This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claudia Black talks Stargate & Farscape

Snurched from the lovely people at www.watchfarscape.com.

Link to a new interview with Claudia Black.

It appears it was done after the announcement about Ben joining the cast of Stargate, but before the confirmation that Claudia would be in five episodes in S9.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/farscape/i...k2/index.shtml

*Note that in the bits about Farscape there are spoilers for the miniseries.*

Some excerpts concerning Stargate...

What was it like playing Vala on Stargate?
    I found it interesting. I only did my scenes with Michael Shanks, I didn't really meet any of the other actors, but I found that he was, professionally, very similar to Ben.

They were very open-minded on the set about the banter between me and Michael and what we could improvise if required, but it was a very well-written episode.

And there's a possibility you might reprise the character?
    It was funny because the crew said to me at the time, "Your character doesn't die in this episode, so you might come back," and they're very consistent in Stargate, they do bring a lot of guest characters back.

So there's definitely the scope for Vala, and I'll be interested to see what they come up with. And I'll be very interested to see Ben and Micheal Shanks working together.

If both you and Ben end up working on Stargate, there'll be a campaign to have you acting opposite each other within moments.
    Oh god! That's a really frightening prospect.

Won't 50 per cent of the shippers want the dynamic to be exactly what they know and love from Farscape? I don't know, maybe 100% will be hoping it's the same dymanic, and I don't know how I feel about that. What an interesting propect!

I would work with Ben in an absolute heartbeat. What I would like to do is test my range and his range, which I know goes way beyond the scope of what we were doing. Farscape gave us a lot of scope and a lot of opportunity to try many different things - the blind episode, the crazy episode. But I'd love to test our respective ranges.

For me, as an actor, I really want to get into a realm where I'm taking huge risks, and I know that I can do that with no one more so than with Ben, so if the opportunity arose for me to go back, work on Stargate, and work closely with Ben, I'd really want to mix it up a bit and have a play.

Do you think science fiction is challenging for actors?
    I still think sci fi actors are underestimated by audiences who may not know what's requried of them. They work even faster on Stargate than we did on Farscape, but Stargate often get their scripts on time [giggles].There's a reason why Patrick Stewart was hired to do the job that he did, even though he came from a Shakespearian background. You have to understand how to play the stakes for heightened drama, and you learn that or die in theatre. While it's a little bit safer on television or on a film set to call cut and go again, you don't have the time, so a disciplined actor is really going to save the producer time and money if they can be a one-take wonder.

So it takes someone with high intelligence and dedication and a lot of discipline.
    Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Nice interview with Ms. Black. She's very complimentarg of the SG gang. From this scaper's perspective, that's good enough for me!

Comment

Plus she's Australian and that's pretty damn cool.

Comment

Originally posted by D.C.
          Plus she's Australian and that's pretty damn cool.
          very cool

very intersting artical about Vala

CLAUDIA BLACK joins SG-1

Claudia Black will appear in at least five episodes of STARGATE SG-1 as a character named Vala, reports SCI FI Wire. Vala will be introduced in the 12th episode of season eight ("Prometheus Unbound"), which airs in January.

The executive producer of the show, Robert C. Cooper, praised Claudia's acting. "It will air in January [28]," Cooper said in an interview. "It'll be the second episode back in our run on SCI FI. And we thought she was absolutely wonderful. The character really worked out. She had wonderful chemistry with Michael Shanks. She plays opposite [Shanks'] Daniel Jackson in the episode."

Black will return in five season nine episodes. "We are having to ... deal with a brief absence of Carter, [played by] Amanda Tapping, who's pregnant," Cooper said. "And we had already discussed a storyline that involved the return of Vala, ... the character played by Claudia. And so we thought it worked perfectly to have that sort of miniarc play out maybe while Amanda was less available to us."

Cooper also added that she will play several scenes with Ben Browder. "She's [a] human from another planet," he said. "And she's a bit of ... an enigma. You're not quite sure what her true story is in the episode 'Prometheus Unbound.' She's a bit of a rogue who tells a long story about her planet and her people and her past, and then in the end you're not really quite sure whether it's true or not. So she's a bit of a wild card. She's a very ... sexy character, who isn't afraid to take whatever ... she wants in any given situation. And we had a lot of fun writing the role, and I know she had a lot of fun playing it, and we're going to try very hard to maintain the integrity of that character and still have her sort of join up with the team, but still sort of keep the essence of that wonderful friction that went on between her and Daniel, and I'm sure it'll continue to sort of play out with the rest of the characters as well."

Comment

Working...
          X