Which direction should we be looking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which direction should we be looking?

I've always wondered where we should be pointing our telescopes while looking up the night sky.

Has there been any indication where and which galaxy(-ies) Destiny has been at / to since the arrival of the Icarus Base crew?

And how powerful of a telescope must we have on Earth to take a look or magnify to to say, "Hey, they're somewhere in this ball of light cluster here. :oint::"

Given that they are an astronomical distance away, has there been any reference to how far they are to the Pegasus Galaxy or even perhaps the Ori Galaxy?

Destiny is so far away that no telescope would ever be able to see even the galaxy it is in. It'd appear as a dot of light, at best.

Comment

well, if you want to take that the shot of the last galaxy was the "Sombrero Galaxy", it would be in the direction of Virgo

Comment

In Air when they are looking at the map of destiny's path, you clearly sea at least 7 galaxies before the camera pans away, but each time the path hits a galaxy there is a beep. There was at least 10 to 15 more beeps after the camera pans away. I think its safe to say the distance is beyond comprehension. But my question is if destiny did pass through the milky way and Pegasus, where are all the Destiny style gates. Destiny was launched way before the Ancients went to Pegasus. If they went there because they got info from a seeder ship or destiny itself. But where are all the gates?

Comment

Originally posted by kellx View Post
          But where are all the gates?
          They only come with a three year warranty. After which they disolve into a primordial ooze. They only work with Destiny because it's in proximity of fairly new gates and the ships that make them. Or I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by kellx View Post
            In Air when they are looking at the map of destiny's path, you clearly sea at least 7 galaxies before the camera pans away, but each time the path hits a galaxy there is a beep. There was at least 10 to 15 more beeps after the camera pans away. I think its safe to say the distance is beyond comprehension. But my question is if destiny did pass through the milky way and Pegasus, where are all the Destiny style gates. Destiny was launched way before the Ancients went to Pegasus. If they went there because they got info from a seeder ship or destiny itself. But where are all the gates?
            Since the Milky Way and Pegasus gates are more advanced or seem to be, why would you stick to them? Better to replace them with newer models.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Just like operating systems.. Upgrades are needed to keep with the times and needs.

Comment

They don't ever mention where the galaxies are in the show. I think someone may have matched the galaxies depicted in Sabotage to some Nasa/Hubble images but it isn't cannon. It would be cool if they threw us Astronomy nuts a bone though. Also would be cool to know how far away they are. Billions of light years is pretty general and there's a big difference between 3 billion and 40 billion.
                I love SGU and I even like the other two SGU prequel shows

Comment

Since Air Part 1 I've been thinking that Destiny is somewhere beyond the Sloan Great Wall.
                  sigpic

Comment

That way!

No one could possibly know all we do know is that Destiny headed in the direction of Pegasus dwarf. matching the previous galaxy to the sombrero galaxy is useless.

Comment

Since the speed of light is the speed of light, wouldn't that mean that if we could see Destiny, it would have been a ridiculous amount of time ago and the ship/crew would all be dead?

Comment

Well... our own solar system ( counting the oortcloud as it's extent. The oortcloud is a big cloud of rocks like we have close to the planets, only ridiculously huge compared to our solarsystem: ) might be one or two light years big, and a distance like that, 20 or 30 galaxies far? Billions upon billions of light years. By the time the light reaches us, destiny might very well be turned to dust ( assuming it wasn't destroyed by aliens or natural space phenomenons )

Comment

You couldn't ever see desitny... Just like, even if there are ships flying around in the milky way right now. And we even got pictures of them! We would just see it as a small shimmer, if anything at all... the planets we "find" are because the gravitational changes in the star they look at, and from that can determine size and orbit... not because they actually see them
                          Save Stargate Resistance and Stargate Worlds, keep a part of the franchise alive! and read our blog

Comment

Originally posted by Joben View Post
                            Since the speed of light is the speed of light, wouldn't that mean that if we could see Destiny, it would have been a ridiculous amount of time ago and the ship/crew would all be dead?
                            why would they be dead? no... if destiny launched one million years ago, and travelled at the speed of light, we would see it present day... but destiny travelled farther than that... So say the first day destiny travelled one million years... and today is one million years later... we would see destiny where it was when it stopped that day ... tomorrow... but in reality destiny is billions of light years away...
                            Save Stargate Resistance and Stargate Worlds, keep a part of the franchise alive! and read our blog

Comment

i wish they would give us an idea of how far away they are. it would be cool if they were suddenly either in the peagus galaxy or the ori galaxy.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X