Stasis rooms possible on Destiny ? SPOILERS S1 and S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stasis rooms possible on Destiny ? SPOILERS S1 and S2

Do you think it's possible that the expedition will discover a stasis room eventually? It seems like that technology could play a crucial role in the plot. Then again, it might make things 'too easy' for Destiny's crew.

It seems like the Ancients would've incorporated that tech into Destiny, knowing Destiny's objective, and considering that they were planning to dial it one day. Stasis would be a reasonable option if any of the Ancients wanted to study Destiny's progress long-term.

True, but remember what happened to wier in Before i Sleep (SGA season 1).. even 10,000 years in one WITH zpms powering the city she aged so much when she came out she was near death.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
      True, but remember what happened to wier in Before i Sleep (SGA season 1).. even 10,000 years in one WITH zpms powering the city she aged so much when she came out she was near death.
      Yeah I thought about that... if I'm not mistaken, if the journey back to Earth from Destiny's current position was 1.5 Million years, and the crew was in stasis, then 7,500 years will still have passed for them.

Comment

So they would be skeletons, not proper fossils then.

Comment

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
          Yeah I thought about that... if I'm not mistaken, if the journey back to Earth from Destiny's current position was 1.5 Million years, and the crew was in stasis, then 7,500 years will still have passed for them.
          where did u pull that number from?

anyway the ancients never intended to be on Destiny long enough without supplies to warrant a stasis pod, we dont even know if stasis technology existed back then.

Comment

stasis pods + relativistic effects of travelling at lightspeed would get you a very, very long way that's for sure

but on the other hand destiny uses some form of hyperdrive IIRC and the show does seem to imply that Destiny has been travelling for an actual million years and not lightyears
            I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
              where did u pull that number from?
              I think I grabbed it from "Aftermath"... I could be wrong but when Rush was hallucinating that Jeremy Franklin was on the bridge with him, Franklin said something to the effect of "...you didn't account for the 'million plus' years...". Nothing real scientific or official. Just pulled out of thin air I suppose.

anyway the ancients never intended to be on Destiny long enough without supplies to warrant a stasis pod, we dont even know if stasis technology existed back then.
              I guess my thinking was, if they had stasis pods on the Aurora-class ships that were essentially built for Pegasus events yet still had stasis pods, then perhaps a vessel that was intended to traverse the universe would have them just as a back up plan. Kind of like when the Tria needed them.

Comment

Firstly, the FTL drive negates the effects of relativity; the communication stones prove that. Secondly, I wouldn't use the Stasis pods on Aurora or Atlantis as the basis for all potential Ancient stasis technology. Think about Ayiana - older tech than the new Pegasus stuff but she still survived, unaged, for millions of years. Time dilation fields, storage in Stargate-style buffers, actual total stasis where no cell in the body can move at all - all potential ways of better stasis, and we know the Ancients have at least two of those technologies.

Comment

Yeah that's a good point. I never really considered that the same level of stasis technology from Aurora/Atlantis would be present on Destiny. But, yeah, maybe the same type of cryogenic stasis that Ayiana was preserved in would be present. I don't completely understand how she was in stasis... was she put into stasis first and then eventually ice formed around her? Or was the ice block part of the process?

Either way, whatever tech stops cellular growth altogether would be ideal since the D.E. has a long journey ahead of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
                    I think I grabbed it from "Aftermath"... I could be wrong but when Rush was hallucinating that Jeremy Franklin was on the bridge with him, Franklin said something to the effect of "...you didn't account for the 'million plus' years...". Nothing real scientific or official. Just pulled out of thin air I suppose.

I guess my thinking was, if they had stasis pods on the Aurora-class ships that were essentially built for Pegasus events yet still had stasis pods, then perhaps a vessel that was intended to traverse the universe would have them just as a back up plan. Kind of like when the Tria needed them.
                    he ssaid million plus years. we dont know if they had stasis pod technology back when destiny was built

Comment

From what i remember about Allyah, she was frozen when atlantis lifted off from earth.. It was her powers of healing that helped her revive.. As for stasis pods, i do think that a fore runner of them may exist on the Destiny.

Comment

Well, where else do you suggest the Doctor who sat in the neural interface room went?

N.C

Comment

I don't. I think his mind was copied into the ships computer and his body was disintergrated..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                            That was over 10,000 years. If the Ancients had gone 5,000 years ago or so, they most likely would have brought along several ZPM's (perhaps even the machine or whatever magical thing that creates them) and the necessary supplies to adapt them to Destiny's systems. They also would have brought along enough supplies to repair the ship and improve upon its original design, and probably would have brought the entire Atlantis database along with all the information about Destiny, its systems, its design, its mission, its technology, and its wonders; perhaps even their latest in stasis technology to sustain them longer so that they maybe could survive to the end of Destiny's voyage.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
                              stasis pods + relativistic effects of travelling at lightspeed would get you a very, very long way that's for sure

but on the other hand destiny uses some form of hyperdrive IIRC and the show does seem to imply that Destiny has been travelling for an actual million years and not lightyears
                              In "Air, Part I" Rush said "Faster than light, yet not through hyperspace."

Destiny has traveled several billion lightyears, and Rush said "Launched... hundreds of thousands of years ago." as an early estimation at the beginning. IIRC Destiny has been travelling for a million years or so, but has traveled several billion lightyears.

Comment

Working...
                              X