PDA

View Full Version : SGU's stargate material

Nataku27
August 9th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I'm not sure if the question has been asked or not, but what are the SGU's stargates made of exactly ?

I highly doubt it is naquadah since it would be present through all the universe, then what does the seeder ships use to create new gates then ?

webxro
August 9th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Naquadact , you can find it in all the galaxy , and it's pretty hard to build a gate without it

lordofseas
August 9th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Naquadact , you can find it in all the galaxy , and it's pretty hard to build a gate without it

Orlin.

droid327
August 9th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Pretty hard != impossible, especially for a descended Ancient...

I dont see any reason to believe its not naquadah, its supposed to be a common element, except on Earth where it was either anomalously missing, or the Goa'uld/Ancients mined it all out millenia ago....

lordofseas
August 9th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Pretty hard != impossible, especially for a descended Ancient...

I dont see any reason to believe its not naquadah, its supposed to be a common element, except on Earth where it was either anomalously missing, or the Goa'uld/Ancients mined it all out millenia ago....

If you understand the physics behind the Stargate, I'm pretty sure you could emulate what Orlin did.

Greenfire32
August 9th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Naquadah or another similar superconductive element.

The gate Orlin built was a one-time use gate as the material he made it from was burnt out. If the material isn't superconductive, the gate won't hold up.

lordofseas
August 9th, 2010, 03:47 PM

The gate Orlin built was a one-time use gate as the material he made it from was burnt out. If the material isn't superconductive, the gate won't hold up.

But it did create a viable wormhole.

Greenfire32
August 9th, 2010, 03:52 PM
But it did create a viable wormhole.

True, but the "Mini-Gate" was unusable after that. Hence the need for a super-conductive material. Anything less just can't hold up to the energy requirements of gate travel.

lordofseas
August 9th, 2010, 05:23 PM
True, but the "Mini-Gate" was unusable after that. Hence the need for a super-conductive material. Anything less just can't hold up to the energy requirements of gate travel.

The metals were readily available. My point was that you could build a gate that could connect to the Ancient's network without naquadah, albeit a one time link.

Greenfire32
August 9th, 2010, 05:32 PM
The metals were readily available. My point was that you could build a gate that could connect to the Ancient's network without naquadah, albeit a one time link.

Oh definitely! Don't get me wrong, I agree that a gate made out of non-superconductive materials is quite possible. But in terms of a Stargate that can be used more than one time (possibly over and over within minutes of each use), it would have to be made of a superconductive material.

I'm not trying to say you're wrong, just that its highly unlikely that a Destiny-model Stargate would be built without using superconductive materials such as naquadah or something similar.

a lost ghost
August 9th, 2010, 09:49 PM
I don't think they are made out of out of naquadah like sg1 gates
but they probably have some naquadah in them
they might not need super conductive materials because of there limited range.
it could be a reason behind the limited range

thekillman
August 9th, 2010, 10:52 PM
orlin's gate most likely wasn't just one-time but heavily distance-limited.

the Destiny gates are made of naquahdah, anything else burns out way too fast and most likely will oxidise away

webxro
August 10th, 2010, 02:15 AM
and the fact that the gates on SGU are distance limited has nothing to do whit the composition of the gate , it's just that little remote doesn't have the power to dial anywhere else

Greenfire32
August 10th, 2010, 08:20 AM
orlin's gate most likely wasn't just one-time but heavily distance-limited.Not trying to be rude or matter-of-factly or anything but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eG6CSxPmcA&feature=related

Go to about 4:25 in the video and Orlin himself will explain how his gate works.

thekillman
August 10th, 2010, 08:56 AM
oh it could dial a few adresses. wow.

judging by the humongous amount of sparks, the Destiny gates aren't made of regular materials.

also a Seeder ship can just mine sufficient naquahdah for dozens of gates, leaving plenty of time to find the next naquahdah planet

HaMm3r
August 10th, 2010, 10:29 AM

I believe Orlin says "it won't dial multiple addresses".

Greenfire32
August 10th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Carter: Woah...you've been busy.

Orlin: I didn't think they'd let me go back to Velona through their Stargate.

Carter: So you built one?

Orlin: Sort of...this one won't dial multiple addresses; it'll only create a wormhole once and probably burn out.

My point is, a Stargate that is reusable and efficient must be made out of super conductive materials be it Naquadah or another similar element. A Stargate made out of non-super conductive materials will burn out very quickly resulting in a one-time use. This is what leads me to believe that the Destiny gates are A) made out of Naquadah or B) Made out of a similar element that is also superconductive.

Puddle-Jumper
August 11th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Well given how many stargates exist across the galaxies we've seen berfore SGU its fairly logical to assume that naquadah is a fairly common substance

n4rc1ssus
August 11th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I don't buy that naquadah is very previlent. If it is then why do the goa'uld in our galaxy consider it such a commoditee. If it were they wouldn't have to waste so much time keeping their subjects in line just to mine the junk. I would bet that the seeder ships have a supply of naquadah sufficient enough to last and they find the other materials they need to manufacture simpler, short-ranged gates. After all, who says the entire gate has to be made of naquadah?

webxro
August 11th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I say that , and yes it has to be made of naq , and about mining , they can find a asteroid and chop it

thekillman
August 12th, 2010, 03:11 AM
naquahdah is relatively abundant: it's not ubiquitious but it's either present in large quantities or not present at all

webxro
August 12th, 2010, 03:38 AM
Km is right , naq is found in a great abundance on some planets , probably has something to to whit bigger supernovas that create the naq

Jper
August 12th, 2010, 05:44 AM
I'm not sure if the question has been asked or not, but what are the SGU's stargates made of exactly ?

I highly doubt it is naquadah since it would be present through all the universe, then what does the seeder ships use to create new gates then ?

Depends on what you are asking here. Was this ever mentioned by any of TPTB or in any stargate episode? --> No.

What do I think it is most likely made? --> Naquadah or something similar. :)

dacooker
August 12th, 2010, 08:22 PM
particle board

Mister Oragahn
August 21st, 2010, 07:21 PM

And if I'm not mistaken, Orlin was still of pure energy back then, no? So sending (saint) energy through a wormhole may be wholly different than sending packets of energized matter. Requirements could be considerably higher for the later.

webxro
August 21st, 2010, 11:18 PM
No it was a human then , because he can be hurt .

thekillman
August 22nd, 2010, 02:39 AM
yes he was descended when he used his fancy knowledge.

anyway back on topic:

interesting observations:

-naquahdah either appears in large veins
-or naquahdah appears spread thinly over the planet without any veins.

theoretically a Seeder ship only needs to find a single type A (big veins) planet to stockpile naquahdah. it'll have sufficient to build many gates, and it'll have enough time to find the next planet

webxro
August 22nd, 2010, 03:27 AM
Or the gates are made from the wonder metal Webxronium , that is very abundant outside MW and if a electric current is applied at a specific tension it changes into any metal , based on the frequency of the current , or Killermanium that's even better energy conductor then Naq and even more explosive

lordofseas
August 22nd, 2010, 04:25 AM
Or the gates are made from the wonder metal Webxronium , that is very abundant outside MW and if a electric current is applied at a specific tension it changes into any metal , based on the frequency of the current , or Killermanium that's even better energy conductor then Naq and even more explosive

Or Lordofcaesium (see what I did there? :P ), an element that if anyone looks on it, their optic nerves explode from viewing such awesomeness.

webxro
August 22nd, 2010, 04:52 AM
Well i think that i can develop a handgun based on that

lordofseas
August 22nd, 2010, 05:01 AM
Good luck handling it. :P

webxro
August 22nd, 2010, 05:09 AM
Or i can make a video whit it and broad cast it to the enemy ships

lordofseas
August 22nd, 2010, 05:16 AM
Neural interface? :/

webxro
August 22nd, 2010, 05:47 AM
Well there are a lot of ideas , but i can turn water into a weapon so i just need a small push

thekillman
August 22nd, 2010, 06:00 AM
Killmanium is the most powerful element in existence. it's not even regular matter, the popular-science name is Strange matter: upon touching matter, Killmanium makes it explode and turn to MORE killmanium. therefore, the inevitable result is a universe of Killmanium. it's radioactive and undergoes spontaneous annihilation, making it an excellent source of energy although it's hard to handle due to neutron-star-densities and insane exotic energy fields.

webxro
August 22nd, 2010, 06:24 AM
Do we really need a chemistry RP topic ?

lordofseas
August 23rd, 2010, 07:17 AM
Killmanium is the most powerful element in existence. it's not even regular matter, the popular-science name is Strange matter: upon touching matter, Killmanium makes it explode and turn to MORE killmanium. therefore, the inevitable result is a universe of Killmanium. it's radioactive and undergoes spontaneous annihilation, making it an excellent source of energy although it's hard to handle due to neutron-star-densities and insane exotic energy fields.

...fanwan*. }:|

Steelbox
August 23rd, 2010, 08:21 AM
The outer shell can be made of anything but the inner material that generates the wormhole has to be Naquadah.

webxro
August 23rd, 2010, 08:31 AM
Who says that the inner part generates the wormhole ?

Steelbox
August 23rd, 2010, 08:48 AM
I do :weiranime22:. Whatever generates the thing, it has to have the same properties of naquadah.

escyos
August 23rd, 2010, 09:05 AM
maybe the seeder ships can convert the material they find into naquadah (or something similar) and create the gates that way.

Steelbox
August 23rd, 2010, 12:48 PM
maybe the seeder ships can convert the material they find into naquadah (or something similar) and create the gates that way.

Is there a way to convert upwards an element into another? I mean is it even possible.

lordofseas
August 23rd, 2010, 06:29 PM
That's unknown. We don't even know what element(s) the Asgard core uses to convert matter.

Mike.
August 23rd, 2010, 07:34 PM
Is there a way to convert upwards an element into another? I mean is it even possible.

Theoretically yeah, but once you go past iron (to heavier atoms) it takes huge amounts of power.

thekillman
August 24th, 2010, 12:40 AM
...fanwan*. }:|

naaah that's not fankwank :P

Theoretically yeah, but once you go past iron (to heavier atoms) it takes huge amounts of power.

every second the universe converts trillions of trillions of trillions of tonnes of matter. our sun does millions of tons per second.

yes heavier elements is harder but why transmute when the stuff can be found easily?

webxro
August 24th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Not very easy but you are right

Steelbox
August 24th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Trough fusion, right?

webxro
August 24th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Yeap , stars get new elements by fusing hydrogen or helium

Mike.
August 24th, 2010, 11:25 PM
It would be much easier to just mine the material. Search for the right asteroid, moon, planet etc.

webxro
August 25th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Ok course is easy to mine from asteroids , and i think that's what it does

Ark Cammando
September 11th, 2010, 09:34 AM
In the show, they clearly state that stargates are made from naquada. That's why the make such big explosions.

Eternal Density
September 12th, 2010, 07:02 PM
They just get any solid metal core and wrap it with naquaduct tape.