PDA

View Full Version : Jack-liteness warning (SPOILERS)

Teal'c
May 16th, 2004, 08:04 AM
OK, Robert C. Cooper has told us what the "Jack situation" for Season 8 is: Heavy at the begining, light in the middle and heavy again at the end.

Which means, the first few episodes have to do with Jack (New Order, Zero Hour, Lockdown etc.) and he'll be around as usual. Then the episodes in the middle of the season will be more Jack-lite (Affinity, Icon etc.) and then towards the end there'll be more Jack again (Well... we don't know anything about the second half of the season :P)

This all boils down to one point I want to make. It is enevitably going to happen, example: Icon airs, Icon thread is started, within 4 posts someone says "This episode is stupid, there wasn't enough Jack in it!!! The "Boys in Bridge" suck, fire them..." or something along that :P

You know now where the Jack-liteness is. You know it is necessary for the show. DON'T COMPLAIN OR I'LL HUNT YOU TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH!

This has been a friendly warning from Teal'c, resident happy guy :P

Orb
May 16th, 2004, 08:10 AM
I myself thought ALL of Season 8 would be Jack-lite. Nice to know his presence will at least be there at the beginning and at the end. I didn't expect much and as I do not expect much of Season 8, I promise, no complaining, etc.

Will I miss him......oh yes, but it is the last season, so what what did anyone expect?

Sorry, this is a downer.

ShadowMaat
May 16th, 2004, 08:27 AM
S8 isn't gonna have enough Jack! It's gonna be stupid! The Boys at Bridge suck! :P

Anubis
May 16th, 2004, 09:00 AM
It's good to hear that we will be seeing Jack at the beginning and at the end. Hey, at least we are seeing him!

Madeleine
May 16th, 2004, 10:56 AM
If his absence is handled as well as it was in Lifeboat (Jack was "there" watching Janet and 'Daniel', and even though he was a passive participant in all scenes but one, that one was memorable) or Fall Out (Jack's role was small but very in-character, even pivotal), or FB (Jack was in it loads, it was just RDA who wasn't) then I think I'll be happy.

Especially if he gets to talk to Teal'c and Daniel sometimes.

bcmilco
May 16th, 2004, 01:05 PM
I'm glad they're going to do it this way. :p no complaints from me. :p

Catysg1
May 16th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Well.... if this is true ..then season 8 should be a good season...with lot's of action Jack in the storyline ....and with all the other members of the team ;)

I can't wait for season 8 to start now :)

You rock Jack :D

Caty

auralan
May 16th, 2004, 03:55 PM
At least when Jack is there it sounds like he's really going to be there. Season 7 had a few episodes where it felt like he had scenes designed to be filmed quickly and get him into the episode somehow. I'd much rather have him used effectively less often than having a little each week that doesn't add up to much more than having been there.

David85
May 16th, 2004, 05:27 PM
You know now where the Jack-liteness is. You know it is necessary for the show. DON'T COMPLAIN OR I'LL HUNT YOU TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH!

Can I still complain about Teal'c being pointless and never using him?

Teal'c
May 17th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Can I still complain about Teal'c being pointless and never using him?
No, because he now has hair :P

Shipperahoy
May 17th, 2004, 06:50 PM
While I'm sure that hearing the same complaints over and over again can get tiresome there are people who LOVE the Jack character. LOVE not love. And they will be disapointed with his reduced schedule no matter how it's handled but I think that people should be allowed to complain all they want as long as it doesn't break the forum rules in any way. I know this forum is where I come when I need a good vent and if I see things that are getting repetitive to me I tend to just skim or skip and move on.

Dani347
May 17th, 2004, 07:04 PM
I'm glad they're going to do it this way. :p no complaints from me. :p

I think this is much better than season 7's way of doing it. Trying to put him into every episode just made his appearances walk ons and sparse in so many. I'd rather he not be in a few and actually be in the ones he's in more and to a more meaningful extent, than just have him there in a blink and you'll miss him, just to say, "There's Waldo - I mean, Jack!"

Otis
May 22nd, 2004, 06:22 PM
I think this is much better than season 7's way of doing it. Trying to put him into every episode just made his appearances walk ons and sparse in so many. I'd rather he not be in a few and actually be in the ones he's in more and to a more meaningful extent, than just have him there in a blink and you'll miss him, just to say, "There's Waldo - I mean, Jack!"
I do agree, wholeheartedly!

Kliggins
May 28th, 2004, 02:38 AM
OK, Robert C. Cooper has told us what the "Jack situation" for Season 8 is: Heavy at the begining, light in the middle and heavy again at the end.

Which means, the first few episodes have to do with Jack (New Order, Zero Hour, Lockdown etc.) and he'll be around as usual. Then the episodes in the middle of the season will be more Jack-lite (Affinity, Icon etc.) and then towards the end there'll be more Jack again (Well... we don't know anything about the second half of the season :P)
:P

Sounds pretty promising to me. Looking forward to season eight. :D

angsty_otaku
May 30th, 2004, 12:01 PM
as long as jack's gonna be there...and it's done A LOT better than season 7

Crazedwraith
May 30th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Well.... if this is true ..then season 8 should be a good season...with lot's of action Jack in the storyline ....and with all the other members of the team ;)

Caty

You mean you could before?? What kind of SG-1 fan are you? :D :cool:

Bast
May 30th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Jack Oneil for president!

dipsofjazz
May 30th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Jack Oneil for president!
That's O'Neill.....with two l's! :D ;)

Bagpuss
May 30th, 2004, 02:54 PM
No probs with "Less" Jack as long as his appearances are meaningful and add to the Storylines in a positive way.....

ShadowMaat
May 30th, 2004, 02:58 PM
I say the less Jack, the better! :P

At least with less Jack, there's less ship. Unfortunately, the side effect of that means that when Jack IS around, ship will probably be ramped up twice as high. *sigh* It's a no-win situation...

astronomicalchick
June 3rd, 2004, 02:55 AM

This all boils down to one point I want to make. It is enevitably going to happen, example: Icon airs, Icon thread is started, within 4 posts someone says "This episode is stupid, there wasn't enough Jack in it!!! The "Boys in Bridge" suck, fire them..." or something along that :P

This has been a friendly warning from Teal'c, resident happy guy :P

Thanks for the heads-up Teal'c person, I'll just skip the other eps then.

Teal'c
June 3rd, 2004, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the heads-up Teal'c person, I'll just skip the other eps then.
My, how very shallow of you :P

Kelso
June 3rd, 2004, 12:05 PM
I like O'Niell, but he is terribly over-rated. The other characters are interesting enough to keep me watching the show, whether Jack is around or not.

Otis
June 5th, 2004, 05:18 PM
I disagree that he is overrated. He's a good actor/ The other actors have stepped up their performances since the beginning eps. I'll miss the Jack/Daniel banter in the Jack-lite episodes, but I'm glad he's doing some!

Elwe Singollo
June 5th, 2004, 08:21 PM
I disagree that he is overrated. He's a good actor/ The other actors have stepped up their performances since the beginning eps. I'll miss the Jack/Daniel banter in the Jack-lite episodes, but I'm glad he's doing some!I think since the other actors have 'improved' their acting in the shows, the show will still be different, but will still be as good :) Of course, i'll miss the supreme acting of RDA, especially in season 6, Abyss, where Jack and Daniel are fighting about breakin Jack out and stuff, that was pretty 'dramatic' and a strong scene.. :D

Albion
June 21st, 2004, 06:30 AM
Unfortunately, the side effect of that means that when Jack IS around, ship will probably be ramped up twice as high. *sigh* It's a no-win situation..

Well, unless you're a shipper, of course. :p Personally, I agree with those thinking that this will work much better than in S7. I was very wary of all the changes being touted for S8, but now that I have spectacularly failed in my private vow to avoid all spoilers (sigh) I'm just getting more excited by the minute and really looking forward to the new season. I've even given up my hatred of the very notion of Teal'c having hair now that I've seen the pictures. :rolleyes:

As far as Jack goes, I really hope we get more Daniel/Jack dynamics. Jack/Teal'c too (perhaps in Affinity?). I agree the interaction between them in Abyss was wonderful. But mostly I just want more: "Daniel?" "Jack?" :D

Roll on, July!

Albion :)

Livi2Jack
June 21st, 2004, 06:33 AM
Sorry, RDA has his name ABOVE the title for a reason. He is the draw. And he can out act any of the others. He is the glue that binds. We need more Jack 24/7/365.

Anubis
June 21st, 2004, 06:51 AM
You're right, he is the glue and it is his show but I still think he's doing a good job as far as his appearance is concerned

shinyredpants
June 21st, 2004, 07:01 AM
You know...sure, not having jack around all the time will be a bit sad, but in the end all i care about is how good the episodes are...

Anubis
June 21st, 2004, 07:03 AM
I agrre, we do need some quality episodes

Elwe Singollo
June 21st, 2004, 11:28 AM
They're have been 'good' quality episodes, just not all people agree, haha..

ana
June 21st, 2004, 04:35 PM

Caty

your words, my words.:) :)

Anubis
June 21st, 2004, 11:12 PM
Yes, there have been good episodes but not everyone agrees but there is a majority of them that people do agree on

Anthro Girl
June 21st, 2004, 11:30 PM
No, because he now has hair :P

Excellent! :D

There are effective and non-effective ways of dealing with RDAs schedule, but that's all up to the production team. Honestly, I wish I never knew about RDAs reduced schedule, but I think they (the production team) did a good job working around it. It's easy to say "they should have...the could have" now that the season is over. The real star of the show is whoever handles the shooting schedule. :eek:

Chirp
June 28th, 2004, 12:26 PM
RDA is very important to the show, but doesn't he deserve a life too? He is doing everything that is humanly possable to keep the show on, with him in it. REALATIY CHECK HERE, He flys back to Cal. every week then back to Vancover every 3 to 4 days. and then he gets a week off. I wonder if he gets flyer miles on that? What would happen to you if you had to do that for 8 years? Think about it. I'm not being mean in my thinking to the fans I'm thinking of the stress that comes from being in two places at once that is the problem. Give him a chance on this 8th season just like someone said already, even if it just to see him in one show, just standing there is good enough for me. If not so what Stargate is still on. :D