This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teyla's Role

Does anyone have any info on how Teyla will develop in season 2? Cause, I really like the character but I don't want her potential to be wasted. I'd like to see her become more of a warrior/priestess. I want to see more elaborate and stunning fight scenes with her. (Come on, you've got to fill the void left when Buffy and Angel went away.) I want her to become more of a mythic figure to her people. And I'd like to see a possible romance develop with Shepard.

I'm hoping that "The Gift" in this season will start to flesh her out a bit. All she's been thus far is eye candy.

I hope that...

1) she learns to pull her hair back during fight scenes. It's ridiculous to think that a warrior would let her hair fly all over the place during a real fight.

2) she does more than stand around and point out planets she's been to.

3) she doesn't get involved with Sheppard. There's no chemistry there. I'd be bored out of my mind.
    Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
    Last update: 14 April 2006
    Melyanna's Multimedia
    Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
      I'm hoping that "The Gift" in this season will start to flesh her out a bit. All she's been thus far is eye candy.

I hope that...

1) she learns to pull her hair back during fight scenes. It's ridiculous to think that a warrior would let her hair fly all over the place during a real fight.

2) she does more than stand around and point out planets she's been to.

3) she doesn't get involved with Sheppard. There's no chemistry there. I'd be bored out of my mind.
      No word yet, but there was something going on in "Letters from Pegasus," but I won't say what. Ahem...

The writers need to flesh her out. No doubt about it. Ditto with Weir. While I adore Sheppard and McKay, the writers could spare a few lines of dialouge, etc. for the ladies on the show!

Comment

Originally posted by prion
        No word yet, but there was something going on in "Letters from Pegasus," but I won't say what. Ahem...
        I've seen "Letters". I'm not sure what you're talking about.

The writers need to flesh her out. No doubt about it. Ditto with Weir. While I adore Sheppard and McKay, the writers could spare a few lines of dialouge, etc. for the ladies on the show!
        Weir's been fleshed out pretty well so far, especially given the fact that she's not part of the main team. She's had a whole episode to herself ("Before I Sleep"), which is more than Hammond ever had on SG-1. But then, the show has really revolved around Sheppard, McKay, and Weir.
        Melyanna's Multimedia

Comment

yes, i agree. we do need more teyla. and the gift will be the first really teyla centric ep.
          ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

Agree on the hair issue. It may be shorter but it is still a bad "doo".

Give the girl some decent clothing. The "Brittney Spears in Space" outfits are ridiculous. As was mentioned on another thread - Samantha Carter is buttoned up to the chin but manages to be sexy, brainy, and can fight pretty well. I'm sure the costume dept. can come up with some functional, yet still sexy clothing.

Yesterday there was a family discussion of the "Ford" issue in Season 2. Both my husband and my teenage son said they would prefer keeping Ford and making Teyla the recurring character. My son is crazy about Sam Carter, but says Teyla is just. ."dumb".

It will be interesting to see if TPTB can make Teyla more than just "hot chick swinging a stick".

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I'm really looking forward to "The Gift" (118) to see some more character development for Teyla! I guess, in season 2 her skills as a warrior will be much more developped, because she got and maybe is still getting some fighting training from the guy who played Darth Maul (Star Wars Episode 1)and Toad (X-Men).
              sigpic
              My short movie "Red Bag" / The Scifi Guys Podcast / My Twitter account

Comment

[QUOTE=Melyanna]I've seen "Letters". I'm not sure what you're talking about.

What I mean is (spoilers)
                is that something is basically nothing ('something' doesn't have to mean 'ship' after all ). If anything, that situation would put them further apart in any type of romance.

end text

Comment

[QUOTE=prion]
                  I've seen "Letters". I'm not sure what you're talking about.

What I mean is (spoilers)
                  is that something is basically nothing ('something' doesn't have to mean 'ship' after all ). If anything, that situation would put them further apart in any type of romance.

end text
                  Okay, I understand what you're saying. And I agree.
                  Melyanna's Multimedia

Comment

teyla, thus far, has been a bit of a disappointment. it is horrendously obvious that she's suffering from 'anise syndrome'...ie the idea that all a scifi show needs is a token pretty girl.

i'm not a prude, but i find her consistent costuming in tank tops, tummy baring shirts or leg baring skirts to be nothing more than pandering to the male demographic.

chick doesn't need to be bundled up in a nun's habit...but man, i guess it's realy warm at atlatis cause i'm cold just looking at her.

as long as she's just there to be pretty, i can't take her character seriously at all. It's like she's in the show because someone realized that they had an all male cast. i don't really count weir since she's just a bit performer and she also is a cliche...the maternal figure like hammond was the paternal figure

IMHO, they really , really need to flesh her out. concentrate less on showing her body and more on showing what she's made of

right now, i find Sora tons more interesting.
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Pretty much ditto on what Skydiver said.

I’ve only seen the first half of S1 and trying to avoid spoilers for the second half, but Teyla seems pretty much like window dressing to me at this point. Teal’c may have been the same as well most of the time, but at least he had a back-story to work from. Teyla is just some leader of her tribe who fears the Wraith. That could be nearly anybody’s story in the Pegasus galaxy. Give us some reason to care about her and feel for her plight otherwise I don't particularly care if she becomes a snack treat for a Wraith.

And as mentioned up the thread by others, I too seriously do not want any open shipping between Teyla and Sheppard. Keep it the occasional UST scene if they must. I just don't see it between those two. He and Weir have more chemistry, but I don't want any open ship with them either.

I hope they seriously flesh her out some more so she’s just more than eye-candy and the tour guide of the Pegasus galaxy.

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                      It will be interesting to see if TPTB can make Teyla more than just "hot chick swinging a stick".
                      LOL! That about sums it up for me. Though at least I pay attention and notice her when she's swinging the sticks. Seems she'll be doing more stick swinging in the second half of S1. Guess that's better than nothing at all.
                      IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        right now, i find Sora tons more interesting.
                        Hmmm. Let's switch Teyla to a recurring role. . .and make Sora a reg.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I keep going back and forth on my opinions when it comes to Teyla. The writers don't seem to know quite what to do with her. Yet. She's had some good moments in The Eye, Hot Zone and The Brotherhood, though.

For instance, (spoilers for Hot Zone):

Spoiler:
                          I didn't see her training session with Sheppard in this episode as gratuitous and/or flirty. Based on the preview pics, I was afraid it would be, and that I would cringe my way through that entire scene. I didn't.

Spoilers for The Eye and The Brotherhood:

Spoiler:
                          I also liked her knife-fighting in both of these episodes; as well as her gentle teasing of Rodney when he was completely oblivious to Alina's crush on him.

I wish they would focus more on her skills as a "warrior" and let go of the "eye-candy aspect" of her character. And, as has already been mentioned, the tummy baring outfits are really annoying.

Originally posted by impulsivelad
                          And I'd like to see a possible romance develop with Shepard.
                          Please, no.
                          Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by impulsivelad
                            Does anyone have any info on how Teyla will develop in season 2? Cause, I really like the character but I don't want her potential to be wasted. I'd like to see her become more of a warrior/priestess. I want to see more elaborate and stunning fight scenes with her. (Come on, you've got to fill the void left when Buffy and Angel went away.) I want her to become more of a mythic figure to her people. And I'd like to see a possible romance develop with Shepard.

I think that we will definitely see more fighting scenes. She has been training with this whole time off. So imagine that there is going to be some good scenes ahead.
                            Two apples get you nothing unless your buying a banana.

Comment

I agree that she needs more development - but I wonder what they're going to do with her - after all we get ANOTHER regular from Pegasus-galaxy and I think he knows the Wraith better than she does... (after running from them for years)
                              So Teyla kind of looses this specialty - nevertheless I don't think they'll do the same to her that they did to Ford - even if it's just for the eye-candy

@Sheppard / Teyla
                              I thought Weir/Sheppard to be more likely as well - but after about half way through season 1 I changed - though "Letters from Pegasus" made it seem less likely again - I don't know...

Comment

Working...
                              X