PDA

View Full Version : The Bridge - Discussion

KlaxxonBlue
October 6th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Interesting concept. The bridge retracts into the ship. To provide the additional protection of the hull?

Any other observations of interest?

xxxevilgrinxxx
October 6th, 2010, 07:11 AM
I guess that would explain why we've never seen it to date. Neat concept, to have it have that kind of visibility only when you want it to

Shai Hulud
October 6th, 2010, 07:12 AM
The bridge appears to have a holographic projector, that or Rush has been hallucinating again.

KlaxxonBlue
October 6th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Yeah... Since all the windows on Destiny are apparently made of Glass, instead of transparent aluminum, this would make since. They bridge is the nerve center, you don't want it taking a direct hit or anything... Everyone would be sucked right out.

KlaxxonBlue
October 6th, 2010, 07:14 AM
The bridge appears to have a holographic projector, that or Rush has been hallucinating again.

Good point. I have wondered if there isn't a projector of some sort at work. It got his wife from the interface and Franklin is in there somewhere.

Orion475
October 6th, 2010, 07:37 AM
When Rush sees Franklin he's not hallucinating, when Rush sees Gloria he's hallucinating

Gatz
October 6th, 2010, 07:45 AM
When Rush sees Franklin he's not hallucinating, when Rush sees Gloria he's hallucinating

Nice stuff you pulled out of your ass, mate.

Shai Hulud
October 6th, 2010, 08:17 AM
If you look carefully on the far left hand side as the lights come on you can see an Ancient expresso machine.

KlaxxonBlue
October 6th, 2010, 08:19 AM
If you look carefully on the far left hand side as the lights come on you can see an Ancient expresso machine.

Hardly conclusive as most of the bridge looked like a Sharper Image Espresso Machine.

Shai Hulud
October 6th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Seriously. When Rush gets something right Destiny will reward him with a shot of java. ;)

Carter's Boy
October 6th, 2010, 11:43 AM
what are the other 3 panels on top of pyramid then. (there are 4, 1 is the bridge.)

Rush said it needed at crew, i already started thinking about personnel rotations, including Riley :(. We got the bridge now, important, but what about all the Ancient crates all over the ship? gotta have supplies the Ancients would need.

i liked the idea for the stops, stop to stretch ur legs... proof of a final destination

morbosfist
October 6th, 2010, 11:45 AM
The other three may be auxiliary control centers, such as weapons.

Spimman
October 6th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I'm a Rush fan, but was not a fan in this episode. He was reckless and cost a man his life, plus the loss of the shuttle. If Rush had Eli and a few of the scientists up there they could possibly accomplish some great things.

radiosgalore
October 6th, 2010, 11:59 AM

yea i must have missed something cuz i dunno where they came from. real or not no clue but i'm liking this season a lot better than the first. we just some space battles now. we'll see what happens next week looks like it could get very interesting

Krandor
October 6th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I'm a Rush fan, but was not a fan in this episode. He was reckless and cost a man his life, plus the loss of the shuttle. If Rush had Eli and a few of the scientists up there they could possibly accomplish some great things.

However more then likely Young would have his own plans for what they should tell Destiny to do whereas Rush wants to help Destiny with its mission which Young will not want to do. So in his mind the only way to help Destiny with her mission is not to tell and he is probably right.

Young and company will find out soon especially if Rush keeps dissappearing and then things will get interesting.

I also wonder what is going to happen to the engines. Rush said in this episode the engines needed to run 4 hours each time and then twice after that he shut them down before 4 hours. That is going to have to cause problems down the road.

PG15
October 6th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I like that the bridge retracts. It's like we get to have our cake and we get to eat it too - we get to have the classic "Star Trek approach" of having the bridge be the "crown" of the ship while still preventing it from being an obvious target when it retracts.

xxxevilgrinxxx
October 6th, 2010, 01:10 PM
When Rush sees Franklin he's not hallucinating, when Rush sees Gloria he's hallucinatingand how are we sure?
Does anyone else go, hey, that's Franklin, and he's back? Because if it's just Rush seeing him, I'd bet he's hallucinating :)

If you look carefully on the far left hand side as the lights come on you can see an Ancient expresso machine. :D

I'm a Rush fan, but was not a fan in this episode. He was reckless and cost a man his life, plus the loss of the shuttle. If Rush had Eli and a few of the scientists up there they could possibly accomplish some great things.I like Rush for his flaws too :)

Demoniser
October 6th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Makes complete sense from a short term and long term viewpoint.

In the short term its protected if there is a battle when it's retracted

It's also not a big x marks the spot. Imagine if it wasn't retracted when the blue guys came across Destiny, it would be like the ship saying. "look at me alien bad guys, here's my control center, this is the best place to gain access, so attack me there!'.

In the long term, it ensure(d) that the bridge would be intact when the ancients actually arrived on the ship. Just look at the big dome with a hole in it from Air, the bridge would likely have met a similar fate if it wasn't retracted.

All of these Star Trek types that have the bridge exposed are just silly, its a bit of a carryover from old naval ships tbh. Much more viable to have it in the belly of the beast as it were.

Arwis
October 6th, 2010, 01:27 PM
All of these Star Trek types that have the bridge exposed are just silly, its a bit of a carryover from old naval ships tbh. Much more viable to have it in the belly of the beast as it were.

Stargate franchise at least have shields which can account while Star Trek.... well Star Trek commanders are too dumb to aim for nerve center to have 1 shot 1 kill.

Shadow_7
October 6th, 2010, 01:55 PM
So is there three stations and the big chair? Weapons, Shields, Navigation? Where's the ships counselor going to sit? Or number Two? I like that the chair is in the back. The commander doesn't have to watch his back as much. Which this crew is going to need.

The real question is what were they looking at / cliff hanger. Hopefully it's not a seeder ship bailout. That would be far too conveinent. Jupiter station, this is Destiny 1, we're coming in for repairs and supplies... Please have donuts and poptarts waiting. Plus a couple extra shuttles.

Cape
October 6th, 2010, 02:06 PM

I'm actually with you on this, I mean it can be totally wrong but my reasoning is Gloria is very evasive in her answers and really doesnt give rush any info he doesnt already have. Then Franklin comes outta no where and gives him real info and doesnt beat around the bush.

Again could be wrong but its what im thinking right now

Carter's Boy
October 6th, 2010, 02:26 PM
if she is an Hallucination - means she is him - why doesnt she know Dr. Franklin?

they are both ship interface devices from his time in the chair. The ship also chose the memory he used to find the code - his wife's death. Maybe the thought or sight of her calms alters his brain slightly so that the info is more clearly understood.

"part of the brain needs to be of kilter for ball players and artist" Bull Durham

Ashman
October 6th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Its nice to see all the people in Rush's head, not be angels!

KEK
October 6th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I don't think it's a coincidence that these visions only appear once he has the key to Destiny's systems and is on the bridge. I think neither of the visions, his wife nor Franklin are hallucinations.

xxxevilgrinxxx
October 6th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I don't think it's a coincidence that these visions only appear once he has the key to Destiny's systems and is on the bridge. I think neither of the visions, his wife nor Franklin are hallucinations.

I think hallucinations may be a poor choice of word - in that a hallucination in the generally accepted sense is something that doesn't exist and I do believe these things exist, just that it's something Destiny-related. So a hallucination in the sense that it is something that Rush sees, that is real, but that other people don't see. I wonder if other people would see different things.

morsu
October 6th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Hi Guys,

Been away for a while. Haven't seen the episode yet but have seen a preview.
It has been suggested that the bridge rises and falls for protection but from what i can see in the preview there is just a huge Blast Door which protects the room in case of a battle, much like the SGC has that Blast Door which comes down to protect the operations room.
The only difference is that the blast doors retracts down.

Did they actually show the bridge rise and fall?

KEK
October 6th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Yep.

morsu
October 6th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Interesting.

carterhawk
October 6th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I'm gonna say it: Ancients?

radiosgalore
October 6th, 2010, 06:40 PM
it's possible. they both seemed to come outta nowhere. but what the heck is Rush playing at hiding the fact he has full or virtually full control of Destiny? i mean come on if he can go to the bridge and do whatever arent they gonna have to form some sort of brigde crew? Young being Captain and Rush probably in charge of engineering? ok that sound very star trekkie but it's like 2.40 AM here and i'm shattered

morsu
October 6th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I'm gonna say it: Ancients?

To what are you referring? Curious.

Galileo_Galilee
October 6th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Those people appearing to Rush might be ancients.

But I'm not sure.

I personally think they are manifestations of the Destiny that are trying to figure out Rush and possibly the rest of the people on board, so it's not going to give Rush a lot of information until it determines if it can trust them or not.

zainea13
October 6th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Those people appearing to Rush might be ancients.

But I'm not sure.

I personally think they are manifestations of the Destiny that are trying to figure out Rush and possibly the rest of the people on board, so it's not going to give Rush a lot of information until it determines if it can trust them or not.

That makes sense. Gloria is always questioning him to find out his motives and what he does when given an opporunity. Then when he needs information Franklin chimes in. Kinda like the little angel and devil on his shoulders... Franklin came in when Rush needed the info, he wasn't going to find it on his own, so the ship said, "Ok, the shuttle and people on board are in danger if we don't notify him of the situation." So the ship told him what he needed, and then went back to analyzing him

Shadow_7
October 6th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Anyone notice that the door to the bridge looks more like a ga'uld ship than any other door on Destiny?

Rush keeping it a secret for now is OKAY IMO. Given the who's in charge this week scenarios we've had in the past ten or so episodes. Even this one, has Telford now claiming to be in charge. Will the real slim shady please stand up?

meo3000
October 6th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Also dont forget that if the ship is boarded, the guys on the bridge can just raise the thing and it blocks all access. You have control of the ship, you see whats going on outside and nobody can get inside. I like that.

garhkal
October 7th, 2010, 12:15 AM

Part of me agrees, but part also feels that BOTH were not hallucinations, and were the ships way of conversing with rush.

Perhaps his regret of causing the crash/riley's death forces his hand in giving info out that he has cracked the code/found the bridge.
BUT i would like to know why it had 2 doors..

So is there three stations and the big chair? Weapons, Shields, Navigation? Where's the ships counselor going to sit? Or number Two? I like that the chair is in the back

It actually looked like 3 up front, 2 near the sides and the central chair.
Weapons 1, comms 2, nav 3, tactical 4, sensors 5, something else 6...

The real question is what were they looking at / cliff hanger. Hopefully it's not a seeder ship bailout. That would be far too conveinent.

From the previews for next ep, it is..

That is an interesting point. Even after the chair we have never seen Gloria appear to rush whether as a vision, dream or otherwise.. Now all of a sudden after he access the bridge, there she is.

Did they actually show the bridge rise and fall?

Well, we see a 'square' of roof/ceiling rise up from the outside then see the windows..

Also dont forget that if the ship is boarded, the guys on the bridge can just raise the thing and it blocks all access. You have control of the ship, you see whats going on outside and nobody can get inside. I like that.

Especially if no one else even knows where it is, let alone knows the code to get in.

JustAnotherVoice
October 7th, 2010, 01:43 AM
So is there three stations and the big chair? Weapons, Shields, Navigation? Where's the ships counselor going to sit? Or number Two? I like that the chair is in the back. The commander doesn't have to watch his back as much. Which this crew is going to need.

We can probably look at the "newer" ship designs for the answers to those questions. Aurora class ships had the central command chair, then the XO would float about, probably doing the micromanagement leaving the big picture stuff to the CO, if indeed the XO was expected to be on the bridge at the same time as the CO.

I didn't get a good count of the number of stations, but it definitely had a real world naval/submarine feel, rather than the Star Trek "umbrella station" thing (or even Stargate's own "we can control every system from 2 stations" schtick) going on. I'd imagine there would be two or three stations devoted to all of the departments on the ship.

Krandor
October 7th, 2010, 05:04 AM
it's possible. they both seemed to come outta nowhere. but what the heck is Rush playing at hiding the fact he has full or virtually full control of Destiny? i mean come on if he can go to the bridge and do whatever arent they gonna have to form some sort of brigde crew? Young being Captain and Rush probably in charge of engineering? ok that sound very star trekkie but it's like 2.40 AM here and i'm shattered

Rush wants to be in charge and doesn't want to give control to Young because Young is focused on finding a way to get back and Rush wants to help Destiny with her mission. They have different goals so Rush does not want to give control to Young.

ArchaeoNerd
October 7th, 2010, 12:03 PM
I think hallucinations may be a poor choice of word - in that a hallucination in the generally accepted sense is something that doesn't exist and I do believe these things exist, just that it's something Destiny-related. So a hallucination in the sense that it is something that Rush sees, that is real, but that other people don't see. I wonder if other people would see different things.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but aren't Rush and Chloe the only ones who have seen manifestations of people who are dead or missing? Chloe interacted with the "ghost" of her father back in Season 1... I don't remember if that was before or after Rush and Chloe were captured by the Blue aliens. If it was after, perhaps the ability to interact with people who are dead or (wherever Franklin is) was another "gift" given to them by the Blueys.

ArchaeoNerd

Carter's Boy
October 7th, 2010, 12:14 PM
wasnt Chole seeing her father b/c of alien tick?

xxxevilgrinxxx
October 7th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Chloe's (as well as Rush's, Scott's, James', Greer's etc) hallucinations were all caused by alien tick venom. The only [seemingly] Destiny-driven hallucinations appear for Rush, because he sat in the chair.

It makes me wonder what Franklin would have saw, or what Young would have seen, had he ended up sitting in the chair.

ArchaeoNerd
October 7th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks for reminding me about Chloe's hallucination. I'd forgotten about the evil tick.

ArchaeoNerd

SciFiRick
October 7th, 2010, 01:43 PM

I mentioned this as my opinion in another post but consider this. Remember when McKay sunk to the bottom of the ocean in a jumper and he was sure that he was going to die. He was stressed to no end and his subconscious manifested Sam Carter who help him see and solve problems. McKay was actually solving these problem within his own mind. It is just possible with the lack of sleep, LA incursion stresses, post stress from him being tortured by Dannic & Kiva that this may be what we are seeing. I do think it is possible that the bridge/chair connection had something to do with it all but we will have to wait and see how this unfolds.

I am sure Young is already suspicious of Rush about his disappearances. You can just see it in Young's face/reactions that he doesn't believe his answers. Young just doesn't know exactly why he is lying but he is going to suspect just like he did in "Light" thinking that Rush knew that they were not going to die crashing into the sun.

fluxcapacitor
October 7th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I for one totally think rush's wife and franklin were the result of destiny. I dont know how, maybe not necessarily a hologram but maybe they the chair figured out how to mess w/rush's head as a result of the chair?

When it was only his wife i thought it was hullicination, but once franklin showed up (which i cheered out loud at!) i was definitely on board with it being destiny. I think the ship knows enough that rush is clearly not an ancient and in order to successfully follow or lead the mission it will need to be done by a TEAM of people, not a single individual. And for rush to truly come to that realization it cannot be forced upon him, he needs to figure it out for himself.

pipi
October 7th, 2010, 07:12 PM
It's going to take a long time for Rush to swallow his pride and ask for help...

blueray
October 7th, 2010, 07:59 PM

i agree. i'm hoping that rush either tells eli about the bridge, or he finds out on his own. i think it would be interesting to see two people know about it and plus it would be easier to do with help.

Carter's Boy
October 7th, 2010, 08:03 PM
yeah til ep. 208 or so

Abiron
October 7th, 2010, 08:23 PM
So...the Bridge is an extremely protected area, and requires the "command code" for any access at all. I assume that when Rush's program finished, it was designed to freeze the system in order to call his attention to itself. He gets the code from his long-running subroutine, which apparently is used to both program the "televator" and the main locking mechanism to the first (big) Bridge door. In other words, he went off with the code to find what it led to without even wondering if the area had atmosphere. Yeah, he's going a little bit crazy.

(I am guessing that the big door is both for security and a way of keeping people from the area when the Bridge is "raised.")

This means, IMHO, that no matter how many beings may have been aboard Destiny in the many, many years and galaxies since her launch, none has ever been on the Bridge. Its clean and almost new look seems to confirm this.

Looking at Destiny from above and astern, the Bridge is one of four squarish objects atop the "tower." Specifically, the forward starboard one. As others have already mentioned, this begs the question of whether or not the other three objects are also special compartments with specialized functions. My guess would be yes, but time will tell. (If this were a modern Ancient ship, I would say one was the Chair Room, but that seems highly unlikely given the primitive version we've already encountered.)

One thing that I'm curious about, now that the master code has been used and the systems are unlocked: is the Bridge the only place where full access has been granted? Are the consoles in the Apple Core still limited? And if so, is that Destiny's doing or Rush's?

One thing seems certain: With this bunch of folks, I doubt we'll ever see a full "bridge crew" all happily cooperating to fly the ship. Not any time soon, at least.

SciFiRick
October 7th, 2010, 08:37 PM
So...the Bridge is an extremely protected area, and requires the "command code" for any access at all. I assume that when Rush's program finished, it was designed to freeze the system in order to call his attention to itself. He gets the code from his long-running subroutine, which apparently is used to both program the "televator" and the main locking mechanism to the first (big) Bridge door. In other words, he went off with the code to find what it led to without even wondering if the area had atmosphere. Yeah, he's going a little bit crazy.

(I am guessing that the big door is both for security and a way of keeping people from the area when the Bridge is "raised.")

This means, IMHO, that no matter how many beings may have been aboard Destiny in the many, many years and galaxies since her launch, none has ever been on the Bridge. Its clean and almost new look seems to confirm this.

Looking at Destiny from above and astern, the Bridge is one of four squarish objects atop the "tower." Specifically, the forward starboard one. As others have already mentioned, this begs the question of whether or not the other three objects are also special compartments with specialized functions. My guess would be yes, but time will tell. (If this were a modern Ancient ship, I would say one was the Chair Room, but that seems highly unlikely given the primitive version we've already encountered.)

One thing that I'm curious about, now that the master code has been used and the systems are unlocked: is the Bridge the only place where full access has been granted? Are the consoles in the Apple Core still limited? And if so, is that Destiny's doing or Rush's?

One thing seems certain: With this bunch of folks, I doubt we'll ever see a full "bridge crew" all happily cooperating to fly the ship. Not any time soon, at least.

I am not sure what is meant by the "Apple Core". I must have missed that somewhere.

TheChronoTrigger
October 7th, 2010, 09:27 PM
if the two hallucinations are from destiny, is it possible that the one using his late wife's image isn't even aware Franklin is in the system? I really hope they do something interesting with this instead of the cliche "he's going nuts"

Abiron
October 7th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I am not sure what is meant by the "Apple Core". I must have missed that somewhere.

It's been used by some fans to refer to the "Interface Room" that's been used as the de facto command center so far. (Not terribly fond of the name myself.)

morbosfist
October 7th, 2010, 09:32 PM
The name comes from Eli, who coined it as a way to annoy Brody in the webisodes.

Shadow_7
October 7th, 2010, 09:57 PM
webisodes???

It seems like Rush is just trying to see what the bridge does and learning how to use it. Perhaps using it too much in the process of learning. Once he's familiar enough with the system. And/Or wrote a program to ensure that he can take control as he see's fit. I'm sure he'll bring others into the fold to make things work better. Although probably not until the last couple of episodes of this season IMO. Someone is going to have to train them to use the bridge. I said fire the main gun, not eject the escape pods. Besides he can't exactly convince everyone of his ability to lead if he's always talking to himself.

SciFiRick
October 7th, 2010, 10:26 PM
The name comes from Eli, who coined it as a way to annoy Brody in the webisodes.

Ahh. I didn't know there were webisodes. Where do you find them?

morbosfist
October 7th, 2010, 11:14 PM
http://stargate.mgm.com/view/character/171/index.html

Specifically, find the video "Kino 21 - The Apple Core".

Unamed
October 8th, 2010, 01:33 AM
i think that both Franklin and rush's wife are both manifested by the destiny. He has no reason to be hallusinating (ie no alien ticks, or not connected to the chair)

Furliciousy2k9
October 8th, 2010, 03:18 AM
If Gloria and Franklin was the same entity, trying to communicate with Rush I see no reason for it to not know of the other impersonation. That makes me believe that as others have said, when Rush is talking to Gloria he is hallucinating or something, but that is all him.
However when Franklin appeared I believe it was the ship trying to help Rush. But also to talk to him, see what he is about. That is something I've been thinking about ever since Air pt.1 that the ship has some sort of AI that is trying to understand these new arrivals.
So there is also a chance that when Rush was speaking to Gloria she was "the ship" specially the part were Rush asks her "Is your only purpose to question my actions?!"
A sentence that Gloria said got my attention but I don't know what to make of it really; "What makes you think I can" in response why she isn't very helpful. Something that also caught my attention was that wouldn't the someone from of the scientists realize that a new area has been given power and/or is active?

garhkal
October 8th, 2010, 05:00 AM
if the two hallucinations are from destiny, is it possible that the one using his late wife's image isn't even aware Franklin is in the system? I really hope they do something interesting with this instead of the cliche "he's going nuts"

Maybe the ships systems is using Both as a way to get through to rush.. one ethically/morally, one logically/scientifically.

Something that also caught my attention was that wouldn't the someone from of the scientists realize that a new area has been given power and/or is active?

Maybe later.. but right now i think they are all going to the observation deck to see what is coming.

blueray
October 8th, 2010, 05:36 AM
It's going to take a long time for Rush to swallow his pride and ask for help...

probably. i'm hoping that he asks eli for help. it would be interesting to see two people know about it, and not tell anyone else. at least not until later in the season.

beafly
October 8th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Bridge looked pretty cool. Kinda irritated with Rush, but what else is new.

I think in a general ship design sense, and considering the display/interface technology we've seen, there is really no reason that every station on the bridge shouldn't be able to perform every function if necessary.

Practically, you'll likely seat specialists at each station, but in a battle, if the weapons officer gets injured or something the navigation officer shouldn't have to get out of his seat to fire the weapons systems. It should be as simple as him pressing a button to call up the weapons interface and execute the commands directly from his station.

Shadow_7
October 8th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Gloria says that the bridge is the KEY to unlocking all of Destiny's systems. Which would imply that it's not directly the way to control everything. Which would probably be this is the nerve center, happy camping.

I guess I missed the webisodes since it required M$ something or other to get to the sub page. And since linux is my primary OS, there's just somethings you dismiss as maybe someday...

JustAnotherVoice
October 8th, 2010, 07:55 AM
I think in a general ship design sense, and considering the display/interface technology we've seen, there is really no reason that every station on the bridge shouldn't be able to perform every function if necessary.

Practically, you'll likely seat specialists at each station, but in a battle, if the weapons officer gets injured or something the navigation officer shouldn't have to get out of his seat to fire the weapons systems. It should be as simple as him pressing a button to call up the weapons interface and execute the commands directly from his station.

Given the layout of the bridge (i.e. how few stations there seem to be), I would imagine that the only systems directly controlled from the bridge would be navigation. Weapons and such are probably coordinated from the bridge, but given the sheer size of Destiny, I would think that individual gun batteries are directly controlled locally on a ship with more than 2 guns.

At least that would make more sense than having anyone double as the primary gunner on a practical work load level. It probably makes more sense for the captain to switch over to AI gunnery in the heat of battle.

xxxevilgrinxxx
October 8th, 2010, 08:13 AM
webisodes???

It seems like Rush is just trying to see what the bridge does and learning how to use it. Perhaps using it too much in the process of learning. Once he's familiar enough with the system. And/Or wrote a program to ensure that he can take control as he see's fit. I'm sure he'll bring others into the fold to make things work better. Although probably not until the last couple of episodes of this season IMO. Someone is going to have to train them to use the bridge. I said fire the main gun, not eject the escape pods. Besides he can't exactly convince everyone of his ability to lead if he's always talking to himself.I have a very hard time seeing Rush willingly giving up that kind of control. I can see where his hand may be forced by actions, or the concern that someone else would notice it, but willingly? I find that hard to believe.

Gloria says that the bridge is the KEY to unlocking all of Destiny's systems. Which would imply that it's not directly the way to control everything. Which would probably be this is the nerve center, happy camping.

I guess I missed the webisodes since it required M$ something or other to get to the sub page. And since linux is my primary OS, there's just somethings you dismiss as maybe someday...I think the Destiny, through Gloria and earlier Daniel, gave him hints. I have the feeling this is head-related, not hardware related and that he won't be able to control Destiny until his head is in the right place

Pharaoh Atem
October 8th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Interesting concept. The bridge retracts into the ship. To provide the additional protection of the hull?

Any other observations of interest?

no IMO it was simply a cover to the windows similar to the SG1 blast doors

morbosfist
October 8th, 2010, 07:55 PM
It wasn't a cover. The section of the hull raises visibly higher during that sequence.

Pharaoh Atem
October 8th, 2010, 07:58 PM
It wasn't a cover. The section of the hull raises visibly higher during that sequence.

oh ok. i don't pay a lot of attention when watching.

KEK
October 8th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Jamil said in an interview that Destiny absorbs consciousnesses but he's been known to get things wrong, and by the look on Alaina's face he wasn't meant to spoil it :lol:

Shadow_7
October 8th, 2010, 11:50 PM
I don't think that Rush's head will ever be in the right place. Why/how would it. You don't get off on staring at numbers and formulas all day if your head is on straight to start with. He seems generally bored with people in general. But ultimately he will have to admit to being only one man. And the ship wasn't designed for him and only him. No matter how much he wants it to be so.

mjwalshe
October 9th, 2010, 01:57 AM
Given the layout of the bridge (i.e. how few stations there seem to be), I would imagine that the only systems directly controlled from the bridge would be navigation. Weapons and such are probably coordinated from the bridge, but given the sheer size of Destiny, I would think that individual gun batteries are directly controlled locally on a ship with more than 2 guns.

At least that would make more sense than having anyone double as the primary gunner on a practical work load level. It probably makes more sense for the captain to switch over to AI gunnery in the heat of battle.

I would assume that theres a central FC center (deep in the bowels of the ship) that takes data from the sensors and assigns guns to target and compute the firing solutions.

knowles2
October 9th, 2010, 02:49 AM
You think Rush want young as Captain, that why he kept it secret, he does not trust Young or the rest of the crew. Plus it his ace up sleeve that he can pull out anytime he want to.

Shai Hulud
October 9th, 2010, 03:25 AM
I think the Destiny, through Gloria and earlier Daniel, gave him hints. I have the feeling this is head-related, not hardware related and that he won't be able to control Destiny until his head is in the right place

Destiny is testing Rush.

garhkal
October 9th, 2010, 07:09 AM
I agree, having this as is, is a big ace up his sleeve. And even if others find out what rush is up to, without the code to open the bridge up, it won't do them much good.

dacooker
October 9th, 2010, 07:59 AM
I agree, having this as is, is a big ace up his sleeve. And even if others find out what rush is up to, without the code to open the bridge up, it won't do them much good.

Episode 7 'The Greater Good', the crew finds the bridge while Rush and Young are in a alien ship on the hull.

You have to wonder if keeping it a secret, it's really an ace up the sleeve, so to speak. I mean it's cost them Riley, a shuttle and probable FTL engine damage so far.

Trinary
October 9th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Rush was portrayed rightly as a University Professor who chasing his own big discovery. But often failed to figure out the master plan behind the design. The more he access the grand secret of the Ancient, the more he fail to use his knowledge into a good use to get the solution.

Eli could make Rush feel stupid and cornered. Col. Young always get into Rush's nerve. Not the best condition to develop his character into a better person. He is the follower type person who dream of the absolute freedom to do anything. Not the right person who should not be lead or have a sense of responsibility. A common character for a head of engineering of a ship.

Shadow_7
October 9th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Destiny is testing Rush.

I agree. It seems that Destiny is evaluating Rush's fitness to command. Why else ask, what do you intend to do. After watching it for the 3rd time.

Shai Hulud
October 9th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Its interesting that, theorising under the assumption that Rush isnt going bat**** insane, the manifestation the ship is providing to him differs depending on the situation, it shows Gloria to him when they are debating moral issues and yet when something technical comes up it manifests Uploaded Franklin to point out the flaws in his calculations. Also the Gloria avatar appears to have no knowledge of Uploaded Franklin, perhaps because Gloria herself never knew him?

Abiron
October 9th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I agree. It seems that Destiny is evaluating Rush's fitness to command. Why else ask, what do you intend to do. After watching it for the 3rd time.

I wonder if perhaps Destiny is testing all of them, through the only one who has successfully gotten access to control it. By asking "What do you intend to do," Destiny might be asking both the immediate question and a greater one aimed at understanding what the humans intend to do now that they have full access. A final security system, perhaps?

xxxevilgrinxxx
October 9th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Destiny is testing Rush.

yep, I've believed that since Human, when the Destiny-manifestations showed up.

And beyond that, that Destiny is testing all of them, keeping track via those kinos?

Gollumpus
October 9th, 2010, 09:39 PM
The Observation deck is where? The Bridge is where?

Couldn't someone standing on the Observation deck be able to see the Bridge had risen out of the superstructure of Destiny? If nothing else, getting rid of the shuttle removes people noticing it via that route.

regards,
G.

morbosfist
October 9th, 2010, 09:49 PM
The bridge is at the very top of the pyramid structure. The observation deck is on a lower floor of the same area. It's impossible to see the bridge from any point of the living area of the ship.

Gollumpus
October 9th, 2010, 10:14 PM
It's impossible to see the bridge from any point of the living area of the ship.

Yup. I've been looking over some photos, and I suspect you are correct. :)

regards,
G.

PG15
October 10th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Although, there is that window on the roof of the gateroom (seen during the sun diving scene in Earth) that may be able to see the pyramid.

morbosfist
October 10th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Although, there is that window on the roof of the gateroom (seen during the sun diving scene in Earth) that may be able to see the pyramid.The gate room doesn't have a window. It's in the pyramid with everything else.

Solokiller
October 10th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Uh:
http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=901&pos=905

That there is the gate room, it's near the end of the episode earth, it zooms out from the gate room, revealing its position in the ship.

morbosfist
October 10th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Huh, never noticed that. It might be visible from that angle.

Gollumpus
October 10th, 2010, 08:36 AM
The Bridge actually rising from and lowering into the superstructure may look cool, however, I wonder if they are going to address how access is achieved while the Bridge is in the "upright" position?

When Rush first discovered the Bridge, its floor level was equal to the floor level of the exterior corridor. As we see, the Bridge rises at least five feet. Do ramps "magically" appear? If the Bridge is in the raised position, there should be no way for someone to walk in through the same doors Rush used and see the Bridge from the same angle as when it is lowered.

regards,
G.

morbosfist
October 10th, 2010, 09:48 AM
That's probably why it has the outer door.

Abiron
October 10th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Either the outer door closes when the Bridge is raised, or perhaps the televator lobby with the outer door is also a part of the block itself, and thus is always at the same level as the Bridge proper. Not sure we saw evidence either way, but I could be wrong.

Shadow_7
October 10th, 2010, 11:38 AM
It would make sense to make the hidden command room inaccessible when in business mode. That's why there's a ships comm. And windows, and ???. What's the term? Panic Room! Since most of the ships day to day functions don't have anything to do with that room.

Ian-S
October 10th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Uh:
http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=901&pos=905

That there is the gate room, it's near the end of the episode earth, it zooms out from the gate room, revealing its position in the ship.

but would anybody actually notice a new compartment raised 5 foot (ish) given the circumstances? - I mean they'd have to had previously looked at the exact spot on the hull to notice anything different now.

(I'm spoiler free) I think it's far more likely the rest of the crew will find the bridge through either noticing the increased power usage in that area, someone will get suspicious and follow Rush, or such a situation will occur where he has to give up the location in order to save something (himself perhaps?).

Gollumpus
October 10th, 2010, 07:52 PM
but would anybody actually notice a new compartment raised 5 foot (ish) given the circumstances? - I mean they'd have to had previously looked at the exact spot on the hull to notice anything different now.

(I'm spoiler free) I think it's far more likely the rest of the crew will find the bridge through either noticing the increased power usage in that area, someone will get suspicious and follow Rush, or such a situation will occur where he has to give up the location in order to save something (himself perhaps?).

I'm thinking Eli with one of those kinos. Rush would never give up ANYTHING to do with Destiny, even to save himself.

regards,
G.

garhkal
October 11th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Episode 7 'The Greater Good', the crew finds the bridge while Rush and Young are in a alien ship on the hull.

Where are you getting those spoilers from???

morbosfist
October 11th, 2010, 01:07 AM
Where are you getting those spoilers from???This. (http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/08/rush-and-young-headed-for-new-revelations/)

Captain James
October 12th, 2010, 06:05 PM
i think there is window in the Destiny's gate room

morbosfist
October 12th, 2010, 06:06 PM
On the ceiling. That was established above.

garhkal
October 13th, 2010, 05:58 AM
This. (http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/08/rush-and-young-headed-for-new-revelations/)

All i have to say is... OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

YsoL8
October 13th, 2010, 08:04 AM
How long has Rush known the location of the Bridge?
He's been doing disappearing acts for some time, and asking Destiny to stop for resources in the same way he did after leaving the bridge, since Air I think.

Just because we've seeing it now, doesn't mean Rush only recently found it -
he seemed quite familiar with the place.

xxxevilgrinxxx
October 13th, 2010, 08:36 AM
How long has Rush known the location of the Bridge?
He's been doing disappearing acts for some time, and asking Destiny to stop for resources in the same way he did after leaving the bridge, since Air I think.

Just because we've seeing it now, doesn't mean Rush only recently found it -
he seemed quite familiar with the place.

he does seem familiar with it and I'd love to know exactly how long he's known - oh the battle that will ensue!

Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble
October 13th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I doubt you could see the top of the pyramid from the gate room. Unless you had a six foot neck (Chloe maybe? :D).

garhkal
October 14th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Being he only recently got the code to get in, i doubt he knew about it that long before hand... Maybe its location was part of what he got out of the chair sitting..

Shadow_7
October 14th, 2010, 08:05 PM
The computer crash was the cracking of the code.

You don't need a six foot neck, just a kino, they fly.

Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble
October 18th, 2010, 09:13 AM
The computer crash was the cracking of the code.

You don't need a six foot neck, just a kino, they fly.

Even if you got right up to the window. I very much doubt you could see the top of the pyramid from there.

Shadow_7
October 18th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Perhaps that's why Rush crashed the shuttle.

morbosfist
October 18th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Perhaps that's why Rush crashed the shuttle.Rush couldn't have crashed the shuttle. He wasn't flying it.

maylet
October 18th, 2010, 11:29 PM
It was a good episode, I like it. And once again I'm hating Rush, my god how I hate that man,LOL. He can keep telling himself all the times that he wants, he's responsible for the death of Riley, and he doesn't want to save everyone on Destiny, he just wants to save himself and keep Destiny, I really hope something will happen to make him change, but his's Rush I don't think he's ever going to change.

I was really sorry for Riley, he didn't have to die like that. The problems with the lucian alliance was to be expected, they are after all the lucian alliance. I think leave some on a planet and not others is what they did when they made one of them to join or they would kill her family.

I want to see what is coming straight to them, so I'm going to see the next episode, LOL

xxxevilgrinxxx
October 19th, 2010, 09:43 AM
It was a good episode, I like it. And once again I'm hating Rush, my god how I hate that man,LOL. He can keep telling himself all the times that he wants, he's responsible for the death of Riley, and he doesn't want to save everyone on Destiny, he just wants to save himself and keep Destiny, I really hope something will happen to make him change, but his's Rush I don't think he's ever going to change.

I was really sorry for Riley, he didn't have to die like that. The problems with the lucian alliance was to be expected, they are after all the lucian alliance. I think leave some on a planet and not others is what they did when they made one of them to join or they would kill her family.

I want to see what is coming straight to them, so I'm going to see the next episode, LOL

there's nothing that beats a character you love to hate and Rush fits that bill to a T. He's fantastic that way :)

garhkal
October 21st, 2010, 02:51 AM
Yup. It is why so many people liked Doctor smith in Lost in space..