This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why McKay replaced Dr. Ingram on Atlantis

According to Chevronine, samandjack_sg1 website and Dreamwatch Issue No. 116 Joseph Mallozzi is Interviewed about the production on 'Atlantis'.

Joseph Mallozzi: The early footage looks great. It’s a young and enthusiastic cast – and we have the added bonus of a cross-over character in Doctor McKay, who was a great character in the ‘SG-1 verse’. It’s just great having him to write for, and the other characters are great as well.

Paul Mullie: I think Atlantis is going to be great. It’s weird, because the casting process was difficult. They looked at a lot of people. This is the first time I’ve been part of casting a new show, and it’s hard! It’s about finding this really indefinable quality – and you’re not just looking for it in an individual, but you’re looking for it in a team. They have to play off each other and have a chemistry. Sometimes you’ll get an actor who does a great audition but just isn’t right for the part based on who he or she has to play against. It was so crazy in the end, so last-minute.

Joseph Mallozzi: Bits and pieces were falling into place, and there was one final little piece – Dr Ingram. We found some very good actors out there, but we just didn’t find anyone who really responded to the role or really gave us what we were looking for in the character that Brad [Wright] and Robert [C. Cooper] had created. And when it looked like we weren’t going to find anyone, I remember someone mentioning, “It’s too bad we don’t have someone like McKay on the team!” And we thought, well, why not? So we contacted [former Stargate SG-1 guest star] David Hewlett.

Paul Mullie: It’s early days, and we’re just getting the dailies from the first couple of weeks’ shooting. There is always going to be some elements of finding the characters and they’re going to change at first. I’m looking forward to seeing a cut, because dailies are so disjointed. But I think the show’s going to be fun. The set is awesome, a monumental thing and beautifully decorated. I think it’s going to be pretty cool.

What does everyone else think.
    "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Originally posted by Wass
    What does everyone else think.
    What does everyone think about what? The decision to drop Ingram and bring in McKay instead? I have a mixed reaction. The negative is that the loss of Ingram is one more in a line of things that TPTB have changed or failed to follow through with in the development of the show and it gives me a strong sense that they don't really know what they're doing and that despite the fact that Atlantis has supposedly been in development for years, they STILL haven't figured it out.

However, I can also see how they could fail to find the "right" person for the role. Sometimes it just happens that way, whether it's because of TPTB, or the auditioners, or the role itself, it doesn't matter. It just happens.

With that in mind, I also have to say I'm relieved they've brought in McKay and I consider it one of the few signs thus far that Atlantis could actually be good. Granted, I have strong concerns about whether or not they'll give him the sort of character development he needs, but at least he's there.

Since we don't know anything about Ingram other than a couple of lines of character description, it's hard to develop any real feelings about him.

How come this isn't part of the McKay thread?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      How come this isn't part of the McKay thread?
      Sorry thought it was better if put it here.
      "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

I think it's gonna be a bit weird having McKay in every episode. After he's been built up as quite a jerk in SG1 I dunno if it'll be hard adjusting to him. Maybe it's be cool if they brought Sam in in an episode and represtented her as McKay was in SG1 so we can see the relationship from his point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitster
          Maybe it's be cool if they brought Sam in in an episode and represtented her as McKay was in SG1 so we can see the relationship from his point of view.
          That would be a bit out of character for Sam, I think. Although maybe after we get to know McKay better to have Sam come in and be automatically hostile towards McKay and shoot him down at every opportunity... it could look a little different. Or is that what you meant?

Comment

It would seem that TPTB will have to flesh out his character - being a jerk week after week would be very wearing. Besides, he probably has many fine characteristics when he's not trying to show off for Sam
            Nmom
            sigpic

Comment

Personally, I am impressed that TPTB decided to drop the Ingram character rather than force-feed us someone who wasn't exactly what they envisioned. Who knows, maybe they'll find the right fit later on in the series. I would much rather be "missing" a character than have a character be "replaced" (such as Dr. Weir) mid-story because the original actor isn't working out, for whatever reason. That has happened in other series' and is a real pet peeve of mine. I think the fact that production staff has the ability to "morph" the cast shows the amount of control they have over final say on important aspects of the show - how many times have we heard the story about producers having to write in or cast the cute blonde because the network is demanding it in order to air the show?
              That having been said, I am not a big McKay fan, although he was better the second time than the first episode he was on. I am looking forward to meeting the new team and being told a new story . . .

-tera'ngan
              nuqDaq yuch Dapol

Comment

I'm glad, besides being an "interesting" (if that's the word) character, it will add another interesting dimension if Sam ever guest stars.
                "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

it was a good call, because we know Mckay from sg-1 and since he is a familiar character it can help entice people too cross-over

Comment

Originally posted by the_fours
                    it was a good call, because we know Mckay from sg-1 and since he is a familiar character it can help entice people too cross-over
                    Plus, he's already a gate expert and perfect for being annoyed about not having the Ancient gene

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
                      Plus, he's already a gate expert and perfect for being annoyed about not having the Ancient gene
                      i cant wait to see how that gets played out

Comment

Originally posted by the_fours
                        i cant wait to see how that gets played out
                        "It amazes me that a Neanderthal like yourself could possess the gene when I don't. I have a doctorate, dammit! You probably can't even tie your own shoes."

hehe

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                          "It amazes me that a Neanderthal like yourself could possess the gene when I don't. I have a doctorate, dammit! You probably can't even tie your own shoes."

hehe
                          *careful what you say mckay i may just have to send those orange thingies after you*

Comment

Perhaps McKay getting sent over to Atlantis is a smaller version of the Carter Curse?

Think about it: everyone who's dated Carter has well....died. McKay flirted with Carter, didn't quite go out with her, so maybe banishment is a step below death on the Carter Curse scale.
                            Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
                            Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
                            Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
                            Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
                            Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
                            Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
                            Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

Originally posted by SGSlugger
                              Think about it: everyone who's dated Carter has well....died. McKay flirted with Carter, didn't quite go out with her, so maybe banishment is a step below death on the Carter Curse scale.
                              I'm trying to make Luke responsible (since he's technically responsible for the Curse, anyway) but we'll see how it works.

Comment

Working...
                              X