PDA

View Full Version : "Common Descent" (217) Pre-Airing Discussion/Speculation Thread

PG15
August 20th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Writer: Rob Cooper
Director: ?

---

And that's it, folks! Every episode slot has been filled!

We called up Rob and gave him notes on his final script of the season, episode #217, Common Descent.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2010/08/20/august-20-2010-an-all-encompassing-meandering-rant-production-developments-mailbag/

There was one previous mention:

The rest of the day was spent yakking about Carl’s first draft of Hope, episode #14, my outline for The Hunt, episode #16, and whether or not Radio, episode #18, still worked given the preceding episode.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2010/06/25/june-25-2010-sayanora-rob-san/

...So I guess if "Radio" doesn't work out, we'll still have an episode title left.

DigiFluid
August 20th, 2010, 11:59 PM
FINALLY the last episode title. My Excel spreadsheets were getting angry with me!

PG15
August 21st, 2010, 12:15 AM
And so was my Word document!

DigiFluid
August 21st, 2010, 12:32 AM
I have so many TV and movie spreadsheets it's not even funny :D

Jper
August 21st, 2010, 05:31 AM
Maybe you guys need to get out more? :p ;) :D Look for a new hobby? :D I suggest baking cookies. :D

PrincessJ88
August 21st, 2010, 05:35 AM
Interesting title that's for sure. Descent would suggest falling or downward actions.....the common part of the title puzzles me though

Naonak
August 21st, 2010, 06:08 AM
Hmm.

In evolutionary biology, a group of organisms have common descent if they have a common ancestor.

Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_descent).

themeatcleaver
August 21st, 2010, 07:13 AM
just wondering what someone would do with a spreadsheet of episode titles...

/just curious :)

jelgate
August 21st, 2010, 08:15 AM

I keep spreadsheets of episode titles to collect rating numbers

DigiFluid
August 21st, 2010, 03:36 PM

Nothing world-stopping-ly-exciting :)

One example (http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/8127/sguchar.jpg)
A second (http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/6484/sgchron.jpg)

The Swarm
August 23rd, 2010, 02:02 AM
Hmmm, dont know what to make of it...

We could use some episode descriptions.

Spimman
August 24th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Hmm.

In evolutionary biology, a group of organisms have common descent if they have a common ancestor.

Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_descent).

That was what came to my mind when I saw the episode title, I guess we'll see.

spinny magee
August 25th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Scott: O hi chloe wanna make out, i know last time my erecti-
Chloe: I'm your sister.........
Scott: :eek:

Rhoswen
September 21st, 2010, 05:57 PM
Casting notices have gone out for episode 217:

Director: Peter DeLuise
Writer: Robert Cooper
Shoot Dates: 9/29 - 10/13

[YAOZU] (55-65) Male or Female. This philosophical world wearied village elder has been cut off from his/her home planet for decades and holds out hope for the return of his/her people to their former home. (Please submit Asian, Eurasian, Indian, and Native American actors). Recurring.

[JASON] (20-25) This somewhat naïve and idealistic villager has known no other planet than the one he lives on, and looks to the future with more optimism than their elders. (Please submit all ethnicities, with emphasis on exotic, culturally mixed actors). Recurring.

[ELLIE] (20-25) This somewhat naïve and idealistic villager has known no other planet than the one she lives on, and looks to the future with more optimism than her elders. (Please submit all ethnicities, with emphasis on exotic, culturally mixed actors). Recurring.

-------

Going by these character descriptions and the casting sides (I read a couple of scenes), it seems that some sort of common ancestor of people on Destiny and a planet they visit via the gate may be part of the storyline. There may also be either time travel or multiple universes or versions of the same people. The casting sides were a bit difficult to follow (It's possible that some character names were changed to confuse spoiler hunters), but Eli, Chloe, and Scott were in at least one of the scenes. Two other characters mentioned in the sides are Bruce Graham and Timothy Beals (But I don't know if they're new characters or "fake" names of current characters).

One of the scenes begins as Graham and Beals and some others (including Scott, Chloe, and Eli) come through the gate onto a planet and meet Jason and Ellie, who know Graham and Beals' names and speak English. Jason and Ellie are shocked because Graham and Beals supposedly died thousands of years ago. Another character named Carl says, "Yes and no" and tells them there's a perfectly good explanation and Carl tells Graham that the other him could have guessed that they'd gone back in time. Ellie says that the "testament" says that Destiny might one day return. Jason suggests that they come and meet the others in the settlement, so they all start walking. Ellie tells the group who came through the gate that she thought they'd come from Novus, and Chloe seems surprised that they aren't on Novus. Ellie explains that her people were originally part of an expedition sent through the gates thousands of years ago to explore other worlds, but one day they could no longer connect to Novus and they've been stranded ever since. That was before Ellie and Jason were even born.

Another somewhat confusing part of the sides was a tour of a ship. I didn't recognize most of the character names, so I couldn't tell for sure if it was the people of Destiny giving Ellie's people a tour of Destiny. But I'm guessing that's probably what it was. Ellie's people ask if they can help them return to Novus in the ship.

KEK
September 21st, 2010, 11:21 PM
Meh, don't like the sound of that. This is the sort of thing I'd hoped they'd be steering clear of.

Platschu
September 21st, 2010, 11:55 PM
So the expedition will get new members. Again. :)

reddevil18
September 22nd, 2010, 01:00 AM
Yes, new red shirts! YAY! :rolleyes:

Osiristi
September 26th, 2010, 03:34 AM
Meh, don't like the sound of that. This is the sort of thing I'd hoped they'd be steering clear of.

Apparently they are supposed to be descendants of someone aboard Destiny who travelled back in time.

Rhoswen
September 26th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Apparently they are supposed to be descendants of someone aboard Destiny who travelled back in time.

I read the casting sides again, trying to find clues as to who the ancestor from Destiny might be. As with some previous casting sides that changed characters' names (probably to prevent certain plot spoilers from leaking), it appears that several character names have been changed in the sides for this episode:

From the sides, "Carl" seems to be the time traveller. The people who are discovered in this episode speak English. Jason and Ellie are definitely new characters (since casting notices were sent out for them), but I think that "Carl" is a false name for someone from the Destiny, and the sides may indicate who he is. In one scene, as Ellie is leading the group from Destiny to their settlement, she says, "No one's going to believe this. They're totally going to freak out when they see you." Carl then says, "This is so cool." Chloe is one of the people talking with Ellie in that scene, and in another scene after they all reach the settlement, both Scott and Eli are among the crew from Destiny who are introduced to Ellie's people. Based on the expressions used by Ellie and "Carl," and the fact that Eli is in the later scene in which they all meet Ellie's people, I'm going to guess that "Carl" is Eli.

One of the people (a new recurring character) they are introduced to at the settlement is named Yaosu, and a character who appears to be code-named "McLean" says, "That was my father's name," and after tea is served, Yaosu offers them a greeting, which is written in the sides as: Maahn sih yuh yi. "McLean" translates it as, "May all things go according to the wishes of those that hear it." Based on that, I'm going to guess that "McLean" is Wray and that there also may have been more than one time traveller (Maybe these settlers are descended from ALL of the Destiny crew?).

In a later scene, "McLean" gives the people from the settlement a tour of what could only be Destiny (although it's never specified as Destiny in the sides). It is "McLean" to whom Ellie and Yaosu are speaking when they ask if they can be taken to their planet Novus. McLean seems stunned by the request to transport all of them even though they are unsure that Novus still exists (since they haven't been able to dial it) and the scene ends before McLean gives an answer.

That's all the (possibly) new info I've been able to gather from the casting sides, based on their content and my own speculation.

Rylor
September 26th, 2010, 12:25 PM

Sounds like the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode "Children of Time" to me. I hope it's not a carbon copy and has some new, interesting twist in it.

major davis
September 26th, 2010, 12:30 PM
GHHAAA... the minute I saw villager in the title I head-desked......

I mean, I can except Vancouver forests, but I really really hope there is no more midevil villages.

morbosfist
September 26th, 2010, 12:41 PM
GHHAAA... the minute I saw villager in the title I head-desked......

I mean, I can except Vancouver forests, but I really really hope there is no more midevil villages.To be fair, it would be hard to have a wonderful city under the apparent circumstances.

kirmit
September 26th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Considering the storyline, this should just be a one off Human alien encounter.

reddevil18
September 26th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Well, it it's true that Eli is one of the time-travelers, then we at least know he got some, what with him breeding and everything. I suppose the "last guy on Earth" scenario played out in his favor.

Nikec3
September 26th, 2010, 02:38 PM
This episode is written by Rob Cooper(best writer on stargate ever). So, can't be bad :D

major davis
September 26th, 2010, 02:42 PM
This episode is written by Rob Cooper(best writer on stargate ever). So, can't be bad :D

Ya.. that somewhat reassures me. :)

reddevil18
September 26th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Ya.. that somewhat reassures me. :)Then again, there's always a first time for a huge screw-up...

Nikec3
September 26th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Then again, there's always a first time for a huge screw-up...

I don't think he would screw-up his last Stargate episode :S

reddevil18
September 26th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I don't think he would screw-up his last Stargate episode :SIt'd be a nice "F YOU!, I QUIT!"...

major davis
September 26th, 2010, 03:29 PM
It'd be a nice "F YOU!, I QUIT!"...

LOL.... then again.. My issue is with the heart of the story.. which might not have been Robs idea... and I doubt RCC is that kinda guy.

latvian_stargatefan
September 27th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Sounds like the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode "Children of Time" to me. I hope it's not a carbon copy and has some new, interesting twist in it.

If there wasn't such a story in that or another show, I'm pretty sure some guy would say that it's similar to that 50s sci-fi book three people have read and one happened to post about it in Gateworld.
All the stories have been done to death. So it's about execution, how you present the story what matters. And I hope this won't disapporint us. After all it's directed and written by Cooper who gave us "Time"... probably the episode that saved SGU for me...

Rylor
September 27th, 2010, 07:17 AM
If there wasn't such a story in that or another show, I'm pretty sure some guy would say that it's similar to that 50s sci-fi book three people have read and one happened to post about it in Gateworld.
All the stories have been done to death. So it's about execution, how you present the story what matters. And I hope this won't disapporint us. After all it's directed and written by Cooper who gave us "Time"... probably the episode that saved SGU for me...

I agree, many scenarios have been used before and the real task is presentation. The South Park episode "Simpsons Already Dit It" comes to mind :D Like you, I just hope they manage to make the premise interesting, like they did in "Time" (One of my favourite episodes of Season 1, too :)).

Jumper_One
September 27th, 2010, 06:37 PM
[...] Paul is finishing up prep on episode 17, Common Descent. [...]
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2010/09/27/september-27-2010-back-in-familiar-territory-production-update-pics/

escyos
November 27th, 2010, 11:16 PM
From what ive heard, they gate to a jungle world, eli is stung by a wasp creature and doesnt tell anyone. they go back to the ship, and he turns into a huge monster thingy and starts ripping the ship apart.

they trick him into going through the stargate back to the planet so they can try to find a way to cure him, but the team he chases through the gate is trapped after Eli actually rips the gate apart and the team has to run from a swarm of the waspy things.

Makenshi
November 28th, 2010, 07:36 AM
this ep sounds like a filler...

major davis
November 28th, 2010, 07:47 AM
From what ive heard, they gate to a jungle world, eli is stung by a wasp creature and doesnt tell anyone. they go back to the ship, and he turns into a huge monster thingy and starts ripping the ship apart.

they trick him into going through the stargate back to the planet so they can try to find a way to cure him, but the team he chases through the gate is trapped after Eli actually rips the gate apart and the team has to run from a swarm of the waspy things.

Are you serious??? lol

Rhoswen
November 28th, 2010, 09:40 AM

None of that is in the casting notices for the episode (which I posted info about earlier in the thread), but according to the casting notices: Eli does play a major role in the episode's primary storyline ... except that storyline is something else entirely than what you heard (no wasp creature, no jungle planet, no ripping apart of a gate (or ship), no running from swarms). Besides, stinging alien lifeforms, human/alien transformations, and trying to find cures for alien transformations have already been done this season (a couple of those things were even done twice). Did you really hear this about episode 217, or are you just playing with us? ;)

escyos
November 28th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Are you serious??? lol

yep i seen the concept art for the creature, it looks like a black hunched over hulk.

major davis
November 28th, 2010, 05:03 PM
yep i seen the concept art for the creature, it looks like a black hunched over hulk.

Whered you get the summary then?

Rhoswen
November 28th, 2010, 05:37 PM

Well, the 3 roles in the casting notices for episode 217 were cast and the episode was filmed last month, so I'm curious how long ago you saw the concept art, and whether you're positive that it was for this particular episode. It just doesn't seem likely that the 3 roles from the scenes in the casting notices would have been cast if the plot of the episode was going to be completely different than in the scenes sent out for those characters. Maybe what you heard and saw was for a different episode.

escyos
November 28th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Well, the 3 roles in the casting notices for episode 217 were cast and the episode was filmed last month, so I'm curious how long ago you saw the concept art, and whether you're positive that it was for this particular episode. It just doesn't seem likely that the 3 roles from the scenes in the casting notices would have been cast if the plot of the episode was going to be completely different than in the scenes sent out for those characters. Maybe what you heard and saw was for a different episode.

there was a thingy in the corner of all those concept art pages that said "Common Descent" and it was named "Eli - Monster version"

Rhoswen
November 28th, 2010, 08:24 PM
there was a thingy in the corner of all those concept art pages that said "Common Descent" and it was named "Eli - Monster version"

All I can say is that if both your episode summary and mine are true for episode 217, then it may be the weirdest, least-cohesive Stargate episode ever.

It's already known that the names of Destiny crew members have been replaced with fake names in some of the casting notices for season 2, but the scenes from the casting notices themselves have (at least so far) been included in the actual episodes as they were written in the casting notices (with only a couple of slight differences that I can think of). I wouldn't put it past the folks working on the show to begin circulating completely false episode summaries to keep spoiler hunters from finding out what was actually going to occur in certain episodes, especially the ones so close to the season finale. As for the fake names used for Destiny crew in this episode's casting notices, I don't know why fake names would have been used if the casting notices weren't real (If they were false casting notices, then I would think that the real character names would have been used, to assist in spreading false information).

I guess we'll find out for sure as we get closer to the episode air date.

major davis
November 28th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I have to say i'm fully enthralled by this baffling mystery.... it shall be jolly interesting to see what's in this installment of Universe. ;)

knowles2
December 4th, 2010, 04:10 AM
I fine it odd that they would do two time travel episodes in the same season through.
Is not twin destiny a time travel episode where a future Rush arrives from the future. What if they are just related to a past ancient expedition that bypassed the destiny an went straight to a planet an they been waiting for destiny to catch up ever since. But have forgotten there past.

Rhoswen
December 5th, 2010, 06:57 AM
I found an October interview with Alaina Huffman at http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/show-patrol/2010/10/alaina-huffman-the-drama-queen-of-stargate-universe.html in which she gives a minor spoilery detail about episode 217 (which she calls, "Common Defense," but either she didn't remember the title correctly or the article writer heard what she said incorrectly, and "descent" does sound a bit like "defense.") The quote below is about 1/3 of the way into the article, under the photo of TJ and Carmen:

Did I see you tweet something about one of your kids might be on "SGU?"
Yeah, yeah, this episode we're shooting now, "Common Defense," Peter DeLuise is directing and there is a day, actually it'll shoot in the next episode, and I believe both of my kids are just going to have a small background part, but it's basically. It's all mixed [race] kids. So my kids fit in perfectly to that.

Hmm, are they back on Earth?
[Laughs.] I can't tell. Ha, ha. You have to wait; it's going to take forever.

That's a next spring episode, right?
I know. It's like No. 17, so yeah, it's like March or April or something like that.

Her spoilery comment about the episode including kids of mixed race in background roles matches up with the information I posted earlier from the casting notices about the Destiny crew meeting up with humans who are culturally and racially mixed, and who may somehow be their descendants.

Rhoswen
December 5th, 2010, 07:51 AM

Just curious - Did what you saw look anything like this? (I know it's not an all-black creature, but I'm interested anyway to find out if it's anything like the concept art that you were shown):

http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/img_5172.jpg

If it is, you may have seen rejected concept art for episode 216, "The Hunt" according to this Stargate Wiki page (scroll to the bottom) http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/SGU_2.16_%22The_Hunt%22_Episode_Guide. If it's not at all like what you saw, then never mind :)

g.o.d
December 9th, 2010, 08:06 AM
* A team from Destiny uses the Stargate to a planet and are greeted by ELLIE and JASON, two young people who surprisingly speak English! ELLIE and JASON recognize two of the team members, saying that they have been dead thousands of years. ELLIE and JASON refer to a "testament" that says that one day that Destiny might return.
* One of Destiny's crewmembers refers to "the other me" in trying to figure out this situation. Someone must have traveled back in time.
* ELLIE and JASON are descendants of those who were stranded on this planet after they left their homeworld NOVAS exploring through the Stargate. The Stargate no longer connects to NOVAS. NOVAS was founded by the Destiny crew 2000 years ago.
* ELLIE and JASON and YAOZU are taken on a tour of Destiny that leads them into the 'gate room. They turn to their escorts and ask if it would be possible for them to go to NOVAS so that they and their people can return home. ELLIE and JASON don't know NOVAS because their people were stranded before they were born, but YAOZU does remember.
* After being cut off from NOVAS, the stranded people are barely surviving, since they were depending on supplies and other support through the Stargate.
* YAOZU is the same name as one of the Destiny crew's father.
* One of the Destiny's crew with the title "Dr." has been demonized in the traditions of the NOVAS colony. Stories among the "less enlightened" state that he "rips souls" from people's bodies and takes them to hell to suffer forever.
* Also included in the NOVAS colonists are Betty, Landon, and Abigale.

interesting, Rush being the Ori after all :D

Jumper_One
February 9th, 2011, 03:06 AM
Today, we went in and watched the Day 1 mix of Blockade and the Day 2 mix of Common Descent, taking a break in between to eat lunch and approve visual effects for The Hunt (revised) and Gauntlet (temps). [...]
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2011/02/08/february-8-2011-when-one-door-closes-another-opens-this-time-before-you-leave-remember-to-bring-the-keys-with-you/

Jumper_One
February 19th, 2011, 03:52 AM
[...] One more trip (some time next week when I’ll head in to watch Day 2 mixes of The Hunt and Common Descent) and I should be done.
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2011/02/18/february-19-2011-behind-the-scene-vids-post-production-office-update-and-carl-hits-the-road/

antipodal
March 9th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Source: Syfy schedulebot (http://www.syfy.com/schedule/?search=stargate+universe)

Syfy's April 2011 Schedule

NOTE: On April 18, SGU moves to 9pm!

Apr 4 10:00 PM Seizure
Apr 5 12:00 AM Seizure

Apr 11 10:00 PM The Hunt
Apr 12 12:00 AM The Hunt

Apr 18 08:00 PM The Hunt
Apr 18 09:00 PM Common Descent
Apr 18 11:00 PM Common Descent

Apr 22 11:00 PM Common Descent

Apr 25 08:00 PM Common Descent
Apr 25 09:00 PM Epilogue
Apr 25 11:00 PM Epilogue

Apr 29 11:00 PM Epilogue

kudra
March 12th, 2011, 02:21 PM
If the crew do meet their descendants then I wonder if what sent them back in time was attempting to dial Earth from inside a sun - obviously there would be a major solar flare /time travel risk with that. It would be cool if an earlier time travel episode (Twin Destinies) links to this one.

knowles2
March 15th, 2011, 08:07 AM
kudra that was my second thought from watching the show.

I do believe that the people who went through the gate ended up on the planet in common descent. Where they built some kind of civilisation.

SG-17
March 16th, 2011, 01:42 PM
* A team from Destiny uses the Stargate to a planet and are greeted by ELLIE and JASON, two young people who surprisingly speak English! ELLIE and JASON recognize two of the team members, saying that they have been dead thousands of years. ELLIE and JASON refer to a "testament" that says that one day that Destiny might return.
* One of Destiny's crewmembers refers to "the other me" in trying to figure out this situation. Someone must have traveled back in time.
* ELLIE and JASON are descendants of those who were stranded on this planet after they left their homeworld NOVAS exploring through the Stargate. The Stargate no longer connects to NOVAS. NOVAS was founded by the Destiny crew 2000 years ago.
* ELLIE and JASON and YAOZU are taken on a tour of Destiny that leads them into the 'gate room. They turn to their escorts and ask if it would be possible for them to go to NOVAS so that they and their people can return home. ELLIE and JASON don't know NOVAS because their people were stranded before they were born, but YAOZU does remember.
* After being cut off from NOVAS, the stranded people are barely surviving, since they were depending on supplies and other support through the Stargate.
* YAOZU is the same name as one of the Destiny crew's father.
* One of the Destiny's crew with the title "Dr." has been demonized in the traditions of the NOVAS colony. Stories among the "less enlightened" state that he "rips souls" from people's bodies and takes them to hell to suffer forever.
* Also included in the NOVAS colonists are Betty, Landon, and Abigale.

Where did these spoilers come from?

antipodal
March 16th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Where did these spoilers come from?

casting notices

Nikec3
March 16th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I think we can all see conection to Twin Destinies

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
March 16th, 2011, 09:59 PM

what do you mean Rush Being the ori?

g.o.d
March 17th, 2011, 11:36 AM
what do you mean Rush Being the ori?

One of the Destiny's crew with the title "Dr." has been demonized in the traditions of the NOVAS colony. Stories among the "less enlightened" state that he "rips souls" from people's bodies and takes them to hell to suffer forever.

kirmit
March 17th, 2011, 12:49 PM

I think you're right.

D Toccs
March 22nd, 2011, 04:46 PM
Seems pretty clear to me that the crew from Twin Destinies were sent back in time and lived out their days on a planet somewhere. Now our crew are going to meet "their" descendants.

FoX-1028
March 24th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Seems pretty clear to me that the crew from Twin Destinies were sent back in time and lived out their days on a planet somewhere. Now our crew are going to meet "their" descendants.

Wow nice theory!!!!!

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
March 24th, 2011, 03:43 PM
betcha anything there's going to be some cross breeding of some sort.

knowles2
March 24th, 2011, 04:50 PM
One of the Destiny's crew with the title "Dr." has been demonized in the traditions of the NOVAS colony. Stories among the "less enlightened" state that he "rips souls" from people's bodies and takes them to hell to suffer forever.

Well not to far from the truth then :) but clearly someone forgot about the part where he builds you a new soul after ripping the other one to shreds.

I wonder if these people are going to stay around for a while, according to spoilers there home world is suppose to be destroyed (Drones? Ursini ?) and if they not going to stay I wonder where we will take them.Personally I love the idea of a 3rd branch/group of humanity joining our little gang.

Also I wonder if the Ursini knew about these people. An whether Telford gain knowledge of them when he was in the Ursini chamber.

Also you got to wonder how these people knew that they travelled back in time. How did they know that, they could have very easily travelled into the future.

Unless they encounter a seed vessel planting a gate. Which would be cool to see. An could explain how they manage to recover most of there technology so quickly.An i am wonder if the people sent back in time laid out any plans to help the crew of destiny to repair the ship or to get them home. (may be they build a naquadria core in the galaxy somewhere for our crew)

wurlitzer153
March 24th, 2011, 09:07 PM
You might want to put that second paragraph in spoilers, as it seems to be for the following episode.

gaguhan.galore
March 24th, 2011, 10:59 PM

now with even greater certainty due to this (http://www.gateworld.net/news/2011/03/details-on-sgus-april-episodes-revealed/).

escyos
March 25th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I cant seem to find it but someone mentioned it being impossible that 65+ people could populate a planet. Not true, provided the entire breeding process is meticulously planned out to ensure genetic diversity and stability until the population reaches at least 500 with at least 20 distinct family groups.

However they may have also interbreed with other species.

kudra
March 25th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I cant seem to find it but someone mentioned it being impossible that 65+ people could populate a planet. Not true, provided the entire breeding process is meticulously planned out to ensure genetic diversity and stability until the population reaches at least 500 with at least 20 distinct family groups.

I guess we'll find out if Chloe was really cured by the smurfs - it'd be a bit of a giveaway if any of the groups descendants come out blue.

knowles2
March 25th, 2011, 01:12 PM

I hope they did not interbreed with a other species and I suspect they have not, at least there nothing I read that suggests that they have.

I never believe some of the figures people say we would need to survive, some people on some forums put the figure into 10s of thousands, to me BSG worrying about there genetically diversity when they had 50,000 people, and most them were probably unrelated to each other just seemed rediculous to me.

65 people sounds more than plausible, through even after 2,000 years there civilisation would still be pretty small I would have thought. May be someone should do the maths, how big could there population be after 2,000 years of breeding.

An as long as the females of the first few generations rely that they are breeding machines for the rest of there breeding lives.

But I would love the crew that went back in time to have thought about what would happen once the destiny encounter the Novas.

But it clear there culture or at least pretty big chunk of it believe that Rush was the one that cause the accident which going to make our crew even more suspicious of him.

D Toccs
March 25th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I remember reading once that the reason we can all be traced back to mitichondrial eve, is because at some point approximately 150,000 years ago, the entire human population was only at around 2000 or so, possibly due to some sort of natural disaster. Plus if I'm remembering Doctor Strangelove correctly, I think the ratio would need to be something like 2 or 3 women for every man.

My first thought would be that their isn't anywhere near enough people on Destiny to create a stable gene pool and from what we've seen, there seems to be more men then women.
At the very least, I can't see how the Destiny crew could create a gene pool that would last anymore then a few hundred years before inbreeding became a major factor.

knowles2
March 25th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I remember reading once that the reason we can all be traced back to mitichondrial eve, is because at some point approximately 150,000 years ago, the entire human population was only at around 2000 or so, possibly due to some sort of natural disaster. Plus if I'm remembering Doctor Strangelove correctly, I think the ratio would need to be something like 2 or 3 women for every man.

My first thought would be that their isn't anywhere near enough people on Destiny to create a stable gene pool and from what we've seen, there seems to be more men then women.
At the very least, I can't see how the Destiny crew could create a gene pool that would last anymore then a few hundred years before inbreeding became a major factor.

I hear the same facts.

But I also know that certain animals species have been bought back from extinction from pretty low numbers, White Rinoes for instant from under a hundred, Pandas zoo population is not that big either.
Through certain animals, Cats for instant, have a lot more inbreeding resilience than other species.

I think the major issue is not necessary how big your crop of DNA is but how diverse it is, for instant have a good mix on Native America, Africo Caribbean and European descendent an Asian would probably be a good idea.

Also it depends on what the quality of those genes are, for instant the amount diseases genes that are in the gene pool, it would not be good to have 10 people dominate cystic fibrosis genes in a population 100.

Also they again kept there time frame small, 2000 years, and there several geneticis aboard destiny, so obviously they would have the skills to seperate and pair up couples who would provide the best gene pool for the next generation, base on family history and what TJ can remember from the medical files.
Hopefully we will get some flash backs in this episode and the next of when the team first arrive through the gate and on to the planet (or perhaps we will get a real treat and it will be the seed vessel, the one the Ursini guys stumble across, after all I doubt they would be able to disable the ship shields and defensive systems by themselves)

Perhaps everything that happen in season two so far have all been plan by the crew of Destiny that went back in time to make sure that history plays out as it should do.

Nikec3
March 26th, 2011, 04:04 AM
But it clear there culture or at least pretty big chunk of it believe that Rush was the one that cause the accident which going to make our crew even more suspicious of him.

But Rush did not travel through the wormhole in Twin Destinies. So how could he travel back in time?

antipodal
March 26th, 2011, 04:17 AM
But Rush did not travel through the wormhole in Twin Destinies. So how could he travel back in time?

The crew that left Destiny traveled back in time. In this episode, the Destiny runs across their ancestors.

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
March 26th, 2011, 05:57 AM
The crew that left Destiny traveled back in time. In this episode, the Destiny runs across their ancestors.

Don't mean Descendants?

knowles2
March 26th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Yes he does.

Do we really need to use spoilers in the speculation thread.

D Toccs
March 26th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Yes he does.

Do we really need to use spoilers in the speculation thread.

Seems we do :)

antipodal
March 26th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Don't mean Descendants?

Oh...yes. D'oh! Thank you.

Web Of Hair
March 26th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Could you imagine Eli using the stones, Hey mom this is sort of your great x 60 grandson[/QUOTE]

Cylykon
March 27th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Can you say "Deep Space Nine, episode #120, Children of Time"? Yet another opportunity to do something creative, inventive, and new with time travel squandered. But that couldn't possibly have anything to do with declining ratings and eventual cancellation. We've all been properly chastised for clinging to tried, true, and recycled and for turning our noses up at something new and different.

D Toccs
March 28th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Yeah Enterprise did a similar concept in season 3 episode E Squared. I'm looking forward to seeing SGU's take on this kind of story.

Wouldn't it be interesting if the Destiny Crew's descendants were the civilization that built the Drones.

FoX-1028
March 28th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Yeah Enterprise did a similar concept in season 3 episode E Squared. I'm looking forward to seeing SGU's take on this kind of story.

Wouldn't it be interesting if the Destiny Crew's descendants were the civilization that built the Drones.

Nice theory there!

colin15watt
April 1st, 2011, 02:52 PM
I guess we'll find out if Chloe was really cured by the smurfs - it'd be a bit of a giveaway if any of the groups descendants come out blue.

I agree with the idea that it was the crew that went through the gate in Twin Destinies, which makes sense, solar flares and all. Think it'll be a good episode, nice touch relating back to a previous episode. And appears to be at least a two-parter, so maybe we'll gain some more characters from it?

Don't think Chloe went throught the gate? Think she stayed behind, which means no smurf children :(.
Think Eli was the only main character to really go through wasn't he? Can't remember now.

Don't think it'll be a 'village' either, after all, 2000 years is a long time, plus they had fairly smart people starting off the civilisation, so would they not be a fairly...maybe not advanced...but quite Earth-level (minus the SGC's technology) civilisation?

knowles2
April 1st, 2011, 03:10 PM

Deep space nine "Children of Time"

Nikec3
April 1st, 2011, 03:49 PM
BIG SPOILERS from IGN:

When Destiny's second attempt to recharge in a star is foiled by attacking drones, the crew realizes the drones must have found a way to track the stars the Destiny plans to draw power from. Eli suggests that they attempt to recharge in a blue super giant, a star so hot it won't be suspect. But it's a risky option. Rush and Eli joined by Park must stay aboard to manually override Destiny's safety protocols and maneuver it through the star.
The rest of the crew gates to a nearby planet for safety where they find an abandoned city whose former inhabitants appear to have been decimated by an alien attack. Knowing the use of the gate will draw the drones, they prepare to hold out until the Destiny is finished it’'s dangerous recharge.

greenguywithlasereye
April 1st, 2011, 05:58 PM
interesting use of recharging in a giant blue star... I hope to learn about who *made* the drones, or if the race that made them may still be *making* them? - in a way they remind me both of replicators, and - decepticons, j/k. its also cool how spoilers thus far tell little of what 'appear to have been decimated' means - im sure theres something there .

D Toccs
April 1st, 2011, 09:52 PM
I agree with the idea that it was the crew that went through the gate in Twin Destinies, which makes sense, solar flares and all. Think it'll be a good episode, nice touch relating back to a previous episode. And appears to be at least a two-parter, so maybe we'll gain some more characters from it?

Don't think Chloe went throught the gate? Think she stayed behind, which means no smurf children :(.
Think Eli was the only main character to really go through wasn't he? Can't remember now.

Every member of the crew excpet for Rush went through the gate in Twin Destinies.

zer0_1
April 2nd, 2011, 04:42 AM
BIG SPOILERS from IGN:

When Destiny's second attempt to recharge in a star is foiled by attacking drones, the crew realizes the drones must have found a way to track the stars the Destiny plans to draw power from. Eli suggests that they attempt to recharge in a blue super giant, a star so hot it won't be suspect. But it's a risky option. Rush and Eli joined by Park must stay aboard to manually override Destiny's safety protocols and maneuver it through the star.
The rest of the crew gates to a nearby planet for safety where they find an abandoned city whose former inhabitants appear to have been decimated by an alien attack. Knowing the use of the gate will draw the drones, they prepare to hold out until the Destiny is finished it’'s dangerous recharge.

A Blue Giant? oh man thats gonna be some sweet looking SFX for that
pardon my rudeness for but i hope that wasnt an aprils fools joke

antipodal
April 4th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Source: TV Guide (http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/stargate-universe-2011/episode-17-season-2/common-descent/297135) (synopsis)

Attacking drones return when the Destiny tries to recharge in a star. Eli proposes a risky alternative, which requires the rest of the crew to gate to a nearby planet for safety, where they find an abandoned city.

flappo
April 4th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Can't wait to see Destiny recharging again, always look superb!

GoodSmeagol
April 4th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Regarding 65 person gene pool.
2000 years later....

Generation - 3 per century?
60 generations

Lets make it easy.
Pop out first gen of kids
65 becomes 100.
Second gen 150
Third gen 225
4th 340
5th 500
6th 760
7th 1140

This is only 1 baby per generation couple
So after 60 generations assuming no accidental deaths interrupting the propagation...
1.6341542 xe12 - That is something like a quadrillion people.
Exponential math is dangerous stuff.

Absolutely capable of a stable gene pool.

You know me and you can look at our genes, and there is a 100% chance we are related within 35 generations?
Within ethnic groups, chances are within 10 generations we are related.
Incest in anything beyond 3rd cousins is not considered detrimental to the gene pool.
By the third generation they already got 200+ people.

With just a little care(match making), in avoiding second cousins, by the 5th or 6th generation, the gene pool would be sufficient for little care to be taken for match making. Enabling a 100% staple population.
I loved the DS9 episode!

DarkandBright
April 5th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I wonder

if they really can talk with these descendants in English, as I have read. Language evolves so fast, after several thousands of years of isolation there should be no way of easy communication anymore.

But I suspect the writers will ignore this, so do not expect too much logic about the numbers.

And, by the way,

crossbreeeding would be too much of unscientific fantasy. Living beings on this other side of the universe cannot be genetically compatible with humans.

morbosfist
April 5th, 2011, 11:18 PM
if they really can talk with these descendants in English, as I have read. Language evolves so fast, after several thousands of years of isolation there should be no way of easy communication anymore.Language tends to stagnate as civilization advances. Dropping off a group with a full command of English and the knowledge of civilization at its current level would be unlikely to produce significant variations in language. Language variations are often a matter of assimilation and adaptation. Without those two factors, little to no variations (aside from new words for local objects) would occur.

D Toccs
April 6th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Language tends to stagnate as civilization advances. Dropping off a group with a full command of English and the knowledge of civilization at its current level would be unlikely to produce significant variations in language. Language variations are often a matter of assimilation and adaptation. Without those two factors, little to no variations (aside from new words for local objects) would occur.

Not at all, language is constantly changing and evolving, it never stagnates. New generations will always be coming up with new slang or shorting old words, which over time become fully assimilated into the language.

But real world linguistic dynamics don't apply, this is scifi but more importantly it's Stargate. They will speak English.

morbosfist
April 6th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Slang is one thing. For the language to change so much as to be incomprehensible, especially without some other language to assimilate from (cultural assimilation is a big part of language evolution), they might at best use an odd but still comprehensible form of English.

knowles2
April 6th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Regarding 65 person gene pool.
2000 years later....

Generation - 3 per century?
60 generations

Lets make it easy.
Pop out first gen of kids
65 becomes 100.
Second gen 150
Third gen 225
4th 340
5th 500
6th 760
7th 1140

This is only 1 baby per generation couple
So after 60 generations assuming no accidental deaths interrupting the propagation...
1.6341542 xe12 - That is something like a quadrillion people.
Exponential math is dangerous stuff.

Absolutely capable of a stable gene pool.

You know me and you can look at our genes, and there is a 100% chance we are related within 35 generations?
Within ethnic groups, chances are within 10 generations we are related.
Incest in anything beyond 3rd cousins is not considered detrimental to the gene pool.
By the third generation they already got 200+ people.

With just a little care(match making), in avoiding second cousins, by the 5th or 6th generation, the gene pool would be sufficient for little care to be taken for match making. Enabling a 100% staple population.
I loved the DS9 episode!

Just one question would not it be 4 - 5 generations per centuary, I thought Human generation were 20-25 years?

KEK
April 6th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I think this was probably filmed behind the scenes of Common Descent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrVj89E7Oy4

woolsey
April 8th, 2011, 05:15 AM
this is actualy behind the scenes of the hunt, you can see it on syfy.com

Anubis91
April 9th, 2011, 12:26 PM
SPOILER ALERT

Here is a link to the Common Descent Promo !! It's from MGM but hasn't been officialy released yet !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szS_lT4pstc&feature=player_embedded

greenguywithlasereye
April 9th, 2011, 03:28 PM
coooool!

GoodSmeagol
April 9th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Just one question would not it be 4 - 5 generations per centuary, I thought Human generation were 20-25 years?

I was being generous on the low end....
Needless to say, by the 50th generation(within 2000 years) the population CAN be much higher then Earths...
They will not be able to sustain that without infrastructure tho...

FoX-1028
April 10th, 2011, 07:36 AM
SPOILER ALERT

Here is a link to the Common Descent Promo !! It's from MGM but hasn't been officialy released yet !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szS_lT4pstc&feature=player_embedded

Damn!!! how people get this
Green. please find a Gauntlet promo :D

KEK
April 10th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I'm guessing they look at the place MGM are uploading them to on their site, look at how they're naming them, and then try their look with one that hasn't been 'released' on the site yet.

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
April 11th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Saw the Promo and i was like Oh boy. can't wait for next week! the first of what gateworld is calling a two part episode.

KEK
April 11th, 2011, 10:48 PM
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4834/unledop.jpg

I approve of next weeks guest star.

MattSilver 3k
April 12th, 2011, 04:08 AM

So do I. Heartily in fact.

This is shaping up to my favourite episode and all I've seen is a short synopsis, a promo and the promo pics.

And her. Approved.

Solokiller
April 12th, 2011, 10:41 AM
The promo and sneak peek are up on syfy's website, all i can say is:

AWESOME, Destiny in combat again!

FoX-1028
April 12th, 2011, 12:26 PM
These last 4 episodes will be the best episodes :D:D:D

Rylor
April 12th, 2011, 02:21 PM

I agree wholeheartedly :)

The drones are back!
Space battle!

coZma
April 12th, 2011, 03:30 PM
So if the crew ended back on Destiny but in the past how come they established a colony on a planet that is in the course of the present day Destiny? I mean 2000 years ago Destiny was maybe 100 galaxies closer to the MilKy Way and the colony should be far behind them now, not right in their path

Rylor
April 12th, 2011, 03:41 PM
So if the crew ended back on Destiny but in the past how come they established a colony on a planet that is in the course of the present day Destiny? I mean 2000 years ago Destiny was maybe 100 galaxies closer to the MilKy Way and the colony should be far behind them now, not right in their path

My guess is, that the wormhole in "Twin Destinies" jumped to a nearby planetary gate (from Present-Destiny's perspective), but 2000 years in the past.

coZma
April 12th, 2011, 03:44 PM
My guess is, that the wormhole in "Twin Destinies" jumped to a nearby planetary gate (from Present-Destiny's perspective), but 2000 years in the past.

Yeah I thought about that but I asked because i remember reading somewhere that the descendants told them about how hard it was for their alternate selves to survive 2000 years ago with even less resources and the ship falling to pieces

Rylor
April 12th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Yeah I thought about that but I asked because i remember reading somewhere that the descendants told them about how hard it was for their alternate selves to survive 2000 years ago with even less resources and the ship falling to pieces

Just out of curiousity, where did you read that? If that were true, a time paradox would be inevitable. I can't think of any logical explanation of how exactly this might work (but then again, time travel is somewhat unintuitive by nature).

Cavil
April 12th, 2011, 04:48 PM
BIG SPOILERS from IGN:

I have a terrible feeling that these humans are responsible for the drones, maybe they created them as defense but the A.I turned on them and then attacked other races they came into contact with, such as the Ursini...

KEK
April 12th, 2011, 05:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7HDKsK9cjI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPFExxnayyU

FoX-1028
April 13th, 2011, 03:41 AM

If thats true I think thats why the crew must use the stasis pods...

The Destiny
April 13th, 2011, 09:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7HDKsK9cjI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPFExxnayyU

This is promising to be a very interesting episode :D :D :D

I can't believe they put so much of the action in that sneak peek btw! But I'm excited that the drones return. I think I've been looking forward to this episode the most of this season's second half.

Cavil
April 13th, 2011, 02:45 PM

What ship? In Twin Destinies they had to leave the ship with 'nothing but the shirts on their backs' as Telford put it when they thought they were heading for Earth. The Destiny ended up taking too much damage and they abandoned her as she was about to go critical, then the solar flare sent them back 2000 years and to a random planet, so they didnt have the option to go back to Destiny... Im assuming they still had a DHD device or something though to go along other gates in the network?

blazingfire
April 13th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Would 80 plus people be enough to sustain a colony for 2000 years, since genetic degradation should occur due to the reduced gene pool?

KEK
April 13th, 2011, 06:35 PM
It could be, but it would have to be very closely controlled, and in that regard it's a bit unrealistic.

blazingfire
April 13th, 2011, 06:54 PM
It could be, but it would have to be very closely controlled, and in that regard it's a bit unrealistic.

That's what I was thinking as well. Maybe they'll touch on that in the episode.

dvdrts
April 13th, 2011, 07:26 PM
What ship? In Twin Destinies they had to leave the ship with 'nothing but the shirts on their backs' as Telford put it when they thought they were heading for Earth. The Destiny ended up taking too much damage and they abandoned her as she was about to go critical, then the solar flare sent them back 2000 years and to a random planet, so they didnt have the option to go back to Destiny... Im assuming they still had a DHD device or something though to go along other gates in the network?

Eli took a kino with him before he ran trough the gate, he didn't had a remote because they thought they were going to earth.

The Swarm
April 14th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Just how many of those damn Drone Comand Ships are there in this galaxy?

Also i cant wait to see how Destiny dives into a Blue Super Giant....

Airlock
April 14th, 2011, 05:17 AM
this is truly the first episode where it feels like classic Stargate. I mean, a regular occurance in SG-1 and SGA, but how often in SGU does the crew step off-world and are greeted by intelligent (human) beings? AND that offer some mind-perplexing statement before it cuts to the opener/commercials? I miss that! Looks like we're about to learn more SG lore!

Nikec3
April 14th, 2011, 01:54 PM
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2011/04/13/april-13-2011-those-deleted-flashbacks-from-sgus-the-hunt/

J.M. is talking about sandstorm:
Sure, we’d done it in the past (SGA’s “The Last Man” or, more recently, next week’s episode “Common Descent”), but those instances had been fairly self-contained and, more importantly, brief.

GoodSmeagol
April 14th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Would 80 plus people be enough to sustain a colony for 2000 years, since genetic degradation should occur due to the reduced gene pool?

Way more then enough.
Thats 40 couples first generation.
60 couples second.
90 third......
135 fourth.....

Mating with a 3rd cousin is more then acceptable for genetic degradation.

woolsey
April 14th, 2011, 03:48 PM
since crew that left destiny in twin destinies didnt have a remote control i wonder how their desendants managed to get to this planet, the people in the promo pics seem prety inadvanced, they dont seem like they are capalble of interstellar or even interplanetary travel without the gate network.

D Toccs
April 14th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Way more then enough.
Thats 40 couples first generation.
60 couples second.
90 third......
135 fourth.....

Mating with a 3rd cousin is more then acceptable for genetic degradation.

You're assuming an even ratio of men to women, which there is not. The Destiny crew is made up mainly of men. For it to work, each woman would have to have multiple children to multiple partners. That would mean that people like TJ, James, Wray and Park would be nothing more then "baby making machines" for the rest of their lives.

Realistically it's not likely, even the situation I posited above would struggle to reach 2000 years without some form of genetic degradation.
But this is fiction and whats more it's Stargate. I doubt they will explain how the integrity of the gene pool was maintained. We will just be told that the Novus civilization is all descended from Destiny's crew and we'll just have to suspend disbelief and accept it. . . . I'm fine with that BTW.

KEK
April 14th, 2011, 06:56 PM
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2011/04/13/april-13-2011-those-deleted-flashbacks-from-sgus-the-hunt/

J.M. is talking about sandstorm:
Sure, we’d done it in the past (SGA’s “The Last Man” or, more recently, next week’s episode “Common Descent”), but those instances had been fairly self-contained and, more importantly, brief.

I could be wrong, but I suspect he might be confusing this with Epilogue. Unless it's right at the end...

knowles2
April 15th, 2011, 12:40 PM
We do not yet know whether they arrive straight onto Navos, it not beyond all possibilities that they arrive on a seed vessel, which they had to navigate to a home planet (Navos ) and build there civilisation.

KEK
April 17th, 2011, 01:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsMXjmi3bNs

Canadian_rodney
April 18th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Grr I hate having to wait one more day because I live in Canada lmao looks so good