Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destiny's entertain

So,

Anyone think we'll finally see what the ancients did when they weren't inventing useless gadgets? Holo-shed? Relax-gel baths? Sports equipment? thumb screws?

What would you do with all the cool stuff they had?

On a related subject, have we ever seen an ancient child, or anything to do with childcare?
    Dalek: You are an associate of the Doctor. Records indicate you will show mercy.
    Song: I'm River Song, you better check your records again.
    Dalek A moments pause: Mercy!
    Song: Louder!
    Dalek louder: Mercy!
    Song: One more time.
    Dalek panic: Mercy!!!

Dalek dust drifts away.

They would use this useless gadgets. Obvious. As for sports, all they need to stay in shape was their legs and arms. One to run and the other to pull things up.
    sigpic
    - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Originally posted by YsoL8 View Post
      So,

Anyone think we'll finally see what the ancients did when they weren't inventing useless gadgets? Holo-shed? Relax-gel baths? Sports equipment? thumb screws?
      That would be something fun to see but in a dramatic fiction like SGU, it's very unlikely :s
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nataku27 View Post
        That would be something fun to see but in a dramatic fiction like SGU, it's very unlikely :s
        That is possible, but personally I hope not. One thing that has struck me again and again throughout the franchise is that (at least until they ascended) the Ancients were as human as we are. They made poor decisions, they were arrogant, they put their own interests above those of others. They may have had much cooler toys than we do, and they certainly displayed the better aspects of human nature along with the darker ones, but they were hardly the humanist ideal we see in Star Trek - where it is accepted that centuries of advancement is all thats required to turn us all into nice guys. In Stargate, the more powerful tech often leads to bigger problems (weapons testing destroying not simply an island ecosystem but a whole solar system).

What I have enjoyed about SGU is that it has brought that exploration of human nature back to its roots. And that gives me hope that if Eli discovers a computer game it won't turn out to be a planetary anthropological experiment but Civilization XXIV. After all, along with the aforementioned oft recurring good and bad sides to human nature, one thing that has remained true throughout our history is our need for entertainment. Whether it is the stories told by the fire or the 3D IMAX theatre, we need something to enjoy to make the rest of our lives worth living. And Destiny must have some form of this.
        "The laws of favours are amongst the most fundamental in the multiverse. The first law is: nobody asks for just one favour; the second request (after the granting of the first favour), prefaced by ‘and can I be really cheeky…?’ is the asking of the second favour. If the aforesaid second request is not granted, the second law ensures that the need for any gratitude for the first favour is nullified, and in accordance with the third law the favour giver has not done any favours at all, and the favour field collapses." - Terry Pratchett.

Comment

I would like them to use a quick-fix like "we repaired a sheild generator, and got to explore these rooms" You would think there would be kitchens, and rec rooms, and labs. Like atlantis has labs, this is a ship going from galaxy to galaxy wouldnt there be more place to analyze stuff. As well as containment vessels and stuff. I guess the ancients were planning on bringing stuff with them, but you think they would have left more than beds on the ship.

Comment

Working...
          X