The Forever War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Forever War

Anybody read this absolutely amazing Military Science-Fiction novel by author Joe Haldeman?

For those that haven't, the synopsis is:

Private William Mandella is a reluctant hero in an interstellar war against an unknowable and unconquerable alien enemy. But his greatest test will be when he returns home. Relativity means that for every few months' tour of duty centuries have passed on Earth, isolating the combatants ever more from the world for whose future they are fighting.
    It's a brilliant novel, essentially based on the author's experiences in Vietnam, whilst set in a vastly futuristic war. It also sees the use of an interplanetary transport hub the called 'Stargate' - no, it didn't steal the name, the book was published in the 70s.

This has become one of my favourite novels of all time. Unfortunatly, the sequel wasn't anywhere near so good.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

I read it a while back, not my favorite novel but it was a good read.
    sigpic

Comment

Like Iffy I read a while back.
      I enjoyed it. But I've not read the sequel.

ttyl
      Starfist
      "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
      Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
      Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
      Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
      I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
      To thy own self... Be true
      May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

I read it, too, when my friend insisted on it. I liked it, esp. the way the war progressed and the consequences of light speed (right? it's been more than a year or two since I read it) travel (the whole time dilation thingy). It was rather interesting.

I still liked Heinlein's 'Starship Troopers' better, tho'.

I also haven't read the sequel(s). It's 3 books, right? (w/ the 3rd being the 'real' sequel, right?)
        sigpic

Comment

It was ok. I listened to it on audio. Starship Troopers was even worse, because I simply stopped reading that one more than halfway thru.

Comment

Working...
          X