PDA

View Full Version : The Buried Gate

morsu
October 9th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Did anyone notice that the gate was burried horizontally.
Yet they managed to get it into the upright position pretty easily.
That is one heck of a feat for a few poeple considering how heavy the gate is and they had no equipmet for a lift.

escyos
October 9th, 2010, 03:15 AM
i think it fell over in its platform and could be turned back up easily.

Shai Hulud
October 9th, 2010, 03:22 AM
That is one heck of a feat for a few poeple considering how heavy the gate is and they had no equipmet for a lift.

been done in numerous other threads, someone posted up pictures, if you look closely you can see it is burried vertically not horizontally. Greer was standing on the apex of the arch of the gate.

Mike.
October 9th, 2010, 03:52 AM
The gate is vertical. Here's some screecaps:

[click the images for full size]

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd306/Mike_M404/resized/vlcsnap-2010-10-09-13h27m01s33.png (http://www.divshare.com/image/12788760-40d)

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd306/Mike_M404/resized/vlcsnap-2010-10-09-13h27m23s250.png (http://www.divshare.com/image/12788761-ffa)

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd306/Mike_M404/resized/vlcsnap-2010-10-09-13h28m51s87.png (http://www.divshare.com/image/12788762-fa6)

MattSilver 3k
October 9th, 2010, 04:41 AM
No. Just no. I did not notice it was buried horizontally. I noticed it was buried vertically. I honestly have no idea how people noticed otherwise - even if I didn't see the evidence of Greer standing on top of the ring or whatever, I would think it would just be more logical to the viewer that the four or five people digging the gate out didn't need to turn it rightways - it already was. This has really been done to death in the actual discussion thread, and here's a good picture PG15 brought in:

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy61/petergao15/SGUAftermathGateVertical2.png

Any dissenters?

xxxevilgrinxxx
October 9th, 2010, 08:34 AM
yep all the way up the thread
the gate was buried standing up, as Greer is standing on top of the ring
definitely not horizontal

Blackhole
October 9th, 2010, 09:57 AM

The Gate does seem like it was vertical. I think it would have been a far greater feat to clear away all the dirt and rocks to expose the gate than to raise it. It would require moving hundreds if not thousands of tons of dirt and rocks and would have likely taken weeks by hand. Not only would they have to excavate around the gate but away from it to prevent the earth from collapsing back around it. It could never have been done in the time they had.

Descended
October 9th, 2010, 11:16 AM
The Gate does seem like it was vertical. I think it would have been a far greater feat to clear away all the dirt and rocks to expose the gate than to raise it. It would require moving hundreds if not thousands of tons of dirt and rocks and would have likely taken weeks by hand. Not only would they have to excavate around the gate but away from it to prevent the earth from collapsing back around it. It could never have been done in the time they had.

Agreed that they cleared it a little too easily, but it could be done by hand eventually. Raising it would have been utterly impossible however. A gate weighs something like 26,000 pounds (if I remember correctly) and they would not have been able to move it under any circumstances.

They could have still used it if was face up, and then jumped into it after it dialed, but if it was face down they would have had a big problem.

Avenger
October 9th, 2010, 04:15 PM
They used explosives to speed up the process considerably. Given that it was buried in loose rock, they would have been very effective at moving a lot of the rocks every time a charge was set off.

morbosfist
October 9th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Thus proving that there are few things you cannot solve with liberal use of kaboom.

Descended
October 9th, 2010, 05:32 PM
They used explosives to speed up the process considerably. Given that it was buried in loose rock, they would have been very effective at moving a lot of the rocks every time a charge was set off.

I love when they were worried about that little bit of C4 detonating the naquadah of the gate. We have seen those things hit with comets, nuked (even a mark IX won't destroy one unless it is behind the gate to prevent the gate from absorbing the explosion), and even thrown into a star, and they kept working... that little brick of C4 wouldn't have even scratched the paint.

GoodSmeagol
October 9th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I love when they were worried about that little bit of C4 detonating the naquadah of the gate. We have seen those things hit with comets, nuked (even a mark IX won't destroy one unless it is behind the gate to prevent the gate from absorbing the explosion), and even thrown into a star, and they kept working... that little brick of C4 wouldn't have even scratched the paint.

Thats what I was thinking, uhh it survived a nuke going off inside a hive ship right beside it, which gave off enough power to make the gate jump to super size.

morbosfist
October 9th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Eli isn't working off a detailed instruction manual. He hasn't dealt with all this. All he's got to go on is Daniel's instructional videos, and I must assume Daniel simply glossed over some of the more intricate details.

Volker has slightly less of an excuse, but maybe he's a recent hire.

morsu
October 10th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Sorry my Mistake the gate was indeed Verticle.
This begs the question though because the amount of rubble that came towards the gate whether it be from any direction would have knocked the gate clean over. I don't care how sturdy the support structure is.

Maybe there was primitive life on that planet and they themselves burried the gate in rocks because they were scared.

Pharaoh Atem
October 10th, 2010, 07:44 PM
yep all the way up the thread
the gate was buried standing up, as Greer is standing on top of the ring
definitely not horizontal

quoted so hopefully people realize this.

morbosfist
October 10th, 2010, 08:00 PM
This begs the question though because the amount of rubble that came towards the gate whether it be from any direction would have knocked the gate clean over. I don't care how sturdy the support structure is.

Maybe there was primitive life on that planet and they themselves burried the gate in rocks because they were scared.Rock isn't some magic, uber-heavy element that demolishes all in its path. It's rock. It has a certain weight, exerts a certain amount of force relative to its movement speed, and so on. The Stargate is a 29+ ton ring of metal built into a platform which is also likely rather sturdy, It has to be, there's sensitive electronics in there. The gate was obviously buried in a rock slide from the nearby cliff. Since the gate is a giant open ring, there's plenty of room for the rocks to just pile up.

morsu
October 10th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Rock isn't some magic, uber-heavy element that demolishes all in its path. It's rock. It has a certain weight, exerts a certain amount of force relative to its movement speed, and so on. The Stargate is a 29+ ton ring of metal built into a platform which is also likely rather sturdy, It has to be, there's sensitive electronics in there. The gate was obviously buried in a rock slide from the nearby cliff. Since the gate is a giant open ring, there's plenty of room for the rocks to just pile up.

No disrespect to you but you are pulling that out of you ****.
That amount of rubble coming down at velocity is more than enough to throw the gate over .

I don't care what you say on the Matter.

Pharaoh Atem
October 10th, 2010, 09:04 PM
That amount of rubble coming down at velocity is more than enough to throw the gate over .

I don't care what you say on the Matter.
we dont' know how fast the rocks fell over the gate.

zainea13
October 10th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Rock isn't some magic, uber-heavy element that demolishes all in its path. It's rock. It has a certain weight, exerts a certain amount of force relative to its movement speed, and so on. The Stargate is a 29+ ton ring of metal built into a platform which is also likely rather sturdy, It has to be, there's sensitive electronics in there. The gate was obviously buried in a rock slide from the nearby cliff. Since the gate is a giant open ring, there's plenty of room for the rocks to just pile up.

If you look at the shape of the platform you can see that it isn't a very sturdy structure. It covers a small fraction of the gate and cannot hold tightly onto the gate because the whole thing must rotate.

Besides that, rock slides are extremely powerful. But you could say that it wasn't buried all at once by a rock slide but bit by bit. So that the base was covered and added more support before the rest came on top of it.

And, the explosion to uncover the gate was absolutely ridiculous. There was virtually no debris and it all went straight up. Since when does an explosion dig down that deep? Especialy since they would have had to place the charge somewhere in the center to make the desired impact. Which would have been difficult wihtout any drill since if they would have tried to remove one rock another would take its place. I hope that gets across to the reader.

morbosfist
October 10th, 2010, 09:40 PM

I don't care what you say on the Matter.Without any details on the construction of that platform, you can hardly say it must have toppled over. It's meant to hold a gate up and allow it to spin. There's obviously something more to it.

If you look at the shape of the platform you can see that it isn't a very sturdy structure. It covers a small fraction of the gate and cannot hold tightly onto the gate because the whole thing must rotate.

Besides that, rock slides are extremely powerful. But you could say that it wasn't buried all at once by a rock slide but bit by bit. So that the base was covered and added more support before the rest came on top of it.As per above, that depends on how its held in there. We're not sure just how that thing is mounted in there, or what that platform is made out of. A rock slide wouldn't automatically knock it over in any situation.

And, the explosion to uncover the gate was absolutely ridiculous. There was virtually no debris and it all went straight up. Since when does an explosion dig down that deep? Especialy since they would have had to place the charge somewhere in the center to make the desired impact. Which would have been difficult wihtout any drill since if they would have tried to remove one rock another would take its place. I hope that gets across to the reader.Agreed, this part is ridiculous. The only sensible idea is that Scott used several charges and buried them, but he'd have to go pretty deep. We never see how well it worked right off the bat, though. They were obviously going through the night. Also, you don't really need a drill. All they'd have to do is move a deep line of rocks, stick the charge, then bury the charge so the energy wouldn't just go straight up.

morsu
October 10th, 2010, 09:48 PM
we dont' know how fast the rocks fell over the gate.

Yes but for the Rocks to pile up in the manner in which they did it would require some amount of velocity.
The Cummulative effect of one rock after the other impacting the gate would be more that enough to Knock it over.
Even THough the Gate weighs 29 + tonns the stone it is set in would not be strong enough to withstand the impact.

morbosfist
October 10th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Yes but for the Rocks to pile up in the manner in which they did it would require some amount of velocity.
The Cummulative effect of one rock after the other impacting the gate would be more that enough to Knock it over.
Even THough the Gate weighs 29 + tonns the stone it is set in would not be strong enough to withstand the impact.You assume it's made of stone. It has lights and a power source somewhere in there. It therefore has to have stronger construction than mere stone like the Milky Way.

morsu
October 10th, 2010, 10:17 PM
You assume it's made of stone. It has lights and a power source somewhere in there. It therefore has to have stronger construction than mere stone like the Milky Way.

You can build lights into stone pretty easily and as we say in the past most of the Ancients ancient cities were entirely built out of stone.

morbosfist
October 10th, 2010, 10:21 PM
You can build lights into stone pretty easily and as we say in the past most of the Ancients ancient cities were entirely built out of stone.Said stone cities are newer than Destiny is, and they were only covered in stone. The innards of the machines were clearly more advanced.

morsu
October 10th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Said stone cities are newer than Destiny is, and they were only covered in stone. The innards of the machines were clearly more advanced.

Why did you get in there and have a look for yourself?
They left The ori galaxy with a space ship yet they still biult thier cities in stone otherwise they would have built atlantis style cities, built from steel, ore and alloys.
The cities would have come before destiny. You sort you living quarters out first then build more ships.

morbosfist
October 10th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Why did you get in there and have a look for yourself?
They left The ori galaxy with a space ship yet they still biult thier cities in stone otherwise they would have built atlantis style cities, built from steel, ore and alloys.
The cities would have come before destiny. You sort you living quarters out first then build more ships.Maybe the stone thing was a stylistic choice after Destiny.

morsu
October 10th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Maybe the stone thing was a stylistic choice after Destiny.

No, I would say they kept using stone because there was plenty of it and you did not have to waste your time to manufature other materials. You just had to dig it up and shape it which is essentialy what the seeder ships would do.

morbosfist
October 10th, 2010, 10:55 PM
No, I would say they kept using stone because there was plenty of it and you did not have to waste your time to manufature other materials. You just had to dig it up and shape it which is essentialy what the seeder ships would do.These are the Ancients. They made a ship to traverse the universe when they knew it would take millions of years to do its job. I think they'd be willing to waste their time making structures that provide better comfort than a hut.

Also, seeder ships do much more than just shape raw material. They have to manufacture complex internal mechanisms to make a Stargate. I think something a little more sturdy than a stone platform would be in order.

morsu
October 10th, 2010, 11:13 PM
These are the Ancients. They made a ship to traverse the universe when they knew it would take millions of years to do its job. I think they'd be willing to waste their time making structures that provide better comfort than a hut.

Also, seeder ships do much more than just shape raw material. They have to manufacture complex internal mechanisms to make a Stargate. I think something a little more sturdy than a stone platform would be in order.

Well for 1. A stone complex would make for a much more pleasant experience. Stone structures insulate agianst the cold and heat much more effectively than steel or alloys.

That is why most of the European countires still build there homes out of Brick or stone and concrete. So why would you waste your time when nature provides you with what you need?.

2. I was Talking about the Base, not the stargate itself, Of course it is more complicated.
All the base has to do is stop it from moving. the gates own weight will hold it there.

PG15
October 10th, 2010, 11:17 PM
That is why most of the European countires still build there homes out of Brick or stone and concrete. So why would you waste your time when nature provides you with what you need?.

Because then rockslides would knock the gate over? :p

I mean really. Morbosfist said it well: these are the Ancients; they can make the base however strong they want to withstand the elements for millions of years. Why use stone when there's tougher stuff?

morbosfist
October 10th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Well for 1. A stone complex would make for a much more pleasant experience. Stone structures insulate agianst the cold and heat much more effectively than steel or alloys.

That is why most of the European countires still build there homes out of Brick or stone and concrete. So why would you waste your time when nature provides you with what you need?Why do we build skyscrapers? Why make insulation and glass and all the wonderful things modern homes are made of? They've been living in a temperature-controlled spaceship. I think they'd want a slightly better standard of living.

2. I was Talking about the Base, not the stargate itself, Of course it is more complicated.
All the base has to do is stop it from moving. the gates own weight will hold it there.Except the entire gate spins. It's one thing with a immobile late-model gate. There would have to be a more complex mechanism than simply embedding the gate to make it spin freely like it does.

Mike.
October 11th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Even THough the Gate weighs 29 + tonns the stone it is set in would not be strong enough to withstand the impact.

Imagine an experiment: you're at the beach and you jam a stick in the sand to give it a vertical position. Next you grab a bunch of dry sand and you slowly push it towards the stick. The sand flows around the obstacle like a liquid and the stick stays vertical even though it gets buried.

Now imagine that that stick is actually made of metal (naquadah - so much denser than steel or lead), is perfect circle attached to another metal base. Those rocks will act just like the sand - they'll flow around the much heavier and better anchored stargate in a liquid like fashion.

zainea13
October 11th, 2010, 06:35 AM
The reason the base is weak is due to the fact it covers a very small portion of the gate. Not only that since the gate rotates it must be floating in the platform. You could say that the platform locks the gate in place when not operating. Given that, the amount of force that can be generated from say, wind blowing on the gate, is much greater than the base can withstand due to the fact more surface area is exposed to the elements.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Things break when the first (or second) action reacts with more force. And, since there is more surface area exposed creating more resistance, the base is in fact not sturdy when exposed to force.

However, that doesn't mean that it had to fall over from being covered with rocks, any number of things could have deposited the rocks there.

Generic Blue
October 11th, 2010, 07:02 AM
No. Just no. I did not notice it was buried horizontally. I noticed it was buried vertically. I honestly have no idea how people noticed otherwise - even if I didn't see the evidence of Greer standing on top of the ring or whatever, I would think it would just be more logical to the viewer that the four or five people digging the gate out didn't need to turn it rightways - it already was. This has really been done to death in the actual discussion thread, and here's a good picture PG15 brought in:

Any dissenters?

Me too, i didnt even know people thought it was buried horizontally until now

Generic Blue
October 11th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Maybe the stone thing was a stylistic choice after Destiny.

AHHH, it isnt made of stone, it is made of naquadah, which can look like stone.

Gollumpus
October 11th, 2010, 07:40 AM

Just throwing this out there: what if the rocks piled up around the gate were not from one cataclysmic event, but were rather the result of debris which was built up over a million years or so?

The rocks on this planet look rather flaky and composed of a "lighter" stone rather than being a more solid, granite type of rock. The build-up could be the result of a long period of material flaking off of the rock face and being deposited at a lower level, in this case some of it built up around the Gate.

A slower process = less strain on the Gate to remain upright. Eventually, there is enough deposits around it that they assist in keeping it upright.

regards,
G.

Edit: I see Mike was pointing out pretty much the same idea. :)

morbosfist
October 11th, 2010, 08:32 AM
The reason the base is weak is due to the fact it covers a very small portion of the gate. Not only that since the gate rotates it must be floating in the platform. You could say that the platform locks the gate in place when not operating. Given that, the amount of force that can be generated from say, wind blowing on the gate, is much greater than the base can withstand due to the fact more surface area is exposed to the elements.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Things break when the first (or second) action reacts with more force. And, since there is more surface area exposed creating more resistance, the base is in fact not sturdy when exposed to force.

However, that doesn't mean that it had to fall over from being covered with rocks, any number of things could have deposited the rocks there.If wind provided enough force to knock the gate over, why was it still standing on that dust storm planet in "Lost"? I think you're underestimating just how sturdy these things need to be. The gate needs to stay upright for hundreds of years, at least, for Destiny to catch up and use them. You don't make something that can be knocked over by a piddly rock slide if you want to be sure you can use it when you get there.

morsu
October 11th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Why do we build skyscrapers? Why make insulation and glass and all the wonderful things modern homes are made of? They've been living in a temperature-controlled spaceship. I think they'd want a slightly better standard of living.

Except the entire gate spins. It's one thing with a immobile late-model gate. There would have to be a more complex mechanism than simply embedding the gate to make it spin freely like it does.

The Ancients were not materialistic people they alway made do with what they had and only used what they needed. they were not glutenous people like us. (Remember what Chaya said to sheppards team.)

The reason we build Steel SKY Scrappers is that it is a much lighter material which is what you need when you build a Buildings like the twin towers.
No way in hell you can build a Building from stone that high. Far to heavy.
The reason they make insulation is because like i said before steel is not very good insulator.

Where starting to go around in circles now.

As for the Gate I would like to see it from the rear side to see if the back of the gate spins or if it is locked into possition. It doesn't make sense for the whole thing to spin like it does because that would make it unstable.

If it does then it would have to be locked in with quite a few rollers for support and maybe some clamps to hold onto it when it is not in use.

morsu
October 11th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Just throwing this out there: what if the rocks piled up around the gate were not from one cataclysmic event, but were rather the result of debris which was built up over a million years or so?

The rocks on this planet look rather flaky and composed of a "lighter" stone rather than being a more solid, granite type of rock. The build-up could be the result of a long period of material flaking off of the rock face and being deposited at a lower level, in this case some of it built up around the Gate.

A slower process = less strain on the Gate to remain upright. Eventually, there is enough deposits around it that they assist in keeping it upright.

regards,
G.

Edit: I see Mike was pointing out pretty much the same idea. :)

If the stone were so light the why did they resort to using Kaboom.
The stone were heavy enought to cause a problem.

morbosfist
October 11th, 2010, 07:59 PM
The Ancients were not materialistic people they alway made do with what they had and only used what they needed. they were not glutenous people like us. (Remember what Chaya said to sheppards team.)Chaya was talking about the people on the planet, not the Ancients. Clearly you and I have seen different versions of the Ancients. These are a group of people who seeded thousands of worlds with Stargates, most of which they never even used. They're the people made a city that can fly and needs a shield on 24/7 in space just to survive, rather than a far more practical starship. These are the people who made the humans of who knows how many worlds into a Civilization-style game for them to experiment with. They were the most advanced and impractical people ever to exist.

The reason we build Steel SKY Scrappers is that it is a much lighter material which is what you need when you build a Buildings like the twin towers.
No way in hell you can build a Building from stone that high. Far to heavy.
The reason they make insulation is because like i said before steel is not very good insulator.But why build them at all, if stone is so much better? That is my point.

As for the Gate I would like to see it from the rear side to see if the back of the gate spins or if it is locked into possition. It doesn't make sense for the whole thing to spin like it does because that would make it unstable.

If it does then it would have to be locked in with quite a few rollers for support and maybe some clamps to hold onto it when it is not in use.The front side of the prop is the only thing that spins in reality, but the entire gate spins in-universe.

morsu
October 11th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Chaya was talking about the people on the planet, not the Ancients. Clearly you and I have seen different versions of the Ancients. These are a group of people who seeded thousands of worlds with Stargates, most of which they never even used. They're the people made a city that can fly and needs a shield on 24/7 in space just to survive, rather than a far more practical starship. These are the people who made the humans of who knows how many worlds into a Civilization-style game for them to experiment with. They were the most advanced and impractical people ever to exist.

But why build them at all, if stone is so much better? That is my point.

The front side of the prop is the only thing that spins in reality, but the entire gate spins in-universe.

She was the Queen ding a ling on that planet, they looked up to her and she was setting the example. Her comments you could say are a direct reflection on Her and the way she thinks.

Why Build Sky Scrappers? Well its all about space and the designers Ego's most of the time, One Guy just has to out do the next.

Why did they biuld Atlantis the way they did?
Because if you had built it out of Stone you would never get it off the Ground.
Also although stone is strong, when minute vibrations go through it it start to faulter under the stress. Evan the best contruction would eventually give way.

I dont remember them showing the back part of the gate when dialling so how could you Know.

morbosfist
October 11th, 2010, 11:16 PM
She was the Queen ding a ling on that planet, they looked up to her and she was setting the example. Her comments you could say are a direct reflection on Her and the way she thinks.Which obviously doesn't reflect the Ancients as a whole.

Why Build Sky Scrappers? Well its all about space and the designers Ego's most of the time, One Guy just has to out do the next."I made a flying city" sounds like something an Ancient probably did on a bet. His buddy Ted said:
"Dude, I made this spaceship that can fly through a Stargate."

And so the Ancient was like:
"Oh yeah, well I bet you I can make that city fly."

And however long it took later:
"Pay up."

It's the kind of thing you do not because you need to, but because you can.

Why did they biuld Atlantis the way they did?
Because if you had built it out of Stone you would never get it off the Ground.
Also although stone is strong, when minute vibrations go through it it start to faulter under the stress. Evan the best contruction would eventually give way.As opposed to a snowflake-shaped hunk of metal?

I dont remember them showing the back part of the gate when dialling so how could you Know.They've shown side shots a couple of times. It's mostly shot from front angles to prevent people from noticing that only the front half is spinning.

morsu
October 12th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Which obviously doesn't reflect the Ancients as a whole.

"I made a flying city" sounds like something an Ancient probably did on a bet. His buddy Ted said:
"Dude, I made this spaceship that can fly through a Stargate."

And so the Ancient was like:
"Oh yeah, well I bet you I can make that city fly."

And however long it took later:
"Pay up."

It's the kind of thing you do not because you need to, but because you can.

As opposed to a snowflake-shaped hunk of metal?

They've shown side shots a couple of times. It's mostly shot from front angles to prevent people from noticing that only the front half is spinning.

Any Self Respecting builder who was biulding a two story house for Himself and did not have money issues would build his house out of stone and concrete over steel any day of the week. That is all I'm trying to Say.
Look at the Pyramids, they were biult on stable ground and they will outlast any steel structure our generation has made.

morbosfist
October 12th, 2010, 08:43 PM
For simple housing, yes, stone would be preferable. But when you go bigger, design standards shift.

morsu
October 12th, 2010, 10:08 PM
For simple housing, yes, stone would be preferable. But when you go bigger, design standards shift.

Yes exactly, I think were were on the same lines but just couldn't get our points across.
It is hard sometimes. face to face debate is always better because you can respond in real time.
debateing on forum can be a real pain in the ****.

Descended
October 13th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Any Self Respecting builder who was biulding a two story house for Himself and did not have money issues would build his house out of stone and concrete over steel any day of the week. That is all I'm trying to Say.
Look at the Pyramids, they were biult on stable ground and they will outlast any steel structure our generation has made.

Steel yes... but we know that the Ancients didn't build with steel, they built with a naquadah alloy which has lasted millions of years in various environments on the show. The pyramids would be eroded down to dust in that length of time from simple weathering. Entire mountains weather away, so a pile of rocks is just as susceptible. People think stone will last forever and it will last for several thousand years, but it eventually gets eaten away by water and wind. Stone structures last longer than steel because of corrosion and oxidation, but if the alloys the Ancients use do not corrode at all (or extremely extremely slowly) then they would be preferable.

I think Destiny is made of something else since we have seen signs of corrosion which were not seen on Atlantis, but then again Atlantis was inhabited until 10,000 years ago, while Destiny has been unmaintained for a million.