PDA

View Full Version : Is Caprica done?

YsoL8
August 10th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Hi

First I don't mean this to be a flame or troll or any other stupidity.

Has Caprica gone off Syfy's radar?

I (personally) wasn't overly impressed with Caprica's first episodes (too slow in my option). But a couple of episodes, particularly end of line showed promise, hopefully of a slightly faster paced back half. What are peoples thoughts on the huge gap between the season halfs? Sinister, indifferent, an attempt to make a new splash?

Most important, do you think there'll be a 2nd season to start developing the presumed series arc?

BG was brilliant at this and I think if they get a 2nd season they'll also get a 4th or 5th. How long are the actors contracted? How long can they wait to start new production before losing their cast / crew / etc?

Doctor Freeman
August 10th, 2010, 09:44 AM
There was a trailer for the second half of the season which looked pretty cool though Alessandra Torresani seems to be aggressively campaigning for a second season on Twitter already.

DigiFluid
August 10th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I'd suggest reading all of the most recent 5 or so pages in the News thread. We've talked about it rather extensively.

Mike.
August 10th, 2010, 10:31 AM
The second part of the first season airs in January 2011. So no it's not "done" or canceled, etc.

Regarding the large hiatus, yeah, it sucks, but it doesn't seem out of the ordinary considering that BSG had the same long gaps.

Doctor Freeman
August 10th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Those gaps were torturous. Thank frak I have the show on Blu-Ray now. :)

YsoL8
August 10th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Maybe its just cause I'm from the UK and we don't normally have mid season breaks at all.

Wayston
August 10th, 2010, 01:16 PM
my (uninformed) impression is that they're treating the show this way to string out the decision on the second season as long as they can... I mean given the length of the mid season break they basically turned it into two consecutive short seasons already.

the fifth man
August 10th, 2010, 05:12 PM
my (uninformed) impression is that they're treating the show this way to string out the decision on the second season as long as they can... I mean given the length of the mid season break they basically turned it into two consecutive short seasons already.

Pretty sad if you ask me.

DigiFluid
August 10th, 2010, 05:29 PM
As frustrating as it is for us, it might be better in the long run if they don't make a decision until after 1.5 has started or finished. With the show changing showrunner hands in the second half, it's entirely possible that the show could wildly change tone and/or pick up an increased viewer share. I almost think it would be better if Syfylis adopted a 'wait and see' tactic.

Doctor Freeman
August 10th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Maybe its just cause I'm from the UK and we don't normally have mid season breaks at all.

So am I. We're going to have to get used to it as more shows air right after they air in the US. The longer Sky and co wait the greater chance a show has of being pirated to hell which reduces the ad-watching audience.

hallmjo
August 11th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Well maybe airing during a time of year when not a lot of "new shows" are airing on most networks will help, but it doesn't look promising!

Gamma626
August 12th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I think, if it gets a season 2, it will only be 13 episodes.

Osiristi
August 12th, 2010, 12:01 PM
13 a year is better than the current 9 a year :P

Gamma626
August 12th, 2010, 12:22 PM
13 a year is better than the current 9 a year :P

Doesn't the pilot count as two? So, 10 a year right?

Briangate78
August 12th, 2010, 12:37 PM
The show has been unofficially cancelled or renewed. lol.

Osiristi
August 13th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Doesn't the pilot count as two? So, 10 a year right?I think the pilot is (just like with Warehouse 13) one episode of two hours, so 10 hours this year and 9 hours next year to get the complete 19 hours, 18 episodes.

So, we can agree 13 is better than the average of 9½ hours a year, right?

DigiFluid
August 13th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Doesn't the pilot count as two? So, 10 a year right?
Depends how you want to look at it. The show-runners undoubtedly count it as one, and this is reflected on the DVD releases. This would make for 9 before the break and 9 in season 1.5 for a total of 18. But on the other hand, re-runs of the series on Syfy and any other network that picks up airing it will most likely show the pilot as two episodes.

How would these be numbered then, would the pilot be 1.01 and 1.01.5? It just doesn't work for me to list double-length episodes as singles; just IMO though. When a show gets a 13-episode order, but airs only 12 with one of them as a double-length....well, that's just 13 episodes then. At least for me.