Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why not just use holograms or even CGI and voice altering software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not just use holograms or even CGI and voice altering software?

I get that they don't want to bring in too much advanced technology from SG1 and Atlantis but the whole solution with Eli and his mother was kind of stupid. The whole thing with Eli pretending to be someone else was stupid.

They could have easily had Eli record video messages for his mother while he was in someone else's body and then digitally alter the image to make it look like Eli. They could have also had Eli call his mother and digitally alter the voice to sound like Eli. That's just with today's technology. If they wanted to go a step farther, they could have projected a hologram around the person Eli's inhabiting for a face to face visit.

They could do that for every one of Destiny's crew and preserve the secret of the SG program.
    Last edited by Giantevilhead; 20 October 2010, 09:36 AM.

I don't think they can send any data from Destiny. The only way information seems to get from the ship to Earth is from whatever Young, Wray, etc tells them while using the stones. Also, if Eli showed up as a hologram, then I doubt that would have helped his mom. She would want him to come home right then, and what would he say then? Can't because this is a hologram? I think nothing short of him showing his mom that he is doing something important where he can't get home was the only way she was going to get better.
    My Minecraft Stargatesigpic

Comment

The solution was effective, but it would have been just as effective to do what they did to prove it to Eli... namely beaming her up to the Odyssey. If she saw that such advanced technology exists, she would have been more likely to believe him.

Also, telling an anecdote is all well and good, but Eli didn't do the traditional "ask me anything that only Eli would know" solution to proving that you are someone else. Having her generate the question means that Eli couldn't have answered it beforehand and thus it really must be Eli.

Comment

Originally posted by AquaGamer53 View Post
        I don't think they can send any data from Destiny. The only way information seems to get from the ship to Earth is from whatever Young, Wray, etc tells them while using the stones. Also, if Eli showed up as a hologram, then I doubt that would have helped his mom. She would want him to come home right then, and what would he say then? Can't because this is a hologram? I think nothing short of him showing his mom that he is doing something important where he can't get home was the only way she was going to get better.
        I'm not talking about people recording messages on the Destiny and then sending them to earth. Eli could have used the stones and recorded a message while in someone else's body and then the SGC can digitally alter the message to make the person Eli was in to look like him. Same thing with a live telephone call and a hologram. It would be an effective way of maintaining communication between the Destiny's crew and their families without revealing any top government secrets.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
          I'm not talking about people recording messages on the Destiny and then sending them to earth. Eli could have used the stones and recorded a message while in someone else's body and then the SGC can digitally alter the message to make the person Eli was in to look like him. Same thing with a live telephone call and a hologram. It would be an effective way of maintaining communication between the Destiny's crew and their families without revealing any top government secrets.
          I suppose that would work, but it seems like most people were given permission to disclose the situation with someone close to them and Eli choose not to when he first visited. So in his mom's case, I think this was the only way.
          My Minecraft Stargatesigpic

Comment

There were holographic mimetic devices used a couple times on sg1 that would work. Remember the Aliens that took over the SGC with their copy holograms? And then later a NID'er used one to shoot Kinsey with Oneill's face on? Im guessing they could get a good enough hologram of destinys crew based on their ID photos and security camera footage.

How to explain that the SG noob fans every time they stone to earth tho.....

Comment

The mimic devices, 3D holographic projection, and everything else require the one you're trying to copy to be present. We haven't seen them actually construct an image with Chimera, only project people standing in another room, and the momic devices needed to scan the person being copied (O'Neill's was one of the original templates).

Without Eli present, they don't have anything to get a scan of him.

Comment

They only need all that advanced tech if they were doing face to face meetings. With phone conversations and video messages, we already have the technology to digitally alter images and voices to look and sound like someone else. All they need to do is get some guys from Stan Winston/James Cameron/George Lucas's special effects companies to digitally alter video footage to make the person Eli is inhabiting looks like Eli. The voice part is even easier since they don't even need to get it exactly right, just close enough so that they can say that Eli has a cold or something.

Comment

I thought TPTB were going to let Eli use the devices used by the aliens that took over the Stargate and assumed the identities of Stargate personnel to appear as himself to his mother.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
                    I get that they don't want to bring in too much advanced technology from SG1 and Atlantis but the whole solution with Eli and his mother was kind of stupid. The whole thing with Eli pretending to be someone else was stupid.

They could have easily had Eli record video messages for his mother while he was in someone else's body and then digitally alter the image to make it look like Eli. They could have also had Eli call his mother and digitally alter the voice to sound like Eli. That's just with today's technology. If they wanted to go a step farther, they could have projected a hologram around the person Eli's inhabiting for a face to face visit.

They could do that for every one of Destiny's crew and preserve the secret of the SG program.
                    It would give them the ability to revisit some tech SG1 had (those aliens from foot hold).. but it might also back fire as the one's wearing the holos might forget they are NOT in their own bodies.

The solution was effective, but it would have been just as effective to do what they did to prove it to Eli... namely beaming her up to the Odyssey. If she saw that such advanced technology exists, she would have been more likely to believe him.
                    True. but i would have prefered they at least have showed us something of her being required to sign a NDA much like others have..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                      It would give them the ability to revisit some tech SG1 had (those aliens from foot hold).. but it might also back fire as the one's wearing the holos might forget they are NOT in their own bodies.

True. but i would have prefered they at least have showed us something of her being required to sign a NDA much like others have..
                      In one way she isn't as much of a security risk as people think... as we have seen the military kill to cover up the Stargate program before (a reporter in SG1) - and if she started to make noise like she was going to talk they could always kill her and tell Eli she died of complications from her HIV. He would be sad but would have no reason not to believe them and would continue on.

Comment

Originally posted by Descended View Post
                        In one way she isn't as much of a security risk as people think... as we have seen the military kill to cover up the Stargate program before (a reporter in SG1) - and if she started to make noise like she was going to talk they could always kill her and tell Eli she died of complications from her HIV. He would be sad but would have no reason not to believe them and would continue on.
                        That would be the Trust, not the military.
                        By Nolamom
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Descended View Post

Also, telling an anecdote is all well and good, but Eli didn't do the traditional "ask me anything that only Eli would know" solution to proving that you are someone else. Having her generate the question means that Eli couldn't have answered it beforehand and thus it really must be Eli.
                          He actually did that, he told thing that only he would have known. Her favorite scifi movie, ET, what she said when his father left.

Originally posted by garhkal View Post

That technology requires that the person beign copied be present and scanned by that cocoon like body scanner. And it's most probably that Eli's mother signed the NDA with is standard procedure with all super secret programs.
                          sigpic
                          - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

For a while I actually thought they were going to use an Eli hologram, but then they took her to Destiny, rather than beaming her to the Daedalus which doesn't have the benefit of her being more or less face to face with Eli.

And I know people are going to start ranting about how Earth doesn't have the technology to make a decent hologram of Eli, but surely at this point we have at least figured out that technology by now; frankly that "Earth hasn't been able to study the Ancient/Asgard databases yet" is getting quite old.

I mean I can accept not having powerful weapons and super fast ships yet, but tell me we at least have holograms!?

Comment

I have to say, given that the Stargate program is a military one, maybe it's plain old military practicality that has them not bother with all the foofarah of making the stonees look like who they are at the moment? Maybe it's enough that they stone in, say who they are, maybe give a bit of identity and that's that, they're taken as that person? If it was a purely civilian endeavor, maybe there'd be more pressure to have them look like who they were supposed to look like?

I think I just confused myself
                              sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Working...
                              X