PDA

View Full Version : Guardians of the Galaxy (Marvel) - News/Discussion/Speculation

Madwelshboy
August 6th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Marvel Considering 'Iron Fist' & 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' Movies, 'Black Panther' & 'Guardians Of The Galaxy,' Too!

Beyond "Runaways," little is known about Marvel's plans for how to proceed once "The Avengers" lands in theaters. Speaking with MTV News, Marvel studio chief Kevin Feige discussed some of the possible projects they're looking at as follow-ups to the "Avengers" franchise once all's said and done on Iron Man, Thor and Captain America's first big screen team-up.

"I think what Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction have done with 'Iron Fist' lately is exciting," Feige told MTV News. "I think 'Black Panther' and Wakanda has some amazing potential to be a feature film. 'Doctor Strange,' as you've mentioned. There are some obscure titles, too, like 'Guardians of the Galaxy.' I think they've been revamped recently in a fun way in the book."

Of course, Marvel already has its fair share of established characters that could carry their own film, such as War Machine, Black Widow and ‚ÄĒ most especially, considering his reported nine picture deal ‚ÄĒ Samuel L. Jackson's very own Nick Fury. Is it possible that fans will ever see a Fury-centric film? "I think the answer is yes," said Feige. "I think S.H.I.E.L.D. could be it's own franchise. I think, frankly, 'The Avengers' is going to be told from that point of view more so than any of the other films at that point, so we're going to get an inside look [at how S.H.I.E.L.D.] operates."

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/08/06/marvel-movies-iron-fist-shield-black-panther-guardians-of-the-galaxy/

nx01a
August 6th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Guardians?! It would certainly be an interesting movie about dysfunctional people in space... but I don't see it happening.

Replicator Todd
August 6th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Guardians?! It would certainly be an interesting movie about dysfunctional people in space... but I don't see it happening.

Neither do I, heck I completely forgot about the Guardians until I saw this thread brought up.

nx01a
August 6th, 2010, 06:31 PM
The Guardians are doing some very cool things in the comics right now, but the farthest Marvel should get into its cosmic library in film is the Silver Surfer. The Infinity Gauntlet seems to be playing a part in Thor/The Avengers, so we'll see how that goes.

Teddybrown
February 19th, 2014, 12:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTZ2Tp9yXyM

First trailer for this, looks good.

Also, did I spot
the Collector from the end of Thor 2?

Starship Trooper
February 19th, 2014, 01:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTZ2Tp9yXyM

First trailer for this, looks good.

Also, did I spot
the Collector from the end of Thor 2?

You did indeed...

... spot Mr. Del Toro as the Collector. :D

Hmmm... I'm a little sceptical about this trailer, but they normally release more than one so I'll reserve judgement at this point.

Starship Trooper
July 31st, 2014, 07:33 AM
Got back from the cinema a few hours ago. It's mostly pretty solid. Very entertaining. It looks absolutely amazing, too. I thought I was going to absolutely hate Rocket, but I loved him. A little silly in places, which seems to be the way Marvel plays their films not set on Earth. I can understand why they do it, but sometimes it does distract from the tension in the film a little too much.

Overall though, it was a blast! A really good introduction to the characters and their universe.

garhkal
August 1st, 2014, 10:19 PM
By chance, did the film go into any aspect of how a human was that far out in space?

Starship Trooper
August 1st, 2014, 11:08 PM
By chance, did the film go into any aspect of how a human was that far out in space?

It does. :D

Looney
August 3rd, 2014, 07:44 PM
I loved it! Highly entertaining ride! Lived up to my expectations and exceeded them in many regards. Despite its PG-13 rating the marketing seems to be aiming at kids, so I thought it would do a lot of pandering to children. Pleasantly surprised because this is NOT a kids movie. James Gunn sure has come a long way since his days with Troma and that is so great to see. And that is not a slam on Troma. I just mean that he has made it from no budget Troma movies to huge budget Disney movies.

I, like Starship Trooper, thought I was going to hate Rocket and I loved him. I really liked the whole cast. Dave Bautista greatly impressed me. Lee Pace was fantastic. I can't wait to see it again. My one big disappointment was the post-credit scene. Entertaining, but not what I wanted to see.

Looney
August 6th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Saw it again. Loved it just as much in 2D. Only detractor was the theater had several people who brought small children. This is NOT a children's movie! Ugggggghhhhhh I just wanted to scream that the whole time. It says "Rated PG-13" for a reason. I don't entirely blame them because I know Disney is trying to market it as a kids movies with kids toys and the like, but parents should know better.

Looney
August 8th, 2014, 05:28 PM
I am very surprised that I am the only person who has had anything to say about this movie this week. :cameronanime08b:

Ikorni
August 8th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Got back from the cinema a few hours ago. It's mostly pretty solid. Very entertaining. It looks absolutely amazing, too. I thought I was going to absolutely hate Rocket, but I loved him. A little silly in places, which seems to be the way Marvel plays their films not set on Earth. I can understand why they do it, but sometimes it does distract from the tension in the film a little too much.

Overall though, it was a blast! A really good introduction to the characters and their universe.

I had a rollicking good time there, ever since Quill started dancing to 'Come and Get your Love'. Found myself wanting to jump up and dance to the 70s groove. From then onwards, I loved it all. Great summer movie, if you ask me. :D

Ikorni
August 8th, 2014, 05:35 PM
I loved it! Highly entertaining ride! Lived up to my expectations and exceeded them in many regards. Despite its PG-13 rating the marketing seems to be aiming at kids, so I thought it would do a lot of pandering to children. Pleasantly surprised because this is NOT a kids movie. James Gunn sure has come a long way since his days with Troma and that is so great to see. And that is not a slam on Troma. I just mean that he has made it from no budget Troma movies to huge budget Disney movies.

I, like Starship Trooper, thought I was going to hate Rocket and I loved him. I really liked the whole cast. Dave Bautista greatly impressed me. Lee Pace was fantastic. I can't wait to see it again. My one big disappointment was the post-credit scene. Entertaining, but not what I wanted to see.

I completely agree about the post-credit scene. Usually it's a scene that contributes to the ongoing Marvel canon or at least, would provide a hint of what's going to be the focus of the next Marvel movie. But this...well, fun but disappointing. It made me want to say..."I stayed for this?!"

Saw it again. Loved it just as much in 2D. Only detractor was the theater had several people who brought small children. This is NOT a children's movie! Ugggggghhhhhh I just wanted to scream that the whole time. It says "Rated PG-13" for a reason. I don't entirely blame them because I know Disney is trying to market it as a kids movies with kids toys and the like, but parents should know better.

I was in the theatre with screaming babies (wth?!) too. :S

garhkal
August 9th, 2014, 02:20 AM
I was in the theatre with screaming babies (wth?!) too. :S

It's times like that i really wish i had some ADND like spells at my finger tips.. such as a silence spell to put on those kids!

Starship Trooper
August 10th, 2014, 05:36 AM
I had a rollicking good time there, ever since Quill started dancing to 'Come and Get your Love'. Found myself wanting to jump up and dance to the 70s groove. From then onwards, I loved it all. Great summer movie, if you ask me. :D

Exxxxccceeelllent. :D Yes, the more I thought about it afterwards, the more I thought that it's so hard to fault - it knows what it is and doesn't pretend to be anything else and it's fun, fun, fun from start to finish!

It's times like that i really wish i had some ADND like spells at my finger tips.. such as a silence spell to put on those kids!

Where's that Loki when you need him? Lesson: always bring Loki to the cinema.

Looney
August 11th, 2014, 05:37 PM
it's fun, fun, fun from start to finish!

:jack_new_anime07:

I think that sums it up. If I get a chance I think I'll see it a 3rd time.

Looney
August 13th, 2014, 05:35 AM
Saw it a third time. Really surprised how fast it seemed to go by. I still really enjoyed it despite the fact it just seemed to fly by this time. And I really hope people are getting embarrassed when they bring small children to see this and find out the talking raccoon is a foul-mouthed talking raccoon. The sad part is that there are people who are not embarrassed about it. They don't care that their children see a movie that has content small children shouldn't see because they want to see the movie. :mad:

The Lady Blue
August 16th, 2014, 11:51 PM
I loved it too. I like that fact that it holds up afterward when you think about it and discuss it. In some ways it even gets better. :)

I agree that it's not really for small children because there is some swearing in there that I haven't even seen in other Marvel films, but I guess that's because of the kind of character Rocket Raccoon is (and the others too). I can understand why children younger than 13 would want to go. The tree (Groot) and the raccoon are very appealing to children. From the look of some of the promotional stuff one might even think they are there for the kids. But the rating for the film is clearly PG-13, so there is that.

Looney
August 18th, 2014, 04:57 AM
I loved it too. I like that fact that it holds up afterward when you think about it and discuss it. In some ways it even gets better. :)

I agree that it's not really for small children because there is some swearing in there that I haven't even seen in other Marvel films, but I guess that's because of the kind of character Rocket Raccoon is (and the others too). I can understand why children younger than 13 would want to go. The tree (Groot) and the raccoon are very appealing to children. From the look of some of the promotional stuff one might even think they are there for the kids. But the rating for the film is clearly PG-13, so there is that.

Yes that is one of the big things. It is Disney and they are totally marketing it to children and small children despite the fact that it is not for children under 13.

Starship Trooper
August 18th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Yes that is one of the big things. It is Disney and they are totally marketing it to children and small children despite the fact that it is not for children under 13.

Well, it's PG-13, which means parental guidance advised for 13 and under. PG-13 does not mean not for children under 13. I would've been watching much higher rated films from a much younger age than 13 (the pros and cons of older siblings). For example, I saw both Terminator and Terminator 2 at the age of 10 (to name but a few R rated and NC-17 films I'd seen before I'd even hit my teens). It's completely dependent on the child. I would've been very upset if I was under 13 and told I couldn't see Guardians, especially since I'd been collecting comics from that age. There are an awful lot of 11-16 year olds who are into comics who would want to see it because they love Marvel (and comics in general). And if they're already collecting comics, then the content of Guardians is not going to disturb them or go over their heads.

Looney
August 19th, 2014, 05:17 AM
Yes, but I would say children under eleven should not see this film. And I only mean certain children who are eleven and their parents are taking them because they think they can handle it, not because the parents want to see the movie themselves. I have seen adults bring children as young as four to this movie and that is just not right. There is too much language and far too much violence. If I child is under ten then parents shouldn't be allowed to bring that child into a PG-13 movie. If they want to show them movies like that at home then that is their problem and mistake. When they bring them to a public forum and make me sit there while they are making that mistake then I have to take issue. I don't care if kids can see worse stuff on TV or whatever. Just because a kid can be exposed to this stuff easily doesn't make it right to intentionally expose them to this stuff. Yes I see Starship Troopers' point that there are plenty of kids between eleven and sixteen who should be allowed to see this movie, but when you go younger than that they should not. I have a friend who has an eleven year old daughter. If he wanted to take his daughter I would have absolutely no problem with that. Now that same friend has a fifteen year old son. If he had wanted to take his son when he was eleven, or even now when he is fifteen :rolleyes:, I might have had a problem with it because I know the kid. He definitely did not, and does not currently, need to see violent media. So it depends on the kid when you are talking about kids around the age of thirteen and a PG-13 movie. (Soap Box pushed aside . . . for now. :rolleyes:)

Starship Trooper
August 19th, 2014, 07:14 AM
I think any of the PG ratings are a bit 'wishy-washy' anyway, in that it's a convenient way of lumping in a broad range of content that falls in a bit of a grey area. I won't even begin listing films with a PG-13 rating that have much more violent and adult content than Guardians as there are many.

Yes, some parents get it hopelessly wrong (I agree with you in not seeing what a four-year-old could possibly get from Guardians), but at the same time it is the parents responsibility and not the certification authority. At least with a PG-13 you know kids under 13 aren't going into the cinemas without adult supervision. That's something at least. And I kind of like that it's something that parents are meant to take responsibility for - that you don't have 'nanny state' dictating absolutely every little thing when it comes to raising your children.

Meh. Anyway. I suppose I just think of my young self, so into comics and fantasy films, and think about how upset I would be if I had to wait for the DVD release before being able to watch the film simply because some certificate authority decided they knew what I could handle better than my own parents (who weren't irresponsible about that sort of thing, despite how it may sound). I think the majority of parents will get it right, while there will always be some who are selfish about it and go for themselves without thinking of their kids. I just don't think the minority should ruin it for the majority.

garhkal
August 20th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Back when i lived in the UK, theaters actually DID adhere to those ratings, with asking parents about their kids they took in. These days i have not even been asked to show proof of age to enter an R rated flick.. Neither have i seen a kid being asked.

The Lady Blue
August 22nd, 2014, 11:16 AM
Ultimately, I think it's up to parents to know what is best for their child. Ratings are only there to help parents make the appropriate choices, but a ratings system can't do the work for them. I'm just happy that it was a great film.

I am Groot. :)

Gen. Chris
August 25th, 2014, 09:19 AM
I saw the movie...Twice.

******* was it a good movie. Out of the Phase 2 movies (Ironman 3, Thor 2, Captain 2, and this) it is now tied with Captain America 2 as my favorite.

Ikorni
August 26th, 2014, 03:14 AM
I'm wondering though, how would Guardians fit into the MCU canon? Yes, I know Thanos is in it (along with the collector and all), I'm curious to know how Star Lord and Gamora might return...and in what capacity.

Starship Trooper
September 1st, 2014, 12:05 AM
I'm wondering though, how would Guardians fit into the MCU canon? Yes, I know Thanos is in it (along with the collector and all), I'm curious to know how Star Lord and Gamora might return...and in what capacity.

Well, they've confirmed a second Guardians film. In my opinion it's likely that the Guardians will team up with the Avengers in the final face-off with Thanos sometime after the second film. There is cross-over between the Avengers and Guardians in the comics. In fact, Iron Man joined the original Guardians team in the comic back in the 60s.

Ikorni
September 1st, 2014, 12:40 AM
Ah, didn't know there was going to be a guardians sequel. Seems like Marvel's happily on board with sequels and trilogies. Oh well, the audience is lapping it up greedily anyhow!

Starship Trooper
September 1st, 2014, 08:50 AM
Ah, didn't know there was going to be a guardians sequel. Seems like Marvel's happily on board with sequels and trilogies. Oh well, the audience is lapping it up greedily anyhow!

They were waiting to see how well this one did before confirming a sequel, but yeah, it's kind of their thing. They're translating their comic-book universe to cinema, and with the epic nature of the story-lines in comics I think sequels are a given.

Starsaber
September 4th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Well, they've confirmed a second Guardians film. In my opinion it's likely that the Guardians will team up with the Avengers in the final face-off with Thanos sometime after the second film. There is cross-over between the Avengers and Guardians in the comics. In fact, Iron Man joined the original Guardians team in the comic back in the 60s.
He did in the most recent run that started a year or so ago too.

mr_kennedy
November 17th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Probably the Best comic book movie yet

Ikorni
November 18th, 2014, 05:11 AM
They were waiting to see how well this one did before confirming a sequel, but yeah, it's kind of their thing. They're translating their comic-book universe to cinema, and with the epic nature of the story-lines in comics I think sequels are a given.

Marvel's Phase 3?

garhkal
December 11th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Finally caught this movie (from redbox). Not as good as i thought it would be from all the reviews i have heard. All the comedy and musical 'interludes' almost made me think the National lampoons had gotten a hold of it.
I gave it a 3 out of 5 stars..
One thing i would have liked to see.. Maybe a clip or two on earth, showing his family having to deal with not only his mother's death, but him disappearing!

DigiFluid
December 12th, 2014, 07:27 AM
James Gunn plays down expectations of Guardians/Avengers crossovers (http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Stop-Expecting-Guardians-Galaxy-Avengers-Cross-Over-68628.html)

Stop Expecting Guardians Of The Galaxy And Avengers To Cross Over

As more Marvel movies are released, the Marvel Cinematic Universe is moving closer to the climactic battle with Thanos in the Avengers: Infinity War films. Many fans have suspected that his could mean a team-up between Earthís Mightiest Heroes and the Guardians of the Galaxy. After all, Thanos did pop up in James Gunn's film this summer, and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is being released about a year before the first half of the Infinity War two-parter. That being said, the Guardians of the Galaxy director continues to make it clear that just because his ragtag group of heroes exist in the MCU doesnít mean that we should expect a crossover with what's going down on Earth.

Asking a question about the apparent darker tone in Joss Whedon's upcoming The Avengers: Age of Ultron, Screen Junkies recently asked Gunn whether Guardians of the Galaxy 2 would experience a similar transition. The director responded by basically drawing a line between the two franchises. Said Gunn:

We really are separate from the Avengers, and I don't think people should assume too many things about the Guardians play in all this, because we have our own galaxy to take care of. We have our own galaxy to save. Earth is the Avengersí province. Thinking that everything is going to come together in a perfect way is not necessarily the way it's going to happen.
This isnít the first time Gunn has taken this stance. Last month, Gunn stated that the Guardians aren't "subservient" to what happens in Infinity War films, and that Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is primarily meant to move the cosmic movies forward. I understand Gunnís reasoning. Earth is only a minuscule part of the entire universe, and the cosmic side of the MCU is not only gigantic but filled with its own problems and dramas. Despite threats like Loki and Ultron, the Avengers can handle keeping Earth safe, while Star-Lord and his team of misfits are traveling to multiple planets to help others while causing a little trouble on the side.

Hereís the main issue that arrives with James Gunn's most recent comments: Thanos is a universal threat. It's true that the Mad Titan may head to Earth after seizing all of the Infinity Stones and sticking them in the Infinity Gauntlet, but as the original 1991 Infinity Gauntlet comic story showed, if he obtains all that power, then the whole universe is screwed. One would think that the Guardians would travel to Earth to assist taking him down, even if itís only in the last half of Infinity War Part 2. Furthermore, Marvel Studios has shown that try to allow their directors work largely unimpeded (unless youíre Edgar Wright), but they still want that degree of connectivity intact. Itís possible the Marvel execs will eventually change Gunn's perspective and eventually have him work with the Infinity War director to include the Guardians in a way that makes sense for the narrative. On the other hand, they could also just respect Gunn's ideas and leave his protagonists to their own adventures.

P-90_177
December 12th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Finally caught this movie (from redbox). Not as good as i thought it would be from all the reviews i have heard. All the comedy and musical 'interludes' almost made me think the National lampoons had gotten a hold of it.
I gave it a 3 out of 5 stars..
One thing i would have liked to see.. Maybe a clip or two on earth, showing his family having to deal with not only his mother's death, but him disappearing!

The musical interludes were one of the best parts! Damn good soundtrack.

Ikorni
December 12th, 2014, 04:56 PM
The musical interludes were one of the best parts! Damn good soundtrack.

Yeah, I thought so too. Great retro vibe that I got from all of it. Listening to the songs in sound surround made the experience near surreal. :D

RunnerRonon
December 17th, 2014, 07:45 AM
I read some of the trivia on IMDB, and I was shocked when I saw Jason Momoa, David Tennant, Jensen Ackles and Jim Carrey were considered for this movie! I don't know if it would've been better or worse with these actors replacing some of the current cast, but it would've been interesting to say the least.

epg20
June 7th, 2015, 07:21 PM
well I finally saw guardians of the galaxy, and it was G R E A T!!!!!, I just loved it, but while I was watching it , there was one person that I just could not put my finger on, he looked so familiar, but who is he, then it hit me, OH MY GOD , THAT'S MERL, yep it was our ole buddy merl, yes, I was a little slow on the up take there, but I was more interested in the movie than the individual actors, but once I saw him, all I could see was merl in blue makeup and even worse teeth than he had before, and some thing on top of his head.

P-90_177
June 8th, 2015, 12:58 AM
well I finally saw guardians of the galaxy, and it was G R E A T!!!!!, I just loved it, but while I was watching it , there was one person that I just could not put my finger on, he looked so familiar, but who is he, then it hit me, OH MY GOD , THAT'S MERL, yep it was our ole buddy merl, yes, I was a little slow on the up take there, but I was more interested in the movie than the individual actors, but once I saw him, all I could see was merl in blue makeup and even worse teeth than he had before, and some thing on top of his head.

Nathan Fillion is in there too if you can spot him. :P

min min light
June 8th, 2015, 04:51 PM

HAHA I had the exact same reaction! :)

epg20
June 8th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Nathan Fillion is in there too if you can spot him. :P

there was NO WAY I could recognize him,, I doubt that ANY ONE could recognize him, I remember the scene they talked about, the scene where groot shoved branches up the guys nose and in to the guys head, WHO THE YOTZ COULD RECOGNIZE NATHAN FILLION IN THAT, WOW, talk about your cameos, there is one to forget, yet not forget, wow, that's just a real head scratcher and it's just a....well...I don't know what, I guess all I can say about that is I AM GROOT!.:eek::jack_new_anime05:

P-90_177
June 9th, 2015, 01:09 AM
there was NO WAY I could recognize him,, I doubt that ANY ONE could recognize him, I remember the scene they talked about, the scene where groot shoved branches up the guys nose and in to the guys head, WHO THE YOTZ COULD RECOGNIZE NATHAN FILLION IN THAT, WOW, talk about your cameos, there is one to forget, yet not forget, wow, that's just a real head scratcher and it's just a....well...I don't know what, I guess all I can say about that is I AM GROOT!.:eek::jack_new_anime05:

Actually I recognised straight off from the voice. I couldn't be sure until the end of the film when there were no other possible candidates, but yeah.

epg20
June 9th, 2015, 06:45 PM
Actually I recognised straight off from the voice. I couldn't be sure until the end of the film when there were no other possible candidates, but yeah.

I've only seen it the one time, so I guess I should pay closer attention to it the second time through, but still it gets a big W O W !!!!! FROM ME.

Looney
June 9th, 2015, 07:54 PM
Yeah other than the voice he is a CG character, but you can kind of see the some resemblance. :lol:

Same scene where Lloyd Kaufman gets a cameo. (I am sure he now describes himself as 'Star of Guardian's of The Galaxy'.) :rolleyes: :jack_new_anime06:

BTW, James Gunn posted on Facebook last week that he finished the 1st Draft of the sequel after writing for 48 days straight. So that is the 1st most important draft down. :jack_new_anime07:

epg20
June 19th, 2015, 06:59 PM
I watched it again today, and paid closer attention to it and, still couldn't see an thing of fillian there, oh I believe that it was him, I have no doubts about that, I just couldn't see it.

GET DOWN WITH YOUR BAD LITTLE SELF GROOT.4078240783

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YiIxopZKpY

epg20
June 20th, 2015, 06:52 PM
one more thing, after I watched guardians, a little while later I saw the chips and ice cream episode of adventure time, this explains how groot talks, THANKS BMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsmfU--tuuw

garhkal
October 31st, 2015, 11:47 AM
So, what's everyones thoughts on WHOM is daddy dearest for our starlord?

Someone elsewhere thought it might actually BE the collector.

P-90_177
October 31st, 2015, 12:02 PM

I can positively say that it isn't for a start. :P

TheRandomOne
October 31st, 2015, 06:53 PM
Howard The Duck is his daddy

epg20
October 31st, 2015, 07:30 PM

I say it is either thor,odin, or loki or maybe even SIF, hey who knows what the asguardian physiology is, she could be his father. 4115641157

garhkal
November 1st, 2015, 08:27 PM
I can positively say that it isn't for a start. :P

How so?

P-90_177
November 2nd, 2015, 01:44 AM
How so?

Because all jokes aside, his father is already known in the comics. I know that they don't always stick to the source material in the films but I doubt they'll stray too far in this case.

Plus Yondu said that he had been hired by his dad to grab him from Earth which implies that his Father would know who he is.

garhkal
November 2nd, 2015, 11:11 PM
So.. That still shouldn't rule out the collector.

aretood2
November 6th, 2015, 01:07 PM
I don't see how it could be the collector. That would be a dead end.

DigiFluid
July 20th, 2018, 12:07 PM
Disney fires James Gunn from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (https://variety.com/2018/film/news/james-gunn-fired-from-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3-1202879817/)

aretood2
July 20th, 2018, 12:37 PM
Disney fires James Gunn from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (https://variety.com/2018/film/news/james-gunn-fired-from-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3-1202879817/)

I just looked up his tweets other than the quotes in the article...they were...repulsive to say the least, not that the ones in the article aren't bad. I just struggle to understand any of this at this point. Then the "It's a joke" excuse...do people forget that jokes are supposed to...you know...be funny?

DigiFluid
July 21st, 2018, 10:18 AM
Honestly, I think this is more than a little absurd, on a number of different levels.

This is not the active spreading of hateful, conspiracy theory bile like a certain other 'entertainer' who recently lost her job. This is misguided humour from a guy who was working for Troma at the time (look up Troma Entertainment's reputation if you don't know who that is). Ten years ago.
These tweets have been up for nearly ten years, and has already made apologies for them in the past. Gunn began working for Disney on Guardians 1 six years ago. This is an issue now...why?
This is an issue now because Gunn made a negative comment about Trump, and noted public a-hole Mike Cernovich mobilized his army of "alt-right" (ie: white supremacist, neo-Nazi, misogynist, etc.) trolls to take revenge. The same Cernovich who is responsible for such 'gems' as this doozy here (https://twitter.com/shawnxmadden/status/1020401245578702848), and popularizing the "Pizzagate" lie

Skipping ahead to now, fallout has already started to hit: GotG actor Dave Bautista (Drax) and Marvel Cinematic Universe alum Patton Oswalt have already spoken up (https://www.polygon.com/2018/7/21/17597914/james-gunn-dave-bautista-patton-oswalt-mike-cernovich-ted-cruz-michael-ian-black) in defense of Gunn. And then there's the Sean Gunn factor--James's brother, who plays Kraglin in the movies, and is the on-set stand-in for Rocket and Groot during filming.

I just can't wrap my head around why Disney would do something this dumb.

aretood2
July 21st, 2018, 10:39 AM
Honestly, I think this is more than a little absurd, on a number of different levels.

This is not the active spreading of hateful, conspiracy theory bile like a certain other 'entertainer' who recently lost her job. This is misguided humour from a guy who was working for Troma at the time (look up Troma Entertainment's reputation if you don't know who that is). Ten years ago.
These tweets have been up for nearly ten years, and has already made apologies for them in the past. Gunn began working for Disney on Guardians 1 six years ago. This is an issue now...why?
This is an issue now because Gunn made a negative comment about Trump, and noted public a-hole Mike Cernovich mobilized his army of "alt-right" (ie: white supremacist, neo-Nazi, misogynist, etc.) trolls to take revenge. The same Cernovich who is responsible for such 'gems' as this doozy here (https://twitter.com/shawnxmadden/status/1020401245578702848), and popularizing the "Pizzagate" lie

Skipping ahead to now, fallout has already started to hit: GotG actor Dave Bautista (Drax) and Marvel Cinematic Universe alum Patton Oswalt have already spoken up (https://www.polygon.com/2018/7/21/17597914/james-gunn-dave-bautista-patton-oswalt-mike-cernovich-ted-cruz-michael-ian-black) in defense of Gunn. And then there's the Sean Gunn factor--James's brother, who plays Kraglin in the movies, and is the on-set stand-in for Rocket and Groot during filming.

I just can't wrap my head around why Disney would do something this dumb.

It's unfortunate that this is a revenge tactic by those people. But the fact that is was a bunch of racists to who brought this to light because they are snowflakes doesn't change anything and why should it? It's a non-issue. Society has shown zero tolerance for this sort of thing, why shouldn't it show it here? Not that I agree with that zero tolerance. It's one thing to react in the present to things done relatively in the present. But I'll give you that this was a long time ago.

Personally, I feel people are way to bloodthirsty for offensive comments done in the past, or minor actions, and I am hesitant to agree to backlash for something done years ago that were apologized for.

But...seriously? That is what is being considered for jokes? I did a quick search of Troma and I am not impressed. There's something people say regarding rape jokes...

I'm sure everyone who was raped as a child or otherwise violated had a ball laughing their guts out...

DigiFluid
July 21st, 2018, 11:08 AM
There are countless examples of famous people having had a job that nobody blinked at at the time, but are awful or offensive in hindsight.

Jimmy Kimmel is a popular, affable, well-regarded comic talk show host. He launched his career with The Man Show, which had as regular feature the "Juggy Dance Squad," and ended every show with the "Girls on Trampolines" bit.

Eddie Murphy is considered a legend of comedy, and has a modern reputation as a family comedy man. But if you watch his most famous and well-regarded standup special, Delirious, you'll find the first 10-15 minutes are punctuated by horrifically hateful homophobic comments. Has his career been sacrificed on the altar of public outrage?

Firing someone you've employed for six years because of the work they were doing ten years ago--and never tried to hide from you--is stupid, plain and simple.

aretood2
July 21st, 2018, 11:34 AM
There are countless examples of famous people having had a job that nobody blinked at at the time, but are awful or offensive in hindsight.

Jimmy Kimmel is a popular, affable, well-regarded comic talk show host. He launched his career with The Man Show, which had as regular feature the "Juggy Dance Squad," and ended every show with the "Girls on Trampolines" bit.

Eddie Murphy is considered a legend of comedy, and has a modern reputation as a family comedy man. But if you watch his most famous and well-regarded standup special, Delirious, you'll find the first 10-15 minutes are punctuated by horrifically hateful homophobic comments. Has his career been sacrificed on the altar of public outrage?

Firing someone you've employed for six years because of the work they were doing ten years ago--and never tried to hide from you--is stupid, plain and simple.

Doing things that were acceptable by society at the time doesn't compare with rape jokes. Eddie Murphy's special was in the early 1980's. Kimmel's trampoline was equally routed under the umbrella of the culture today is about as far as you can get in the "offense-o-meter" from rape. Unless of course joking about violating children was seen the same way as making homophobic remarks in the 80's or objectifying grown women to net some views.

If he had done used racial slurs in jokes six years ago, or made an off handed remark about gay people six years ago and has since apologized and made amends for it, I'd fully agree with you. But...this...this was never acceptable outside of what? Ancient Greece?

How can you compare those two things to rape?

DigiFluid
July 21st, 2018, 11:46 AM
They were unfunny jokes. He wasn't raping anyone. He wasn't telling people to rape. He was saying words. That's it.

If being rude or crude at some point in your past is a good enough excuse to torpedo your livelihood, we're in a sorry state of affairs indeed.

Looney
July 21st, 2018, 06:43 PM
This is a problem with social media and celebrity. I wonder if this would be happening if people had found these "jokes" in a movie script he wrote or even if it were in a a novel or something. The fact that he put it on social media means people assume that this is who he really is when in fact he was trying to create entertainment and blew it big time. Think what you will about Troma, but their success comes from being counter to culture and appealing to that audience. I can say people are too sensitive, but I can also say I find his comments offensive as many should. That doesn't mean his life should be destroyed just because he poorly judged what he said while trying to create a reaction.

I guess my point is the context. I feel like he was trying to tow the line of the raunchy entity that gave him his start unlike others who specifically targeted a person or persons out a desire to create a reaction with personal attack that came from a place of hate. I'm not saying the individual is full of hate; just that the comments they made came with a hateful tone. Gunn's comments did not come from a place of hate. Gunn's comments came from poor judgement.

Disney definitely overreacted. They should have made him apologize for the ill conceived humor of someone struggling for attention in the world of entertainment and then made him make some LARGE charitable donations. I wish I could say that should have been good enough, but not in this world of Trolls and people who profit by manipulating the populous at the expense of ethics and morality. I'm definitely not saying people shouldn't be aware that he made these "jokes", but I am saying that he should be able to apologize and have everyone move past it. This new world will never allow that too happen. Even if Disney does the right thing and hires him back with the stipulations I suggested above, the profiteers will hound Guardians 3 until long after it is released in theaters. Would it effect the movie? I kind of doubt it unless they can find real ways to compound the attack on him with more material.

So did he make bad jokes? Yes

Should he be allowed to apologize and move passed it and keep his job? Yes

Is he being allowed to move passed it? No - Because people in this world make a living trying to ruin other people's lives.

And just to be fair.
Roseanne

Did she make a bad joke? Yes

Should she be allowed to apologize and move passed it? Yes

Should she be allowed to apologize, move passed it, and continue her show? No because her comments were not just a poorly judged generalized attempt at humor that fit the raunchy model of the entertainment company she was supporting like Gunn. She made an attempt to gain attention that targeted an individual with venom that came with a hateful tone.

Does this mean people who make a living out of trying to ruin people's lives should keep hounding her? No, but they will.

Does this mean she shouldn't be able to have other shows and success? No, but maybe because she just seems to be making things worse by suggesting her politics is the real reason she lost her show when that is not the reality. She should have stuck with the message that she was an "idiot" who poorly chose her words. That isn't exactly what happened, but turning things around and trying to say that what she said isn't the real reason she lost her show is kind of a strong sign that taking her show away from her was probably a good idea.

The real question is what will the fans do?
Will they boycott Guardians without Gunn - I doubt it unless they hire Ron Howard :hammond03::sheppardanime31: (Who I love BTW, but I recognize he does have weaknesses.)
Will they boycott if Gunn is brought back? Well there would be talks of boycotts, but I don't think any boycott would effect the movie significantly just because Gunn was directing unless major victims awareness groups decided to get involved. Nothing would surprise me because people jump on any opportunity to gain attention for themselves or their organization.

AleksisMi
July 21st, 2018, 11:57 PM
i personally dont know if now is the right time to make a guardians of the galaxy film or a marvel film in general... disney should just send back everyones money for all the movie tickets and purchases of things they made... you know... because people could better spend that money on caring for and protecting thier friends neighbors and family, instead of watching entertainment or movies that make you critically examine things or your perspective in life....

i honostly just read the comments on this last page and didnt bother to read the rest..... but i stand by comments of destroying disney because they dared to make movies that were fun and made you think and have a decent if somewhat cheesey plotline... how dare they do that thing they do... making movies.... that are well crafted for their genres

aretood2
July 22nd, 2018, 05:26 PM
They were unfunny jokes. He wasn't raping anyone. He wasn't telling people to rape. He was saying words. That's it.

If being rude or crude at some point in your past is a good enough excuse to torpedo your livelihood, we're in a sorry state of affairs indeed.

Roseanne wasn't lynching anyone nor telling people to do so. I'm sorry, since when does society use "it was just words" to let people off the hook?

My point is why should he be treated differently? His comments were utterly repulsive, that's beyond "unfunny". I'd be more forgiving of him if his jokes were about Mexicans (me, btw) than this. But I'll say this, I do think that he should have been given some leeway since it was so long ago in "another life" so to speak. But then again, people haven't been receiving that benefit. So why should he? If it's because we I starting to draw a line and push back against this new culture of unmerciful knee jerk "fire 'em!" Then I am all for it. But that is not what I am seeing here.

Looney
August 4th, 2018, 02:35 PM
So despite most of the big names attached to Guardians 3 signing a letter to Disney requesting Gunn be rehired it appears Disney is going to hold their ground and keep him out. I doubt it will noticeably effect the box office returns unless there is more controversy.

aretood2
August 4th, 2018, 04:07 PM
This article just about sums up my feelings way better than I have on the matter.

https://www.themarysue.com/disney-not-rehiring-james-gunn/

DigiFluid
August 4th, 2018, 06:40 PM
And I canít stand the tripe that The Mary Sue publishes, so that tracks :p

Gatefan1976
August 4th, 2018, 09:27 PM
This article just about sums up my feelings way better than I have on the matter.

https://www.themarysue.com/disney-not-rehiring-james-gunn/
[/quote]
That "article" is a joke.
It basically asserts that people are incapable of change, even if they apologise.
Now, there are false apologies, granted, but Gunn did not continue his behaviour, he stopped.
That's actual behaviour modification based on self reflection, like "evolving" on any issue.
IF he continued his behaviour post apology however, I would be more in toods camp -but he did not-

[QUOTE=DigiFluid;14632709]And I canít stand the tripe that The Mary Sue publishes, so that tracks :p
It's more opinion disguised as reporting, and as long as you say "opinion" (without political or work related power), I am not fussed, that's first amendment.
Mary sue is not "bad", it's just not "news", Much like half of "Fox" is not news (or NBC, or CNN, or MSNBC), and should be treated the same way.
Opinion pretending to be news is the danger, not the bias of -reporting-

Zohak
August 5th, 2018, 08:32 PM
The Truth about James Gunn and the Pedophile in his Childhood

https://medium.com/@joninarebekka/the-truth-about-james-gunn-and-the-pedophile-in-his-childhood-f7ba23855a82

Disney needs to sue these QAnon asss into the ground.
This was plain as day a hit piece by an alt right hit squad
considering the timeing of the leak was around the finale
merg talkes with disney .And Gunn is anti-trump

DigiFluid
August 6th, 2018, 11:47 AM
Dave Bautista is really sticking by his guns on this (pun totally intended).

Twitter user @eliaseliot wrote to Bautista (https://twitter.com/eliaseliot/status/1026179393549488133):

@DaveBautista Love your support for @JamesGunn. Do you have any plans or response if Disney doesnít reinstate him for GotG3?
Bautista, calling out both Cernovich and Disney for paying any attention to Cernovich, replied (https://twitter.com/DaveBautista/status/1026244855058649095):

I will do what Im legally obligated to do but @Guardians without @JamesGunn is not what I signed up for. GOTG w/o @JamesGunn just isnít GOTG. Its also pretty nauseating to work for someone whoíd empower a smear campaign by fascists #cybernazis . Thatís just how I feel

And he doubled down again today (https://twitter.com/THR/status/1026545981003685888):

Where Iím at right now is that if [Marvel] donít use that script, then Iím going to ask them to release me from my contract, cut me out or recast me. Iíd be doing James a disservice if I didnít

DigiFluid
March 15th, 2019, 10:27 AM
...and then they hired him back! (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/james-gunn-back-as-guardians-galaxy-3-director-1195066)