Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gate Symbols and the Ancients (Stellar Perspective content)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gate Symbols and the Ancients (Stellar Perspective content)

So the ancients were from the Pegasus galaxy, right?

Is that really true? Maybe not.

Possible Spoilers ahead

I was always under the impression that the Ancients were originally from Earth and they moved to the Pegasus galaxy later, where they were destroyed by the Wraith.

Here's my theory. The Stargates all have symbols on them based on constelations that are seen from our planet, Orion being the easiest one to recognize. If the Ancients had been in the Pegasus galaxy when they made the gates, would Orion even exist from their point of view looking out into the sky? No. The stellar perspective would be different. There would be a totally different set of conetellations, meaning there would be a different set of symbols on the gates. I also think that the Earth gate is the original gate. The prototype, so to speak.

So if this theory is true, why did the Ancients leave this galaxy? Perhaps the Gou'auld drove them off. Perhaps The Tau'ri are nothing more than the weakest Ancients that were enslaved by the Goa'uld. This would explain why some humans cary the gene that allows them to use Ancient technology.

Discuss.

(Edited for typoes)

It is true that all of the symbols on the gate only exist when viewed from Earths perspective. What is interesting is that alot of those constellations would have have existed when the Ancients were on Earth.
    Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

I doubt the ancients had any trouble with the goa'uld. The ancients probably had little to do with our galaxy by the time the goa'uld really started coming to power

spoilers season 6/7 spoilers

besides you could obviously see how well the most powerful goa'uld (anubis) did against the ancient technology in Lost City Part 2. The way I've come to understand it is the ancients restarted their evolution on earth which was Dr Frasiers theory in season 6 - probably because of their ascension. Also the special gene is probably a result in the "next phase of our evolution" since Thor mentioned that Jack was more advanced than humans a generation ago.

Comment

When was it said that the Ancients came from Pegasus? Just as easily they could have gone to Pegasus after a period. I can't recall their origin ever being firmly established.
        The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Originally posted by KorbenDirewolf
          When was it said that the Ancients came from Pegasus? Just as easily they could have gone to Pegasus after a period. I can't recall their origin ever being firmly established.
          No, their origin hasn't even been established, but people always jump to conclusions

There is evidence that they evolved on Earth, and none that they evolved in the Pegasus Galaxy, but that's not to say they couldn't have evolved in the Pegasus Galaxy.

Comment

Just throwing a thought out:
            I don't think that the Ancients evolved in the Pagesus galaxy. The Wraith probably would have gotten to them as a food supply, or they could have been in a constant battle with them. They probably would have taken all their time and they wouldn't have been able to build the Stargates.
            Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
            Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
            Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
            Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
            Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
            Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
            Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

I guess we need to wait for the new shows to figure it all out.
              The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

I always figured the ancients evolved on earth because the gate symbols are based on constellations seen from earth and they wouldn't look the same anywhere else in the galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by FixxxeR
                  I always figured the ancients evolved on earth because the gate symbols are based on constellations seen from earth and they wouldn't look the same anywhere else in the galaxy.
                  Not necessarily....

There's no way that they looked the same when the Ancients built the network and designed the glyphs. They did that millions of years ago. Stars change. In many years the starpoints will change again, and so Orion or Usra Major won't be recognizable.
                  The more I start to think about it, the more I like the theory that they glyphs inspired the constellations.
                  Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.

Comment

Originally posted by SGSlugger
                    The more I start to think about it, the more I like the theory that they glyphs inspired the constellations.
                    thats the theory i proposed a while back. when you think about it makes a whole lot more sense, also I really doubt that the ancients are origanillay from earth. we may be descended from them yes but if they first evolved on this planet there would be a whole lot more evidince than one tiny colony in antartica (i know it would not have been under all the ice millions of years ago) If a race as widespread and advanced as the ancients evolved on earth than there would be remains over all the continents, they populated the galaxy, their home planet would have had to have had a population at least equal to what earth has now

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                      thats the theory i proposed a while back. when you think about it makes a whole lot more sense, also I really doubt that the ancients are origanillay from earth. we may be descended from them yes but if they first evolved on this planet there would be a whole lot more evidince than one tiny colony in antartica (i know it would not have been under all the ice millions of years ago) If a race as widespread and advanced as the ancients evolved on earth than there would be remains over all the continents, they populated the galaxy, their home planet would have had to have had a population at least equal to what earth has now
                      Perhaps the ancients wanted human evolution to occur on the same planet as theirs, I'm sure a race that advanced could wipe all evidence of their existance from it (and perhaps left the base in antarctica there on purpose)

Also the light we are seeing right now from other stars is very old and according to http://www.noblemind.com/search.exe?...ht+years&var=1

the light we are seeing is 1600 years old. Stars last very long (they believe our sun has been around for 4.6 billion years) so the constellation orion could have existed the way we see it around 50,000,000 years ago or however long ago the gate network was built.

Of course I could be totally wrong but thats my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by FixxxeR
                        Perhaps the ancients wanted human evolution to occur on the same planet as theirs, I'm sure a race that advanced could wipe all evidence of their existance from it (and perhaps left the base in antarctica there on purpose)

Also the light we are seeing right now from other stars is very old and according to http://www.noblemind.com/search.exe?...ht+years&var=1

the light we are seeing is 1600 years old. Stars last very long (they believe our sun has been around for 4.6 billion years) so the constellation orion could have existed the way we see it around 50,000,000 years ago or however long ago the gate network was built.

Of course I could be totally wrong but thats my opinion.
                        You're right about the stars still being there, problem is that they have moved a lot since the gates was built, it's why the Gates need to update, to compensate for planetary shift.

The Ancients could easily have evolved on Earth and then removed all evidence. The evidence FOR the Ancients evolving on Earth is, mainly, the Lost City was here, and why would it have been?

Comment

The Ancients had several other planets.. I'd guess that one of the first addresses O'Neill entered into the dialing computer in "The Fifth Race" would be the Ancients' original world.

Comment

Originally posted by KorbenDirewolf
                            The Ancients had several other planets.. I'd guess that one of the first addresses O'Neill entered into the dialing computer in "The Fifth Race" would be the Ancients' original world.
                            ...unless it was Earth

They went there first, you'd think they would have found something significant?

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                              Thanks for the theory. I couldn't remember who posted it.

The first addresses could have been the first worlds they colonized, if Earth was the original homeworld. It could be very possible that they removed all traces of their civilzation except for Atlantis. We do it today..replanting trees, tearing down buildings...etc...

Comment

Working...
                              X