Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Wars 3D

http://starwars.com/movies/saga/announce3d/index.html

Lucasfilm Ltd. announced today that the live-action Star Wars Saga will be converted to 3D! There are few movies that lend themselves more perfectly to 3D; from the Death Star trench run to the Tatooine Podrace, the Star Wars Saga has always delivered an entertainment experience that is completely immersive. Presented by Twentieth Century Fox and Lucasfilm Ltd., the cutting edge conversion will take that immersion to the next thrilling level, with Industrial Light & Magic supervising the project. Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace is expected to be released theatrically in 2012. A release date has not yet been determined.

"Getting good results on a stereo conversion is a matter of taking the time and getting it right," said John Knoll, Visual Effects Supervisor for Industrial Light & Magic. "It takes a critical and artistic eye along with an incredible attention to detail to be successful. It is not something that you can rush if you want to expect good results. For Star Wars we will take our time, applying everything we know both aesthetically and technically to bring audiences a fantastic new Star Wars experience."

To see an exclusive video with Knoll discussing his role in 3D stereo conversion, click on the image below to be taken to our video player.

--

Well we knew it was coming, but I am at least glad they aren't starting with the original trilogy. I guess this means we should expect Star Wars on Blu-Ray soon.

sigpic

3D is just a gimmick to me so I could care less.

Comment

It is a gimmick, but if it means getting HD Star Wars, then I'd be willing to up with a 3D version so long as it comes with Special Edition HD and original trilogy HD.

sigpic

Comment

I've been waiting for a release for ages, I was only able to see episode III in the cinema due to my age. I don't know how 3D conversion works but when my girlfriend asked me if the BTTF theatrical re release (UK only) would be in 3D I ruled it out on the basis of I thought 3D was something that needed to be specially filmed because you needed the right camera angles and things like that.
        Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Time for George Lucas to do more George Lucasy stuff with the films, who will shoot first this time?
          Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
            3D is just a gimmick to me so I could care less.
            same
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I've liked the recent 3d films I've seen lately in the cinema.
              Saw Avatar when the first release came out amazing in 3D (wasn't quite the same when I borrowed my bro's bluray to re-watch it, still an outstanding film IMO though), Alice in Wonderland and Resident Evil After Life (not the best of the series, but it was enhanced by the 3D aspects of it).

I read recently that the 6 Star Wars films were due for release on Bluray next year some time, it's mentioned in this article:
              http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20018001-17.html

It could be worth waiting for the 3D releases if you're into it and have compatible equipment.
              Undoubtedly George Lucas will release both Bluray with and without 3D, to make as much more money out of the features as possible.
              Since 3D's possible with standard HDTVs I think the whole thing of needing a new TV and Bluray (PS3 can have a firmware update to make it 3D compatible so why not regular stand alone movie players?) player is a gimmic.
              I realise that the new kind of 3D is different to the old anaglyph standard, but the new type can as I understand it be achieved with a TV that possesses a high enough refresh rate.
              I'm unsure about the need for the glasses with shutter capabilities and cinemas are doing fine with the polarized ones.

Comment

Actually, Star Wars on BD was announced a while back. I even posted it in this forum

Honestly I think the only thing surprising about this is that Cameron beat Lucas to the punch.
                Last edited by DigiFluid; 12 October 2010, 07:41 PM.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Although I'd like to see a Star Wars flim in 3D.

My thoughts are...
                  I enjoyed each flim in 2D. And they were great.

And 'If it's not broke. Don't fix it!'

ttyl
                  Starfist
                  "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                  Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                  Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                  Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                  I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                  To thy own self... Be true
                  May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Working...
                  X