PDA

View Full Version : Alien Pods

wolverine_nl
October 13th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Those alien pods.... i was thinking about a few things...
They looked like a part of the system of the ship...are those aliens the maintenance crew of that seedership??
They were only defending 'their' ship from being drained of power and did only stun, not kill.
The way Telford is gonna come back is by learning their language or teach them english and have a few answers for us curious folks ;)

Spimman
October 13th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I'm guessing that is how the Shorty Aliens sleep, maybe it is warmer or colder with different humidity and other environmental controls. I'm thinking the aliens will at learn learn to understand English but it is a stretch to assume they eve have the ability to communicate vocally as we do...but it seems to happen more often than not.

UniverseSizePlotHole
October 13th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Whatever they awoke from it seemed they had summoning sickness!

Alien encounter
October 13th, 2010, 11:19 AM
they are most probably sleeping pods, i am not expecting dragon ball z stuff here. :D

Spimman
October 13th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Whatever they awoke from it seemed they had summoning sickness!

You don't think he was faking it just to see how we would respond? I'm not sure what to think.

Benr96
October 13th, 2010, 11:37 AM
ye i was thinking the same thing as u were, i think now the seeder ship will catch up and the only reason the maintenance crew didnt fix the problem was because they were in their pods wen it hapened and wen they activated the consoles it woke them so now they will b able to fix it and catch up

or maybe they were a defence crew and their pods were designed to open once someone came aboard, to prevent other aliens taking it over.

but then i dont see why they arent on destiny if that is true , maybe because the ship is damged and they were in a place exposed to space or are the other end of the ship and the signal to open the pods hasnt been sent bcause of damaged wiresor someting

Shai Hulud
October 13th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Those alien pods.... i was thinking about a few things...
They looked like a part of the system of the ship...are those aliens the maintenance crew of that seedership??
They were only defending 'their' ship from being drained of power and did only stun, not kill.
The way Telford is gonna come back is by learning their language or teach them english and have a few answers for us curious folks ;)

Id agree, the Brownies appear to have been placed upon the seed ship by the Ancients as some form of crew by the looks of it :)

thekillman
October 13th, 2010, 11:45 AM
since it's an industrial ship which doesn't appear to be meant for constant manning, i doubt there are Quarters. i think these pods act like quarters (min-quarters). also, i think the aliens got onboard and when they figured out they couldn't repair the ship, they went in stasis

Shai Hulud
October 13th, 2010, 11:49 AM
The front of the pods look ancient in design though?

Spimman
October 13th, 2010, 11:54 AM
I didn't think so, I didn't see any indication these aliens had been on the ship since the time of the Ancients. They looked a lot like the Blue Aliens so I think assuming they are from a similar region of the galaxy is a fairly safe assumption.

Blistna
October 13th, 2010, 11:54 AM
ye i was thinking the same thing as u were, i think now the seeder ship will catch up and the only reason the maintenance crew didnt fix the problem was because they were in their pods wen it hapened and wen they activated the consoles it woke them so now they will b able to fix it and catch up

or maybe they were a defence crew and their pods were designed to open once someone came aboard, to prevent other aliens taking it over.

but then i dont see why they arent on destiny if that is true , maybe because the ship is damged and they were in a place exposed to space or are the other end of the ship and the signal to open the pods hasnt been sent bcause of damaged wiresor someting

Who says they aren't on the ship all ready? For all we know, they are there but either hiding or only come out when needed. Or maybe the system to wake them is broken. Who knows? But if they were created by the ancients, they would speak a language rush would know -- Ancient. And they didn't.

zainea13
October 13th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Who says they aren't on the ship all ready? For all we know, they are there but either hiding or only come out when needed. Or maybe the system to wake them is broken. Who knows? But if they were created by the ancients, they would speak a language rush would know -- Ancient. And they didn't.

After millions of years they would no longer speak a language that sounded anything like ancient. Try reading Middle English for example, you will have trouble. Old english, very doubtful you will understand anything. And that is only 1,000 years.

gravityStar
October 13th, 2010, 12:24 PM
The front of the pods look ancient in design though?
Nope, did not look ancient. The ornamental design on the pods was curvy, ellipsoid like. Ancient ornamentals primarily have corners, not curves. And preferably 135° corners (or 45°, depending on your point of view). Ancient design has a certain crystalline snowflake quality to it.

thekillman
October 13th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I didn't think so, I didn't see any indication these aliens had been on the ship since the time of the Ancients. They looked a lot like the Blue Aliens so I think assuming they are from a similar region of the galaxy is a fairly safe assumption.

it's a different galaxy entirely.

then again, given the Blue's FTL capacity, i doubt it's beyond them to colonize several galaxies. it could be assumed that the Browns are far decedents of the Blues (or vice versa)

Shai Hulud
October 13th, 2010, 12:33 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/vhaoi9.jpg

Sami_
October 13th, 2010, 12:41 PM
since it's an industrial ship which doesn't appear to be meant for constant manning, i doubt there are Quarters. i think these pods act like quarters (min-quarters). also, i think the aliens got onboard and when they figured out they couldn't repair the ship, they went in stasis

If that is true how did they suddenly fly away at the end of the episode in a supposebly unrepaired ship which according to the scientists on Destiny had a LOT of power.

mi_guard
October 13th, 2010, 12:45 PM
If that is true how did they suddenly fly away at the end of the episode in a supposebly unrepaired ship which according to the scientists on Destiny had a LOT of power.

maybe I got something wrong, but wasn't it DESTINY flying away in FTL and not the seeder ship?

Shai Hulud
October 13th, 2010, 12:48 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/1zzsufd.jpg

Sami_
October 13th, 2010, 12:51 PM
maybe I got something wrong, but wasn't it DESTINY flying away in FTL and not the seeder ship?

Hm that may be true, why the hell did Rush fly away? seems like a pretty bad plothole.

zainea13
October 13th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Hm that may be true, why the hell did Rush fly away? seems like a pretty bad plothole.

because it would have been suspicioius for him to re-attach

Back to the pods: Ancient design most certainly has curves in it. Look at the Stargates, Atlantis is further down in time, Kind of like how our architechture has changed since the Romans. And throughout destiny you can find similar designs to those found on the stargate and DHD ... While the Goa'uld incorporated these designs, like the US has done with Roman Architecture creating the Federal style, they weren't the original creators of the design.

Shai Hulud
October 13th, 2010, 12:59 PM

Back to the pods: Ancient design most certainly has curves in it. Look at the Stargates, Atlantis is further down in time, Kind of like how our architechture has changed since the Romans. And throughout destiny you can find similar designs to those found on the stargate and DHD ... While the Goa'uld incorporated these designs, like the US has done with Roman Architecture creating the Federal style, they weren't the original creators of the design.

Thing is its suspicious that they disconnected anyways, Rush has already given the game away as to his knowledge of the control of the ship, he's too busy having his moral moment with Gloria's avatar to stop them jumping?

Good point re: the changes in design over the ages.

Sami_
October 13th, 2010, 01:06 PM

That doesn't address why he would jump to FTL, he could have just unattached the ship and stuck around until they figured out how to get Telford back - use a shuttle maybe?

KEK
October 13th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Surely the ship would have jumped automatically to refuel?

dtape
October 13th, 2010, 01:30 PM
use a shuttle maybe?
The 2 shuttles on Destiny that we know about have been left behind. So unless there are some on the Seeder ship, unlikely

jsonitsac
October 13th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I was thinking they were some type of stasis pod.

NormaN
October 13th, 2010, 06:12 PM
That doesn't address why he would jump to FTL, he could have just unattached the ship and stuck around until they figured out how to get Telford back - use a shuttle maybe?

Destiny has no more shuttles.

pipi
October 14th, 2010, 02:16 AM
I don't believe the aliens were planted by the Ancients. Those pods look as if they were installed after the ship was launched, different technology and arranged adhoc. It does not make sense that they were in statis if the ship had power reserves enough to generate a wormhole back to Earth. They were probably sleeping, and got woken up in the middle of the night all groggy. The first alien went to check wtf was going on, but when he didn't return his buddies started to panic, and get weapons.

wolverine_nl
October 14th, 2010, 04:13 AM
I don't believe the aliens were planted by the Ancients. Those pods look as if they were installed after the ship was launched, different technology and arranged adhoc. It does not make sense that they were in statis if the ship had power reserves enough to generate a wormhole back to Earth. They were probably sleeping, and got woken up in the middle of the night all groggy. The first alien went to check wtf was going on, but when he didn't return his buddies started to panic, and get weapons.
There has to be more behind this, cause why didn't they kill them, only stun? The architecture of the pods looks familiar though...
Maybe the ancients themselves used the pods and the aliens are now using them.

pipi
October 14th, 2010, 04:43 AM
There has to be more behind this, cause why didn't they kill them, only stun? The architecture of the pods looks familiar though...
Maybe the ancients themselves used the pods and the aliens are now using them.

Who knows about the stun part. Could be the only weapon they have on board or maybe they are peace loving aliens or a bunch of geeky alien nerds with no balls to kill anything.

Interesting idea about the ancient pods; even though the seeder ships are unmanned for the voyage, during their construction and testing phase, they would require real Ancients to run them and maybe have temporary sleeping quaters.

garhkal
October 14th, 2010, 05:14 AM

Or the room they were in (THE DOME ROOM) was opened to space and tey got sucked out!

They didn't.. They destiny flew away.

Thing is its suspicious that they disconnected anyways, Rush has already given the game away as to his knowledge of the control of the ship, he's too busy having his moral moment with Gloria's avatar to stop them jumping?

Young was calling to get rush to the control room to do just that though, disconnect!

Surely the ship would have jumped automatically to refuel?

That is a good possibility.

Ed
October 17th, 2010, 12:57 PM
They only stunned because they cant communicate and killing would be damned evil.

as for communication with telford I would like to see it go the district 9 route they can understand each other but not speak each others languages. Also they can probably read and write ancient.

morsu
October 17th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Some people have suggested that Rush can speak Ancient.

Why?

He Might Know how to read it but that is a long way off speaking it.
None of the ancients we have met have ever spoken it to us, they have always used english.
We heard Jack speak only a few words when he was under the influence. I dout if Daniel fully understands the Languge himself, He might but only in a limited form.
So how the hell would Rush Speak it?

morbosfist
October 17th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Some people have suggested that Rush can speak Ancient.

Why?

He Might Know how to read it but that is a long way off speaking it.
None of the ancients we have met have ever spoken it to us, they have always used english.
We heard Jack speak only a few words when he was under the influence. I dout if Daniel fully understands the Languge himself, He might but only in a limited form.
So how the hell would Rush Speak it?Daniel has a perfect understanding of Ancient, and we've seen characters who have learned to speak it.

tomstone
October 18th, 2010, 12:36 AM
The Pod thing makes every explenation weird.

Why?
Considering they were put there by the Ancients, then no matter how long they live, the pods wont hold them alive forever. Therefor a little bad considering that the Seederships are very Important to Destiny. If they were supposed to be the mechanics of the Seeder, then why didnt they wake up earlier? We have no idea how long the Seeder was stuck there.

If they were a Alien race that came later on board, then how? They found the Seedership in their Galaxy and decided to investigate. Even if they found a way in, why put x of their People on board in Stasis? A Priority would be either to stop the ship or get off, but not crawl into the stasis pods for a unknown time and see where its going.

Also they were working on the consoles pretty efficiently, very impressive for a Race who has no connection to the language or the Design of the Ship.

morsu
October 18th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Daniel has a perfect understanding of Ancient, and we've seen characters who have learned to speak it.

He might have a perfect understanding on how to read it but that still does not mean that he ca speak it fluently.

Other than Oma the Ancients looked down on him and would have spoken to him in English in my opinion. Daniel basically learned to read the language himself and had little to do with his ascension. plus daniel had most of his memory as an ascended wiped although he is slowly regaining it.

Anyone can decifer a written language given enough time but learning to speak it is another story. You need reference. You need to hear it spoken out loud to hear how to pronounce words, consanants, vowels, etc, etc.
Most of all you need practice and a wide range of subjects.

I see people all the time Who say that they can speak Italian for instance, they have learnt it out of a book and had some crude tapes to listen to but when you actualy start speaking to them in that language they haven't got a clue.
My Italian is by no means perfect either.

Who are these other Characters that have learnt to speak it?

morbosfist
October 18th, 2010, 03:45 PM
He might have a perfect understanding on how to read it but that still does not mean that he ca speak it fluently.He can perfectly translate Jack's spoken Ancient, so he can speak it just as easily as he can read it.

Other than Oma the Ancients looked down on him and would have spoken to him in English in my opinion. Daniel basically learned to read the language himself and had little to do with his ascension. plus daniel had most of his memory as an ascended wiped although he is slowly regaining it.Daniel learned the language by virtue of being ascended. This is a huge plot point after he returns to human form.

Anyone can decifer a written language given enough time but learning to speak it is another story. You need reference. You need to hear it spoken out loud to hear how to pronounce words, consanants, vowels, etc, etc.
Most of all you need practice and a wide range of subjects.Unless you had it downloaded into your head. It's a nice shortcut.

Who are these other Characters that have learnt to speak it?Mitchell interviews one in the season 9 premiere when trying to recruit a new SG1 team.

Shadow_7
October 18th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Jacks mind meld had him speaking ancient. With Daniels translation based on a variation of latin. Perhaps not perfectly, but good enough via trial and error.

I think the pods are just stasis pods. To meet the gate builders? I could be that the ship was vacuumed to space during normal operations. And life support was only activated when Destiny docked with the ship. They were speaking and had a language. So I guess we'll find out more later. I doubt the pods were original equipment, so likely locals to the regions +/- a couple galaxies. I doubt it was designed for them, they were pretty short relative to the consoles.

morsu
October 18th, 2010, 05:57 PM
He can perfectly translate Jack's spoken Ancient, so he can speak it just as easily as he can read it.

Daniel learned the language by virtue of being ascended. This is a huge plot point after he returns to human form.

Unless you had it downloaded into your head. It's a nice shortcut.

Mitchell interviews one in the season 9 premiere when trying to recruit a new SG1 team.

As someone else pointed out those translations were based on latin.

Maybe he did learn it by the way of ascention That is still up for speculation as we have never heard him speak it.
He did also have most of his memory wiped.

With the exception of Daniel it is pretty arogant to assume you can speak a language that has not been spoken on earth for at least a 10 thousand years.
Typical of Nerds who think they no everything.

morbosfist
October 18th, 2010, 06:01 PM
As someone else pointed out those translations were based on latin.The first time, not the second.

Maybe he did learn it by the way of ascention That is still up for speculation as we have never heard him speak it.
He did also have most of his memory wiped.But again, right after he took human form, he could instinctively understand Ancient without even recognizing the language. You're telling me he can't speak it if he perfectly understands it?

With the exception of Daniel it is pretty arogant to assume you can speak a language that has not been spoken on earth for at least a 10 thousand years.
Typical of Nerds who think they no everything.That's just dismissing the obvious. She can speak it, and demonstrates it several times (to Mitchel''s annoyance).

Trinary
October 18th, 2010, 06:18 PM
On this new galaxy, the Pulsar and the alien Pods probably had a connection. Next is Pathogen.

morsu
October 18th, 2010, 06:26 PM
morbosfist;11994229]The first time, not the second.

He was still only translateing.

But again, right after he took human form, he could instinctively understand Ancient without even recognizing the language. You're telling me he can't speak it if he perfectly understands it?

He was reading it.

I can read any number of languages and have a basic understanding of them but that is a far cry from speaking them.

That's just dismissing the obvious. She can speak it, and demonstrates it several times (to Mitchel''s annoyance).

That might work in sci fi but is just bull**** in real life. To be able to speak a language properly you need to be taught by someone who speaks it correctly. what are you saying that an ancient taught them? what a load of crap.

morbosfist
October 18th, 2010, 06:45 PM
He was still only translateing.

He was reading it.

I can read any number of languages and have a basic understanding of them but that is a far cry from speaking them.

That might work in sci fi but is just bull**** in real life. To be able to speak a language properly you need to be taught by someone who speaks it correctly. what are you saying that an ancient taught them? what a load of crap.Now you just don't want to admit what's apparent. Yes, it's total nonsense for them to be speaking a dead language, just like it's nonsense for everyone to speak English. Yet it's true. Who do think would have provided the lessons for a random soldier to learn spoken Ancient?

morsu
October 18th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Now you just don't want to admit what's apparent. Yes, it's total nonsense for them to be speaking a dead language, just like it's nonsense for everyone to speak English. Yet it's true. Who do think would have provided the lessons for a random soldier to learn spoken Ancient?

You have lost the plot.

morbosfist
October 18th, 2010, 07:44 PM
You have lost the plot.Honestly not sure how to respond to that. If you're referring to the "who taught them" part, I meant Daniel, not a living Ancient.

TrueAncient
October 18th, 2010, 07:56 PM

rush went to Destiny's bridge and dis-engadged to stop the power transfer. they will stop at a Sun to refill of energy

garhkal
October 19th, 2010, 02:43 AM
That's just dismissing the obvious. She can speak it, and demonstrates it several times (to Mitchel''s annoyance).

I loved watching Mitchell sqirm when she was speaking.

SGU1
November 2nd, 2010, 04:23 PM
A lot of you been saying That the ancients put them aliens on board. But we seem in Stargate Atlantis after being in stasis for about 10,000 years the human bodies are almost dead. And the seed ships are about 1 million years old or more.