Delenn's aborted sex change ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delenn's aborted sex change ?

I've just read in this wikipedia article (end of 2nd paragraph) that the character of Delenn was originally intended to be male and was to undergo a sex change at the end of season 1.

This raises an interesting question: was the eventual romance between Sheridan and Delenn also a part of this original plan, or was their relationship a later development of the plot, after Delenn was permanently assigned as female?

If the former, then Babylon 5 missed an opportunity to be much more groundbreaking than it already was!

I read about this a long time ago. I'm actually glad that JMS went ahead with keeping Delenn female through the whole series. For one thing, we wouldn't have had Mira Furlan if they went through with this sex change idea. Not having her on the show would have been a far bigger missed opportunity.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
      For one thing, we wouldn't have had Mira Furlan if they went through with this sex change idea. Not having her on the show would have been a far bigger missed opportunity.
      This actually is not true. Mira Furlan would have been on the show, but her makeup would be more androgynous and her voice would have been digitally altered.

The only reason JMS didn't go through with the "male Delenn" was because the voice alteration sounded like cr*p. They had already cast Mira Furlan.
      sigpic
      Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Originally posted by Ulkesh47 View Post
        This actually is not true. Mira Furlan would have been on the show, but her makeup would be more androgynous and her voice would have been digitally altered.

The only reason JMS didn't go through with the "male Delenn" was because the voice alteration sounded like cr*p. They had already cast Mira Furlan.
        Interesting. I never heard that bit of information about Delenn until you just pointed that out. Now I'm even more glad they kept Mira's voice and the character's gender intact. Bad voice-overs can ruin a character or a show.
        sigpic

Comment

Correct me if i am wrong, but i think Delenn is actually male in the pilot.

Only in regular season 1 did they decide that she would be female from the beginning, explaining the "rougher" look of the pilot.

EDIT: Never mind, the same is written on the wikipedia article .

Comment

Working...
          X