Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about theme in the second season so far.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about theme in the second season so far.

Is it me or are the episodes so far this season far less character driven than last year? I loved the focus on one character per episode where we got to see a little of what made them tick along with learning some backstory. Is this part of the "new direction"? Less Character, more story?
    All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

i think it's part of the seasonal pace.

1.0 was slow, and built up to 1.5. now 2.0 will have the 1.5 pacing, probably slowing down here and there

Comment

I dunno about "less character", but I don't think there's "more story". I think the pacing of the story-telling is the same. The way the plotlines are developing are pretty much the same, despite the fact that the introduction of the LA promised a bit more speed and urgency.
      And there's been some great focus on TJ, Young and Rush so far.

Comment

I think in Season 1 they were introducing the characters & trying to REALLY give us a feel for them, what makes them tick, how they think etc. But now that that's done they're moving onto the stories where you throw them into new & interesting situations & get to see how they react &, hopefully, we'll learn more about the characters.

Comment

reddevil,

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
          I dunno about "less character", but I don't think there's "more story". I think the pacing of the story-telling is the same. The way the plotlines are developing are pretty much the same, despite the fact that the introduction of the LA promised a bit more speed and urgency.
          Yeah, but the focus has been less intense. The stories this season seem more plot driven to me than last year. I do concede it is early in the season. We'll see how it goes.

All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
            reddevil,

Yeah, but the focus has been less intense. The stories this season seem more plot driven to me than last year. I do concede it is early in the season. We'll see how it goes.

I think the first two were character-driven and very much so. It was simply done better than the likes of Life.

Comment

reddevil,

"Life" isn't what I was thinking of. More like "Earth" or even "Sabotage" where there is focus, story, and significant character development without the cheesiness of "Life".

I really hope *spoiler for "Pathogen"*
              Spoiler:
              Eli's Mama is okay. Having her take a turn for the worse while he's stuck on Destiny really sucks. Although, come to think of it, that could force Eli to really turn on Rush. Being away from his Mother could push Eli to blame Rush even more for their current predicament.

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                Guess Emily costs too much to mention... especially when Telford was around.
                sigpic
                Save Mallozzi's Mailbag!

Comment

I think S1 was about introducing the characters and the situation. I don't think S2 is any less about the characters, so much as we know the characters so it's not in the forefront of our minds
                  sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Ya I think that's how they panned to introduce the characters so in later seasons they don't hate to stop plot

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                      I really hope *spoiler for "Pathogen"*
                      Spoiler:
                      Eli's Mama is okay. Having her take a turn for the worse while he's stuck on Destiny really sucks. Although, come to think of it, that could force Eli to really turn on Rush. Being away from his Mother could push Eli to blame Rush even more for their current predicament.
                      I would actually like to see something like that. Not everything should be rosey!

Comment

I think that initially there was more focus on resolving the storylines from last season [ i.e TJ's pregnancy, the LA incursion and the handling of the prisoners, Telford] Also, as there is a new theme focusing on discovering Destiny's mission and gaining control of te ship as opposed to survival, time needs to be given to show this establishing [ i.e the discovery of the bridge] so these storylines can come into play later in the season. However, I believe the resolution of some of thestorylines from the previous season have involved a great deal of character moments. Although we may not be learning about their background, we can explore how they are coping in some of the toughest issues they have faced, under extraordinary circumstances[ i.e. TJ's vision of her baby surviving on the planet with Cain, her lack of belief in this and how she will cope ].

As the issues from last season seem to be resolving and the new themes of the current season seem to be establishing themselves, I believe we will further explore some of the characters on a somewhat more personal level again. However, we have already had the chance to see their general background and reasons for rooting for their return [ i.e Scott's desire to be a father to his son, Eli to support his sick mom, Young's desire to rebuild his relationship with his wife, Emily ,e.t.c].We may now have the chance to explore the challenges these characters face from being away from loved ones back on Earth for such an extended period of time and perhaps how these further complications affect these relationships. We can then examine how this would affect their response to the mission/ discoveries of the second season and their overall perspective on their situation aboard Destiny.
                        Last edited by smart; 17 October 2010, 07:06 PM.
                        Abbas Karimjee
                        www.abbaskarimjee.wordpress.com
                        The latest Stargate Atlantis, SG1 , Universe , movies and the future of Stargate news.

Comment

I want to see if they give any focus to the 2nd stringgers like parks, volkar or brody.

Comment

They're spending less time fleshing out the characters if that's what you mean, but I wouldn't say the stories are any less character driven. In the space of three episodes the characters have grown quite a lot in my opinion, Rush, Young, TJ and Telford especially.

Comment

Originally posted by ns2 View Post
                              Ya I think that's how they panned to introduce the characters so in later seasons they don't hate to stop plot
                              There's a plot?

I kid, I kid.... (Is there?)

I'm not that interested in the characters, except maybe Jin, it'd be nice to see some of her flashbacks / back story. Not just talked about to (Yawn) Wray. The rest of them, except Riley are/were a bit of a Yawn. I was born with a silver spoon, did well in school, ascended through a bureaucracy, but still couldn't tie a half hitch or square knot to save my life. I suppose a few of the others have some meat in their back story like Greer. But the old gay lady(Wray), hello neighbor to my left. The old guy cheating on his wife(Young), hello neighbor to my right. Aside from your good jobs at waste management, what makes you special?

Comment

Working...
                              X