"Real" Wormholes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Real" Wormholes

A thought that crossed my mind the other day is would it be possible for Destiny to come across a natural wormhole unlike the artificial ones that the stargates create? I'm rusty on my wormhole sci-fi (outside stargate ones) and real science wormholes. I think Carter might have said something about it through the years, but I can't recall right now. I thought it might be an interesting thing to come across...
    My Minecraft Stargatesigpic

Originally posted by AquaGamer53 View Post
    A thought that crossed my mind the other day is would it be possible for Destiny to come across a natural wormhole unlike the artificial ones that the stargates create? I'm rusty on my wormhole sci-fi (outside stargate ones) and real science wormholes. I think Carter might have said something about it through the years, but I can't recall right now. I thought it might be an interesting thing to come across...
    IIRC, the idea of wormholes originated as a hypothetical description of the inside of a black hole. One interesting facet of wormholes is that, because the radius of the black hole behaves like time, the wormhole always closes before you reach it - not that passing though it would help you much, as you would still be in another black hole.

Nevertheless, it would be hypothetically possible for you to see some distant portion of the universe before being crushed on the singularity at the center.
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Short answer? No.

The odds are astronomically against them that they stumble across a wormhole that is:
      a) Left over from imperfections in space time during the big bang.
      b) Leads them closer to home, rather than further away.
      c) Of traversable size, for the destiny or even a shuttle to cross.
      d) Is sufficiently massive to allow something as heavy as the Destiny to traverse it without exploding and imploding in that order. (Which means that the wormhole must be a minimum 99 times as heavy as Destiny)

Comment

and destiny must not be destroyed by the gravity of the wormhole and then actually get out of the other end

Comment

If they go home using something related to wormholes then we have another Deux Ex Machina
          sigpic
          Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
          StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
          GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Well, we do if they only find/mention it in the last episode, if on the other hand it's the mission that's been alluded to them that wouldn't be too bas I suppose.

Comment

No if it has anything to do whit wormholes then they suck at ingenuity .
              sigpic
              Stargate Mods List

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                Short answer? No.

The odds are astronomically against them that they stumble across a wormhole that is:
                a) Left over from imperfections in space time during the big bang.
                b) Leads them closer to home, rather than further away.
                c) Of traversable size, for the destiny or even a shuttle to cross.
                d) Is sufficiently massive to allow something as heavy as the Destiny to traverse it without exploding and imploding in that order. (Which means that the wormhole must be a minimum 99 times as heavy as Destiny)
                But that's like saying there are astronomical odds to find a planet that is: roughly the same size as Earth, with an atmosphere the same composition as ours, temperature to allow humans to survive etc. And yet in the SG Universe there are plenty (one can say that the ones in MW and Pegasus were terraformed by the Ancients but even if they were the ones in SGU weren't). Therefore it is possible for them to find a natural wormhole with those specifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Andru10 View Post
                  But that's like saying there are astronomical odds to find a planet that is: roughly the same size as Earth, with an atmosphere the same composition as ours, temperature to allow humans to survive etc. And yet in the SG Universe there are plenty (one can say that the ones in MW and Pegasus were terraformed by the Ancients but even if they were the ones in SGU weren't). Therefore it is possible for them to find a natural wormhole with those specifications.
                  Being that the seeder ships put gates on planets that Ancients could survive on, the chances of them finding Earth-like worlds are 100%. I would imagine that natural stable wormholes are more of a cosmic oddity than rocky planets that orbit at a certain distance from main sequence stars.
                  All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

I think it'd be interesting if Destiny stopped and tried to gather data by itself, maybe related to it's overall objective. Or the wormhole messes with Destiny's incoming wormhole sensors and stops, not being able to continue into FTL. Good opportunity to learn more about the gates from figuring out how to get moving again. I think it's something that has good plot potential, as long as they don't use it to "get home free card". But even that's unlikely because they'd have no control to where a natural wormhole ends up.
                    My Minecraft Stargatesigpic

Comment

no but what if it end near earth or i some tiny obscure galaxy 900.000 Ly away
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Mods List

Comment

Well, what if the Destiny's MISSION is to get to that wormhole?
                        The Ancients, long, long time ago saw that wormhole (what ever method they used) and thought: "Cool, lets go check it out!"
                        sigpic

Comment

If i remember right they didn't have the word for cool ( one for cold but still) they could use that sub-space seti thing and see a much more advanced race and they sent the ship to make contact .
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Mods List

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                            Being that the seeder ships put gates on planets that Ancients could survive on, the chances of them finding Earth-like worlds are 100%. I would imagine that natural stable wormholes are more of a cosmic oddity than rocky planets that orbit at a certain distance from main sequence stars.

Comment

And 20 or so gates in a galaxy is a 200% happening
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Mods List

Comment

Working...
                              X