Can Destiny survive re-entry? SPOILERS S1 and 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Destiny survive re-entry? SPOILERS S1 and 2

We know that Destiny can go into a sun, but that is only because of its "solar powered" shields and there is little vibrations and resistance when it enters a sun. What about re-entry, we know it can withstand the heat, but it is so old now, could it withstand the intense resistance and vibrations of an atmosphere. ...
    Last edited by General Jumper One; 11 September 2010, 10:01 PM.

If the ship can stand going so close to a star, then I believe it can successfully enter or re-enter an atmosphere.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

if it recharges both re-entry them IMo yes.
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

there is little vibrations and resistance when it enters a sun.
        anything a planet/atmosphere can do, a star does better.

if it can fly into a sun, it can fly into an atmosphere.

the sun has stronger magnetic fields, a million degrees atmosphere, then the actual surface is thousands of degrees. it also has millions of times higher gravity.

Comment

I would think that to would be able to as there is more turbulence when passing into the corona of a star and there is more extremes of gravity than the entry/re-entry to a planet so i would have to say yes from the evidence that has been provided thus far
          sigpic
          Dr. Nicholas Rush: Ultimately, I control this ship.
          Watching:How I Met your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, Warehouse 13, Alphas, Glee, Fringe, The Mentalist, Castle, Sanctuary | Re-watching: SG1, SGU

Comment

I think it can survive , the next question would be " can it pass trow Jupiter "
            sigpic
            Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
            StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
            GW member infractions : 1

Comment

no. it has a solid core.

Comment

It's a space-ship built by the ancients, chances are... it can handle planetary atmosphere. The question is, can it land? It seems massive. Generally in science-fiction, the mothership stays in space. To get to the planet below, the crew would leave in a shuttle of some kind. Then again, this is Stargate... We've seen Goa'uld pyramid ships land with ease as well as Earth's full-size starships. Ultimately, it's just a question of wether this paticular ship was designed with planetary landing in mind.

I found a picture of the underside of the ship: click here.

Comment

somehow Atlantis can land on both water and land, and we have seen it's underside, so Destiny might have a way to

Comment

inertial dampeners negate the forces of attaction if needed, so they could land on it as if they're landing on an asteroid, with minimal structural stress

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                      somehow Atlantis can land on both water and land, and we have seen it's underside, so Destiny might have a way to
                      Atlantis isn't a space ship, it's a city. The city's flight capabilities are meant for relocation. Obviously, it has to land. A large scale space ship doesn't have to land if it has a shuttle fleet that can visit planets.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                        Atlantis isn't a space ship, it's a city. The city's flight capabilities are meant for relocation. Obviously, it has to land. A large scale space ship doesn't have to land if it has a shuttle fleet that can visit planets.
                        except that Destiny formally had 3 shuttles, now it has one, the shuttle fleet won't work, and 3 shuttles isn't a lot

Comment

the fastest and easiest way for anyone to repair Destiny would be for it to land on a planet

Comment

nope. it would be better if it stayed in space.

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                              We know that Destiny can go into a sun, but that is only because of its "solar powered" shields and there is little vibrations and resistance when it enters a sun. What about re-entry, we know it can withstand the heat, but it is so old now, could it withstand the intense resistance and vibrations of an atmosphere. ...
                              Did the Destiny not enter the atmosphere of a gas giant planet in order to change course and fly to a star?

It seemed to withstand the intense resistance and vibrations then...
                              sigpic
                              ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Working...
                              X