Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you rate B5's continuing popularity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you rate B5's continuing popularity?

Hi folks. As a long-standing B5 fan myself, I nevertheless find it interesting that this show still seems to be popular. After all, in many ways it's really showing its age compared to modern productions. While you could argue that this is only because of the standard of set production and post-production CGI used at the time (and incurred by the modest budget available - even though they did very well indeed within that budget), the basic concepts such as planned story arcs have been attempted by so many other shows in the years since that I often feel that B5 is in danger of becoming dated simply by dint of having been emulated. Much as Douglas Adams' humour is now old hat because of all the copy cats since his time, even though it was fresh and fascinating when new.

So, allowing for the fact that anyone reading this is going to be a member of a self-selecting group in the first place, what is your general impression of the continuing popularity of B5 in the wider world?

As an example, I was browsing Amazon the other day and noticed that while season 1 of Farscape is still retailing at at least £45 (more or less its price when new), a season of B5 will now only set you back a tenner. Can we use this price comparison as a metric of those two shows' enduring popularity? Can we say that Farscape is a more popular purchase and therefore retains a bigger fan base?

I just started watching B5, got it from a friend, I'm only halfway through S1, but I like very much. You can see that it's not a modern show, but I was surprised how up-to-date the themes and the conflicts are. So maybe it's a reason for the popularity that people still can identify themselfes with the show or the characters.
    sigpic

Comment

Babylon 5 CGI was bad in the 90's.
      But it was about more than just...CGI that's what made it great.

Comment

It's timeless classic Sci-Fi and will be remembered, can't say the same for other sci-fi, especially most of the ones on these days, like right now, yes I said it, bring back Angel and Firefly and all the other good stuff.

Comment

Star Trek Voyager hired the same company that did the S1-S3 FX on B5. And you can tell how much better their FX were on their first ep...

Imo some of the FX hold up even today.

Babylon 5 *pioneered* TV FX.
          sigpic
          Mourning Sanctuary.
          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
            Star Trek Voyager hired the same company that did the S1-S3 FX on B5. And you can tell how much better their FX were on their first ep...
            Also, because of a deadline, that team recycled the basic CGI models for the Shadows for Species 8472; and the Vorlon ships for 8472's bio-ships. They also took the CGI model of the Na'ka'leen feeder from "Grail" and used it for the virus in "Macrocosm".

Originally posted by suse View Post
            Babylon 5 *pioneered* TV FX.
            Indeed they did. In all seriousness, most of B5's FX still hold up brilliantly, but there was a marked improvement in some areas after Season 1.

B5's continuing popularity... I believe that B5 has a remarkably devoted cult fanbase; it's one of the premiere cult shows, actually. It also continues to grow primarily through word of mouth because most networks don't air the reruns. This is unfortunate, but it's nice to know that new fans are still being converted today!

Here's the bottom line for B5's place in television history...

"What is built endures, and what is loved endures. And Babylon 5... Babylon 5 endures." - Delenn
            sigpic
            Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Thanks for the replies. As a "fan" I tend to operate in isolation in the sense that I don't frequent places like this much, or go to cons (unless I'm trying to sell something). So it's nice to get a few views from "out there".

I suppose everyone here would agree that the opportunity for future shows is long past? Lost Tales must surely be dead and each year that passes makes it far more difficult to resurrect the original cast. I suppose one day we could be looking at a new (replacement) cast, but then that would almost be a new show by definition and deserving of a new name.

Comment

Originally posted by Setiform View Post
                Hi folks. As a long-standing B5 fan myself, I nevertheless find it interesting that this show still seems to be popular. After all, in many ways it's really showing its age compared to modern productions. While you could argue that this is only because of the standard of set production and post-production CGI used at the time (and incurred by the modest budget available - even though they did very well indeed within that budget), the basic concepts such as planned story arcs have been attempted by so many other shows in the years since that I often feel that B5 is in danger of becoming dated simply by dint of having been emulated. Much as Douglas Adams' humour is now old hat because of all the copy cats since his time, even though it was fresh and fascinating when new.

So, allowing for the fact that anyone reading this is going to be a member of a self-selecting group in the first place, what is your general impression of the continuing popularity of B5 in the wider world?

As an example, I was browsing Amazon the other day and noticed that while season 1 of Farscape is still retailing at at least £45 (more or less its price when new), a season of B5 will now only set you back a tenner. Can we use this price comparison as a metric of those two shows' enduring popularity? Can we say that Farscape is a more popular purchase and therefore retains a bigger fan base?
                I think that a lot of people are willing to overlook the fact that it's showing its age tech-wise in favor of the larger story and that it's that story that ensures B5's continuing popularity. Will it ever be as popular as some shows? No, of course not. I enjoyed watching Farscape too, but in terms of story, they're very different creatures and some people are just not going to get B5. It's only important that you get B5
                sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by Setiform View Post
                  Thanks for the replies. As a "fan" I tend to operate in isolation in the sense that I don't frequent places like this much, or go to cons (unless I'm trying to sell something). So it's nice to get a few views from "out there".

I suppose everyone here would agree that the opportunity for future shows is long past? Lost Tales must surely be dead and each year that passes makes it far more difficult to resurrect the original cast. I suppose one day we could be looking at a new (replacement) cast, but then that would almost be a new show by definition and deserving of a new name.
                  JMS has said that the only thing he would green-light for B5 at this point would be a theatrical film. A film about the Telepath War would be great, but I'm not holding my breath.
                  sigpic

Comment

I wish I could see it pop up more often in passing. It is still one of my favorites, and has stood up fairly well.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                      I think that a lot of people are willing to overlook the fact that it's showing its age tech-wise in favor of the larger story and that it's that story that ensures B5's continuing popularity. Will it ever be as popular as some shows? No, of course not. I enjoyed watching Farscape too, but in terms of story, they're very different creatures and some people are just not going to get B5. It's only important that you get B5
                      I think that the people who get B5 probably can overlook the CGI. It's nice to have great special effects, but a poor story is far more likely to cause a series to fail, and conversely, cause it to become a cult classic. (Actually, it was the makeup and hair that made the series seem dated to me, LOL!) All CGI will seem outdated eventually, but a good story will live on. Like reading a classic novel, eventually one stops hearing the antiquated language. I stopped seeing the primitive CGI. And the bright red lipstick!

I kept hearing people refer to B5 with all kinds of glowing praise, and finally decided to watch it just this year. It has exceeded my expectations.

As for the price of it- I think that has nothing to do with popularity, it has to do with the number of DVDs on the market. These series have been over with for a long time, and a popular series might have more copies available. Maybe the Farscape DVDs cost more simply because they're rarer. I bought a book the other day that was nowhere near a bestseller when it was printed thirty years ago, but it cost a lot because it was very hard to find. But I bet I could pick up a copy of the Bible (the all-time bestselling book) for fifty cents.

Comment

yeah, I can overlook CGI and the whole rest of the 'look' if the story is there and oh boy, is the story there
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                          yeah, I can overlook CGI and the whole rest of the 'look' if the story is there and oh boy, is the story there
                          Yes, it really is! But B5 really lives on by word of mouth- a casual glance at it and probably people will roll their eyes (like some of my family members). I'm not a fan of aliens at all, but G'kar and Londo are so well-done, it's a pity if people can't get past that.

Comment

yeah, it's word of mouth but isn't it kind of neat when you pass on B5 to someone else and then they get hooked? There's that moment when they're "I never even knew this existed!"
                            It's a good day
                            sigpic

Comment

B5 does seem to be more living by word of mouth as another post already stated. Most of the sci-fi people I know at the moment don't or haven't watched it. Atleast I can talk about it when I want on a forum like this.

I will admit at first judging solely on it's cg I thought it would be cheesey. But I gave it a shot anyway and I must of rewatched it 2 times atleast now. I think I still have to rewatch it to get all in. The story is probably one of the best I ever known. I think the characters are amazing with G'kar being my fav. of them all. I think he and I would get along great if I were on the station.
                              The worship of Talos is strictly forbidden!

Comment

Working...
                              X