O'Neill after "Moebius."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O'Neill after "Moebius."

After "Moebius," we got to see General O'Neill in four more episodes. Did you like how Richard-Dean Anderson and the writers handled his recurring role?

RDA's Guest Episodes
    9-1 "Avalon, Part 1"
    9-3 "Origin"
    10-6 "200"
    10-14 "The Shroud"

I was dissapointed that he wasn't in "Unending," but I think that had to do with a contract. He signed on for five episodes in the 2006-07 season; two were for SG-1, three were for Atlantis. All five episodes had been filmed when SG-1's cancellation had been announced. I figure it's either that or he just wasn't available on short notice.

I think it's more likely that they simply couldn't afford to have him. Mallozzi hasn't been shy about saying how expensive he makes himself, apparently they could commission quite a few space battles for the same money.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
      I think it's more likely that they simply couldn't afford to have him. Mallozzi hasn't been shy about saying how expensive he makes himself, apparently they could commission quite a few space battles for the same money.
      and the space battles are worth every penny!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
        After "Moebius," we got to see General O'Neill in four more episodes. Did you like how Richard-Dean Anderson and the writers handled his recurring role?
        Not really, no. Let me say that I'm a huge Jack/RDA fangirl, but I wasn't impressed with his cameos in Avalon and Origin. I thought he was wasted in them; instead of actually doing something he was used to crack jokes and tell the audience how awesome his replacement was going to be. And despite all my love for RDA, the scenes weren't well acted either.

Now, I did like him in 200 and his scenes were probably the funniest, but he wasn't enough in it for my taste. He was back, TPTB should have used him to his full potential. I'm also a little pissed that he was excluded from the Oz gag that he'd created in the first place. That was really classless TPTB.

The Shroud is a bit more problematic for me. Bar 1-2 scenes I thought his acting was actually better, but as a team fan and S/J shipper I couldn't help but be disappointed that he interacted almost exclusively with Daniel. Yes, I know it was a Daniel-focused ep but I still would have preferred his screentime to be a bit more evenly split between Daniel, Teal'c and Sam (and possibly Vala, b/c I'm curious how they'd interact with each other). With apologies to my J/D friends.

I was dissapointed that he wasn't in "Unending," but I think that had to do with a contract. He signed on for five episodes in the 2006-07 season; two were for SG-1, three were for Atlantis.
        Actually, he signed on fully expecting to be filming 5 SG-1 episodes and wasn't particularly thrilled about TPTB moving him over to Atlantis. Fans of both shows weren't very happy about it either.

All five episodes had been filmed when SG-1's cancellation had been announced. I figure it's either that or he just wasn't available on short notice.
        I don't remember when RDA's episodes were filmed, but at the time of filming Unending he was already in Vancouver (he was attending some charity or something, I believe) and we'll never know if he would have been available on such short notice since he wasn't even asked. That's why I blame TPTB for Jack's absence in the finale of the series he starred in for 8 years; because not even bothering to ask is in really poor taste.
        Last edited by Petra; 21 September 2010, 08:40 AM. Reason: grammar is so not my friend today
        There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
        sigpic
        awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

the series he starred in for 8 years, because not even bothering to ask is in really poor taste.
          I remember saying something similar a while back and i got my six chewed out for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
            As for Unending, I don't remember when RDA's episodes were filmed, but at the time of filming Unending he was already in Vancouver (he was attending some charity or something, I believe) and we'll never know if he'd be available on such short notice since he wasn't even asked. That's why I blame TPTB for Jack's absence in the finale of the series he starred in for 8 years, because not even bothering to ask is in really poor taste.
            Yeah, either that or they just didn't have the money to hire him that late in the season.

Comment

Yeah, either that or they just didn't have the money to hire him that late in the season.
              Yeah, but it wouldn't have cost anything to mention Jack in the finale; as Petra said it was poor taste

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                I remember saying something similar a while back and i got my six chewed out for it.
                I suppose a lot depends on where you make such comments. I know that the issue was discussed at length (and politely) in Season 10 Critique thread, without any problems.

Besides it's my honest opinion and I'm not going to apologise for it or take it back.

You keep talking about the money issue but it really doesn't have anything to do with what my problem is. Yes, it's possible that they didn't have enough money. It's also possible, albeit less likely, that they did. It's possible that given the somewhat special circumstances RDA might have been talked into agreeing to be paid less than his usual fare. We'll never know because no one even tried to raise the issue with him. It's about the lack of common courtesy, not about the money.

Anyway, I said my piece and I think I'm done here.
                There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                sigpic
                awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Common courtesy? I can't find the words to describe how ridiculous that notion is.

Comment

What is "expensive" as what is expensive to one series may be cheap to another. We talking $1,000,000+? $100,000+?

I have no idea how much any of these people make.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
                      I suppose a lot depends on where you make such comments. I know that the issue was discussed at length (and politely) in Season 10 Critique thread, without any problems.

Besides it's my honest opinion and I'm not going to apologise for it or take it back.

You keep talking about the money issue but it really doesn't have anything to do with what my problem is. Yes, it's possible that they didn't have enough money. It's also possible, albeit less likely, that they did. It's possible that given the somewhat special circumstances RDA might have been talked into agreeing to be paid less than his usual fare. We'll never know because no one even tried to raise the issue with him. It's about the lack of common courtesy, not about the money.

Anyway, I said my piece and I think I'm done here.
                      We don't know that. We as fans are not aware of everything that goes behind the scenes. In addition it makes little sense for the premise of Unending for the head of Homeworld Security to be riding on the Odyssey for who knows how many weeks.
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                        What is "expensive" as what is expensive to one series may be cheap to another. We talking $1,000,000+? $100,000+?

I have no idea how much any of these people make.
                        I don't know, but if it was the equivalent to a few space battles worth of CG then it must have been quite a lot.

Comment

I'm in agreement with everything that Petra said about how RDA was used or not used after Moebius. I have read comments from RDA (though I can't find them at this time to link to) that when he signed on for those extra 5 episodes, it was his understanding that they were all going to be on SG1, and when he showed up for work he discovered he was going to be working on SGA. Communications between parties seems to have been very lacking in that organization. And as to whether he was in "Unending", it would not have been difficult to have at least a cameo appearance at the beginning of the episode as Landry and SG1 went off on their mission. And to have no mention of him at all during their 50 years stranded in the time bubble (or whatever) is practically criminal in my opinion. At the very least, when Sam was getting to say goodbye to Thor, Thor could have mentioned O'Neill.

I have also read that when he decided to leave the series, and was offered bundles of money to continue at least on a part time basis, he was said to have told them he had more than enough money and didn't need any more, so that wasn't enough to entice him into continuing in the series. So personally, I don't see how that could be a reason for not being able to get him to do a few guest appearances on the show. He was more than willing to come back, and I doubt very much that money was a consideration to him at that time in his life. He's said quite a few times he missed "the kids" and liked the idea of getting to "play with them" on SG1 again, so in my opinion money is a non-issue.

Anyways, in staying on topic here, I really didn't think he was well used in the last two seasons of SG1, nor on SGA.

Comment

A lot of people say RDA phoned it in during Seasons 7 and 8, but I enjoyed his acting right through the end of "Moebius, Part 2." In Season 9's "Avalon, Part 1" and "Origin," he seemed to lack energy. While I enjoyed the cameos, I got the impression that it would be the last we'd see of O'Neill. After a year's absense, he seemed to miss the show and willing to come back for a recurring role. I do remember reading that all five episodes would be for SG-1 and that he was looking forward to giving O'Neill closure. Then we learn that three episodes would be for Atlantis. I like that the episodes were spread across both shows. I was just frustrated with his SG-1 episodes. If he's going to be two, couldn't they have both been big event episodes such as "The Shroud?" I didn't care for the premise of "200." Had there been a story instead of a string of unrelated jokes, I might have enjoyed it more.

Basically; we get two cameos, a comedy, and a Jack-Daniel episode. Speaking of which, it's funny... "The Shroud" is the only episode where O'Neill gets involved with the Ori storyline.

Comment

I didn't list those episodes; because I am strictly talking about STARGATE SG-1.

Comment

Working...
                              X