Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weir's Role in Season 2 (Spoilers for Seasons 1 and 2)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weir's Role in Season 2 (Spoilers for Seasons 1 and 2)

Well, we have a thread for Teyla, Ford, and Beckett — might as well have one for Doctor Weir too.

What do you think will happen with Elizabeth in Season 2, and for that matter, at the end of "The Siege"? The introduction of a new military commander suggests that she might be taken out of command, but I doubt it. With an international team, it would be political suicide to place an American military officer over the expedition, which is why Elizabeth was chosen to lead it in the first place.

As for my wish list, I'm hoping that in Season 2, she gets to leave Atlantis and show off those diplomatic skills we've heard so much about.
    Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
    Last update: 14 April 2006
    Melyanna's Multimedia
    Last update: 15 February 2006

I didn't like Weir at first, but she has really grown on me. She started off very stiff but has grown much more personable which is probably due to Torri becoming more comfortable in the role.

Would also like to see her get off Atlantis once in awhile. I think it would do her good.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
      I didn't like Weir at first, but she has really grown on me. She started off very stiff but has grown much more personable which is probably due to Torri becoming more comfortable in the role.

Would also like to see her get off Atlantis once in awhile. I think it would do her good.
      I agree, and sending her off-world once in a while would be great chance to develop her further.
      I hope they tells us more about her past then they did with Hammond.
      sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

I think they should kill wier off and put Grodin in charge. His no nonsense Brit attitude would make him a perfect leader. I'm assuming he's second in command at the moment anyway. Thats the impression you get from Hide and Seek and Hot Zone.

Oh, and they should keep Ford. He's a good character. Maybe they should give him his own team, with Zleneka on it.

Comment

i don't believe weir is going back to earth, and i doubt she will stay on atlantis..maybe she's kidnapped by the wraith?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob105
            I think they should kill wier off and put Grodin in charge. His no nonsense Brit attitude would make him a perfect leader. I'm assuming he's second in command at the moment anyway. Thats the impression you get from Hide and Seek and Hot Zone.

Oh, and they should keep Ford. He's a good character. Maybe they should give him his own team, with Zleneka on it.
            Grodin's the equivalent of Chevron Guy, not second in command. At this point, Sheppard is Weir's second.
            Melyanna's Multimedia

Comment

Weir irritated the heck out of me at first, but I think they've made great strides in making her character more palatable and more three-dimensional. She's in my top five fave characters on the show, now, and I hope that they'll continue her great development in S2. The hints that are being dropped about the show starting to focus more on the military aspect of things and less on the civilian side of things doesn't bode well, but hopefully Weir will be there fighting and arguing with the jar-heads every step of the way. Maybe even having enough influence to sway things HER way, on occasion.

I met Torri in London this past November and she was just such a bouncy, personable, fun person to be around... I hope things work out for the best for her and that Weir is still vital to the expedition and not... well, not more like that Ponytailed B***ard's interpretation of her.

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
                Grodin's the equivalent of Chevron Guy, not second in command. At this point, Sheppard is Weir's second.
                Grodin is clearly more than just a chevron guy. He is blatently in charge of the control room when Wier isn't there. In Hot zone you can see him ordering people around in the background.

Comment

And Wally is no doubt bossing people around when Jack isn't around (and even when he is). How else does he manage to get so much done?

I'd say that Grodin's role differs from Wally's in some pretty big ways, but that's a discussion for the Grodin thread.

I look forward to seeing Weir in S2. I have some trepidation about just what TPTB's vision is for the show and what Weir's role in it might be, but I have more confidence in her chances of staying around than I do in... some of the other characters...

Comment

Okay, my analogy was a little exaggerated, but I would be hard-pressed to believe he's that high in the chain of command. I suspect that Beckett would take over before Grodin would have the authority to.

Anyway, I'm a little surprised that we've heard next to nothing about Weir past "The Siege". It's weird that they're shaking up the cast this much in the second season, so I hope they're not changing everything, 'cause I like the show quite a bit at the moment.
                    Melyanna's Multimedia

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
                      Okay, my analogy was a little exaggerated, but I would be hard-pressed to believe he's that high in the chain of command. I suspect that Beckett would take over before Grodin would have the authority to.

Anyway, I'm a little surprised that we've heard next to nothing about Weir past "The Siege". It's weird that they're shaking up the cast this much in the second season, so I hope they're not changing everything, 'cause I like the show quite a bit at the moment.
                      I wouldn't worry Mel, I think that person's view had a hint of.... hmmm let me concentrate... hmmm... stirring comes to mind...

Comment

My biggest wish for the character of Weir is that they let her go off-world at least occasionally. Though I’ve only seen the first half of S1 so I have no idea what goes on in the second half and don’t want to, I think they ought to let her go stretch her legs and go refresh her diplomatic skills. What was the purpose of her being a diplomat in the first place when it seems so far Sheppard has been doing all the negotiating and decision-making. He comes back, tells Weir, and they usually still go with his call.

At least they made strides in the first half of S1 to where I actually like the character more. At first, I really couldn’t stand her. She still needs more work, imo, but at least they are trying which is more than I can say for Teyla and Ford. I still swear Dr. Beckett has more personality and background as a character than those two put together.

Plus, delve a little more into a backstory for Weir. It’d help make her more three dimensional.

I’m not sure what to make of bits and pieces I’ve picked up around the board about “The Siege” and having a new military commander show up. That may not bode well for Weir, but I seriously don’t see tptb reducing the role of her character and making this other person in charge of the expedition. She is an important presence as a strong female lead character since the other one is only there for show. She and Sheppard already butt heads on occasion. She’d probably really have to stand up to this new guy as not to get stepped on about decision making. Hey, but what doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger or so the saying goes. I’d rather her stay in command and am hoping that that won’t change in S2.

Now not on my wish list for S2 is any kind of open ship between her and Shep or her and anybody else. I’m not a fan of ship on Stargate between the major characters.
                        IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
                          My biggest wish for the character of Weir is that they let her go off-world at least occasionally.
                          I agree! This would be a great development for her character, and to be honest, she would be so much better at first contact than Sheppard and his team.

At least they made strides in the first half of S1 to where I actually like the character more.
                          I thought she was a bit stiff to start with, but I grew to like her quite quickly.

Now not on my wish list for S2 is any kind of open ship between her and Shep or her and anybody else. I’m not a fan of ship on Stargate between the major characters.
                          *nods* I agree... no open ship... now hidden ship...that's a different story...

Comment

Initially I did think that Weir was too stoic but gradually began to accept the stoicism as an integral part of her personality especially after watching Before I Sleep... I think it is realistic to expect that someone in her position would have to have a pretty good grip on their emotions and refrain from flying off the handle at every crisis. Also the fact that she has had to handle sensitive diplomatic negotiations in the past means becoming practiced at keeping one's head when all others are losing theirs. It's been a fairly consistent characterization so far demonstrated in Rising, Thirty-Eight Minutes etc etc. But it's been good to see a softening in her demeanour in Before and Letters...

Who knows... with this new military commander coming on board, she may get her time in the sun... literally...
                            Last edited by Easter Lily; 14 January 2005, 02:57 PM. Reason: Correcting some typos
                            sigpic
                            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I posted this in the Teyla thread and I think it’s more appropriate here:

"about Weir, she needs to toughen up a bit. I hope they don’t pull a Captain Janeway on us. Her development should move along the lines of Captain Sisko… she should get more hardcore and passionate about her city and people the longer she’s there and the bigger the threats get. I mean, as it is, every chance she gets she abandons Atlantis. From now on it should feel like her home and she should defend it at all costs."

Comment

Working...
                              X