PDA

View Full Version : SPN Fans : where are you from ?

Mulder1975
October 1st, 2010, 11:28 AM
Where are you all from

iolanda
October 3rd, 2010, 12:48 PM
Why do you want to know?

Mulder1975
October 4th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I just wanted to know where all the SN fans are from Because I'm from North Dakota

starg8fans
October 4th, 2010, 10:18 AM
You are? Sorta in Bobby's neighborhood? Lucky you.

Okay, I'm from southern Germany. Not too far from Oktoberfest... :p

warrior_chic
October 4th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I'm from Ohio. So all the Ohio refs make me very happy :) Especially b/c the rest of the entertainment world just likes to pick on us.

starg8fans
October 4th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Really? How come? Although, come to think of it - it's probably a sore subject, but I remember a John Denver song from way back when...

What was funny, though, was that the last ep featured Lansing, MI, and most of my American colleagues live in that area, or at least went to university there.

warrior_chic
October 4th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I don't really know why people like to pick on us. We are kinda non-descript. We're part Midwest, part South, part Appalachia. We don't really completely fit anywhere, though we are usually considered Midwest. That and all our pro sports teams are ridiculously terrible. We have a few decent college teams and that's about it.

Lansing is the capitol of MI, but that's interesting that so many people you know are from there. Do they have anything in common? MI is basically a manufacturing state, i.e. Detroit. Most of this area is.

RodneyIsGodney
October 4th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I'm from the nutmeg state, also known as Connecticut.:) A state that I'm proud to say that Dean and Sam have visited. Episode Playthings.

starg8fans
October 4th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I don't really know why people like to pick on us. We are kinda non-descript. We're part Midwest, part South, part Appalachia. We don't really completely fit anywhere, though we are usually considered Midwest. That and all our pro sports teams are ridiculously terrible. We have a few decent college teams and that's about it.

Lansing is the capitol of MI, but that's interesting that so many people you know are from there. Do they have anything in common? MI is basically a manufacturing state, i.e. Detroit. Most of this area is.

Well, my company's HQ is in Michigan. I guess only people who are used to that climate stick around to work there.

I'm from the nutmeg state, also known as Connecticut.:) A state that I'm proud to say that Dean and Sam have visited. Episode Playthings.

I did NOT know that it was called that! Even though I've been there.

Crichiel
October 4th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Minnesota...which has been in quite a few SPN episodes!...and also gets picked on a LOT. People tend to think of it as all farmland, like Little House on the Prairie.

warrior_chic
October 4th, 2010, 03:26 PM
My roommate is from Indiana, and she's been doing research over the summers. Last year she was in California and this year she was at Harvard. She's had to defend the Midwest both times. Someone actually asked her if we had cars.

And speaking of climate, we had 90 degree weather last week, and today it didn't even reach 60. And that's perfectly normal for here. It really kinda sucks. I can see why all the Ohioans retire to Arizona and Florida.

Jack_O'Neill_fan
October 4th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Well, my company's HQ is in Michigan. I guess only people who are used to that climate stick around to work there.
Yup. It can get pretty cold here in winter. I'm from Michigan. (Episode A Very Supernatural Christmas ;) )

Crichiel
October 4th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Yeah, Midwest weather takes some getting used to. We also often get a 30 degree temperature change within days. Sadly, I find myself becoming MORE Minnesotan as I get older, I will take 10 degrees over 90 any day! (Sorry worldly friends, I am a typical American and have no idea how to translate those from Fahrenheit!).

warrior_chic
October 4th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I just saw "Monster at the end of this Book" and realized Chuck is from Ohio. I love Kripke repping the Buckeye Pride. Other celebs I know are from the state just kinda ignore that fact.

OK, so now that we're all starting to learn where each other are (is that grammatically any where close to correct?), is there something that makes your area special?

starg8fans
October 4th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Yeah, Midwest weather takes some getting used to. We also often get a 30 degree temperature change within days. Sadly, I find myself becoming MORE Minnesotan as I get older, I will take 10 degrees over 90 any day! (Sorry worldly friends, I am a typical American and have no idea how to translate those from Fahrenheit!).

For temps above 30˚F deduct 30 and halve the rest. That's a good ballpark figure. Also, 72˚F is 22˚C, and 82˚F is 28˚C. For temps below 30˚F just halve the difference to 30 which gives you sub-zero figures. So 10˚F would be -10˚C. Which would be a tad cold for me. My favorite weather is low 60s.

I just saw "Monster at the end of this Book" and realized Chuck is from Ohio. I love Kripke repping the Buckeye Pride. Other celebs I know are from the state just kinda ignore that fact.

OK, so now that we're all starting to learn where each other are (is that grammatically any where close to correct?), is there something that makes your area special?

You mean apart from the fact that people here wear Lederhosen and Dirndls? :p I just had visitors from the States, and they were totally blown away by the fact that the oldest church in town still has parts that date back to the 11th century. Oh, and we had a crazy king who built fairy tale castles in out-of-the-way places. Until he was drowned in the lake I live by - a mystery that was never solved.

warrior_chic
October 5th, 2010, 03:33 AM
You mean apart from the fact that people here wear Lederhosen and Dirndls? :p I just had visitors from the States, and they were totally blown away by the fact that the oldest church in town still has parts that date back to the 11th century. Oh, and we had a crazy king who built fairy tale castles in out-of-the-way places. Until he was drowned in the lake I live by - a mystery that was never solved.

See that, that's cool. We clearly don't have enough history for stuff like that. They don't really teach us much of what Native Americans were doing before the Europeans got here. Although I was researching an ancestor from the Revolutionary War. Seems he was a pretty big deal. And it also makes me related to Gen. Patton from WW2. It's stuff like that that we have here. Ohio doesn't have a whole that interesting. We don't even have good tourism.

starg8fans
October 5th, 2010, 04:20 AM
See that, that's cool. We clearly don't have enough history for stuff like that. They don't really teach us much of what Native Americans were doing before the Europeans got here. Although I was researching an ancestor from the Revolutionary War. Seems he was a pretty big deal. And it also makes me related to Gen. Patton from WW2. It's stuff like that that we have here. Ohio doesn't have a whole that interesting. We don't even have good tourism.

It's so cool when you find out things like that about your family. My grandmother on my mom's side had documents tracing back our lineage to the 17th century, when our protestant ancestors were driven from catholic France and came to Germany. Unfortunately, she was evicted herself from her home in Pommerania after WWII, and since she thought it was only temporary she buried them with the family silver and other memorabilia in a suitcase in her garden. Then the iron curtain went down, and she never made it back.

Don't know if you like fanfics, but there's a great story where the Winchester boys get sent back in time to the Civil War. The author used her own family's history to create the backdrop to this tale, and I really enjoyed reading it. It's on ff.net called River of Blood by Harrigan. (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4678471/14/River_of_Blood) The last Chapter (14) has the author's notes that tell you about her ancestors who appear in the story. It's too bad I only found it at the end, I think the story would have been even more poignant if I had been aware of the historical background

warrior_chic
October 5th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Ya know, I've never actually read any fanfic of any kind for anything. I might have to go check that out.

That thing about your grandmother could turn into one of those modern day treasure finds though. There will be news stories every now and then of people getting postcards from WW2 that were lost in the mail, or some construction site will dig up something left behind. Locally last year, they were doing construction around the homes of some of the universities faculty and found a bunch of undetonated ammunition from I don't even know when. We're near an Army depot and and Air Force base, so it was kinda cool to hear about that kinda stuff from the past. Maybe not if it was your yard they had to dig up though :)

iolanda
October 5th, 2010, 06:59 AM
I am also from Germany, but a very different corner than Stars is, because I live in the Rhineland. I was raised in the Westerwald (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westerwald), which is a part of the Rhineland and now live in Koblenz.
My town was founded 8 BC :D

If you want to visit this area do it next year, because we host the BuGa 2011 and we'll have a great gardening exhibition then. For this there are now lots and lots of construction zones in the city and it's nearly impossible to find a decent parking spot or get anywhere in time (at least with a car, that is why I prefer my bike). But the parts which are finished look really great, so it will be worth it! We also have a cable car at the moment which will be dismantled after the BuGa because it threatens the status of the World Heritage Middle Rhine Valley.

It's beautiful around here, we have a lot of castles and pretty valleys and wine =)

Crichiel
October 5th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Iolanda and stars, which of you is closer to neuschwannstein (is that the castle you were referring to, stars?). Sounds like you're closer to the Bavarian area? Or am I mistaken?

warrior_chic
October 5th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I've always want to visit Germany. Some of my ancestors are from there. Is it even remotely feasible for someone from the States to visit for say, a week? I should probably specify that I'm a college student and therefore basically have no money :) Is the whole "backpacking through Europe" really as easy as they make it seem over here?

starg8fans
October 5th, 2010, 09:07 AM
You're right, that would be me. According to mapquest I'm 50 miles (80.8 km) away.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee84/starg8fans/RouteNeuschwanstein.jpg

warrior_chic
October 5th, 2010, 09:24 AM
so pretty :)

starg8fans
October 5th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Yeah, when we moved here our friends said we now live where other people go on holiday. Actually, like iolanda and her family. Looking forward to meeting you, gal!

iolanda
October 5th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Yeah, when we moved here our friends said we now live where other people go on holiday. Actually, like iolanda and her family. Looking forward to meeting you, gal!

Same here :D I like your region a lot because it feels so free, with the Alps in the background.

Actually it's also pretty pretty around here, and we have some great castles, just not ones as famous as Neuschwanstein, but if you want to visit a genuine medieval castle, there are plenty around, like Burg Eltz or the Marksburg. Neuschwanstein is a youngster compared to these ;)

I have no idea how good backpacking really works in Germany. I've never tried it, but internet lore says, that it is pretty easy.

RodneyIsGodney
October 5th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Forgot that Dean mentions Connecticut in Bad Day at Black Rock. Something about the two @sshats who stole the rabbits foot having CT license plates.

I did NOT know that it was called that! Even though I've been there.
Ya learn something new every day!

Minnesota...which has been in quite a few SPN episodes!
Hey, you don't happen to have Wendigos up there do ya? Dean said you did.

"Oh come on, Wendigos are in the Minnesota woods or northern Michigan."

...and also gets picked on a LOT. People tend to think of it as all farmland, like Little House on the Prairie.
Um, that show is on my tv right now. After all these years I still like it.:o

I've been to Ohio once...in the winter. Brrrr!

Um, well, the Fall foliage is pretty famous in my neck of the woods; so to speak.

There are also haunted houses. Or at least, houses that are purported to be haunted. There's a movie called The Haunting in Connecticut that's based on true events. Then there's Dudleytown (http://www.cosmicsociety.com/hauntedct.html) one of CT's most haunted locations.

Oh, and on the weather front...right now Sam would say, "It's positively Canadian." Cold and rainy.

starg8fans
October 5th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I've always want to visit Germany. Some of my ancestors are from there. Is it even remotely feasible for someone from the States to visit for say, a week? I should probably specify that I'm a college student and therefore basically have no money :) Is the whole "backpacking through Europe" really as easy as they make it seem over here?

Sorry, didn't see your post before since we posted almost at the exact same time.

I've never done it personally, but I know people who've done it on a shoestring budget. You can get a Eurail pass that will let you ride any train throughout Europe, and there's a great network of Youth Hostels where you can get a decent overnight stay at very affordable prices.

warrior_chic
October 5th, 2010, 02:30 PM

I'm sorry you had to suffer like that. We have a saying here:

"Ohio has 4 seasons- Almost winter, Winter, Still winter, and Construction"

Although we're gonna have to add "surface of the sun" to that if our summers continue the way they have been.

warrior_chic
October 5th, 2010, 02:31 PM

Although we're gonna have to add "surface of the sun" to that if our summers continue the way they have been.

Crichiel
October 5th, 2010, 03:45 PM

That's 2 seasons more than Minnesota. We just have winter and road construction. And heaven forbid winter hold off a few weeks, or we get the extended road construction season. Last year, we had 3" of snow by the 2nd week of October, and we usually aren't done with it until mid-May. The worst being Mid-January through February where we can go weeks never getting above zero.

But jokes aside, Minnesota is known for its lakes, the Mayo clinic, for being home to many big businesses (Target, 3M), and for its pro sports teams that can't do squat once they get into the playoffs...seriously, tune in tomorrow as the Twins try and play the Yankees. It won't be pretty.

warrior_chic
October 5th, 2010, 04:51 PM
But jokes aside, Minnesota is known for its lakes, the Mayo clinic, for being home to many big businesses (Target, 3M), and for its pro sports teams that can't do squat once they get into the playoffs...seriously, tune in tomorrow as the Twins try and play the Yankees. It won't be pretty.

Well, I'll be pulling for the Twins. Really don't like the Yanks. But at least you can get to the playoffs. I get the Browns, the Bengals, the Blue Jackets, the Cavs, the Crew, the Reds, and the Indians. That's 7 teams, 5 sports, and maybe 3 championships in the last 20 years.

And we def don't get that much snow mostly because it doesn't get very "wet" around here. One of my past roommates came from southern China. I remember showing her pictures of snow angels, cars covered in snow, and trying to explain "wind chill" to her. But she did survive her first Midwest winter. And her first Black Friday. I won't even do that.

Crichiel
October 5th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Well, I'll be pulling for the Twins. Really don't like the Yanks. But at least you can get to the playoffs. I get the Browns, the Bengals, the Blue Jackets, the Cavs, the Crew, the Reds, and the Indians. That's 7 teams, 5 sports, and maybe 3 championships in the last 20 years.

And we def don't get that much snow mostly because it doesn't get very "wet" around here. One of my past roommates came from southern China. I remember showing her pictures of snow angels, cars covered in snow, and trying to explain "wind chill" to her. But she did survive her first Midwest winter. And her first Black Friday. I won't even do that.

Aw, thanks. The one good thing about the playoffs (and the fact that we ALWAYS seem to go up against the Yankees in the first round) is that the Twins gain a lot of fans for those games...because so many people hate the Yankees!

When I lived in Oregon, I was watching a movie filmed in Minnesota and the lady I was with asked about something in the background. I said, "What, the lake?" She stared at me and then blurt out, "The LAKE freezes?!!" I thought that was hilarious.

warrior_chic
October 5th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Whodda thunk that was such a CRAZY idea? :) I love watching the international and Southern-state students around campus. They'll pull out the fur-lined parkas here in a couple weeks,and some of 'em will keep wearing them til March or April. Meanwhile, the rest of us are wearing at most sweatshirts until Thanksgiving. It's highly amusing :)

starg8fans
October 5th, 2010, 10:44 PM
That's 2 seasons more than Minnesota. We just have winter and road construction. And heaven forbid winter hold off a few weeks, or we get the extended road construction season. Last year, we had 3" of snow by the 2nd week of October, and we usually aren't done with it until mid-May. The worst being Mid-January through February where we can go weeks never getting above zero.

My dad did a lot of business with 3M here in Europe. They had a factory in Ferrania/Italy that produced 35mm film, and his company was one of their biggest customers.

I'm a complete moron when it comes to US sports and their teams. Couldn't even tell if the Twins are a football or baseball (or basketball? LOL) team. Here in Germany soccer is the most popular - pretty much the only - sport, and Munich has the team that holds the record for the most German championships. They've been off to a slow start in the national league this year since seven of their players went to the World Cup in South Africa, so they never got a real break. But internationally they've been kicking butt - again. They almost managed to win the 'triple crown' last year, i.e. the German championship, the German Cup and the European Cup. But they lost the final in the latter. In spite of their successes (or maybe because of them) they're not very well liked. They were the second soccer club in Munich, but now outclass the 'traditional' one. They've also been managed in a professional way for a very long time, so their financial standing is very good - which causes the kind of envy money usually brings with it.

Whodda thunk that was such a CRAZY idea? :) I love watching the international and Southern-state students around campus. They'll pull out the fur-lined parkas here in a couple weeks,and some of 'em will keep wearing them til March or April. Meanwhile, the rest of us are wearing at most sweatshirts until Thanksgiving. It's highly amusing :)

LOL, our winters vary from 'chilly falls' with no snow to up to two feet of snow for five months. Actually, I'm gonna have my snow tires put on next week. And they won't come off until May 1st. That's why I was really surprised when I studied in North Carolina to find the school closed after a snowfall of less than half an inch. We once got 20" in one night in Munich, and that gave you an excuse to be late for school. But you still had to get there.

warrior_chic
October 6th, 2010, 03:51 AM
In spite of their successes (or maybe because of them) they're not very well liked. They were the second soccer club in Munich, but now outclass the 'traditional' one. They've also been managed in a professional way for a very long time, so their financial standing is very good - which causes the kind of envy money usually brings with it.

In my opinion, that's why not many people like the Yankees (baseball btw). Their owner, who just recently died, built them into a financial giant. They've had something of a dynasty since Babe Ruth played in the 1920's. But they have a tendency to buy and sell players left and right, and not develop them very well. My local minor league team used to be a Yankee team, and none of them ever got called up or got to play for the Yankees in the majors. I prefer the teams that develop players.

And as for the snow, it all depends on the area. My old school district had a superintendent who was from Northern Ohio, so he was used to snow and we only got maybe 3 snow days the 4 years I was there, with the exception of one really bad week. We had so much snow that when the plows came through they blocked all the driveways with like 3 feet of snow. We do get a lot of ice (and black ice) which causes most of our traffic problems.

Crichiel
October 6th, 2010, 04:51 AM
The Twins are baseball, stars, but don't feel badly, I am clueless about soccer. As for the Yankees, it's pretty much like wc said. Many people feel like they basically buy their championships. No one else can compete with them financially. So any time another team raises a great player, the Yankees swoop in and offer them too much money for them to refuse.

In Oregon, they would also close schools and businesses at the first trace of snow. I can't even think of the last official snow day that was declared here. They get 1-2 hour delays, but the kids don't get it off. And usually, if there's a delay, it's because of the cold, not the snow. Also in Oregon, they couldn't believed we drove around in winter without chains on our tires (required for them when driving through the mountains). 1) we don't have mountains and 2) why do you think our second season is Road Construction? The hard winter destroys the roads each year, can you imagine if you added chains to everyone's tires on top of that?

Now on the flip side of this, I am a complete wuss in the heat! I love 55-75 degrees. Once you hit 85, I don't even want to move! Add humidity and I'm not leaving the air conditioning.

warrior_chic
October 6th, 2010, 05:54 AM
In Oregon, they would also close schools and businesses at the first trace of snow. I can't even think of the last official snow day that was declared here. They get 1-2 hour delays, but the kids don't get it off. And usually, if there's a delay, it's because of the cold, not the snow. Also in Oregon, they couldn't believed we drove around in winter without chains on our tires (required for them when driving through the mountains). 1) we don't have mountains and 2) why do you think our second season is Road Construction? The hard winter destroys the roads each year, can you imagine if you added chains to everyone's tires on top of that?

Now on the flip side of this, I am a complete wuss in the heat! I love 55-75 degrees. Once you hit 85, I don't even want to move! Add humidity and I'm not leaving the air conditioning.

Snow chains are actually illegal here. The plows are perfectly capable of tearing up the curbs and sidewalks by themselves.

And we get VERY humid here in the summer. This year alone, we had nearly 30 90+ degree days. Maybe half of those had at least 75% humidity. I swear, if I described Ohio's weather to a complete stranger that didn't know where the state was, they'd never be able to find it. The winter says North, the summer says Sub-tropic.

iolanda
October 6th, 2010, 07:20 AM
In spite of their successes (or maybe because of them) they're not very well liked. They were the second soccer club in Munich, but now outclass the 'traditional' one. They've also been managed in a professional way for a very long time, so their financial standing is very good - which causes the kind of envy money usually brings with it.

Or as my sisters husband put it: "Should my kid become a Bayern fan, I gonna put it for adoption." But that was before he became a father ;)

We don't get that much of snow here, it is just too warm in a city with two rivers which lies deep between hills, but we got some very cold winters with a lot of snow where I grew up. But people are used to drive under difficult conditions there, so some snow isn't a reason to not go to school. I remember just one day when there was so much snow that the busses weren't able to go to my school and I could go right back home because there wasn't anybody but me in my class, but that was it.

warrior_chic
October 6th, 2010, 07:48 AM
I think around here part of the reason they delay or close schools and businesses is because we have a lot of transplants from warmer places who can't drive worth crap in even the smallest amount of snow. So they don't go anywhere near the speed limit or they can't handle a little bit of traction loss. So it can sometimes just be safer to keep them off the roads. That's why I'm kinda glad I learned to drive in the snow before I got my liscense.

Crichiel
October 6th, 2010, 08:10 AM
We just have the first snowfall each year where everyone has to 'remember' how to drive in the snow. And yeah, the chains are illegal here, too. The snow plows don't rip up the streets so much as the constant thaw/freeze cycle does.

We also had something like 25 days 90+ with high humidity this year. Yuck.

Germany sounds milder than I thought it was. I thought you guys had winters like we do. I would love to visit sometime. My sister and her husband lived there for a couple years, they were both German majors in college and went there to have 'experience' in the culture for their teaching degrees. My first nephew was even born there.

iolanda and stars, I have to say again that both of you absolutely stun me with how good your English is. I forget all the time that it isn't your native language!

iolanda
October 6th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Thank you for the compliment :)

Germany has a pretty versatile climate and lots of micro climates. I am in the Western part and we are just about 160 miles apart from the shore of the north sea which leads to a mild climate due to the gulf stream. If you are around Berlin or so you have a much more continental climate with pretty tough winters, and if you are in the north you will have a lot of rain in winter but not too much snow (unlike last year, when they did have a lot of snow and weren't prepared for it).

starg8fans
October 6th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Yeah, thanks Crichiel.

Bavaria is close to the Alps and therefore has the harshest climate in Germany. But we also get a southerly fall wind can bring wonderful, balmy weather any time of year.

In general, Europe's climate is a lot more temperate than the States because apart from the sea and the Gulf Stream iolanda pointed out, our mountains run West-East and form a sort of natural barrier against the cold weather from the North. Your Rockies run North-South, sow the weather systems can march through pretty much unhindered. For example, New York and Naples/Italy are on the same latitude, but while New York has very serious winters Naples rarely gets temperatures below the 40s, and hardly ever snow.

RodneyIsGodney
October 6th, 2010, 10:07 AM

Well, we have haunted houses. Or at least, houses that are purported to be haunted. There's a movie called The Haunting in Connecticut that's based on true events. Then there's Dudleytown (http://www.cosmicsociety.com/hauntedct.html) one of CT's most haunted locations.

Oh, and on the weather front...right now Sam would say, "It's positively Canadian." Cold and rainy.

warrior_chic
October 6th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Yeah, iolanda and stars, I'm very impressed with your english. And especially writing it. I'm a native speaker and I can't even manage to follow grammatical rules a good chunk of the time. We actually had a couple brothers from Puerto Rico in my spanish class one year to help them transition. They almost failed the class because they couldn't write correctly. And here I am second guessing my english as I write this :) I'm also curios: do they teach, or require, english in schools over there? I know they do in some Asian countries, like Japan and China.

starg8fans
October 6th, 2010, 12:04 PM
English is mandatory in Germany for any level of schooling, so everybody's had at least 4 years of English. Still many people have problems speaking English, which is probably because we get all English language movies or TV shows dubbed, i.e. with a German voice over. In other European countries like the Netherlands or Scandinavia they get the original version with subtitles. So they're immersed in the language all the time.

Translating English into German is pretty awkward, which is why I've read nothing but English books since I was about 15 because all my favorite authors wrote in English, and I just couldn't bear read them in the translation. Hence the proficiency. And the colloquial stuff I picked up when I studied in the States for two years. That's also where I lost my British accent for good. Hey, it was North Carolina, what more can I say?

warrior_chic
October 6th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Translating English into German is pretty awkward, which is why I've read nothing but English books since I was about 15 because all my favorite authors wrote in English, and I just couldn't bear read them in the translation. Hence the proficiency. And the colloquial stuff I picked up when I studied in the States for two years. That's also where I lost my British accent for good. Hey, it was North Carolina, what more can I say?

Yeah, the South would make anyone lose an accent pretty quick. My family is from near Kentucky, which has a thick accent. So I have a little bit of one. When I was visiting Australia a few years back, I noticed I started thinking in the NZ and Aust accents, but I started speaking with a much deeper Southern accent. It was so weird. My roommate has dared be to do a scientific presentation in a South accent. And I probably would :)

Crichiel
October 6th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Translating English into German is pretty awkward

My brother-in-law thinks so. He speaks German perfectly, but when he was working as an online translator, he would only do German to English translations because he didn't have enough self-confidence to translate English to German. Which according to my sister (who also speaks fluently) and others he's known in Germany is ridiculous because he is better than anyone else they know. He just feels too self-conscious.

starg8fans
October 6th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Yeah, the South would make anyone lose an accent pretty quick. My family is from near Kentucky, which has a thick accent. So I have a little bit of one. When I was visiting Australia a few years back, I noticed I started thinking in the NZ and Aust accents, but I started speaking with a much deeper Southern accent. It was so weird. My roommate has dared be to do a scientific presentation in a South accent. And I probably would :)

I think accents are cool. They're part of your heritage. Here in Bavaria they speak a very strong regional dialect, but since my parents are from Northern Germany I only picked it up when I was a teenager. So to this day I can't speak it unless the other person does too. It was really funny, when I worked in Berlin my colleagues would ask me to speak Bavarian, and I just couldn't. But then I was on the phone with our office in Vienna (the Austrian dialect is very close to it), and when I put the phone down my colleagues were grinning from ear to ear, and when I asked why they told me I had totally spoken Bavarian.

My brother-in-law thinks so. He speaks German perfectly, but when he was working as an online translator, he would only do German to English translations because he didn't have enough self-confidence to translate English to German. Which according to my sister (who also speaks fluently) and others he's known in Germany is ridiculous because he is better than anyone else they know. He just feels too self-conscious.

I feel the same way. Compared to English German just sounds clumsy and convoluted. We need three words where you use one. Actually, I cannot write poetry in German, only in English.

RodneyIsGodney
October 6th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Guess I'm the only one that thinks it's cool living in a state that is famous for hauntings given what the show is about.:(

Silly me.

*goes back to being ignored*

iolanda
October 6th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Guess I'm the only one that thinks it's cool living in a state that is famous for hauntings given what the show is about.:(

Silly me.

Oh come one *pokes*. I am still uber proud for being praised for my English skills. Should show that to my teacher (I was pretty mediocre in languages at school)! But I guess he doesn't even remember me any more *gg*
To be honest, I even had to look up where Connecticut is, but now I know! Now wonder it's haunting there. Maine isn't that far away, right? And Stephen King must get his inspirations from somewhere...

I feel the same way. Compared to English German just sounds clumsy and convoluted. We need three words where you use one. Actually, I cannot write poetry in German, only in English.

Ah, German isn't that bad, but it is just different and it really needs more words. The German Harry Potter 6 had about 300 pages more than the Original, and that for a reason. I have the problem to think about shows I only know in English in German. I once started to write a SGA/SPN crossover, but it's nearly impossible for me to get the tone of both shows right and do it in German. And it starts with words as simple as "Dude". The correct word would be "Alter" but that sounds just silly.

warrior_chic
October 6th, 2010, 01:43 PM

Silly me.

Sorry :( Anywho. I would love to go to New England. That's much more feasible than Germany. A lot of our country's heritage is over there. I was doing a little research on an ancestor who lived in Penn and Virgina and died in NJ during the Revolution. That, and it's really pretty. How close are you to the other side of the Appalachians? Those foothills can be really beautiful in the fall.

As far as the hauntings, I watched Ghost Hunters and got into Ghost Adventures a little this summer. A lot of the cool hauntings are in those really old historic places. Some parts of my campus are supposed to be haunted, but it's nothing nearly as cool as some of the stuff I've seen on TV.

RodneyIsGodney
October 6th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Oh come one *pokes*. I am still uber proud for being praised for my English skills. Should show that to my teacher (I was pretty mediocre in languages at school)! But I guess he doesn't even remember me any more *gg*
To be honest, I even had to look up where Connecticut is, but now I know! Now wonder it's haunting there. Maine isn't that far away, right? And Stephen King must get his inspirations from somewhere...
Stephen King just happens to be my favorite writer. He lives in Bangor, Maine. I'm sure he gets a lot of inspiration from there...a lot of his stories are set in Maine.

I never had to take a language in highschool...or any school for that matter.:o

Sorry :( Anywho. I would love to go to New England. That's much more feasible than Germany. A lot of our country's heritage is over there. I was doing a little research on an ancestor who lived in Penn and Virgina and died in NJ during the Revolution. That, and it's really pretty. How close are you to the other side of the Appalachians? Those foothills can be really beautiful in the fall.
It's okay. I just...couldn't help but notice that you guys kinda...ran away with the thread a little (No offense meant!), leaving me (an maybe other US peeps) feeling like an interloper, because I'm not from the UK or Germany or Bavaria. All great places by the way!

Sorry for the rant, or whatever you want to call it, I just, I get frustrated when I type up a long post (and do a litle research for part of it) only to have it ignored or have no one respond to any part of it. Like I've done all that work for nothing. It's kinda the reason why I begged off another forum that I was, and still am, a member of. No matter what I said I was never "heard". Ah well. Again, sorry, sorry, sorry. Okay...I'll just shut up now.

The Appalachians? Uh, well, kinda close. Connecticut is East of those Mts...
http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx163/McKaysAngel/appalachians.gif

I've never been to the foothills. I've been to The Great Smoky Mountains which is a subrange of the Appalachians. A bus trip to Nashville,Tennessee when I was a teenager, had a stop over in Gatlinburg, TN.

Here's the hotel we stayed at...
http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx163/McKaysAngel/gatlinburg-hotel.jpg
The Gatlinburg Hotel...lovely views of the Smokies no matter where you look!

As far as the hauntings, I watched Ghost Hunters and got into Ghost Adventures a little this summer. A lot of the cool hauntings are in those really old historic places. Some parts of my campus are supposed to be haunted, but it's nothing nearly as cool as some of the stuff I've seen on TV.
My cousin loves Ghost Hunters. I used to watch it but...got tired of NOT seeing the supposed ghosts that they encounter. They get EVP all the time and feel cold spots, hear things and see indents on furniture (i.e. bed spreads, pillows etc...) indicating that a ghost is sitting in that spot or sat in that spot. They never actually get a ghost on film/camera. Which is what I tuned into that show in the first place. I still put it on if I'm home all day and SyFy is running a marathon.

warrior_chic
October 6th, 2010, 03:47 PM
My cousin loves Ghost Hunters. I used to watch it but...got tired of NOT seeing the supposed ghosts that they encounter. They get EVP all the time and feel cold spots, hear things and see indents on furniture (i.e. bed spreads, pillows etc...) indicating that a ghost is sitting in that spot or sat in that spot. They never actually get a ghost on film/camera. Which is what I tuned into that show in the first place. I still put it on if I'm home all day and SyFy is running a marathon.

I'll have to go find some links, but they have recorded some pretty cool stuff. It's a lot easier to look up compilations or best of specials just cause they have everything right there. They did one at a house on Wright-Patterson Air Force Base over here. They had a pretty eerie ghost/flashlight convo going. Did you see any of their Stanley Hotel eps? That is supposed to be the hotel Stephen King stayed at and was the inspiration for "The Shining".

RodneyIsGodney
October 6th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I'll have to go find some links, but they have recorded some pretty cool stuff. It's a lot easier to look up compilations or best of specials just cause they have everything right there. They did one at a house on Wright-Patterson Air Force Base over here. They had a pretty eerie ghost/flashlight convo going. Did you see any of their Stanley Hotel eps? That is supposed to be the hotel Stephen King stayed at and was the inspiration for "The Shining".
No, I didn't. Neat bit of info about SK there.:)

warrior_chic
October 6th, 2010, 04:43 PM
They did a couple of those live Halloween investigations there. I watched the one in 2008.

Here's a vid someone made of some of their best evidence. The first one is the one at Wright-Pat. It's not buffering very well at the moment, so I don't know about the rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxGwUCcowqo&feature=related

RodneyIsGodney
October 6th, 2010, 07:01 PM
They did a couple of those live Halloween investigations there. I watched the one in 2008.

Here's a vid someone made of some of their best evidence. The first one is the one at Wright-Pat. It's not buffering very well at the moment, so I don't know about the rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxGwUCcowqo&feature=related
Cool vid!

starg8fans
October 6th, 2010, 08:55 PM
It's okay. I just...couldn't help but notice that you guys kinda...ran away with the thread a little (No offense meant!), leaving me (an maybe other US peeps) feeling like an interloper, because I'm not from the UK or Germany or Bavaria. All great places by the way!

Sorry for the rant, or whatever you want to call it, I just, I get frustrated when I type up a long post (and do a litle research for part of it) only to have it ignored or have no one respond to any part of it. Like I've done all that work for nothing. It's kinda the reason why I begged off another forum that I was, and still am, a member of. No matter what I said I was never "heard". Ah well. Again, sorry, sorry, sorry. Okay...I'll just shut up now.
I didn't mean to ignore you, RiG, not even sure why I never replied to your posts. Too caught up in the ongoing discussion, I guess. But I can certainly relate to your frustration. It's been happening to me as well, and it really makes you feel awful when you get the cold shoulder like that.

Never watched Ghost Hunters myself, I just used to HATE seeing those guys traipsing across the screen in the Spn eps and ruining some beautiful shots. And TBH, I'm too much of a skeptic to take a show like that seriously. Not where ghosts themselves are concerned, I can totally get behind the fact that there are beings beyond our perception out there, but that they can actually be tracked and shown on TV. These guys need sensational stuff to show to their audience, and it's too easy to fabricate evidence if they can't find any. Or be duped by people who WANT them to think their house is haunted. Now, random ghost sightings I find more believable.

The Appalachians? Uh, well, kinda close. Connecticut is East of those Mts...
http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx163/McKaysAngel/appalachians.gif

I've never been to the foothills. I've been to The Great Smoky Mountains which is a subrange of the Appalachians. A bus trip to Nashville,Tennessee when I was a teenager, had a stop over in Gatlinburg, TN.

Here's the hotel we stayed at...
http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx163/McKaysAngel/gatlinburg-hotel.jpg
The Gatlinburg Hotel...lovely views of the Smokies no matter where you look!

Beautiful shot, RiG. I've never been to TN, only saw it from a ski resort in NC. Would that be the Smoky Mountains as well?

I've been to CN, though, we have friends in Old Greenwich. And I used to have a business partner in Stamford.

warrior_chic
October 7th, 2010, 04:47 AM
If you ever get the change to watch "Ghost Adventures" it can be pretty funny. Their "evidence" is a little sketchy, but they are so over-the-top excited it can be really hilarious to watch them flip out. My brother and I love to make fun of the "leader".

And everyone keeps telling me I need to go to that famous hotel in one of the Carolinas. I forget what it's called, does anyone know which one I'm talking about? Big tourist destination.

starg8fans
October 7th, 2010, 05:29 AM
If you ever get the change to watch "Ghost Adventures" it can be pretty funny. Their "evidence" is a little sketchy, but they are so over-the-top excited it can be really hilarious to watch them flip out. My brother and I love to make fun of the "leader".

And everyone keeps telling me I need to go to that famous hotel in one of the Carolinas. I forget what it's called, does anyone know which one I'm talking about? Big tourist destination.

If they're anything like the 'Ghostfacers' in Spn I'll pass, thanks. :S I'm not much into reality TV anyway. I have plenty of reality in my life, I watch TV to get away from it all. Hence my passion for SG-1, SGA and Spn.

And sorry, no idea what you're looking for, even though I lived in NC for two years.

warrior_chic
October 7th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Does the Biltmore (sp?) sound familiar to anyone? I think that might be what I'm after.

starg8fans
October 7th, 2010, 06:02 AM
LOL, that DOES ring a bell, my host family took me to dinner there one night. I didn't know it at the time, but you're right, there are reported hauntings there. You find more details at http://www.hauntspot.com/haunt/usa/north-carolina/the-biltmore-estate.shtml I think the headless orange cat is particularly bizarre.

Crichiel
October 7th, 2010, 06:13 AM
I can only think of one place in Minnesota that is supposed to be haunted, Glensheen Mansion. There are probably others, but I honestly don't get into that kind of thing.

warrior_chic
October 7th, 2010, 06:44 AM
The old Ohio State Reformatory is supposed to haunted. It's been closed for about 13 years, but it is a whole new level of creepy inside. There are 5 levels of cells and only a chain as a barrier from falling. Narrow, dirty, metal halls. I would not want to be in there for too long, and def not during the night.

RodneyIsGodney
October 7th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I didn't mean to ignore you, RiG, not even sure why I never replied to your posts. Too caught up in the ongoing discussion, I guess. But I can certainly relate to your frustration. It's been happening to me as well, and it really makes you feel awful when you get the cold shoulder like that.
Ah, understandable. Nice to know it's not just me.;)

Never watched Ghost Hunters myself, I just used to HATE seeing those guys traipsing across the screen in the Spn eps and ruining some beautiful shots. And TBH, I'm too much of a skeptic to take a show like that seriously. Not where ghosts themselves are concerned, I can totally get behind the fact that there are beings beyond our perception out there, but that they can actually be tracked and shown on TV. These guys need sensational stuff to show to their audience, and it's too easy to fabricate evidence if they can't find any. Or be duped by people who WANT them to think their house is haunted.
Agreed. Specially about the GF guys on SPN...HATE THEM! And I hated that they popped up in It's a Terrible Life and that Dean "Smith" and Sam "Wesson" looked to the GF website for info...I guess they had no choice in the matter eh?

Now, random ghost sightings I find more believable.
I do to. Totally. Random sightings are more exciting I think.

Beautiful shot, RiG.
Found it online.:o

I've never been to TN, only saw it from a ski resort in NC. Would that be the Smoky Mountains as well?
Would what be the Smokey Mountains? NC? Um...not sure. Maybe. I"d have tolook it up to be sure.

I've been to CN, though, we have friends in Old Greenwich. And I used to have a business partner in Stamford.
Cool.

The old Ohio State Reformatory is supposed to haunted. It's been closed for about 13 years, but it is a whole new level of creepy inside. There are 5 levels of cells and only a chain as a barrier from falling. Narrow, dirty, metal halls. I would not want to be in there for too long, and def not during the night.
That sounds positively nightmare inducing...and I don't have nightmares. Saw one episode of GH where they were at Alcatraz. Talk about spooky! The hotel episodes are kinda creepy. I like the ones where they go to "supposedly" haunted bars where they check out the cellars and everything.

warrior_chic
October 7th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I've seen a couple, on both shows, where they are at museum-type places with mannequins. Those are absolutely terrifying. I was thinking about that this morning during "Fallen Idols". I don't mind those kinds of things in a well-lit room. But in the dark they just creep me out.

Wright-Pat AFB had some of the old Air Force One's for a little. We could go through them, but they had them set up with parts behind plexiglass. I think one had a figure of FDR in his wheelchair just sitting there looking at us. It was a little unsettling.

Jack_O'Neill_fan
October 10th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I've seen a couple, on both shows, where they are at museum-type places with mannequins. Those are absolutely terrifying. I was thinking about that this morning during "Fallen Idols". I don't mind those kinds of things in a well-lit room. But in the dark they just creep me out.
Me too. *shivers* Maybe because they look so much like humans it's hard to tell if it's a mannequin or a person standing there...

There's actually a hotel about two miles from my house that's supposedly haunted. A lady was murdered in a bar fight. It's a bit creepy to be near it when you're alone.

warrior_chic
October 10th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I'm kinda surprised there aren't really any urban legends/hauntings in my hometown. We were a headquarters for the Prohibition movement during the 1920's, so most of those buildings are still there. We also are home to Ben Hanby (he wrote the Cristmas song "Up on the Rooftop") so his home is still there. We have a lot of historical buildings, but no haunted stories. There is a neighborhood near the reservoir that is still kinda undeveloped and someone's property is supposed to be haunted or inhabited by some freaky witches or something. But it's just some guys creepy property.

Jack_O'Neill_fan
October 12th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I'm kinda surprised there aren't really any urban legends/hauntings in my hometown. We were a headquarters for the Prohibition movement during the 1920's, so most of those buildings are still there. We also are home to Ben Hanby (he wrote the Cristmas song "Up on the Rooftop") so his home is still there. We have a lot of historical buildings, but no haunted stories. There is a neighborhood near the reservoir that is still kinda undeveloped and someone's property is supposed to be haunted or inhabited by some freaky witches or something. But it's just some guys creepy property.
Yeah, there's a few places like that around here too.

Here's a link to a list of haunted places in the United States, and some other countries: http://theshadowlands.net/places/ It's where I found haunted places around me.

warrior_chic
October 14th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Since Fall/Autumn is approaching those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, I thought I'd share a little of the Ohio scenery with y'all.

This is Mirror Lake. It's part of my campus.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wNEFk0hhX-M/TG1V49G-08I/AAAAAAAACX0/90IqvbSgHgU/s1600/CSAXFGAVRMXSZJO.20070822163301.jpg

And this is the same lake the Thursday before we play our big rivals in football. It's called the Jump (http://image28.webshots.com/28/4/63/96/275346396hLiSdd_ph.jpg). A few hundred students go down to Mirror Lake at about 10 pm the Thursday night, jump into the 2-3 foot deep water (with all kinds of junk on the bottom), then dash for warmth away from authority. It isn't technically sanctioned by the University, but it is clearly noticeable. Keep in mind this is Ohio, the last week of November, at night, in water. And it regularly snows during the game 2 days later.

starg8fans
October 14th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Yeah, there's a few places like that around here too.

Here's a link to a list of haunted places in the United States, and some other countries: http://theshadowlands.net/places/ It's where I found haunted places around me.

It's weird, the site doesn't work for me. The 'Haunted Places Index' sign is no link, and if I try it via the website home I just keep going back to this page. Would have been interesting to see if they have anything in Germany...

Since Fall/Autumn is approaching those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, I thought I'd share a little of the Ohio scenery with y'all.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wNEFk0hhX-M/TG1V49G-08I/AAAAAAAACX0/90IqvbSgHgU/s1600/CSAXFGAVRMXSZJO.20070822163301.jpg

Great shot, w_c. That's a really nice looking campus.

And this is the same lake the Thursday before we play our big rivals in football. It's called the Jump (http://image28.webshots.com/28/4/63/96/275346396hLiSdd_ph.jpg). A few hundred students go down to Mirror Lake at about 10 pm the Thursday night, jump into the 2-3 foot deep water (with all kinds of junk on the bottom), then dash for warmth away from authority. It isn't technically sanctioned by the University, but it is clearly noticeable. Keep in mind this is Ohio, the last week of November, at night, in water. And it regularly snows during the game 2 days later.

Sorry, the picture won't show for me, it says I don't have permission to see it. But that sounds... painful. Still, my sister gave us tickets to a football game in Tampa last xmas, and it was 42˚F! And there well still shirtless people in shorts with painted torsos there. Totally insane.

At our lake it's more the older generation who does stuff like this. There's a group of ten people who go for a swim every day of the year. You can see a picture of them opening the 'winter swimming season' here (http://www.merkur-online.de/bilder/2009/12/13/557044/244859325-starnberger-winter-baden.9.jpg). Yes, that is snow on the ground, and this was taken in December.

Melia
October 14th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I've been to Germany before. It was a graduation present/German class trip. I spent 10 days exploring the contry on a bus crowded with what I'm sure were freshman and sophmores, who drank everynight. Other then all of that it was an amazing trip and I want to go back.

I'm from Washington State, which has been the sage for ONE Supernatural episode. I'm quite proud of that.

starg8fans
October 14th, 2010, 11:42 AM
And I've been to Washington State before! :D Hubby and I were supposed to go on a cruise to Alaska, but it was canceled last minute. So we visited friends in Seattle, rented a car and did the Cascade Loop. One of the best holidays of my life.

Glad you had a good time in Germany! Yes, drinking can be a problem, especially if you're young and only used to American beer. Our local brews are quite a bit more potent. And it's legal from age 16.

Which episode was that?

Melia
October 14th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I believe it was the episode Wishful Thinking. They were in Concrete, Washington.

What part of Germany do you live in?

starg8fans
October 14th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Is that where that lake is that's featured in the episode?

I live outside of Munich, also close to a lake.

Melia
October 14th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I think so. It's where they pretend to be Teddy Bear Doctors.

We stayed just outside of Munich for two nights. I think. It was over a year ago and those ten days kind of run together.

starg8fans
October 14th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Yup, that's the one. I remember the lake and the mountains.
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt144/SupNatFans/S4%20Screencaps/Wishful%20Thinking/52.jpg

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt144/SupNatFans/S4%20Screencaps/Wishful%20Thinking/200.jpg

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt144/SupNatFans/S4%20Screencaps/Wishful%20Thinking/308.jpg

I can imagine. Those kinds of road trips just give you too many impressions in too little time to really take them all in.

Jack_O'Neill_fan
October 14th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Brr!!! I don't think I would dare do that. :)

It's weird, the site doesn't work for me. The 'Haunted Places Index' sign is no link, and if I try it via the website home I just keep going back to this page. Would have been interesting to see if they have anything in Germany...
Hm...it works for me. The links to other places are at the bottom of the original page, but here's the page for Germany:Germany (http://www.theshadowlands.net/places/germany.htm). Hope that works. :)

Jack_O'Neill_fan
October 14th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I'm from Washington State, which has been the sage for ONE Supernatural episode. I'm quite proud of that
I've been to Washington once before and loved it! :D I was on Bainbridge Island. The mountains out there are so pretty.

Melia
October 14th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I can imagine. Those kinds of road trips just give you too many impressions in too little time to really take them all in.

Oh that happened to me. Although it didn't help that there were a few people I would have gladly pushed off the bus as it was in motion.

starg8fans
October 14th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Hm...it works for me. The links to other places are at the bottom of the original page, but here's the page for Germany:Germany (http://www.theshadowlands.net/places/germany.htm). Hope that works. :)

Yup, that one worked, thanks. The only place that's close to where I am is the concentration camp in Dachau. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was haunted, given the atrocities that were committed there.

iolanda
October 14th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I think so. It's where they pretend to be Teddy Bear Doctors.

We stayed just outside of Munich for two nights. I think. It was over a year ago and those ten days kind of run together.

Where else have you been?

RodneyIsGodney
October 14th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Yup, that's the one. I remember the lake and the mountains.
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt144/SupNatFans/S4%20Screencaps/Wishful%20Thinking/52.jpg

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt144/SupNatFans/S4%20Screencaps/Wishful%20Thinking/200.jpg

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt144/SupNatFans/S4%20Screencaps/Wishful%20Thinking/308.jpg
THUNK! Sorry, couldn't help myself.:o

I've been to Texas, Tennessee, Maine, Massachusetts (several times), New York (several times), New Jersey, Vermont, Florida... and drove (not personally - wasn't yet old enough to drive) threw a number of states on the way to Texas, a concert trip.:) As well as down the Eastern seaboard on a bus trip to Fla. Also went to Block Island and Nantucket Island. Oh, and Ohio of course.;)

warrior_chic
October 14th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I have done surprising little in-country traveling. I've been to Michigan, Kentucky, W. Virginia, Missouri (drove through Indiana and Illinois to do so). I've been to the airports in Atlanta and Los Angeles, but I never left the property.
But I can't complain. I did get to spend 3 weeks as a student ambassador in Australia and New Zealand, and went on a week-long trip with my spanish class to Spain.

Melia
October 14th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I've been to Vancouver B.C.(I was three and we took the ferry up there), Washington(obviously), Idaho, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Wyoming, Colorado, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Kentucky, Arkinsas, Tennesse, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, South Dakota, New Mexico and Iowa. I was also in D.C. in one of the airports.

While I was in Germany I was in Frankfurt(the airport), Berlin, Munich, Neuschawnstein, Hamburg, Cologne, Oberammergau, Nuremburg, Dresden and Dauchau. I'm sure I'm missing some but these are the ones I can remember.

And I've flown over most of Canada, Iceland, Greenland, Scotland, and Denmark.

starg8fans
October 14th, 2010, 09:21 PM
In the States, I've been to Hawaii, Washington, California, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, Michigan, Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida.

As for the rest of the world, let's just say I've been to every continent except Antarctica. My dad had to travel a lot for business, and he tried to schedule his trips around our school holidays so we could combine them with a family vacation.

warrior_chic
October 15th, 2010, 06:16 AM
I've been to Vancouver B.C.(I was three and we took the ferry up there), Washington(obviously), Idaho, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Wyoming, Colorado, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Kentucky, Arkinsas, Tennesse, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, South Dakota, New Mexico and Iowa. I was also in D.C. in one of the airports.

While I was in Germany I was in Frankfurt(the airport), Berlin, Munich, Neuschawnstein, Hamburg, Cologne, Oberammergau, Nuremburg, Dresden and Dauchau. I'm sure I'm missing some but these are the ones I can remember.

And I've flown over most of Canada, Iceland, Greenland, Scotland, and Denmark.

Well aren't you just the little globe trotter :)

And stars, it makes me a little sad that you've been more places in my own country than I have. My dad and brother don't like to travel, so the farthest we could manage to get them to go was Deerborn, MI. My mom are about to abandon them someday and just go roadtrippin' across the country without them.

starg8fans
October 15th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Yes, I've been incredibly fortunate.

It's too bad that there are such opposite interests in your family. But you're absolutely right, you're a family but you're not joined at the hip. If you and your mom wanna go and see that wonderful country of yours, go for it. It's no use dragging the men along, they'll just make you miserable if that's not what they want. My sister had the same problem with her American boyfriend. It took her several years to convince him to come to Europe with her, to at least see where she comes from.

warrior_chic
October 15th, 2010, 09:25 AM
My roommate and a friend and I are trying to go to Chicago to see a concert at the beginning of our winter break. That will be my first time there. I'm getting excited. I'll be even more excited if we can find tickets to the show.

Crichiel
October 15th, 2010, 09:53 AM
I just got back from my third convention in Chicago (2 Stargate, and 1 Supernatural) and I've seen nothing of it except the O'Hare airport-area hotels!! I keep saying someday I'll go and actually make it into the city! :o

warrior_chic
October 15th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I just got back from my third convention in Chicago (2 Stargate, and 1 Supernatural) and I've seen nothing of it except the O'Hare airport-area hotels!! I keep saying someday I'll go and actually make it into the city! :o

Well, I think the scenery in the hotel/convention center would be much better than the rest of the city :) at least for last weekend.

Crichiel
October 15th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Well, I think the scenery in the hotel/convention center would be much better than the rest of the city :) at least for last weekend.

How very true! :D

starg8fans
October 15th, 2010, 01:12 PM

Welcome back, Crichiel! Hope you had an awesome time. We saw Jensen gatecrashing the Jared/Misha panel on video. Were you there?

It's hard to compete with hotties like this, but Chicago is actually really beautiful. We visited with my husband's cousin who's a real architecture buff, and she showed us all these gorgeous art deco buildings. I had no idea the city had so many great sights.

Crichiel
October 15th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Welcome back, Crichiel! Hope you had an awesome time. We saw Jensen gatecrashing the Jared/Misha panel on video. Were you there?

Yep! We were way in the back, but from the screams, we immediately knew what was happening. They were so awesome, the three of them up there together!

starg8fans
October 15th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I can imagine. Hopefully I'll get to go to an Spn convention with all three of them at some point.

warrior_chic
October 15th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I can imagine. Hopefully I'll get to go to an Spn convention with all three of them at some point.

Me too. that's my fear with the stargate cons. Now that SG1 and SGA are over, i'm afraid my favorites will stop coming, or at least not as frequently. Guess I better get myself to a con soon so I can see our gorgeous trio.

iolanda
October 15th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Me too. that's my fear with the stargate cons. Now that SG1 and SGA are over, i'm afraid my favorites will stop coming, or at least not as frequently. Guess I better get myself to a con soon so I can see our gorgeous trio.

My experience with SG: the more the series are over the more you meet the guys at cons. I thought that I'll never gonna meet Michael Shanks or David Hewlett, and now I've seen Michael on three cons and David twice! Which is great of course, but it sadly also means that the guys aren't full employed, so as much as I hope to see the SPN-trio one day I hope it's not because they have too much time.

warrior_chic
October 24th, 2010, 07:51 AM
My experience with SG: the more the series are over the more you meet the guys at cons. I thought that I'll never gonna meet Michael Shanks or David Hewlett, and now I've seen Michael on three cons and David twice! Which is great of course, but it sadly also means that the guys aren't full employed, so as much as I hope to see the SPN-trio one day I hope it's not because they have too much time.

I always hope that these actors realize how much we support them. These guys could be 90-years old, and they'd prob still get a decent turnout if they went to a convention.

Anywho, not that the leaves are finally starting to change colors, I thought I'd share a little with you.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/wnhs_2008/OSU/DSCN5143.jpg
I took this pic on campus between some of the lab buildings last weekend. I'm hoping to go out next weekend and get some more beautiful shots.

How is the fall in Germany? I'm not sure I've ever really seen any photos that weren't taken in summer or winter, and those were all pro shots of castles.

iolanda
October 24th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Fall looks pretty much the same, but I'll make some photos in the next few days. =)

warrior_chic
October 24th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Fall looks pretty much the same, but I'll make some photos in the next few days. =)

Yay! I'm a photog nerd, so I love looking at peoples' photographs. And it's nice to live along the longitude we do b/c we have multiple seasons- beautiful colors in the Fall, pretty Winters, bright Springs.

iolanda
January 10th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I didn't really manage to make some photos before yesterday, when I want to make some of the current flooding.

But, hey, those guys even make a show in my town, and it has some nice views from my city:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiRUJ_gh1sc