Little confusion over Stargate mythology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little confusion over Stargate mythology

Did the Goa'uld bring humans to Earth from other planets or take humans from Earth to other planets?

Also, the alien races with languages similar to Earth languages: is this because they picked it up from humans from Earth or vice versa?

Thanks

The Goa'uld (and to a lesser extent, the Ancients and other aliens) took humans from earth and spread them around the galaxy.
    As for the language thing... it's more plot convenience than anything. They speak English just so the first half hour of the show isn't Daniel attempting to translate.
    For written languages, however, their similar because the off world civilization's ancestors brought their writing with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Quetzocoetl View Post
      For written languages, however, their similar because the off world civilization's ancestors brought their writing with them.
      Okay, help me out with this...I could be completely off on my ancients / human connection. My first understanding was the ancients died off due to a mystery illness or ascended and humans developed through a parallel evolution (hence, we are not as advanced). If that is true, then we have no real connection to the ancients' written language (unless the ancients survived long enough to interact with early sapiens or some of the ascended ancients broke code and meddled with early humans).

But if that understanding is correct, then where does the "ancient gene" come from that some humans carry (which possibly carries the basis for Latin)? That wouldn't make sense if it were a parallel evolution. So that leaves that we are offspring of the ancients? Two separately evolved species, despite physical similarities, would have grossly different genetics. The only explanation for the gene I can think of is that we are actually some kind of degeneration of the ancients...which also makes very little sense. It is usually not a survival advantage to devolve.

So, what is the cannon statement on this? I admit that I am a bit rusty on some of the eps that might tie it together for me....

Thanks.

Comment

I'm still a bit fuzzy on some of it, so bear with me.
        I think it's stated that some ancients died in the Milky Way due to a plague, while some ascended and others went off to the Pegasus galaxy. Some of the ascended regained human form and lived on earth, while the survivors in Pegasus eventually returned to earth once they lost the war to the wraith. I think (still unclear on this) that the ancients in the Milky Way interacted with humans to some extent, before they died of the plague.

As for the gene, well, even though the chances of the ancients being compatible with humans is slim, within Stargate, the ancients are, for all intents and purposes, 99.9% human. Within Stargate, we evolved to become just like the ancients (both anatomically and genetically) through incredible coincidence. So, cross species breeding is possible.
        I also think the gene just kinda shows up without any relation to the ancients....

Comment

The Ancients were the first form of us humans, as far as we know.
          Basically, the Ancients left the Pegasus Galaxy and made Earth it's home, before any 2nd form humans were born. They moved because of the war with the Wraith and also the plague. Some Ascended and as said above some came to Earth.
          Eventually they died out, ascended, moved or whatever. And over time we were their offspring.

We have their gene because we are their 2nd form, leaving obvious and genetical traits. To the best of knowledge that is why some have the Ancient gene and some do not.

The Language is mostly just for the ease of the audience to understand as said above, otherwise half of the show would be Daniel with a book.

Comment

Thanks.

So, cannon pretty much ignores paleoanthropological findings.
            Alas, Ardi & Lucy. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Fandango View Post
              Thanks.

So, cannon pretty much ignores paleoanthropological findings.
              Alas, Ardi & Lucy. Oh well.
              Actually, not quite.
              In the series, it is stated that humans evolved on Earth just as we currently believe they did.
              It's just that, within the series, the ancients played a role in influencing our cultures as well as eventually interbreeding with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Quetzocoetl View Post
                Actually, not quite.
                In the series, it is stated that humans evolved on Earth just as we currently believe they did.
                It's just that, within the series, the ancients played a role in influencing our cultures as well as eventually interbreeding with us.
                If that is true, then their extenction within the Milky Way (or at least on Earth) is a LOT more mordern than our ailing ice lady would imply. I don't really see ancients mating with Homo Erectus or even Neanderthalensis.

Comment

Ancients died out before Humans began on Earth. The Ancient offspring i guess started the Human race and that would explain the Ancient Gene eventually fading away through time, to the point in where the gene was very rare.
                  I think anyway.

Comment

I thought the ancients evolved in the ori galaxy and then came here first?At least that is what I thought that last SG1 movie said.
                    I like Sharky
                    sigpic

Comment

Ancients started in the Ori galaxy.

When they split with the Ori they moved to the Milky Way.

They then left because of a plague and moved to the Pegasus Galaxy.

They lost the Wraith war, so they moved back to the Milky Way.

The remaining ancients then either died out or ascended.

Comment

Originally posted by daedalus91 View Post
                        The Ancients were the first form of us humans, as far as we know.
                        Basically, the Ancients left the Pegasus Galaxy and made Earth it's home, before any 2nd form humans were born. They moved because of the war with the Wraith and also the plague. Some Ascended and as said above some came to Earth.
                        Eventually they died out, ascended, moved or whatever. And over time we were their offspring.

We have their gene because we are their 2nd form, leaving obvious and genetical traits. To the best of knowledge that is why some have the Ancient gene and some do not.

The Language is mostly just for the ease of the audience to understand as said above, otherwise half of the show would be Daniel with a book.

not so sure about this...

though admittedly, there is very little consistency/continuity anyway, so any disagreement is pretty moot... it just boils down to which information you decide is truly worth accepting....

1) atlantis travels FROM EARTH TO PEGASUS... this is shown "retroactively" in the 1st episode (Rising).

there is an image of Atlantis in Antarctica from the point of view of a jumper, then you see shot of the girl that was frozen in the Antarctic ice (SG-1 episode that gets O'Neill infected requiring the Tok'Ra, which leads to torture by Baal, etc)

no other information about Atlantis prior to this exists...

2) the Wraith developed as a result of the Ancient's seeding of the Pegasus galaxy with life, similar to the way they did it in the Milky way... (Aratus bug interacted with early evolution of humans is the explanation given on the show)

3) thus the "Reseeding" machine was activated in the Pegasus galaxy BEFORE they encountered the wraith.

4) it takes millions of years for humans (or wraith) to evolve.

this is evident by the fact that Atlantis first left earth several million years ago (Stated on the show), the fact that humans took ~1 million years to develop from undifferentiated apes on Earth (real life paleoanthropology is considered canon), etc..

5) thus the "Wraith and also the plague" could not have been reasons for the Lanteans coming back to earth because the "wraith and the also the plague" did not exist at the same time...

they were a million or so years apart from one another.

why do we have the ancient gene?

at the very least: because people from Atlantis came to earth 10,000 years ago and tried to create small clusters of civilization (This is explicitly stated in the show)...

they probably "dipped in the population" if you *Ahem* catch my drift...

also more recently:

Merlin CREATED (just like the Orici) King arthur...

his genetics ALSO would have diffused...

and yeah the language is just a production detail...

a lot of time would be wasted in a 10 season, 200+ episode show (5 season, 100+ episode, as well) if EVERY SINGLE new species or culture spoke a different language..

and yeah, there is obviously a bunch of inconsistency there...

but funny enough:

the creators basically gave up on the different languages after the first couple of episodes.

Comment

the Ancients had been capable of Ascension since they were living in the Ori Galaxy.

this was stated by Orlon AND Merlin...

it is also the stated difference of opinion of the Ori and the Alterans from the very begining...

Alterans only got "big" on the idea under 3 situations:

1) the plague... it made lots of them try to ascend to avoid

2) the war with the wraith... lots of them ascended to try to avoid it.

3) the twilight of their civilization/race... lots of them ascended at the end.

interesting if you think (too deeply) about these topics

non-interference...

again, obviously I am reading too much into this... the writers never even wasted their time thinking about this stuff, so I am basically just "imagining" nonsense...

but if even 1 single ancient Ascended (Before "the others" existed, there must have been that first person...)...

you would think he/she would:

1) immediately have access to all of the knowledge of the universe

2) that knowledge includes everything you need to know about how to ascend and/or make your brain capble of ascending

3) turn right back around and tell everyone how to do it...

so if you really think about it...

the ascended ancients practiced non-interference WITH THEIR OWN PEOPLE!!!!

or else they all would have Ascended within 1 generation.

Comment

Originally posted by gordonliu View Post
                            the Ancients had been capable of Ascension since they were living in the Ori Galaxy.

this was stated by Orlon AND Merlin...
                            What? Holy fark, no.

it is also the stated difference of opinion of the Ori and the Alterans from the very begining...

Alterans only got "big" on the idea under 3 situations:

1) the plague... it made lots of them try to ascend to avoid

2) the war with the wraith... lots of them ascended to try to avoid it.

3) the twilight of their civilization/race... lots of them ascended at the end.
                            Two and three are pretty much the same time period, give or take a decade.

interesting if you think (too deeply) about these topics

non-interference...

again, obviously I am reading too much into this... the writers never even wasted their time thinking about this stuff, so I am basically just "imagining" nonsense...

but if even 1 single ancient Ascended (Before "the others" existed, there must have been that first person...)...

you would think he/she would:

1) immediately have access to all of the knowledge of the universe

2) that knowledge includes everything you need to know about how to ascend and/or make your brain capble of ascending

3) turn right back around and tell everyone how to do it...

so if you really think about it...

the ascended ancients practiced non-interference WITH THEIR OWN PEOPLE!!!!

or else they all would have Ascended within 1 generation.
                            Not exactly. When one Ascends, they aren't flooded with cosmic knowledge. They are given the opportunity to learn far more about the universe than they ever would in their physical form.
                            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                            Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                            If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                            Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Before the Ancients left for Pegasus galaxy after wiping out and then reseeding life including humans. As how could they encounter humans on their return from Pegasus if they hadn't seeded yet. We know the Ancient-Wraith war lasted 100 years but what we don't know is how long the Ancients were in Pegasus before they came into contact with the Wraith.

My guess is they where in Pegasus a few million years, all we have got to go on is from The Quest part 2
                              MERLIN: I have lived many lifetimes. First… in Atlantis. Then… on Earth, before the dawn of your civilization. Then I joined the ranks of the Ascended. And finally, I returned to mortal form, to live out my remaining days among the noblemen of Arthur's Court. Or, so I thought. And through all these eons, only one thing has stayed the same: there is never enough time.

Comment

Working...
                              X