PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something?

cjp240573
October 14th, 2010, 05:22 AM
The Destiny stopped, gave no countdown clock so they could repair the seeder ship. But what got repaired? they went over, had a look around some of the ship, found that it was packed full of energy, tried to dial Earth, got stopped by the Aliens. The ship then started draining Destiny's power (obviously by the Aliens), Rush separated the ships, then Destiny warped off into FTL.. So at what stage did Destiny think that the repair job had finished....?? and what did it think they did?

Confused.com

blade7gr
October 14th, 2010, 05:26 AM
ancients.. who knows wtf the automaticly repairs

Nathan Reynolds
October 14th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Rush stop all that in the Brigde and sent Destiny into FTL.

Pharaoh Atem
October 14th, 2010, 05:58 AM
There was no countdown the time estimated was for how long the data transfer was going to take. But I don't remember anyone saying anything about reparing the seeder ship.

It was simple a exploration ep

blueray
October 14th, 2010, 06:43 AM
i think destiny stopped because it was copying data from the ship to see if it needed repairs. our crew just went over there on their own. then at the end rush seperated the ships and sent it into ftl

Rylor
October 14th, 2010, 06:57 AM
The countdown clock was disabled to give the crew whatever time they needed. I guess the Ancients would have repaired it (in addition to the data transfer), but since Rush was at the helm, he saw no point in staying, especially after the draining-power-from-Destiny thing, so he commanded the ship to jump back to FTL.

HyperspaceDaemon
October 14th, 2010, 06:59 AM
i think destiny stopped because it was copying data from the ship to see if it needed repairs. our crew just went over there on their own. then at the end rush seperated the ships and sent it into ftl

My impression was that dr.Rush stopped Destiny : he seemed to be the first one who knew that the 'object ahead' was an Alien ship. We know that now he can stop/restart the autopilot whenever he pleases. So it makes perfect sense that he disabled the usual FTL countdown : he wanted enough time for exploring the ship ...

FdW
October 14th, 2010, 07:28 AM
My impression was that dr.Rush stopped Destiny : he seemed to be the first one who knew that the 'object ahead' was an Alien ship. We know that now he can stop/restart the autopilot whenever he pleases. So it makes perfect sense that he disabled the usual FTL countdown : he wanted enough time for exploring the ship ...

Thats more than obvious.

AVFan
October 14th, 2010, 06:42 PM

At the end of Aftermath, Destiny drops out of FTL and Rush looks as confused as everyone- thus, Rush didn't stop Destiny.

Also, he looked for a way during Aftermath to disable to countdown but couldn't figure out how to do it; there was even a couple sentences of dialog describing this.

GLORIA: Let's see. What are you trying to do?

RUSH: Figure out how to control how long Destiny stops when it drops out of F.T.L.

Destiny stopped at the seeder-ship to collect the data it had retrieved. Rush estimated that it would jump again once it was done with the transfer, but he un-docked prematurely and jumped into FTL in order to save the last of the energy Destiny had.

Kaiphantom
October 14th, 2010, 08:06 PM
AVFan said most of it.

Destiny stopped on its own to link with the ship for a data transfer, thus disabled the clock on it's own. Presumably, it would have undocked and continued once the transfer was done. Presumably also to give time to repair the seeder ship (if Ancients had been aboard, they could have done it, and stopped the ship long enough to get it done). But if no Ancients were aboard, then it would have been pointless to stay after the data transfer.

Rush unhooked the ship to stop the energy transfer, Destiny figured things were done and started up the clock again (Young seemed to be aware of how long they had until a jump). Destiny jumped again a short time later.

morbosfist
October 14th, 2010, 08:16 PM
A few things bear correcting, though.

At the end of Aftermath, Destiny drops out of FTL and Rush looks as confused as everyone- thus, Rush didn't stop Destiny.Rush probably didn't stop Destiny, but he was not surprised when it did stop. He was surprised when that bit of data came on the screen, presumably indicating that the seed ship was in range, but otherwise he knew exactly what was going on.

Also, he looked for a way during Aftermath to disable to countdown but couldn't figure out how to do it; there was even a couple sentences of dialog describing this.The dialog is in reference to extending the countdown, not disabling it. Doing that would expose his control of the ship.

Destiny stopped at the seeder-ship to collect the data it had retrieved. Rush estimated that it would jump again once it was done with the transfer, but he un-docked prematurely and jumped into FTL in order to save the last of the energy Destiny had.Volker actually made that guess. Rush didn't comment on it.

Shadow_7
October 14th, 2010, 08:22 PM
The goal was a transfer of data IMO. Remember that for the most part Destiny is still on auto pilot. The ship was disabled, so there was no repair mechanism. And as far as we know Rush still doesn't have control over how long Destiny stays at the bus stops.

As far as the power thing, for all we know right now, that surplus of power is supplied by the alien pods, not the seed ship. It doesn't make sense that the seed ship would have that much power being smaller than Destiny. Granted that it has to do more work (manufacturing) and not just travel between bus stops. But I do wonder why it doesn't have the same life support issues that Destiny had given that it is smaller and older. Perhaps the browns were fixing it per say to claim as their own. Like the Valla of SGU.

Kaiphantom
October 14th, 2010, 08:37 PM
A few notes.

Rush probably didn't stop Destiny, but he was not surprised when it did stop. He was surprised when that bit of data came on the screen, presumably indicating that the seed ship was in range, but otherwise he knew exactly what was going on.

Seems logical, but I think he was just as surprised as anyone when Destiny stopped. Remember, he's a very logical person, and his predictions were entirely possible from a logical perspective.

The dialog is in reference to extending the countdown, not disabling it. Doing that would expose his control of the ship.

By turning off the auto-pilot, yes, but he was very concerned about doing that since there was so much he didn't understand about the process. I suspect that, even after the crew finds out about the bridge, they'll leave the auto-pilot on for the same reasons. Or it could be a plot point later on; they turn off the auto-pilot and bad things happen.

Volker actually made that guess. Rush didn't comment on it.

Regardless, it's a very logical point; after losing that much power, they needed a star asap. Delaying would have been bad, regardless of whether or not Rush made the ship jump. And given that the clock was in play, it seemed the ship made the decision to jump.

morbosfist
October 14th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Seems logical, but I think he was just as surprised as anyone when Destiny stopped. Remember, he's a very logical person, and his predictions were entirely possible from a logical perspective.True, but in this case his knowledge of the docking procedure was clearly foreknowledge. His conversation with Young makes that clear.

By turning off the auto-pilot, yes, but he was very concerned about doing that since there was so much he didn't understand about the process. I suspect that, even after the crew finds out about the bridge, they'll leave the auto-pilot on for the same reasons. Or it could be a plot point later on; they turn off the auto-pilot and bad things happen.Definitely.

Regardless, it's a very logical point; after losing that much power, they needed a star asap. Delaying would have been bad, regardless of whether or not Rush made the ship jump. And given that the clock was in play, it seemed the ship made the decision to jump.This does make sense. Rush probably didn't have to tell the ship to jump as long as the auto-pilot is still on. The question is: how long would the ship have stayed of its own accord? Volker's guess is reasonable, but we don't know for sure.

Shadow_7
October 14th, 2010, 10:57 PM
We know that Destiny probably has a greater mission. And given that there's been delays of late. Sabotage, Faith, Season 2, it's a fair bet that Destiny is now behind schedule.

And now that the seeder ships are potential power sources for going home, they might kick it in gear and express lane it past a few bus stops.

Wayston
October 15th, 2010, 12:51 AM
We know that Destiny probably has a greater mission. And given that there's been delays of late. Sabotage, Faith, Season 2, it's a fair bet that Destiny is now behind schedule.

And now that the seeder ships are potential power sources for going home, they might kick it in gear and express lane it past a few bus stops.

I don't think a few days/weeks delay is going to do much on a million years+ mission. The ancients must have accounted for accidents and wear and tear in the calculation of their timetable

SGeff
October 15th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Destiny is not stopped because the seed ship needs to be repaired. It is possible because Eli or other scientist except Rush "told" Destiny they need power to get to Earth, so Destiny stopped let them to have the power. Or there are datas containing Ancient technology, it could help the crew controls Destiny. Anything is possible.

ns2
October 15th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Rush knew something was going to happen but I doubt that he stopped the ship

This data transfer is prob how Destiny gets update on the updated stargate networks and were to get material that it will need

Kaiphantom
October 15th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Rush knew something was going to happen but I doubt that he stopped the ship

This data transfer is prob how Destiny gets update on the updated stargate networks and were to get material that it will need

No, information on the gates and planets the seeder ships have passed (and seeded gates on) is relaying back through subspace to Destiny to help plot the course. In that light, I'm not entirely sure what why Destiny needed to dock with a seeder ship to get data, but perhaps there's a ton of data the seeder ships collect but don't send back. Also, Destiny probably has some inkling people are on board, and if it caught up to a seeder ship, that means there was probably something wrong with it, so a protocol was tripped to dock with it and let the humans possibly attempt to fix it.

After all, if all the seeder ships get taken out, that means no more gates.

Misfits
October 15th, 2010, 03:25 PM

Actually, if you go back to the previous episode, Rush wonders why there are no gated planets coming up ahead.
Additionally, when Rush went to search for Scott, Greer, Eli, and Cloe, he stated 'Who would have thought Destiny skipped so many gated planets'.
So, if Destiny follows a corridor of gated planets, why would Destiny follow this path where there are no gated planets?
The only logical conclusion is that Destiny got a signal that a Seeder ship was ahead, waiting to dock, so took a detour to meet up with it.
From the time Rush dropped Destiny out of FTL to send a shuttle to the planet with non-functioning gate, it took Destiny 6 hours to meet up with the seeder ship.
In the scope of Destiny travel, that would be a short detour.

Lionheart325
October 15th, 2010, 03:50 PM
My take is that Autopilot was taking them there anyway. I think Rush just knew it was coming and what was going to happen.

What I don't think add's up is the fact that it was just a simple data transfer. I mean it's mentioned somewhere else that it use's a subspace link with the other seeder ships to "communicate" data on their course, and to outline seeded planets for destiny to stop by at. So why does it need to physically link up for a simple data transfer? Either the subspace relay is also broken, or there was something more in it and that it was downloading more than just data into the Destinys memory banks...

smart
October 15th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Although this was the theory ,the FTL timer went back on when Rush used the bridge to disconnect Destiny from the ship[ there may be debate as to whether he did it to prevent Destiny from loosing more power than it had before or if he thought the re diversion of power back to Destiny from the seed ship would actually work and they would return to earth]. This way all transfers were terminated and the ship continued with the time.

Shadow_7
October 15th, 2010, 08:54 PM
What I don't think add's up is the fact that it was just a simple data transfer.

It could be that the data transferred is of a nature that it shouldn't be transferred via subspace link. Communication logs of alien species and the likes. Helps to keep it to a more just passing through, nothing to see here mode of operation. More stuff than just gate count and locations. Or maybe the seed ships databanks were full and needed to do a data dump to destiny to have some workspace to carry on with it's mission.

It could also be that the seed ships are powered BY Destiny and not the other way around for gating home. And otherwise keeps the sun tech out of the hands of those who would encounter the otherwise disposable and numerous seed ships. Destiny could sun dive several times and top off a seed ship so it could be simplified. And otherwise keep the ships in range of Destiny. Despite heading out before Destiny. Otherwise it's mighty strange that a power transfer is even possible by design. And that the seed ships profile was more shuttle like than Destiny like.

Nth Chevron
October 16th, 2010, 02:15 AM
My take is that Autopilot was taking them there anyway. I think Rush just knew it was coming and what was going to happen.

What I don't think add's up is the fact that it was just a simple data transfer. I mean it's mentioned somewhere else that it use's a subspace link with the other seeder ships to "communicate" data on their course, and to outline seeded planets for destiny to stop by at. So why does it need to physically link up for a simple data transfer? Either the subspace relay is also broken, or there was something more in it and that it was downloading more than just data into the Destinys memory banks...

The Seeder ship's only send back information regarding possible planets with supplies and breathable atmospheres back to the Destiny via the subspace link, once Destiny docked with the Seed ship, EVERYTHING got transferred, its sort of the equivalent of doing a system restore and copying the data from your HDD via Bluetooth or USB

N.C

garhkal
October 16th, 2010, 03:04 AM
That may be. And i like the possibile power transfer from the destiny TO the seeder. Which would make 2-3 ahead..

Lionheart325
October 16th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Also maybe the power stored on the seeder ship was not there by design? Maybe the aliens (Furlings ftw) modified the ship to their needs and increased the power capacity.

Or it might be that the power storage system on the seeder was simply in better nick than that of Destiny and at one point they both had the same capacity. I don't know but maybe it was designed to have a larger capacity of power simply because it'd be using more of it to make gates, so to have a larger storage would mean fewer gas stops.

It might also just be something convienient for the writers to simply have a good story line in terms of a possible way back home, someone to step up to the mark only to get left behind and Destiny is back where it originally was.

Nth Chevron
October 17th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Destiny is only operating on 40% of max power reserves

N.C

Shadow_7
October 18th, 2010, 03:23 PM
And a seed ship is less than 40% of Destiny's girth. Not that Destiny's power reserves occupy 50% or more of the ship, but still. Economies of scale. Plus the manufactureing task probably affords the seed ship new-ish power units. Or the power surplus was entirely alien pod derived. Or alien upgrades.

garhkal
October 19th, 2010, 03:32 AM
It looked more like it was closer to being around 60% of the destinies size.

Shadow_7
October 19th, 2010, 07:36 AM
The hud seemed to show it less than 1/2 the length of Destiny. And since it kept the same chevron looking shape (to scale) would make it much less than 1/2 it's size. Plus there's no giant pyramid thing on it. Even at 1/2 size, the power requirement to make it move is much less.

garhkal
October 21st, 2010, 02:54 AM
I was basing my interpretaton on the outside views..