Horus Guard's helmets question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horus Guard's helmets question

From the beginning, sorry if this was asked before.
    My question is: how a "morphing" armor works? Horus Guard's helmets in the SG movie were clearly of morphing type. So how could something like that work even in a sci-fi enviroment?
    In SG-1, the helmets were switched to "put on" types, probably for simplicity? Or why? This would be my 2nd question.
    Thanks.

It's a matter of cost. Having helmets that contract and reside under the skin costs more because any time a helmet comes off, or is put on, it has to be done digitally and costs money. It's just cheaper to make a few helmets that just sit on the actor and do nothing, with a small handful of helmets that open/close like those used by Teal'c and Apophis. It's also easier too because they don't have to do anything digitally.

sigpic

Comment

Retracts and resides under the skin? How would that be possible?

Comment

only ra's helmet was capable of going into the skin although i suspect that it just went into something behind his neck we didnt see.

the horus helmets retracted into the collar but the serpent guards one did not. i suspect that they were just two differenet technologies.

Comment

I always chalked that up as a matter of practicality. The Horus guards, although b.a. in their own right, were more or less wearing ceremonial garb, outfits that, while cool looking (and more than enough to terrify the people of Abydos into submission) wouldn't offer up any sort of substantial protection.

Compare that to the garb worn by Apophis' troops when we see the for the first time in Children of the Gods. When that helmet pops up you hear that now familiar 'CHUNK'. It's a pretty hefty bit of armor that they have on their heads.

Their limbs are covered with that chain mail like mesh armor, their midsections are covered with that plate armor, I believe that their thighs have similar padding.

They're dressed for war. The Horus guards were pretty impressive but their easy, breezy summer outfits would be ill suited I feel for the types of combat that Teal'c and other Jaffa faced constantly.

Of course, I'm pretty sure that the vacuum left after Ra's death led to that.

So yeah, it's something I thought of a lot whenever I would watch Children of the Gods, namely 'Why is their armor different? Why isn't it as cool as the Horus guards?'

I just figure that with Ra's troops it's more or less ceremonial gear while the stuff wore in the show was actual field combat gear.
          sigpic

Comment

They did show a Horus helmet retract on one occasion (that I can think of), when Teal'c steals one in Moebius I. Mostly they avoided it though, simply a matter of the cost of digital effects as SaberBlade said.

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
              They did show a Horus helmet retract on one occasion (that I can think of), when Teal'c steals one in Moebius I. Mostly they avoided it though, simply a matter of the cost of digital effects as SaberBlade said.
              I think, but am not completely certain, that we saw it with Heru'ur once in season 2 (when SG1 returned to the planet with Thor's Hammer). It was a convenient way to save money. They introduce Serpent Guards with helmets that open, as they can save a lot of money by removing the need for digital effects (also also save even more money by making props that don't open for background characters) but by doing the retracting Horus helmet in an episode of SG1 at least once they can keep the canon of what Ra's Personal Guard wore rather than it being another difference between movie and series. It was clever of them.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X