This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if there is no movie?

I have to ask, given MGM's financial problems and the supposed decline of direct-to-video movie sales, what if there is no movie? I'm not looking for denial answers such as, "Oh, there will be a movie, just give it time, so'n so said such'n such..." Let's say that at some point, the movie is flat out cancelled... How would you feel about that, and what other ways could you see the story being wrapped up?

If the movie gets cancelled as in it won't happen... I would like to see the actors get to reprise their roles on Universe now and then. Think of SG-1's role on the show. It's mostly been to serve the Universe storyline, only we get familiar faces instead of new characters. As for as an Atlantis specific storyline... How about a novel continuation? I'm not talking about fanfiction nor novels based on TV that often get ignored by the average reader. That's not to diss fanfiction or TV novels, but you get my point. What I envision is the show's actual writers taking the movie script and reworking it as a big-time novel. SG-1 got what, two movies, and the third will likely be the last, right? Well, plan for say... four Atlantis novels that would be canon to future productions. I like that the TV and book canons are separate, because the TV show's writers just don't have the time to keep up with what book established what when. However, if the books are written by writers from the show or new writers officially endoresed by someone like Brad Wright, then... why not?

I think a few novels (not a neverending series) would be a nice alternative to TV movies.

If anyone has another suggestion, feel free to chime in. Use your imagination. We're assuming TV movies are out, but anything else would be game.

If there is no movie or mini-series I shall go insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
      If there is no movie or mini-series I shall go insane.
      mini series i can see but i don't think the movies will be made in dvd form
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

No books, tv writers dont want to write books, it will be written by some other person and MGM will say that its part of stargate., which it isnt.

Fun Fact: ANYONE can apply for a license to use the stargate franchise and if you have the money youve got urself a book.

Thats why all the rpg, books, magazines are crap and as useless as using pies as wheels for your car.

Comment

if there is no movie, then we will raid MGM, and free Stargate to someone who will make them

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
            No books, tv writers dont want to write books
            Why? You can do so much more with a novel than you can with a script for a 42-minute TV episode.

it will be written by some other person and MGM will say that its part of stargate., which it isnt.
            Of coarse it is. The question is; would it be considered part of the TV chronology, or would it be ignored? I would check out books based on the show set after the finale. However, only if they make an attempt to wrap up storylines. I'm looking for closure, not a sixth season in book form.

Comment

if there's no movies life goes on.
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                How would you feel about that, and what other ways could you see the story being wrapped up?
                Relieved and grateful that my prayers to whatever supernatural entity that might exist were answered.

What I envision is the show's actual writers taking the movie script and reworking it as a big-time novel.
                HAHAHAHAHA... no. Not in a million years would I want to read that. It was enough to having to watch Stargate: McKay on screen. I so do not need to read it as well. The only advantage of that would be that it would be easier to ignore the books than to ignore the movie.

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                No books, tv writers dont want to write books, it will be written by some other person
                If I remember it correctly, JM recently wrote (and published?) a book (although not a Stargate book), so there's at least one person with that ambition on the writers staff. The problem is: that's a person whose books I'd avoid like the plague, most of all if it were Stargate books.

Of coarse it is. The question is; would it be considered part of the TV chronology, or would it be ignored?
                Ignored, hopefully. I so do not want to see that nonsense JM recently talked about to become Atlantis canon. There wasn't one point in it that made actual sense for plot and characters.

Seriously, I know a lot of people out there would be sad if there were no movie and they do have my sympathies... however, I'd be relieved as heck that those writers would never again get the chance to mess up the show and the characters further. They can mess around with SGU for all eternity, if they want to, but I want them to leave Atlantis alone. It was canceled at the right time and it's time to leave it to fandom because quite frankly fandom knows better what to do with those characters.
                I'm a 60%er.

I will always place the mission first.
                I will never accept defeat.
                I will never quit.
                I will never leave a fallen comrade.
                ------
                "There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives."

Comment

I also would be VERY happy if the movie was never done. No Keller, NO Rodney/Keller, no not using Teyla, Ronon and John. I would be very happy if NONE of the writers that had EVER worked on SGA were EVER, EVER allowed to write for the show again.

Those writers did such a dis-service to the characters and the idea of SGA (IMO of course) that I wish the show could be sold and re-done.
                  Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

I fail to understand this need for a movie or book to wrap up loose ends to never happen. If the movie happens, and you don't like it... OK... don't watch it. If the book happens, and you don't like it... OK... don't read it. Really, is that hard? You don't have to see the movie or read the book just because it's Stargate, folks. Really, it is mean-spirited to go on and on about how you hope it never happens. How about something constructive, like suggesting a writer or story concept?

Comment

How about something constructive, like suggesting a writer or story concept?
                      Something constructive would be to close the records on Atlantis and give it fully to the fans. Or reboot the entire franchise with fresh writers (and a lot more women on staff), fresh producers... everything and everyone new. The way it's now it's pretty apparent that the creative team behind Stargate have lost their edge and burned out their creative energy for Stargate. If they'd wanted to do something new - which is understandable - they should have closed the records on Stargate fully and moved on to something really new instead of creating SGU (which is why SGU in my head isn't a part of my Stargate canon). Seriously, I don't want those writers to get their hands on anything Stargate related again. I don't know who else to hire but I sure as hell don't want those people to do it.
                      I'm a 60%er.

I will always place the mission first.
                      I will never accept defeat.
                      I will never quit.
                      I will never leave a fallen comrade.
                      ------
                      "There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives."

Comment

What does it mean to "close the records and give it fully to the fans?"

I enjoyed SG-1 and Atlantis from start to finish as well as both SG-1 films. Sure, there's the occasional episode I disliked, but I enjoyed both shows overall. A reboot is entirely unnecessary. If your issue is with the production team, then just fire everyone and hire a new staff. You don't need a reboot to do that.

I can't comment on Universe as I've only seen the opening episodes, the "Air" trilogy. While I may have issues with what I've seen so far, I would say the production team is far frm creatively burnt out. I think they just wanted to get away from campy Atlantis and return to the serious early days of SG-1. Why does new mandate an entirely original series? The way people feel about Universe is exactly how people felt when Star Trek: Deep Space Nine premiered. A Star Trek show not set on a starship? A commander who doesn't want to be there? Half the cast isn't in Starfleet? This show is going to be a soap opera! It ended up being the one Star Trek show with the most engaging and complicated storylines. Sometimes, new is good.

Stargate is not made for you, it's made for the American-Canadian TV audience. If you don't like Universe, just ignore it. The same goes for any future production that you don't like. If I just can't get into the show myself, I'm not going to rant about how the producers should change everything just for ME. No... I'll just watch something else.

Let's get back on the topic of people what alternatives could exist to a movie.

Comment

If there is no movie, I think I would cry and go insane.
                          Also, if there is no movie, the writers could start another series involving an ancient tired of not interfering and somehow related that to Atlantis so that Atlantis could at least have a proper good ending. Maybe that Ancient could say that there were other reasons why Atlantis went the the Pegasus galaxy. Something on that line.
                          But sticking to my original, I would cry if there is no movie.
                          There is always one.

Comment

Let's get back on the topic of people what alternatives could exist to a movie.
                            Uhhh could you define you defenition of that a little better?
                            I got a hangover and its too early for deep thougt.

But I digest.
                            If all we are gonna get are those novels that are supposed to come out this month,and if they are any good. I am willing to accept them.
                            I am a Dr.Who fan of old,and I had to go from 1989 to 2005 with only the novels that virgin and bbc made (with one 90 minute skip in the middle)so I am willing to put my hopes in the books.
                            Cause I don't see MGM willing to do this anytime soon.
                            I like Sharky
                            sigpic

Comment

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if there is no movie cause I have no desire to watch it. But saying that I hope they people who really want the movie to happen get their wish and get their movie some day, but I think the longer they wait the less chance there is of a movie which is unfortunate.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X