like to see him play something other than a 'rogue with the heart of gold'.

keshou
January 22nd, 2005, 08:29 AM
So "Bastille Day" aired last night in the US. I'm trying not to read this thread as I know the UK is way ahead of us and I'm trying desperately to stay unspoiled. I think that's one reason I'm enjoying the series so much - I know absolutely nothing.

Another interesting episode. I never really watched the original series but I thought Richard Hatch did a good job in the role of the terrorist.

I was also pleased to see them give Apollo a little more depth and a little more strength (character-wise). He has really been my least favorite character so far. Improved some last night although I think Apollo is still a little on the naive side. And I just don't think he's that cute - doesn't do it for me anyway. :rolleyes:

I'm really enjoying Starbuck and old Tigh's little confrontations. They hate each other and then turn around and sort of admire each other. Just when you think they might form a truce one or the other just can't resist getting a dig in. It's a really interesting dynamic they've got going. :)

Also love the continuity we're seeing with the follow-up on last week's episode. And the way they're addressing the issues - from basics like food and water to meta issues like government by the people vs. the military side needed to fight the Cylons.

I just really LOVE that this series seems so dark and gritty and the characterizations are so rich. Many of the characters are very flawed and yet you root for them anyway. It's an interesting contrast to watch this show as it follows both of the Stargates. Very different feel.

Blue Banrigh
January 22nd, 2005, 08:43 AM
I particularly liked it when Dualla called Billy on how she got her assignment. She's just so adorable. "Chance to go out, meet new people." :D

Can we stop using spoiler tags for the episodes the US have seen?

keshou
January 22nd, 2005, 08:57 AM
I particularly liked it when Dualla called Billy on how she got her assignment. She's just so adorable. "Chance to go out, meet new people." :D

Can we stop using spoiler tags for the episodes the US have seen?
Eek. I was thinking we could once they've aired in the US but I'm not positive. I'll go back and put them in my post to be on the safe side. Thanks for the reminder.

Yes that was a great line by Dualla. Potentially a cute couple there. I also thought Callie showed what she's made of in this episode. It's so gratifying to see them taking these secondary characters and fleshing them out. Ron Moore wanted to make a character-driven series and so far he's succeeding.

ShadowMaat
January 22nd, 2005, 08:58 AM
I think that was a STOP using spoiler tags thing. ;)

Didn't care overmuch for the ep. There was some good stuff, of course, but it just didn't do it for me, ya know. ;)

keshou
January 22nd, 2005, 09:13 AM

Didn't care overmuch for the ep. There was some good stuff, of course, but it just didn't do it for me, ya know. ;)
Oh well, put them in anyway. Trying to stay out of trouble. ;)

The episode didn't hold my attention the way "33" and "Water" did, but it was still interesting - mainly for the character development for Apollo and some of the secondary players.

Better than "Gemini", not as good as "The Eye" to rank it within Scifi's Friday night lineup. :)

Blue Banrigh
January 22nd, 2005, 09:35 AM

At what point does a spoiler stop being a spoiler?... How long is a piece of thread?

To be absolutely shallow (as in puddle deep, in fact, shallower than a puddle, I'll stun you with my shallowness shallow) but the one thing that annoys me about Richard Hatch is his blinking. Stupid I know, but I can't figure out if it's an involuntary twitch or if he's doing it deiberately. And it really bugs me. Did anybody else notice?

Section_One
January 22nd, 2005, 11:54 AM
In my opinion, the episodes keep getting better. There is one problem though.....if you watch SG-1 and Atlantis before it.......BSG is too good.

I still love SG-1, though last nights episode was disappointing as was one of the better episodes of Atlantis....(don't care much for the show, Good CGI doesn't make up for cheesy dialogue or McKay).....

Liked seeing Richard Hatch and hope to see much more of his character.....now if we can only get Dirk Benedict and Athena on.....that'll be great

BSG and Enterprise were the best shows on last night by a long shot.

Vapor
January 22nd, 2005, 12:15 PM

Well, if Tapping was brought on as Starbuck's mom, then that would sort of be in keeping with the tone of BSG so far (the 3 eps I've seen at least). Having Starbuck's mom be only a few years older than her would undoubtedly have some kind of story to build on there. It sounds like a fantastic idea.

Though I don't know how open the producers would be about bringing someone so recognizeable on. From all the interviews and things I've seen/read, it doesn't seem like a move they would want to make with BSG.

Good idea though. That'd be awesome.

DownFallAngel
January 22nd, 2005, 12:17 PM
If it was her step mom, then that would be even better!

IMForeman
January 22nd, 2005, 01:16 PM
The only way I can see Amanda Tapping playing Starbuck's mom would be in flashbacks to when Starbuck was a little girl. Amanda's way too young to be her mother at Starbuck's current age, and let's face it... what are the odds that Starbuck's mom is one of the les than 50,000 people left alive?

-IMF

Eken95
January 22nd, 2005, 04:40 PM
Do you want me to say what I think about shippers? Cause I can get nasty. But I'll refrain.

And we are such a nice bunch of people! It's very refreshing to see ship happening all over the place in BSG and see it enhance the story line.

On another note so nice to be at GW and see all sorts of discussions happening as opposed to some of the BSG forums which seem to be 99% men talking about either how hot the women are or how big the guns are. While I'm sure they might be fascinating topics for some people it can make for a rather exclusive discussion! But I suppose in view of the target demographic seeming to be men 14-19 men 19-26 men of any age warm and breathing they seem to be hitting the spot! It seems kind of weird to me when the show is one of the most character driven shows I've seen and the whole guns and things that go boom seem of secondary importance, so I'm surprised to se so much discussion on other forums around that.

Erika

Eken95
January 22nd, 2005, 04:45 PM

I am really glad I got over my anger about the "re-imagining" and gave this show a shot because it is without a doubt one of the best things I've seen in years.

I totally agree Shadow. I haven't been this excited about a new show for ages. Fingers crossed for s second series, but the ratings so far look good. I also agree about Helo, very yummy. I also love Lee Adama too, well done to the people who cast them. Oh look I've gone and talked out the hotness of the actors when I was just going on about the men on another forum going on about the hot women<g> Seems like they got the casting right all round

Erika

meimei
January 22nd, 2005, 04:50 PM
I'm quite upset with myself. I totally blame it on the bronchitis meds but I slept through most of BSG last night... I tried so hard to stay awake and only managed to see the last 15 minutes in a coherent state... Have to see if SciFi is rerunning it soon... Blasted cough medicine... Two swigs and guaranteed unconsciousness...

Eken95
January 22nd, 2005, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the additional info, I'm starting to understand a little better....
I sort'a hate that, that is the direction TPTB decided to go with the character, makes it hard to "like" the character knowing that...

I love her character. (Boomer)I love that she has this surprising vulnerability about her, that she is so conflicted. I love that she is so human. I love that she makes me think and re evaluate stereotypical thinking <g>

ERika

DownFallAngel
January 22nd, 2005, 04:59 PM
I'm quite upset with myself. I totally blame it on the bronchitis meds but I slept through most of BSG last night... I tried so hard to stay awake and only managed to see the last 15 minutes in a coherent state... Have to see if SciFi is rerunning it soon... Blasted cough medicine... Two swigs and guaranteed unconsciousness...

Don't feel bad, I missed it also. Maybe they will show it at 7pm on Sunday like they did with 33 and Water.....just to kill ST:E some more.

Liebestraume
January 22nd, 2005, 05:17 PM
I skimmed past many posts in thread, desperately trying to stay unspoiled. Because I think this series will be worth it. I haven't been this excited about a SciFi show since TNG many years ago. And I was only a little kid back then so what did I know?

Right now it is the brightest spot on Friday night, surpassing SG-1, SGA, and ENT. Battalestar Galactica is not afraid to ask the hard questions but always present both sides of a tough issue. Its characters are rich and constantly evolving. And, most importantly, it expects the audience to think. Definitely a keeper! :)

sk8r^Ry
January 22nd, 2005, 06:45 PM
i got a few questions for anyone who might know some background.

there are supposta be 12 colonies and caprica is the capital or something. is saggitaria like some kinda prison camp? last night they said saggiarians were treated like crap or something. does anyone know why?

also how are the 12 colonies connected to earth? how do we fit in and are we supposta be related to them cuz their tech and culture seems a lil bit like earths sorta. does anyone know how they are connected to us or how they know about earth or whatever.

sorry if my questions are dumb but this show is cool and i really like it so i wanta know more about the background.

also are the humanoid cylons organic or robotic or something? do they have super strength? are they like human replicators? what kinda doctor is dr baltar?

lionel_pendergast_rocks
January 22nd, 2005, 07:23 PM
ok, weird question...in last nights episode, it looked like the 'swat teams' or whatever were using decked out p90s to make you think they were some cool alien gun. is this correct?

ok, and heres my other weird question: we know that the people of the 12 colonies are originaly from earth, how far in the future is this? and did humans go through some kind of tech. regression? because they're still using machine gun-like weapons, and only have primitive hyperspace travel. does anyone here know any of this?

DownFallAngel
January 22nd, 2005, 07:23 PM
Legend tells us that in the early days of Kobol, there were 13 colonies. 12 settled near Kobol, and kept close contact with one another, and one became distant. It settled on a distant star, and called itself Earth.

That's straigh out of the miniseries. We all came from a planet known as Kobol.

As of this moment, we do not know if the Cylons have any hieghtened abilities, other than mental. I don't think they do. If they did, then the Cylon that was with Adama at Ragnar, would have killed him early on.

As for your Caprica question, I don't know. Maybe someone else does.

Dr. Baltar is a doctor, a Ph. D. He probably majored in physics or something like that. SOme mathmatical science. I doubt it was biology.

lionel_pendergast_rocks
January 22nd, 2005, 07:27 PM
Legend tells us that in the early days of Kobol, there were 13 colonies. 12 settled near Kobol, and kept close contact with one another, and one became distant. It settled on a distant star, and called itself Earth.

ok, i see. i know you werent answering my question, but i was under the impression that all the humans came from earth, and then spread out. thaks for clearing that up. so maybe if we ever reach earth, there will actually be other humans. cool.

DownFallAngel
January 22nd, 2005, 07:32 PM
ok, i see. i know you werent answering my question, but i was under the impression that all the humans came from earth, and then spread out. thaks for clearing that up. so maybe if we ever reach earth, there will actually be other humans. cool.

That was to skater. You posted a question while I was ansering his one second I will check your out and report back. Give me a minute. :D

IMForeman
January 22nd, 2005, 07:34 PM

Ah, but we know that's all an Optrican fallacy, right. ;)

-IMF

DownFallAngel
January 22nd, 2005, 07:38 PM
ok, and heres my other weird question: we know that the people of the 12 colonies are originaly from earth, how far in the future is this? and did humans go through some kind of tech. regression? because they're still using machine gun-like weapons, and only have primitive hyperspace travel. does anyone here know any of this?

Can't answer your P90 question because I didn't see the episode.

As for you entire post.....the humans are NOT from Earth. They are all from a planet called Kobol. Long ago, centuries upon centuries ago, something on Kobol happened. Possibly a disease or a natural disaster forced the humans to move off Kobol and to seek out a new habitable world. There were 13 search parties. Each found a planet. 12 chose to stay near each other, and the 13th moved far away to a distant star known as Earth. Flash foward 20,000 years. Mankind forgot about Kobol, except through religion. Their faith tells them that a 13th colony exsists, and that they should seek it out.

The humans onboard Galactica kept the ship low tech. Not one single computer is networked. There are no wireless phones. Everything is downgraded inorder to avert being cybernetically destroyed by the Cylons. Had the ship been up to par with the Atlantia(the most advanded Battlestar built to date), the Cylons would have destroyed the Galactica in the first part of the miniseries. They have limited FTL jumps because of the limited resources they have on their ship. They also have railguns on their ship, not machine guns. Those are railguns. They have an optional bullet that launches high velocity shratenal.

ShadowMaat
January 22nd, 2005, 07:42 PM
If history is repeating itself, I wonder if the lords of Kobol didn't create artificial life which rebelled and decimated the planet, forcing them into the 13 colonies (and hey, 13 colonies... where have I heard THAT story before?? :P).

Even MORE interesting is if whatever it is that decimated Kobol is the "god" of the Cylons.

Lexx
January 22nd, 2005, 07:58 PM
As far as history repeating itself, I think it'd be cool if it turns out the Lords of Kobol were another race entirely who engineered and created the human race. Eventually the human race rebelled and killed the Lords, then because of the conflict Kobol was no longer inhabitable and they left to form the Colonies.

Liebestraume
January 22nd, 2005, 08:17 PM
there are supposta be 12 colonies and caprica is the capital or something. is saggitaria like some kinda prison camp? last night they said saggiarians were treated like crap or something. does anyone know why?
I don't know why but have a few guesses.

That Sagittarians were "oppressed" was only one side of the debate. Duala (i.e., the girl at com) is apparent from Sagittarius, and she seemed to disagree with that claim.

It also appears the Colonial government only had a few decades of history. Prior to that, the Colonies might have not lived in perfect harmony. Perhaps some colonists didn't like the way their home planet was "unionized."

Another possibility is that some colonies mght be more advanced than the others. So, after the union, the less advanced would have to barter natural resources or manual labor for technology or whatever the advanced planets had to offer. Sagittarius might have fallen into the latter category, and some might have perceived this as a form of exploitation.

VirtualCLD
January 22nd, 2005, 08:40 PM
They also have railguns on their ship, not machine guns. Those are railguns. They have an optional bullet that launches high velocity shratenal.

I have a question, are these Sci-Fi railguns different than RL railguns? In your post, it made it sound like they don't always fire bullets.

In RL, a railgun is just a gun that magnetically propels a projectile (aka bullet) achieving very high speeds (supposedly faster than the conventional combustion method). However, the energy requirements make the weapon uneconomical, but there are experimental versions in existance. (With strange looking projectiles too, but theycan penetrate some pretty tough armour and do a heck of a lot of damage). So far, with the large energy requirements and the fact nearly the same effect can be achieved with combustion propelled projectiles, there's obviously no rush to go mass-producing railguns.

In space, the magnetic propulsion would seem ideal compared to compustion since you won't have to wasted oxygen to feed the combustion reaction of large shell projectiles.

Blue Banrigh
January 22nd, 2005, 09:20 PM
As far as history repeating itself, I think it'd be cool if it turns out the Lords of Kobol were another race entirely who engineered and created the human race. Eventually the human race rebelled and killed the Lords, then because of the conflict Kobol was no longer inhabitable and they left to form the Colonies.

If it all happened before, wouldn't that mean that humanity's fate is sealed? Actually with this series it wouldn't suprise me if they did end it like that.

alaskannut
January 22nd, 2005, 10:23 PM
ISo far, with the large energy requirements and the fact nearly the same effect can be achieved with combustion propelled projectiles, there's obviously no rush to go mass-producing railguns.

In space, the magnetic propulsion would seem ideal compared to compustion since you won't have to wasted oxygen to feed the combustion reaction of large shell projectiles.

The US Navy is actually developing a railgun to deploy on the DDX class multimission destroyer in the 2015-2020 time frame....they can launch projectiles to speeds many times that of a conventional gun (mach 7+) to ranges of hundreds of miles (700+) with an inert shell weighing maybe a few tens of pounds having the same destructive effect as a 2000 lb high explosive bomb, with great cost-savings and much greater safety for handlers.
The army is working to field a railgun on the FCS platform in the same time frame for the same reason

Also, Propellants that are currently used contain their own oxidants(something- tetroxide as I recall)....no external oxygen is needed...a rifle would fire just as well in space as on earth, and actually with better accuracy since theres no wind/air resisitance and minimal gravity.

Dimeron
January 22nd, 2005, 11:57 PM
I'm surprised that no one has yet commented on the whole religious underton of the show (considering basically every second episode dealt with religion one way or another)

Also, anyone has any theories what the cylons are up to exactly? After watching all 12 eps, I think it is safe to say that they are obviously not interested in killing off the remaining humans. (not yet anyways), and seems to be obsessed with two human emotions, love and faith (of higher power), as indicated by cylon Boomer and number 6)

Blue Banrigh
January 23rd, 2005, 12:57 AM
Prehaps it is a form of Noah's Ark. They are concerned with rebirthing the human race away from their corruption etc. This exodus is simply a way of reforging them, to burn away the dreck.

I wonder why Leoben Conoy isn't involved with the rat maze on Caprica.

chodu82
January 23rd, 2005, 04:23 AM
13 colonies didnt originate from eart they did from kobol
here read this, it will give you a better understanding, ive posted it before.

VirtualCLD
January 23rd, 2005, 06:20 AM
The US Navy is actually developing a railgun to deploy on the DDX class multimission destroyer in the 2015-2020 time frame....they can launch projectiles to speeds many times that of a conventional gun (mach 7+) to ranges of hundreds of miles (700+) with an inert shell weighing maybe a few tens of pounds having the same destructive effect as a 2000 lb high explosive bomb, with great cost-savings and much greater safety for handlers.
The army is working to field a railgun on the FCS platform in the same time frame for the same reason.

You are right of course, but I won't be holding my breath, (especially since waiting for 2015-2020 would be a long time to hold breath ;) ). However, they have been saying that from at least the 80's (maybe even the 70's, but I'm not sure of that) and every decade they say, "10 more years." Therefore, I'm not too optimistic and I won't be surprised if it's pushed back again, or scrapped all together. I believe there are some modern day platforms that were supposd to have rail guns, but again, I don't remember/I'm not srue.

In any case, I didn't know about the modern propollants, but again, a railgun seems to have a better reuseable source of propulsion in space, than combustion propellant guns.

DownFallAngel
January 23rd, 2005, 07:39 AM
I have a question, are these Sci-Fi railguns different than RL railguns? In your post, it made it sound like they don't always fire bullets.

Excuse me. That is an error on my part. The Galactica has many railgun turrets, and WARHEAD turrets. It wasn't supposed to be with the optional bullet. It was supopsed to say 'or warheads'. Thanks for catchying that mistake.

+Rep for VLCD

Also, chodu82, I still want to know where you got that information. It is a very convincing theory.

VirtualCLD
January 23rd, 2005, 07:46 AM
Excuse me. That is an error on my part. The Galactica has many railgun turrets, and WARHEAD turrets. It wasn't supposed to be with the optional bullet. It was supopsed to say 'or warheads'. Thanks for catchying that mistake.

Ah, I understand now! Thanks for clearing that up.

keshou
January 23rd, 2005, 10:18 AM
I'm surprised that no one has yet commented on the whole religious underton of the show (considering basically every second episode dealt with religion one way or another)

I LIKE the inclusion of the religious undertone. Many scifi series either pretend religion isn't going to exist in the future or throw in a few sentences to acknowledge its existence but never really deal with it as a part of futuristic societies. BSG is acknowledging religion as a part of the humans' culture and also dealing with its affect on their enemy.

The Cylons seem to be a fascinating combination of ruthless technology blended with oddly spiritual beliefs. I find them a very intriguing (and scary) villain.

I read about the parallels between themes in the original BSG series and the Mormon church (supposedly because the creator of the original series, Glen Larson was a Mormon) when I first watched the miniseries.

I don't know that Ron Moore is following in Glen Larson's footsteps - I expect him to put his own spin on things - but the new series certainly seems to be picking up some of the mythology of the old series.

There's quite a bit on the internet about the Mormon/Galactica connections if you google it- here's a couple of links to articles. It may all be a load of bunk but a thought it was interesting reading.

http://www.michaellorenzen.com/galactica.html

http://www.proaxis.com/~sherlockfam/art5.html

An excerpt from the first link....

There are many parallels between the story of Battlestar Galactica and Mormon teachings. The Book of Mormon tells the story of how the Prophet Lehi took the remnant of the Tribe of Joseph to ancient America around the year 600 BC. In Battlestar Galactica, mankind founded twelve different colonies. In addition, mankind also founded a thirteenth colony on Earth that was lost from the other twelve. In the same way that The Book of Mormon has a Tribe of Israel lost on another continent beyond the knowledge of the other tribes, Battlestar Galactica has a lost colony of man separate from the main body of humanity. The lost Tribe of Israel is central to The Book of Mormon in the same way that the lost colony of Earth is central to Battlestar Galactica.

In the Battlestar Galactica episode originally aired on the 24th of September and 1st of October 1978 titled "Lost Planet of the Gods", the home world of all humanity is revealed to be the planet Kobol. This name is strikingly similar to the star Kolob which is discussed in Mormon theology. In The Pearl of Great Price, The Book of Abraham Chapter Three, Kolob is described as the star "nearest onto the Throne of God." Interestingly, the ship on which armistice talks between the colonies and the Cylons took place was the "Star Kobol" as revealed in the premier episode which aired on 17th September 1978.

Another similarity between Mormonism and Battlestar Galactica is in the political structure of the ruling bodies of each. The Mormon Church is run by a Quorum of the Twelve which is headed by a president. In Battlestar Galactica, the colonies are ruled by a Council of Twelve which is also headed by a president

keshou
January 23rd, 2005, 11:27 AM
On another note so nice to be at GW and see all sorts of discussions happening as opposed to some of the BSG forums which seem to be 99% men talking about either how hot the women are or how big the guns are. While I'm sure they might be fascinating topics for some people it can make for a rather exclusive discussion! But I suppose in view of the target demographic seeming to be men 14-19 men 19-26 men of any age warm and breathing they seem to be hitting the spot! It seems kind of weird to me when the show is one of the most character driven shows I've seen and the whole guns and things that go boom seem of secondary importance, so I'm surprised to se so much discussion on other forums around that.
Glad I've missed those forums! I like action and special effects as well as the next gal but my eyes glaze over when they that's all they talk about. Ron Moore has really created a character-driven show (much like "Lost"), and I find all the dynamics very intriguing.

I've been lurking at a general scifi board...
www.exisle.net

Some interesting discussions on BSG -the story arc, the episodes and the characters as well.

Oh, and they discuss Stargate on occasion too. ;)

I haven't been this excited about a scifi show in ages - it feels really good! :D

JediTrilobite
January 23rd, 2005, 11:46 AM
Loved episode 103. This show is just outstanding.

Eken95
January 24th, 2005, 12:11 AM
Glad I've missed those forums! I like action and special effects as well as the next gal but my eyes glaze over when they that's all they talk about. Ron Moore has really created a character-driven show (much like "Lost"), and I find all the dynamics very intriguing.

I've been lurking at a general scifi board...
www.exisle.net

Some interesting discussions on BSG -the story arc, the episodes and the characters as well.

Oh, and they discuss Stargate on occasion too. ;)

I haven't been this excited about a scifi show in ages - it feels really good! :D

I know what you mean, a friend and I were having the same conversation last night. That it's great to be in at the start of something so good. We loved it but were worried that the US audience wouldn't feel the same way, so glad to see that they do.

I found this site which is really good with a wide ranging disussion board
http://ragnaranchorage.proboards25.com/index.cgi

Erika

JediTrilobite
January 24th, 2005, 09:42 AM
It's nice to see actual discussion on episodes. Some boards that I've been to just have people saying how horrible the new series is. It's pretty annoying.

sk8r^Ry
January 24th, 2005, 05:28 PM
13 colonies didnt originate from eart they did from kobol
here read this, it will give you a better understanding, ive posted it before.

Earth was NOT supposed to be more advanced, but way more primitive.

DownFallAngel
January 24th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Earth was NOT supposed to be more advanced, but way more primitive.

That was the 1980's version of Earth. Most 'true fans' disgard the 1980's version, other than the episode 'Return of Starbuck'.

Madeleine
January 24th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Wow, the last ep of this first series was super! Roll on the second. I know that Adama will live, I mean they wouldn't get rid of him, but still, I want to know what happens. And what will happen with Starbuck and Helo? Yet again the acting was really good, especially Katee Whatshername. I've been continually surprised by the quality of this programme; it always feels like a heck of a lot of polishing has been done.

Blue Banrigh
January 25th, 2005, 03:44 AM
Was it a cliffhanger ending? Am I going to be sitting at the edge of my seat going 'Oh My God, I can't believe they just did that, and am I going to have to wait an entire year before i see the conclusion?' (all in one breathe too)

Katee Sackhoff is the name you are looking for.

GateGipsy
January 25th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Do you really want to know what kind of ending this is? Isn't even knowing a spoiler - because you'll be expecting either the expected or the unexpected! If you must really know then highlight the following to read it yes it does end in a cliffhanger

sk8r^Ry
January 25th, 2005, 02:38 PM
That was the 1980's version of Earth. Most 'true fans' disgard the 1980's version, other than the episode 'Return of Starbuck'.
so in the Sci-fi chan series, Earth is gonna be more advanced? Is that what ur sayin??

How come u have monkeys pointing to xindi in your sig? where'd u get the monkeys?

sk8r^Ry
January 25th, 2005, 02:41 PM
maybe the Lords of kobalt are Goauld and maybe thats why they left the planet or something? maybe theres a link to stargate or something. it would be cool. I know it wont happen but woudlnt it be cool?

VirtualCLD
January 25th, 2005, 02:49 PM
How come u have monkeys pointing to xindi in your sig? where'd u get the monkeys?

It's the angry/crazy monkey that lives in Chris's closet. (or was it his room?)

sk8r^Ry
January 25th, 2005, 02:57 PM
It's the angry/crazy monkey that lives in Chris's closet. (or was it his room?)
they kinda freak me out. plus why all the xindi stuff? sometimes i read ppl's sigs and i get confused. i guess i'm an idiot or something.

VirtualCLD
January 25th, 2005, 04:06 PM
they kinda freak me out. plus why all the xindi stuff? sometimes i read ppl's sigs and i get confused. i guess i'm an idiot or something.

I believe DFA is expressing his "distaste" for the Xindi story arc from Season 3 of Star Trek Enterprise.

Dahak
January 25th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Earth should definitely not be more advanced. That would be terribly cheesy and lazy writing. If (and Earth should not be found until the series finnaly anyway) they find Earth we should be at the level we are now. Is the past would just be too complicated to write for and the future would be too convenient.

DownFallAngel
January 25th, 2005, 05:02 PM
I believe DFA is expressing his "distaste" for the Xindi story arc from Season 3 of Star Trek Enterprise.

1. I don't know if Earth will be advanced or not. I am hoping that Earth does not exsist at all. I am hoping that Galactica comes across Earth as a barren wasteland. Then as they are about to leave, a massive way advanced fleet jumps right in front of them. After exchanging words the fleet is found out to be from Earth. Then a whole new story arc can begin.

2. The Lords of Kobol are NOT, I repeat are NOT Goa'uld.

3. It's the evil monkey that lives in Chris' closet. He is a minor character from the show 'Family Guy' (returning May 1st, 2005 to FOX 9pm!!!!)

4. VLCD: I loved the Xinidi storyarc! I just want people tp leave the Xinidi out of their day to day conversations, because it always comes back to Xinidi bashing.....LEAVE THE XINDI OUT OF THIS!

Shipperahoy
January 25th, 2005, 05:13 PM
I am kind of confused.

Spoilers for Kobol's Last Gleaming Part 2
So was the baby Sixth was referring to hers and Baltar's or is she talking about the expectant baby of Boomer and Helo?

I thought it was good and I do realize that a lot of shows have cliff hanger endings but they didn't tie up anything at all. Then again, I'm just plain frustrated by cliff hangers, especially when you don't know how long it will be until there are new episodes. Grace Park did a magnificent job in this one. The poor thing. Other than that they didn't really do much with the episode. They blew up a base ship and Starbuck found the arrow of Apollo. Fin.

DownFallAngel
January 25th, 2005, 05:23 PM
I am kind of confused.

Spoilers for Kobol's Last Gleaming Part 2
So was the baby Sixth was referring to hers and Baltar's or is she talking about the expectant baby of Boomer and Helo?

I thought it was good and I do realize that a lot of shows have cliff hanger endings but they didn't tie up anything at all. Then again, I'm just plain frustrated by cliff hangers, especially when you don't know how long it will be until there are new episodes. Grace Park did a magnificent job in this one. The poor thing. Other than that they didn't really do much with the episode. They blew up a base ship and Starbuck found the arrow of Apollo. Fin.

Have you tried checking out this thread?

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=8107

VirtualCLD
January 25th, 2005, 05:33 PM
4. VLCD: I loved the Xinidi storyarc! I just want people tp leave the Xinidi out of their day to day conversations, because it always comes back to Xinidi bashing.....LEAVE THE XINDI OUT OF THIS!

My deepest appologies, I wasn't sure. BTW, I love the evil monkey from Family Guy!! "But he wasn't always evil....." -Chris

DownFallAngel
January 25th, 2005, 05:38 PM
My deepest appologies, I wasn't sure. BTW, I love the evil monkey from Family Guy!! "But he wasn't always evil....." -Chris

Chris: When are you going to help me kill the evil monkey that lives in my closet?
Louis: Oh Chris. You and your stories.
Chris: WHY DON'T YOU BELEIVE ME!?
(the monkey pops out of the room and hisses and points his finger at Chris)
Chris: AHAHAHAHHAHH!

sk8r^Ry
January 25th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Chris: When are you going to help me kill the evil monkey that lives in my closet?
Louis: Oh Chris. You and your stories.
Chris: WHY DON'T YOU BELEIVE ME!?
(the monkey pops out of the room and hisses and points his finger at Chris)
Chris: AHAHAHAHHAHH!
i want some xindi monkeys too! :(

Blue Banrigh
January 25th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Do you really want to know what kind of ending this is? Isn't even knowing a spoiler - because you'll be expecting either the expected or the unexpected! If you must really know then highlight the following to read it yes it does end in a cliffhanger

Thank you!

In my universe knowing whether or not it's a cliffhanger isn't a spoiler. Knowing the details of the cliffhanger is. :D

GhostPoet
January 26th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Wow..that was really boring.

David
January 26th, 2005, 05:46 PM
OK all of you BSG nuts. This is my first time visiting this thread and I've been keeping out mainly in fear of spoilers, so if this has already been covered then please forgive me.

Who is this a picture of? The pilots put their hands on it before a mission. It's too old to be Boxey or it'd be in color. Darren thought it was Zak Adama.

ShadowMaat
January 26th, 2005, 06:03 PM
I've been wondering the same thing. The question was asked on another board and I think the general consensus is that it wasn't anyone specific or known, he's more of a symbol of the holocaust on Caprica. Just a Nameless Pilot. I think Aaron Douglas (Tyrol) was asked and he said it wasn't anyone he knew.

Zak was dead before the war started, but if I'm not mistaken, that definitely looks like the city being nuked, so it wouldn't be Zak.

And he has "too much hair" to be Helo. ;)

Roslin also has the pic on her desk, according to others.

DownFallAngel
January 26th, 2005, 06:05 PM
It's not Boxey, because Boxey is/was supposed to appear in the third episode, 'Bastille Day'.

I don't think it is Zak Adama either. I don't think anyone really knew him other than Lee, kara and William.

Hmmm....it could be, just a thought here, Ron D. Moore. He could have through himself in there, just for ****s and giggles. But, sticking with BSG theme....it could be a pilot who was like, the creme of the crop during the first Cylon war. Like a George Washington type figure.

Still don't think it's Zak.

Blue Banrigh
January 26th, 2005, 06:55 PM
I'm with the 'it's an image of the pilot from the first Cylon War'. The jacket sorta looks like the ones from the original series. So prehaps a tribute?

The painting that Adama has in his room - the Monclaire (sp?) original - is of the Cylons destroying a city in the first war. So it wouldn't suprise me if this was sort of thing.

I like it how they have done that, put things in without explaining it to the audience. But once you find out, you go, that is soo cool. Helps build the universe.

ShadowMaat
January 26th, 2005, 07:12 PM
OK. That works for me, too. ;) Point is, I don't think it's meant to be anyone specific. It IS a good pic, though. Good tribute, however the wind blows.

newton4881
January 26th, 2005, 07:52 PM
I personally think its a pilot from the cylon wars or some biblical symbol...

but if u really wanna know
Aaron Douglas playing "Chief Tyrol".......yes guys the actual actor said it prolly was.... "just some prop they found"

http://battlestargalactica-fleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5450

David
January 26th, 2005, 10:33 PM
There are more than 1300 posts. Which one is it in?

Thanks!

newton4881
January 27th, 2005, 08:53 AM
The funny thing about this picture is that I swear that Roslin has the same pic on one of her office walls aboard Colonial One. I saw it in either "33" or "Water", but I'm pretty sure that it's the same one....

this question was put to Aaron Douglas and he explained it was no one he knew of just a prop put their by the prop department

rock on.

http://www.patrickdavie.com/xenu/33/bscap145.jpg

David
January 27th, 2005, 09:50 AM
It's still a powerful image. One of the little things that makes the show really enjoyable.

newton4881
January 27th, 2005, 11:20 AM
I know i love it.

Blue Banrigh
January 27th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Adama's Mon Clair Original (http://www.patrickdavie.com/xenu/artwork/tnsadamapainting9cr.jpg)

It doesn't have the dark grungy look as the painting, but you do get to see all the details. I love the Colonial monument and the Caprican flag. And how the main focus of the image is the injured/dead soldier surrounded by other soldiers/medics.

Also it's cool how the back of the uniforms of the Colonial warriors are similiar to the backs of the pilot uniforms. That ribbed, scaly sort of look.

BruTak
January 28th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Okay, I'm gonna be a total crazy gun-freak type person and say yes, the SMG's used by the Marines (?) onboard the Galactica do appear to be FN Herstal P90's with added twiddly bits to break up the outline a bit.

The pistol Galactica-Boomer uses in "Kobol's Last Gleaming (Pt. II)" appears to be either a 9mm Glock 19, or Glock 26, I didn't get that close a look at it.

The pistols used by Apollo and the other pilots seem to be custom jobs made by the prop depatment.

Changing the subject totally - does Helo have a battery powered shaver in his emergency kit? He's been stranded on Cylon occupied Caprica for, what, 60 days and nights - and there's not even a hint of a five o'clock shadow...

ShadowMaat
January 28th, 2005, 09:30 AM
There could be some kind of depilitator or whatever the word is. Stuff that inhibits the growth of hair. Dunno if the stuff actually exists, but it seems pretty common in SCIFI series to explain why folks manage to remain so clean-shaven when they're nowhere near razors for weeks/months at a time.

Or it's a hiccup. Ya never know. ;)

BruTak
January 28th, 2005, 09:51 AM
There could be some kind of depilitator or whatever the word is. Stuff that inhibits the growth of hair. Dunno if the stuff actually exists, but it seems pretty common in SCIFI series to explain why folks manage to remain so clean-shaven when they're nowhere near razors for weeks/months at a time.

Or it's a hiccup. Ya never know. ;)
A friend of mine suggested that he was scavenging in wrecked shops etc for food and supplies.

That makes sense - E and E (Escape and Evasion) has been taught to pilots since at least the Korean war/Vietnam war era.

ShadowMaat
January 28th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Or maybe he's simply one of those guys who can't grow a beard easily. ;)

Don't care, he looks yummy, anyway. :D

BruTak
January 28th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Or maybe he's simply one of those guys who can't grow a beard easily. ;)

Don't care, he looks yummy, anyway. :D
I'd give my right arm to be able to grow a decent beard... I'm one of those guys who's scraggly chin whiskers get to a certain length and then stop, leaving me looking like Shaggy.

My friends all say that if I did grow a beard (possibly a goatee) I'd look very sinister - Ming the Merciless sinister... :)

newton4881
January 28th, 2005, 11:12 AM
careful with the spoilers dude, everyone if officially up to "ACT OF CONTRITION"
anything after however relating should be in spoiler quotes. not *****in, just reminding so bsg isn't ruined for me or anyone

ShadowMaat
January 28th, 2005, 11:19 AM
*reads back* What spoilers? Other than a bit about gun use, I didn't notice anything particularly spoilery and I guess I wouldn't have thought of the gun as being a spoiler, either. It's a war. People use guns. Even people on starships. ;) Now, if the comment had said something about Boomer shooting the Xindi monkeys in her closet, that'd be full cause for outrage. :P

Especially for those poor iddle monkeys...

newton4881
January 28th, 2005, 11:57 AM
I not sayin u or anyone did, but don't and pass on the word, i read this thread, i don't want to run into any mines ;)

;)

@Li3n
January 28th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Wow the new show is really incredible! I was really worried that i would suck! The first BSG from the '70 was like the first Sci-Fi show i ever saw, that and the original ST, way back when i was like 12. I do kinda miss some stuff from the old series but so far nothing i can't live without!

Anyway on the question about Earth i din't know if anyone pointed this out but: In ep12 Kobols Last Gleaming part 1 the assistant 2 the president guy who's name i never remember said that the ruins on Kobol where around 2 or 3000 years(not yahrens) old, can't really tell the way he said it. So if the 13th tribe only left 2-3000 years ago from Kobol then earth is populated by cavemen, right??

O yeah, almost forgot: in the original cylons weren't made by humans they used 2 be humans that kept enhancing themselfs until finally they became fully robotic. Thats the part i really miss from the old series. Now they are more like terminators. :(

ShadowMaat
January 28th, 2005, 02:50 PM
It's possible that the cyrrent breed of cylon is trying to create a hybrid that would be close to what the original cylons were like... or started out as, anyway- extremely upgraded humans.

As for your timeline.... feels a bit silly to put a spoiler in, but I will. Kobol's Last Gleaming
3000 yeas ago from NOW would have been more in the age of Egyptians than the cavemen. ;) Definitely civilized cultures, anyway. But that's from NOW. We don't know where in time BSG is from us.

This site is kinda neat. It lets you go back in time region by region.

http://www.edunetconnect.com/TimeMachine/index.php3

UnderT
January 28th, 2005, 08:49 PM
This ep was awesome, I just love this show, it's graphics are awesome and it's drama/sci-fi flavor are the perfect combo.
BSG Rocks!! :D

@Li3n
January 29th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Actually I belive in this one cylons where originally just machines, and they are trying 2 become more human, sorta like the reverse of the story from the original BSG show. And about the whole timeline thing:
It's 3000 years since humans left KOBOL for Earth, not from NOW. So that whould mean that humans only appeared on Earth 3000 years prior to the 12 colonies being destroyed by the Cylons, as in 3000 years from the time the show is taking place.