This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancients and the comm stones

I've been thinking and something just doesn't add up. The communication stones somehow don't fit in with the Ancients.

First, the technology is extremely advanced. The stones can connect over billions of light years. We know that the Ancients have had them since before they left their galaxy, but at that time their technology was fairly primitive in comparison. The stones apparently have a limitless supply of energy. I believe it was mentioned in SG1 that the pedastol taps energy from subspace - just like the ZPMs, yet the Destiny has no such technology.

Second, the Ancients were humans, which means that they had essentially the same values as us. Communication using the stones is sort of impersonal. Even though you know who the person you are talking to really is, it's hard to actually cope with it, since they don't have the same face and voice.

Third, there was an SGA episode in which they found a pedastol and stones in the Pegasus galaxy. I know the producers were most likely reusing the props, but it's still a bit odd. If the Lantenas rewamped their whole approach to aesthetics, why not redesign this one simple thing?

So, my question is: are the communication stones really Ancient technology?

Could the stones be of the Ori? Then again, they are considered Ancients, just a little egoistic.

It may be possible that these stones could be of a different race altogether. I have absolutely no proof to back that statement up; I'm just speculating. I can't see the Ancients even making the stones because of their moral values (for example: the Alterans/Ancients did not use the Ark of Truth.).

It is a very interesting question....
    There is always one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient Scientist1 View Post
      It may be possible that these stones could be of a different race altogether. I have absolutely no proof to back that statement up; I'm just speculating.
      I agree. I'm thinking that maybe there was race before the Ancients that invented them & somehow it got into the Ancients' hands? And then they were left lying around in dark, little closets (Or holes in the earth.) just waiting to be found by us extremely curious humans.

Comment

that is a good point and it dose seem like something that was only considered Ancient due to the fact that it was found in Glastonbury Cavern and there was on buried with the Ark of Truth.
        there is also the fact that there was one in the Ori village that Daniel and Vala were sent to bit it dose not seam to be of Ori construction either.
        sigpic
        Dr. Nicholas Rush: Ultimately, I control this ship.
        Watching:How I Met your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, Warehouse 13, Alphas, Glee, Fringe, The Mentalist, Castle, Sanctuary | Re-watching: SG1, SGU

Comment

Could it be that the stones were create by the world-building aliens and adopted by the Ancients when they found them and they're uses?

the men cheered, the women fainted, the children waved multicoloured flags !!!!

Comment

Some of their oldest technology is similar in design to the stone pedastol. If the stones are not their technology, then the Ancients based their design on something they found, indicating that they were "fans" of some unknown race. Maybe the Ancients didn't even evolve on their own, but instead used another race's legacy as their base?

Comment

Which might be the mission of the destiny.. To fid those who Made these comm stones.

BUT since we have seen that they DO require the ATA gene to activate/initialize i doubt they were NOT made by the Ancients.

Comment

I doubt the stone require ATA gen. Daniel Jackson and Vala didn't have the gen. Even the Blue alien don't have the gen. Yet, Young and the alien able to swap places.

So, it practically the oldest tech has been used or carried around by the Ancient race.

Comment

I find the idea that the stones were not invented by the Ancients very interesting. Considering Destiny's position on the other side of the Universe it seems their range is unlimited (or at least very, very large). Compared with other Ancient technology that is a remarkable feat. If they really were able to build them, shouldn't other technologies like sensors or communication have been equally powerful?
                  sigpic

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Comment

Originally posted by Trinary View Post
                    I doubt the stone require ATA gen. Daniel Jackson and Vala didn't have the gen. Even the Blue alien don't have the gen. Yet, Young and the alien able to swap places.

So, it practically the oldest tech has been used or carried around by the Ancient race.
                    They seemed to when we had Joe the barber/jack.. and with Daniel/vala, they had iirc those stones were 'opened up' so anyone could use them.

Comment

Would be interesting if the communication stone technology was of world builder design. It would explain how the Ancients may have known of the world builders (if they are the destiny's destination) without meeting them and would supply a convenient way for the crew to have more interactions with the world builders.

Comment

The stones are of Ancient origin yes. We know this because the ATA gene is required to initialize them. After they've been activated, anyone can use them.

It also stands that if it takes the ATA gene to activate a stone, then someone who has the ATA gene can deactivate one too. We just haven't figured out how to do that yet.
                        sigpic
                        ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Theyre not that advanced, theyre stones.... They probably dont even have a powersource. Some sort of quantum entanglement ancient magic thing that dosent even require controls or power. Then only technology is in the base they plug into. The stones have limited connection abilities without the base.

That might just be a power source that uses the stones to switch and then the stones naturally project them to their sister stones. Like a combination of the Machello devices that switches minds, and the stones innate real time connection irregardless of location.

On their own they just share memories between 2 stone holders. With a powersource and whatever that machello-ish base part is it becomes a easy way of communicating over insane distances.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                            Theyre not that advanced, theyre stones....
                            You turn a rock into an intergalactic walkie talkie and tell me it's not advanced.
                            sigpic
                            ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
                              The stones are of Ancient origin yes. We know this because the ATA gene is required to initialize them. After they've been activated, anyone can use them.

It also stands that if it takes the ATA gene to activate a stone, then someone who has the ATA gene can deactivate one too. We just haven't figured out how to do that yet.
                              Oh, yeah, I remember that episode. I think it was mentioned in SG1's 8th season.

The stones not being Ancient technology would have been a nice twist in my opinion. A small unanswered question that makes you wonder how infinite the universe is.

Edit:

Though, the stones needing he ATA gene doesn't really mean anything. The technology is still kind of out of place.
                              Last edited by Brian N; 27 October 2010, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X