PDA

View Full Version : Anyone all Superhero'd out?

Alan Wake
July 26th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I personally am getting a little sick of all the hero movies lately, and all the ones coming up.

It's not that I don't enjoy them. Batman, superman... all these are great. But if you're not the biggest fan of these comics, like me... you'll probably tired of them.

We've got Batman 3 possibly coming, Wonderwoman, Green Lantern... Captain American.. The Avengers.. Hulk... Iron Man...Thor... and all of the lesser known hero's that I've forgotten, but are surly getting movies too.

It would be one thing if these movies were being made to bring back these characters for the fans that love them so much... but they'e not. These movies are being shoveled out just to get more and more money. It's a shame that's the way Hollywood does things.

jelgate
July 26th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Money. Its all about money. And those movies have shown to pull out the money

SaberBlade
July 26th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I can't say I'm sick of them, because I've enjoyed the ones I have seen. It's also nice to see these characters branching together to star in The Avengers.

That said, I do think they may be starting to milk it. If it's not sequels, it's new characters. If it's not new characters, it's rebooting the old ones. This is mainly aimed at Marvel though. Now they are trying to do TV stuff and the 10 minute vignettes (potentially) before their movies to see if there is a good enough reception to warrant a feature.

I actually like what DC are doing, they do a big blockbuster a year or two apart and fill in the gaps with directed to dvd animated films. Although this disappoints me as they aren't part of the DCAU, but happy enough they get the likes of Tim Daly and Kevin Conroy back (or at least seem to try).

nx01a
July 26th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Some of the superhero movies suck and some are brilliant. Hollywood's milking them just like they milk zombies and vampires and wizards and 80s remakes.

J-Whitt Remastered
July 26th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I've loved most of what's come out recently (ie Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Iron Man 1& 2). I'm also looking forward to Green Lantern, the next Batman, and whenever the next Iron Man comes out I'll be seeing it. As long as they make good action movies that non comic book nerds like myself can watch and enjoy I'll be watching the interesting looking ones.

Fan-e-Gate
July 26th, 2010, 06:31 PM
It's a phase. For a while it was westerns, another time it was teen movies, at yet another time political thrillers. Only the gods know what it will be in a year or two.

magictrick
July 26th, 2010, 06:59 PM
They realized they can make mass amounts of money from these movies so they keep producing them. Its all about the bottom line, and right now it shows that these movies bring in revenue.

nx01a
July 26th, 2010, 07:16 PM
There's obviously a market for good superhero movies. To be honest, most of them're just a new strain of the tried and true summer blockbuster full of sfx explosions and action. Others [like The Dark Knight] are just good movies, period. And then there're the ones that just suck and make no money [the 2nd Punisher movie, Jonah Hex].

Replicator Todd
July 26th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Honestly, I think we don't have enough superhero movies. There are so many great comic books which have not been adapted into films. I WANT MORE! :D

Wayston
July 27th, 2010, 01:44 AM
I've been sick of them from the moment they started coming out of the woodworks this decade. I went to see spiderman 1 and the hulk when they came out in the cinema's and they didn't quite do it for me. Other then watchmen (too long and booooring, it started out good but completely fell apart somewhere) I was wise enough not to watch any of this type of movies in the cinema again. Some of the others I watched or tried watching on TV. Fantastic 4 2 was decent but did not want to make me watch either Fantastic 4 1 or a potential 3. Hellboy I just turned off after a few minutes. It was booorrrrringgg. And let's not get into the transformer movies... The one with will smith was pretty good but then mostly because it was more of a parody on the genre. Unfortunatly my negative experience with most of these films has gotten me biased with what is probably one of the better ones (iron man). In can't bring myself to watching it yet though, but I might.

The only good one was the batman reboot, haven't seen the newer batman with heath ledger but I definatly will if I happen to stumble on it somewhere.

fugiman
July 27th, 2010, 01:58 AM
I skipped to the bottom but I LOVE Superhero movies, I am a bit of a comic book nerd so I love to see all of them but I will say that I am not tired of superhero movies just crappy superhero movies that are trying to make a buck off of a name and not making a movie up to the standards of the comics

I mean lets look at Johan Hex, they were just trying to make a quick buck and that backed fired and they lost millions

So if anyone from Marvel or DC ever comes on here I'm going to say this once

"If you are going to make a film based on your comics do it right or don't do it all"

I bet Jack Kirby is rolling in his grave at the sight of F4, Spiderman 3, and many many more

RIP Jack you will always be remembered by those who actually care about what you made

KEK
July 27th, 2010, 02:30 AM
I've been sick of them since the craze began, they do very little for me. Watchmen was good, other than that I've been disappointed with pretty much everything that's come out, especially Iron Man.

xxxevilgrinxxx
July 27th, 2010, 07:23 AM
it depends on who it is
some superheroes are just so one dimensional that they're unwatchable (I'm looking at you, Batman!), but I've never really been a superhero fan, no. I don't oblect to them in and of themselves, I just can't stand the way so many of them are written

TBA
July 27th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Getting sick of them too... Nolan's Batman reboot was brilliant though, and Iron Man was entertaining, but other than that it's been meh. Could also be that my preferences in movies have changed, and that I'd have found it awesome five years back.

Linda06
July 27th, 2010, 09:22 AM
I must admit it is getting rather tiresome. However I do love X-Men (the original cartoon version, not evolution) I do wish the movies were more to the original cartoon. I liked the older Batman movies, haven't watched the new one's cause I don't like Christian Bale as an actor *shrugs* I saw Watchmen cause it looked sooooo good in the trailers, well it was a big letdown. It wasn't a good movie at all IMO.

xxxevilgrinxxx
July 27th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I must admit it is getting rather tiresome. However I do love X-Men (the original cartoon version, not evolution) I do wish the movies were more to the original cartoon. I liked the older Batman movies, haven't watched the new one's cause I don't like Christian Bale as an actor *shrugs* I saw Watchmen cause it looked sooooo good in the trailers, well it was a big letdown. It wasn't a good movie at all IMO.
yeah, I do like the X-Men, specifically a certain hairy little Canadian but otherwise? Meh

Linda06
July 27th, 2010, 09:39 AM
yeah, I do like the X-Men, specifically a certain hairy little Canadian but otherwise? Meh

The X-Men rocks over the rest :D The Cartoons, not so much the movies ;)

A Hairy little Canadian? The only Hairy one I can think of is Beast :o It's been a while since I saw it :p I'm actually planning on getting the DVD's of the proper cartoon version :D

xxxevilgrinxxx
July 27th, 2010, 09:42 AM
The X-Men rocks over the rest :D The Cartoons, not so much the movies ;)

A Hairy little Canadian? The only Hairy one I can think of is Beast :o It's been a while since I saw it :p I'm actually planning on getting the DVD's of the proper cartoon version :D

Wolverine. I'm a huge Wolverine geek. Comic collection, tattoo, the whole nine yards, :lol:

Linda06
July 27th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Wolverine. I'm a huge Wolverine geek. Comic collection, tattoo, the whole nine yards, :lol:

A right, *faceplam* I thought you meant hairy as in all hairy :o Silly me :p Hugh Jackman was awesome as Wolvie, and rather HOT :D My faves were Gambit and Storm :D But Gambit wasn't part of the X-Men team in the movies :(

jelgate
July 27th, 2010, 10:16 AM
A right, *faceplam* I thought you meant hairy as in all hairy :o Silly me :p Hugh Jackman was awesome as Wolvie, and rather HOT :D My faves were Gambit and Storm :D But Gambit wasn't part of the X-Men team in the movies :(

And that is way the X-Men movies failed. Too much pleasing the rabid fangirls in Wolverine that they neglected the other X-Men.

Linda06
July 27th, 2010, 10:31 AM
And that is way the X-Men movies failed. Too much pleasing the rabid fangirls in Wolverine that they neglected the other X-Men.

Yeah I guess they forgot they had more than one X-Men :rolleyes: Storm didn't really get all that much to do in the movies. Gambit wasn't even there :( Rogue was a Teenager? sorta. Rogues a little bit older than that plus she can fly after she touched um.....That woman whose name escapes me :p

It did feel a little disjointed to me *shrugs*

jelgate
July 27th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Yeah I guess they forgot they had more than one X-Men :rolleyes: Storm didn't really get all that much to do in the movies. Gambit wasn't even there :( Rogue was a Teenager? sorta. Rogues a little bit older than that plus she can fly after she touched um.....That woman whose name escapes me :p

It did feel a little disjointed to me *shrugs*
Miss Marvel

xxxevilgrinxxx
July 27th, 2010, 10:37 AM
it is a shame that they missed out on so many of the others
Gambit does show up in the Wolverine origins movie, however, as well as a really yummy Liev Schreiber as Sabretooth

Linda06
July 27th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Miss Marvel

Yeah that's her :D I forgot her name :o

it is a shame that they missed out on so many of the others
Gambit does show up in the Wolverine origins movie, however, as well as a really yummy Liev Schreiber as Sabretooth

I haven't seen that one, but I'm assuming he still isn't part of X-Men :(

Replicator Todd
July 27th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Fox screwed X-Men, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, and Elektra big time, and Sony screwed Spidey. But if there is anything with superheroes, I will be there!

SaberBlade
July 27th, 2010, 11:38 AM

Completely agree. X-Men 1, 2 and 3 aren't X-Men movies, they were just early attempts at Wolverine movies. X-Men 3 wasn't as bad, but X-Men 1 and 2 couldn't have been more about Wolverine.

xxxevilgrinxxx
July 27th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Yeah that's her :D I forgot her name :o

I haven't seen that one, but I'm assuming he still isn't part of X-Men :(

not yet, no, but it's getting there

Spimman
July 27th, 2010, 11:59 AM

Define failed.

X1 - $300 million
X2 - $400 million+
X3 - $450 million+

X Origins: Wolverine - $370 million+

While as a fan I didn't like X3 as much as the previous 2 films, but I would have a hard time saying the movie failed in any way other than my own opinion of the film(s). These were all either the highest or one of the highest grossing films of the years in which they were released. This money likely doesn't include the rise in comic sales and action figures associated with the movies as well.

I for one enjoy many of the superhero movies, although I won't see them all in the theaters as some can be cheesy, or just not appealing to me.

Shan Bruce Lee
July 27th, 2010, 01:19 PM
If they didn't make money they wouldn't keep making them.
If people didn't want them they wouldn't keep paying to see them.

Linda06
July 27th, 2010, 01:23 PM
not yet, no, but it's getting there

He has to join the X-Men cause ya know......Him and Rogue have got a thing going on :D What? :D

jelgate
July 27th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Define failed.

X1 - $300 million
X2 - $400 million+
X3 - $450 million+

X Origins: Wolverine - $370 million+

While as a fan I didn't like X3 as much as the previous 2 films, but I would have a hard time saying the movie failed in any way other than my own opinion of the film(s). These were all either the highest or one of the highest grossing films of the years in which they were released. This money likely doesn't include the rise in comic sales and action figures associated with the movies as well.

I for one enjoy many of the superhero movies, although I won't see them all in the theaters as some can be cheesy, or just not appealing to me.

I'm talking quality not money. Very few of the superhero movies failed financially

Replicator Todd
July 27th, 2010, 06:34 PM
The real question is, what will take over after Superheroes! :eek: Vampires and Zombies seem to be gaining power....

jelgate
July 27th, 2010, 07:38 PM
The real question is, what will take over after Superheroes!Vampires and Zombies seem to be gaining power....
Its our worst fear. Now superheroes movies aren't the definition of creativity but at least it isn't Twilight

SaberBlade
July 27th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I'm talking quality not money. Very few of the superhero movies failed financially

I think the only financial failures have been Punisher: War Zone (seen) and Jonah Hex (haven't seen). The rest have at least made some money.

--

I think financial success is the biggest problem with all these superhero movies. I'm specifically naming Marvel here, because DC haven't really did much. I'm probably the only person who wishes these movies were more like Daredevil. They did the movie, it made it's budget+$100 million, they realised it wasn't a good movie so decided to do a low budget spinoff than risk a big budget sequel, and when the spinoff failed (but still made a profit), they scrapped the franchise all together.

Why couldn't they do that with Fantastic Four? it wasn't a good movie despite making a lot, they did a sequel which cost more and made less, but instead of just cancelling the franchise (or at least taking the spinoff route), they reboot.

I could say the same for Ghost Rider but I'm waiting until I see the directors cut (Not sure I've seen the directors version of Daredevil either, so maybe it's better than the original too). I would say the same thing about Hulk, but I've seen it's reboot a few times and it's a better movie than the original. Watching the original Hulk movie is like watching the anime Evangelion. You get so far into it, it's all well, you're looking forward to the end, and then you mind screwed and it makes no sense at all.

The real question is, what will take over after Superheroes! :eek: Vampires and Zombies seem to be gaining power....

Zombies seem best suited for Zom-Coms. Zombie movies tend to be the same, but when comedy is involved they are much more fun. Get Sam Raimi to make another Evil Dead movie. As for Vampires, I'd rather stick to Comic Book movies than sparkling emo vampires. I think what is up next will be proper videogame adaptations.

The most successful videogame movie to date has been Prince of Persia, and before that it was Tomb Raider. I'm sure we can all tell why Tomb Raider was successful, but videogame movies have never gotten any real serious director attention. Comic Book movies get the likes of Kenneth Brannagh, Sam Raimi, Bryan Singer, Ang Lee, Guillermo del Toro, David Goyer, Christopher Nolan and Joss Whedon.

Videogames have gotten such notables as the guy who directed Harry Potter 5 (but to be fair, that made like 900 million, christ knows what 3d would have done plus he did Four Wedding and a Funeral, widely regarded as one of the best british movies ever. And he did Donnie Brasco), Paul Anderson (who most seem to hate despite his success with AvP, Resident Evil in general and the first Mortal Kombat. Plus he did Event Horizon which is a great movie) and the champion of champions, Uwe "the toilet" Boll. A guy so full of awesome, he has challenged his critics to boxing matches.

Heaven
July 27th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I hate heroes. and superheroes are the worst :mad:

Spimman
July 27th, 2010, 08:49 PM

The latest Star Trek movie was a huge hit, maybe a run of serious and good future science fiction movies will catch on, more Trek movies just being part of that movement! :)

jelgate
July 27th, 2010, 08:57 PM
The latest Star Trek movie was a huge hit, maybe a run of serious and good future science fiction movies will catch on, more Trek movies just being part of that movement! :)

I just hope their is some substance to them versus then flash Trek 2009 had

Alan Wake
July 27th, 2010, 09:16 PM

Well, when you're trying to reach a new audience... you really have to pick and choice what "substance" you leave in, or take out.

A portion of the viewers wouldn't be able to follow substance in this movie that's relating to the older shows.

jelgate
July 27th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Well, when you're trying to reach a new audience... you really have to pick and choice what "substance" you leave in, or take out.

A portion of the viewers wouldn't be able to follow substance in this movie that's relating to the older shows.

Substance does not mean relation to the old series. It means having some story instead of flashy VHX.

Alan Wake
July 27th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Substance does not mean relation to the old series. It means having some story instead of flashy VHX.

It had a story.

In fact, the story is vaguely similar to First Contact. Time travel, bad guys v.s. good guys, action, death ... conclusion. It did everything First Contact did... but on a bigger scale. Would you say that film didn't have substance too?

I think saying this film doesn't have substance is a little harsh. And you being a big Star Trek fan... maybe a hint of being biased too?

jelgate
July 27th, 2010, 10:51 PM
It had a story.

In fact, the story is vaguely similar to First Contact. Time travel, bad guys v.s. good guys, action, death ... conclusion. It did everything First Contact did... but on a bigger scale. Would you say that film didn't have substance too?

I think saying this film doesn't have substance is a little harsh. And you being a big Star Trek fan... maybe a hint of being biased too?
DigiFLuid was right about you. No taste.

They both had time travel. That is about it. The characters were so flat and the story of Nero and his mission seem so jaded. It made little sense out to have CGI space battle. How Star Wars of JJ Abrams?:P

If you want to get technical with the big Star Trek has we all have bias towards it in some way

Replicator Todd
July 27th, 2010, 11:11 PM

Star Trek 2009 was probably the best film of 2009 IMO, and one of my favorite movies of the past 5-10 years. I thought the story was great and yet simple. I like it better than every episode TOS, ENT, and TNG. Which I all enjoyed....its been a while since I have watched VOY or DS9 so I can't really determine what I liked better.

Alan Wake
July 27th, 2010, 11:14 PM
^ Let's not argue with Jelgate.

You'll have a better chance moving a 100 pound rock with just your voice :P

Replicator Todd
July 27th, 2010, 11:18 PM

Its fun to argue with the Jelgate. For the Jelgate is Hallowed.

maneth
July 27th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I haven't seen all of the superhero movies that have come out recently, but what I've seen I've enjoyed. But I do think it was a bit much to remake The Hulk only 5 years after the previous incarnation (2003 and 2008 respectively). I loved Batman Begins and TDK.

jelgate
July 28th, 2010, 08:05 AM

Violating the laws of Physic is the only way that will happen:P

xxxevilgrinxxx
July 28th, 2010, 10:01 AM

I do like zombie flicks, but they're timeless. I'll be glad to see vampires drop away to nothing again, save the odd well done, non-sparkly, non-teenage angst flick

Linda06
July 28th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Videogames have gotten such notables as the guy who directed Harry Potter 5 (but to be fair, that made like 900 million, christ knows what 3d would have done plus he did Four Wedding and a Funeral, widely regarded as one of the best british movies ever. And he did Donnie Brasco), Paul Anderson (who most seem to hate despite his success with AvP, Resident Evil in general and the first Mortal Kombat. Plus he did Event Horizon which is a great movie) and the champion of champions, Uwe "the toilet" Boll. A guy so full of awesome, he has challenged his critics to boxing matches.

That is highly debatable. I got through 45 minutes of it before I had to turn it off :mckay: What a load of rubbish :p

I do like zombie flicks, but they're timeless. I'll be glad to see vampires drop away to nothing again, save the odd well done, non-sparkly, non-teenage angst flick

*nods head* *sits and waits on Resident Evil Afterlife coming out* :D

SaberBlade
July 28th, 2010, 10:35 AM
That is highly debatable. I got through 45 minutes of it before I had to turn it off :mckay: What a load of rubbish :p

That's why I said "widely regarded" as opposed "is one the best" because I personally find the film to be boring as hell. Me getting through 45 minutes would be a record. I'm more of a "Big Fat Greek Wedding" fan.

Linda06
July 28th, 2010, 10:57 AM
That's why I said "widely regarded" as opposed "is one the best" because I personally find the film to be boring as hell. Me getting through 45 minutes would be a record. I'm more of a "Big Fat Greek Wedding" fan.

Boring yeah. And humourless which isn't good for a film that was supposed to be funny :eek: :p I tend to give most movies a fair chance first before I throw in the towel. I got through just over half way with "American Psycho" before I started fast forwarding that to see if anything happened for the remainder of the movie. Nothing did. I watched all of Watchmen and at the end felt disappointed with it. The trailers looked so good :( I guess I saw the best bits of the movie in the trailers :p I wish I knew that before I wasted my time ;)

Replicator Todd
July 28th, 2010, 04:27 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing more Underworld films though...but I wonder if a serious vampire film can survive without being slapped in the face with Twilight.

SaberBlade
July 28th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing more Underworld films though...but I wonder if a serious vampire film can survive without being slapped in the face with Twilight.

The problem with Underworld, was that they too were crapped up by a romance being added to the plot. I think the only hope we could have for a good vampire movie without romance could be a new Blade movie. It's comic books, vampires and no love story. win, win and win. They could introduce a new fearsome villain, the powerful and unstoppable IRS.

Replicator Todd
July 28th, 2010, 04:48 PM
The problem with Underworld, was that they too were crapped up by a romance being added to the plot. I think the only hope we could have for a good vampire movie without romance could be a new Blade movie. It's comic books, vampires and no love story. win, win and win. They could introduce a new fearsome villain, the powerful and unstoppable IRS.

Ah Blade, how I wish for another Blade film so much. One of my main issues with vampire stories is that they always end up having romance and becomes based on that romance. Its so annoying!

SaberBlade
July 28th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Ah Blade, how I wish for another Blade film so much. One of my main issues with vampire stories is that they always end up having romance and becomes based on that romance. Its so annoying!

I don't think romance will ever go away from vampires, as Bram Stoker basically screwed everyone with his trio of vampire whores and falling in love with another man's fiancee. It's hard to escape it when the most popular vampire inspired franchises have been Buffy and Twilight.

The problem is, we don't want this. We want vampires like the opening of Blade 2 and the rave scene from Blade 1. I think someone should ask Marvel to take all the action sequences from the Blade trilogy, stick them together as one movie and release it in cinema for a limited time just to see how vampires were done right.

dosed150
July 28th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I don't think romance will ever go away from vampires, as Bram Stoker basically screwed everyone with his trio of vampire whores and falling in love with another man's fiancee. It's hard to escape it when the most popular vampire inspired franchises have been Buffy and Twilight.

The problem is, we don't want this. We want vampires like the opening of Blade 2 and the rave scene from Blade 1. I think someone should ask Marvel to take all the action sequences from the Blade trilogy, stick them together as one movie and release it in cinema for a limited time just to see how vampires were done right.

actually just watched blade now, definetely need to get vampires back to murdering and raving instead of falling in love, its a shame blade the series got cancelled.

I actually liked buffy but was definetely too much angsty teenage love type stuff, buffy with any guy except early on with spike was too much

Replicator Todd
July 28th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Just read Hellboy: Seed of Destruction....I am definitely not tired of Superheroes....I want more Hellboy! :D

SaberBlade
July 28th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Buffy with romance suffered the same problems as vampires+romance in general. The single most awesome thing Buffy ever did was kill Angel. It's hard to take the whole "girl power" aspect of the show seriously when "angsty teenage love type stuff" gets in the way, and then they bring Angel back and they start the whole thing over again.

dosed150
July 28th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Buffy with romance suffered the same problems as vampires+romance in general. The single most awesome thing Buffy ever did was kill Angel. It's hard to take the whole "girl power" aspect of the show seriously when "angsty teenage love type stuff" gets in the way, and then they bring Angel back and they start the whole thing over again.

angel was even more of an angsty teenage girl than buffy, at least spike was still sort of cool when he turned good

myhelix
August 11th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I am getting very sick with the usual Hollywood formula. I have enough of super humans and matrix like action in every second film that get made since the year 2000. It all looks the same. I saw 5 Trailers in cinema yesterday and 4 of these films had those slow-mo matrix action sequence in them, boring! I recommend that article from cracked.com

5 Annoying Trends That Make Every Movie Look the Same (http://www.cracked.com/article_18664_5-annoying-trends-that-make-every-movie-look-same.html)

SaberBlade
August 11th, 2010, 12:03 PM
I love how 3D was number 1, and also came out why how movies can make so much money because of jacked up ticket prices. It just furthers my hope that people won't put for up cheap 3d jobs and only pay for the real thing.

Linda06
August 11th, 2010, 12:03 PM
I am getting very sick with the usual Hollywood formula. I have enough of super humans and matrix like action in every second film that get made since the year 2000. It all looks the same. I saw 5 Trailers in cinema yesterday and 4 of these films had those slow-mo matrix action sequence in them, boring! I recommend that article from cracked.com

5 Annoying Trends That Make Every Movie Look the Same (http://www.cracked.com/article_18664_5-annoying-trends-that-make-every-movie-look-same.html)

Cool :cool:

I almost fell off my chair at this
"Then there are more subtle ones, for instance movies set in the desert tend to be yellow. And we don't mean when they're out in the sun and sand, either. Even when indoors it'll often look like it was filmed through a jar of urine:" :lol:

That was a fun read, but true. Some of the movies I'm like "what the hell?" Some of those things get really annoying when it's overdone.