The most frustrating thing about B5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The most frustrating thing about B5

Personally, my biggest frustration with the show kind of also lays in the show's greatest strength: its serialization.

As much as I love the show to death, I can't just pick it up and watch a random episode in the way I can do with say Star Trek. I find that B5 just loses something if you haven't completely invested yourself in the story arc.

Anyone else feel that way?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I would say it's a good thing if you really enjoy stories, and a show that follows a plot.

But every show needs its filler episodes.

Comment

Oh, B5 does have some filler episodes too, although not many of them. Still, I love shows with long story arcs so I can't say I'm too frustrated by that. My favorite almost stand-alone ep is probably The Day of the Dead.
      sigpic

Comment

I have no problem picking and watching a randon B5 episode, even if it's not a stand alone. I've seen B5 so many times, that I can put every episode in its context, without watching any of the related episodes.

The execption to that might be the episodes that are practically a two/three parter episode - where one specific story is told over a few episodes (even if it's not called the same name, with Part I, part II etc.), like the Messages from Earth - Point of No Return - Severed Dreams trio.
        sigpic

Suffer the dream of a world gone mad, I like it like that and I know it.
        - R.E.M.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          Personally, my biggest frustration with the show kind of also lays in the show's greatest strength: its serialization.

As much as I love the show to death, I can't just pick it up and watch a random episode in the way I can do with say Star Trek. I find that B5 just loses something if you haven't completely invested yourself in the story arc.

Anyone else feel that way?
          Depends on the series, really. Series 1 and 5, you can pick eps out form it. It's especially 2-4 that gets pretty tight serialisation-wise

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
          I would say it's a good thing if you really enjoy stories, and a show that follows a plot.

But every show needs its filler episodes.
          Ah, but you have to get the right balance, because many series of SG had too many fillers. Infact, S10 had soo many fillers at times I thought they had forgotten the Ori!!
          sigpic
          385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
            Oh, B5 does have some filler episodes too, although not many of them. Still, I love shows with long story arcs so I can't say I'm too frustrated by that. My favorite almost stand-alone ep is probably The Day of the Dead.
            not im less interested in this serirs.
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Some people can flip to their favourite part of a book and enjoy reading that section, others must re-read the whole thing. I think it's cool that B5 demands [for you, Digi] a different viewing style than regular sci-fi or TV in general.
              Having watched the series end to end a few [too many] times now, I can watch my favourite episodes and know exactly where they stand and enjoy them for what [and when] they are.
              sigpic
              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I have a few others than it being too short for the world that was built in this series.

But my biggest one would have to be Ivanova leaving after fourth season, yes I know, she had a great send off storywise. But she was probably my favorite character. Spunky and hilarious.

Comment

I must say I agree with you jmoz. Lochley wasn't nearly as good a character IMO. I think B5 would have been wonderful with Ivanova in charge.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                    I must say I agree with you jmoz. Lochley wasn't nearly as good a character IMO. I think B5 would have been wonderful with Ivanova in charge.
                    Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with that one. I loved Ivanova.
                    sigpic

Suffer the dream of a world gone mad, I like it like that and I know it.
                    - R.E.M.

Comment

I prefer arced shows. The most frustrating thing for me would be the one and only Byron.

Can't believe JMS wrote such a clumsy character.

Comment

Working...
                      X