There and back in a PJ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There and back in a PJ?

I don't know if this has been thought of, but...

What about installing a HyperDrive in a Puddle Jumper? Then using the program from the gatebridge to connect the gates in a galaxy together? Both of those things have been done to a certain extent, altough the HD in the PJ wasn't exactly perfect, but I'm sure they could build a 302 that could do the same thing (fitting through a gate). Use the HD between galaxies and the gate bridge program in the galaxies...

Or am I missing something?

that's the part , the distance between galaxies is so gigantically huge you can't cross it whit a PJ
    sigpic
    Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
    StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
    GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Originally posted by vjlax18 View Post
      Or am I missing something?
      A) The Hyperdrive for the Puddle Jumper was stated to have a maximum range of ~2,000 light-years (which could, in reality, cover most of the Pegasus galaxy). The distance between galaxies is generally on the order of a few million light-years and the distance between galactic groups/clusters tends to be on the order of tens of millions of light-years.

B) The Puddle Jumper's hypdredrive was, presumably, not of the intergalactic variety, meaning that it would take it decades just to get from one galaxy to another, even if it had the range cross the gap.

C) Making a 'Gate Bridge requires knowledge of the locations or addresses of all Stargates in the Bridge - which would effectively require knowing the location of every Stargate seeded on the Destiny's path. They had to leap frog through over a dozen Stargates in "Lost" (Rush and James split up on the tenth planet) just to cover the ground from one of Destiny's jumps. Thus, even if they somehow gained access to the necessary information, constructing a 'Gate bridge would still require knowing and communicating back to Earth the addresses of potentially hundreds of millions of Stargates.
      "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
      - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
      - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
      - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Well the hyperdrive pj from atlantis aside, it could be possible to do this, if we built one ourselves with earth materials, reused some of the tech from a broken jumper, plugged in a ZPM, and if we got access the full database from the seeder ships and destiny and we were able to compensate for stellar drift and what not... though all of that is an extreme long shot, since they can't actually transmit data home, getting all that information back to earth would have to be done by people going back and forth with the stones which would take ages..
        I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

also we should thing that the seeder ships started putting gates after 10 or 20 galaxies away from here
          sigpic
          Stargate Mods List

Comment

Originally posted by webxro View Post
            also we should thing that the seeder ships started putting gates after 10 or 20 galaxies away from here
            Id tend to agree with you that they started a few galaxies out, maybe not that many... though a lot of people argue that since Pegasus was mentioned in Air when looking at Destinys flight path, that Pegasus was seeded and these gates were later replaced with the pegasus style gates... which is extremely unlikely... Like that mention was just a throwback to SGA

Comment

it would waste a lot of time to take every one of the hundreds of galaxies , it would make more sense to start seeding from the point where the ancients would begin to explore
              sigpic
              Stargate Mods List

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                Id tend to agree with you that they started a few galaxies out, maybe not that many... though a lot of people argue that since Pegasus was mentioned in Air when looking at Destinys flight path, that Pegasus was seeded and these gates were later replaced with the pegasus style gates... which is extremely unlikely...
                How is that particularly unlikely?
                "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."

Comment

just starting and seeding every galaxy whit gates would be a big waste of resources and time , especially if they don't intend to use them , just read the post above you
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Mods List

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                    How is that particularly unlikely?
                    Well the lack of Destiny style gates in Pegasus for one (the ancients weren't on Destiny so they never knew where the gates were in pegasus not to mention there was probably a million years or so between Destiny and Atlantis leaving Earth, the fact that pegasus is just a hop skip and jump away for 2... Destiny is an extreme deep space mission, they're hardly going to use it for something thats so close by (3 weeks for us, 1 week for the asgard iirc so probably less or at least the same for the ancients) Id say the seeder ships travelled for at least several months before it started seeding...

Plus webrxo's reason there is good, mentioning Pegasus was just a throwback to SGA, just there for the fans of the franchise to say "Ohhh Atlantis"

Comment

Well the lack of Destiny style gates in Pegasus for one (the ancients weren't on Destiny so they never knew where the gates were in pegasus
                      We know that Destiny-style Stargates can "ping" the location of similar nearby Stargates (or at least the remotes can). There is no reason to think that the Ancients could not have made use of this ability the same when they colonized Pegasus.

Moreover, we know that the 'Gate-seeders are transmitting information about what they find. This presumably includes the locations of the Stargates that they seed.

not to mention there was probably a million years or so between Destiny and Atlantis leaving Earth
                      I fail to see how this is relevant.

the fact that pegasus is just a hop skip and jump away for 2... Destiny is an extreme deep space mission, they're hardly going to use it for something thats so close by (3 weeks for us, 1 week for the asgard iirc so probably less or at least the same for the ancients)
                      It costs the Ancients nothing but time to have the 'Gate-seeders seed an extra galaxy or ten. The fact that the Destiny has been traveling for millions of years while skipping over tens of Stargates at a time, and still has not caught up with the 'Gate-seeders, suggests that time is also not a significant problem on this issue.

Plus webrxo's reason there is good, mentioning Pegasus was just a throwback to SGA, just there for the fans of the franchise to say "Ohhh Atlantis"
                      Maybe, but that doesn't rule out the possibility (or even make it particularly unlikely) that the 'Gate-seeders seeded Pegasus.

Originally posted by webxro View Post
                      it would waste a lot of time to take every one of the hundreds of galaxies , it would make more sense to start seeding from the point where the ancients would begin to explore
                      Again, it costs the Ancients nothing for the 'Gate-seeders to seed a few extra galaxies - remember, the 'Gate-seeders have to gather their own materials and build there own Stargates, and the fact that Destiny still hasn't caught up to them suggests that they do it really quickly.

Look at it this way: you're already going to be sending these ships out, whether they seed this nearby galaxy or not, so why not have them explore there too, since it costs you nothing and saves you the trouble of having to mount another mission specifically to explore this other galaxy.

Comment

We don't know how the macro Mckay made works. I doubt it is simple as plugging in the macro and dailing I suspect you would have to reprogram each gate in the chain but good idea anyway.

Comment

Quadhelix what proof do you offer for Destiny seeding Pegasus??, aside from tptb mentioning it in the pilot, which was nothing more then a throwback to SGA for the fans.

and its relavant how much time is between them because if ten million years passed between the launch of Destiny and the ancients going to pegasus, EVEN IF they remained in contact with the seeder ships and Destiny (Which is unlikely, because neither Earth nor Atlantis have received any 'old degraded' communcations and given the apparent top secret nature of Destiny, nor has it ever been indicated that they stayed in contact with Earth)

Again yes it only costs time for the ancients to wait to seed pegasus, but why bother having the seeder ships seed pegasus? it probably took the ancients a few days for a round trip and Destiny is either following something (planet builders maybe..) or has a physical location to get to so I doubt the seeder ships and Destiny were stopping and seeded every and any galaxy, if anything they would want to increase efficiency by reducing the lenght of the mission by starting seeding a bit further away... Also Destiny is very clearly a deep space exploration, not to mention the 8th chevron of the gate was designed exactly for situations like dialling pegasus, and since destiny style gates (at least the ones seeded anyway) are not capable of this they can't have dialled there from Earth, also when it comes around the time to go to pegasus, if the galaxy was seeded, going to Destiny and getting all the information on the gates seeded in Pegasus would have made an awful lot more sense then just randomly searching through pegasus for Destiny style gates and pinging around to get them all and then replacing all of them one by one
                          Last edited by Puddle-Jumper; 27 July 2010, 08:54 AM.

Comment

it also specifies that when the ancients left MW they seeded PG
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Mods List

Comment

Quadhelix what proof do you offer for Destiny seeding Pegasus??, aside from tptb mentioning it in the pilot, which was nothing more then a throwback to SGA for the fans.
                              Let's try to keep the goalposts in one place, shall we? I don't need to prove that Pegasus was seeded as part of the Destiny Mission; I was responding to this:
                              though a lot of people argue that since Pegasus was mentioned in Air when looking at Destinys flight path, that Pegasus was seeded and these gates were later replaced with the pegasus style gates... which is extremely unlikely... Like that mention was just a throwback to SGA
                              In other words, it is a question of likelihood, not proof, and I would appreciate it if we kept our standards consistent, or at least provide some warning when they are about to change.

and its relavant how much time is between them because if ten million years passed between the launch of Destiny and the ancients going to pegasus, EVEN IF they remained in contact with the seeder ships and Destiny (Which is unlikely, because neither Earth nor Atlantis have received any 'old degraded' communcations and given the apparent top secret nature of Destiny, nor has it ever been indicated that they stayed in contact with Earth)
                              Except that, again, we know that Destiny-style Stargate update one another with nearby addresses.

Also, we don't really know that there aren't any Destiny-style Stargates in Pegasus (you cite their absence as evidence of your position) as the very Stargates that would not get replaced (once that were lost/disconnected from the network) are the very ones about which team would not know and thus would not be able to visit.

Again yes it only costs time for the ancients to wait to seed pegasus, but why bother having the seeder ships seed pegasus?
                              Because if they are passing through anyway, why not have them seed some Stargates and save yourself from having to build another set of seeder ships.

it probably took the ancients a few days for a round trip and Destiny is either following something (planet builders maybe..) or has a physical location to get to so I doubt the seeder ships and Destiny were stopping and seeded every and any galaxy, if anything they would want to increase efficiency by reducing the lenght of the mission by starting seeding a bit further away
                              A) Following that argument, why seed Stargates at all?

B) Again, given how well the 'Gate-seeders are keeping up with Destiny, it's doubtful that seeding Pegasus and a few other nearby galaxies would have delayed them by any noteworthy amount.

... Also Destiny is very clearly a deep space exploration, not to mention the 8th chevron of the gate was designed exactly for situations like dialling pegasus, and since destiny style gates (at least the ones seeded anyway) are not capable of this they can't have dialled there from Earth,
                              What are you talking about? First, there is no reason to think that Destiny-style Stargates are incapable of receiving an 8-chevron dial. Second, the ability to connect from Earth may be irrelevant.

also when it comes around the time to go to pegasus, if the galaxy was seeded, going to Destiny and getting all the information on the gates seeded in Pegasus would have made an awful lot more sense then just randomly searching through pegasus for Destiny style gates and pinging around to get them all and then replacing all of them one by one
                              That is assuming that the Destiny was still close enough for them to reach easily. Moreover, even if they could reach the Destiny, they would still have the problem of getting back.

Comment

Working...
                              X