This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any thoughts on The SGA/SGU crossover?

And the questions that brings up about Atlantis?
    The following are some of the points brougt up on Joe Mallozzi's blog where he confirms that two of the SGA actors have been signed to appear in SGU episode 15:
    http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ment/#comments
    There was a reluctance to move ahead with an SGA crossover, particularly on my part, because the feeling was it would step on the timing of the SGA movie, Stargate: Extinction, the events of which directly proceed the Atlantis series finale, Enemy at the Gate. But given the delay on the movie front and the ideal premise pitched out by Remi Aubuchon and Brad Wright, it was decided to go ahead with the crossover. Not a big deal, but it will require some changes to the Stargate: Extinction timeline which, in turn, will beg a host of questions, some of which will be answered in episode #15, some of which won’t…at least not right away:
    1. Where the hell is Atlantis?
    2. If Atlantis is on Earth, does this mean Earth-based off-world ops are being conducted from the city?
    3. If Atlantis has taken up permanent residence in the Milky Way, then it’s unlikely the Daedalus will be making a return trip to Pegasus anytime soon, meaning characters like Teyla, Kanaan (Yep, he made the trip.), Ronon, and Todd will be taking up permanent residence on Earth. Or are they? And if so, what the hell are they doing?
    4. All well and good for Ronon, Teyla, and Kanaan who chose to come along for the ride, but what about Todd who is now a prisoner on Earth? And, hey, how the heck are the authorities going to see to his unique dietary requirements?
    5. IF Atlantis has remained in the Milky Way, does this mean that all of the members of the Atlantis expedition last scene in the series finale are still working as Atlantis staff?
    6. And what about the personal lives of our crew? IF Atlantis has been on Earth since the events of Enemy at the Gate (What is that? Almost a year?), how have the lives of our main characters progressed?
    JM goes into more detail on his blog with each question.
    sigpic

the only 1 that I can see crossing over would be McKay, just because of his knowledge of Ancient/Lantian tech

I can so picture the conversation now before using the communication stones......"now you have to make sure whoever has control of my body doesn't eat any citrus, I am very allergic to citrus. Oh, and no going for runs like the last time....."

Dave

Comment

I'll be surprised if it's a cross over anywhere near the extent of an episode like The Pegasus Project was, the episode title is Seizure, hard to glean anything from that.

Comment

My thoughts are that I still won't be watching SGU no matter how many of the SGA cast they drag into it.

Comment

I haven't read Mallozzi's entry. At least not yet. I started to read it and wanted to throw something at my screen, so I closed the window

OK, my thoughts on the general topic "SGA and SGU crossover", which are the same thoughts on SGA actors guest starring on SGU (in cameos or whatever) can be resumed in 3 words: STILL.NOT.WATCHING.

I could also add that, if I had a choice, I'd vote for NO SGA actors on SGU, and NO SGA movie either. I love SGA because of its wonderful core cast and the way they portrayed the characters (well, at least most of them, not all ), not exactly because of the writing. I don't want these writers to ruin Atlantis and its characters ever further. They've done, IMO, enough damage in 50-60% of season 5...

I like David Hewlett, Rachell Luttrell and Jason Momoa a lot. But I'm not fannish enough about them to watch them on a show I have no interest in. So I wouldn't watch them on SGU in any case. For the record, I didn't watch the crossovers of David on SG-1 either. I did watch the only eppy with JF on SG-1, The Pegasus Project, and all I can say is that I wanted the SGA characters to punch the SG-1 characters for treating Rodney so nastly So, nope, I wouldn't watch another SGA crossover with SG-1 either. Meh.

The only actor I'm really fannish about is Joe Flanigan, and I would watch him on anything... except SGU. That's were I draw the line If he's on SGU and someone in fandom posts his scenes on You Tube or something, I'd watch that. If not, sorry, I won't watch at all.

My wish: I don't want the SG PTB ruining the SGA characters any further (*). I just want a new show with Joe Flanigan as the lead

(*) I should also add that I have zero loyalty to the Stargate franchise. My loyalty goes to the core SGA cast only. As an Atlantis fan, I felt that I was treated like a second class citizen by the SG PTB. I felt they always treated SGA - the show in general, its cast and fans - like the unwanted step-child. That's my opinion and how I've felt since SGA s2. If you - general you - feel different, great for you. I want more Joe Flanigan on my screen, just not on anything related to this franchise :/
          Last edited by lily; 16 July 2010, 08:16 AM. Reason: edited to add the comment under (*)

Comment

TPTB created the SGA characters

Comment

Well I can't wait to see some of those questions answered! But I wonder what any SGA character would need to be doing on Destiny? I can't make much sense of it...

Comment

the only place I want to see SGa characters on SGU is the Destiny's airlock
                Stolen Kosovo
                sigpic

Comment

{mod snip}.

Anyway, I think it's very nice that, despite being a separate series, SGU still keeps its connections with SG-1 and SGA. That, I think, is one thing that never really happened with Star Trek series... Though I'm not an expert on ST. Plus, I don't think it is for viewer fishing.
                  Last edited by KatG; 16 July 2010, 02:35 PM. Reason: off topic

Comment

Originally posted by Osiristi View Post
                    {mod snip}

Anyway, I think it's very nice that, despite being a separate series, SGU still keeps its connections with SG-1 and SGA. That, I think, is one thing that never really happened with Star Trek series... Though I'm not an expert on ST. Plus, I don't think it is for viewer fishing.
                    I agree with you. its really not that bad a show if you give it a chance, at least IMO. The beginning was slow but it did pick up in the second half. I watch tv shows for entratainment and because i like them, not because of what goes on behind the scenes. All shows have their faults, some more than others; and I understand if its not everyones thing. I usually like crossover eps because its lets us see a little about what/how past characters are doing.
                    Last edited by KatG; 16 July 2010, 02:37 PM. Reason: snipped in op
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                      Well I can't wait to see some of those questions answered! But I wonder what any SGA character would need to be doing on Destiny? I can't make much sense of it...
                      Maybe when Destiny goes off of auto-pilot they will need Sheppard to drive it for them.

Anyway, I think it's very nice that, despite being a separate series, SGU still keeps its connections with SG-1 and SGA.
                      I agree completely.

Comment

Haters gonna hate anyway. I really, really dislike the "not gonna watch" attitude. SGU isn't THAT bad, y'know. Some people have just made up their mind because of the SGA cancellation which was handled very abruptly.

I assume you were in part replying to my previous post about "STILL.NOT.WATCHING".

I can only speak for myself, obviously, and as such I'll add a bit more, trying to explain my main reasons/issues:

1) I wouldn't watch any other show produced/written by the SG producers/writers. Out of principle. Period. Like I said, I didn't like how, IN MY OPINION, they've been treating SGA since season 2 (that wasn't a typo, I meant to say since season two, once the novelty of the first season went by for them). I still remember one of the writers saying (I think it was Martin Gero in one of the audio commentaries for s2, but I might be remembering wrong. Maybe someone else remembers this too and can provide a link, if it was an interview) that they had a clear idea where they wanted to go with season 1, but they realized when season 2 started pre production that they had no idea what to do in season 2... and he adds "anyway, I think it turned out quite nicely".

*head desk*

And the list goes on, but this is not the place to discuss it.

Even if the new show was a complete different show and even if that show had run simultaneously with SGA, I still wouldn't watch it. Like I said, I won't be watching any other show from them (neither SG nor non SG shows).

2) I wouldn't watch SGU even if the show was produced/written by a complete new set of producers/writers.

I know the type of show/movies I like, and I know what I don't like. I like action/adventure with a touch of humor (for example, I love the Indiana Jones movies with Harrison Ford). I don't mind a touch of dark stuff from time to time, like SGA did in some episodes, but I despise the "gritty, edgier, darker" trend we've seen in shows in the last few years. Sorry, I like old fashion adventure. I rather watch an episode of an 80s show like the A team where I could see friendship, action and camaderie, rather than all that "darker, gritty" crap of many shows nowadays (yes, crap just IMHO, of course).

I watch shows/movies for entertainment. And "darker, edgier, gritty" stuff sounds as interesting to me as watching paint dry. I like to sit down and watch a show/movie for escapism. Like I said, I like mainly action/adventure with a touch of humor. I also like seeing the main characters being the good guys, developing friendships and camaderie between them, working as a team.

Comment

I'm interested to find out who is crossing over. I would think Rodney could offer technical support, not really sure beyond that.

*A thread similar to this would be better suited for the SGU area where it could take place in an area with fans of the show, if someone doesn't watch the show why do I care what they think about the crossover? Why does anyone? If they don't like they show that doesn't bother me at all, but it also makes their opinion on matters of SGU quite unimportant!
                          sigpic

Comment

I think Rodney is the obvious choice; it is easy to imagine a story line in which he is called in to offer his scientific expertise, and I think it would be fun to see him on Destiny (I'm assuming via the communication stones) - I can only imagine what he would think of the food situation! No coffee?!
                            sigpic
                            Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

I have thoughts on this one but I don;n't think I can repeat them.......

It's a stunt, they've gone from referring to SGA as 'comic book' to being so important that they want to make a huge announcement..........please.

I loved SGA and to a slightly lesser extent SG1. I watched SGU, it wasn't for me. That's not to say I don't acknowledge the very real enjoyment it gives to other people. I'm happy for them, I wish I was enjoying a show that much, but this isn't going to make me go, oh that's wonderful, SGU is all that's good. Sorry, it doesn't work like that. SGU has a different tone to it, I don't like that tone so I don't watch, a guest spot by characters from a show I loved will ensure that I watch that episode, but I won't be watching any of the others.

As I have stated before I think this indicates how much trouble SGU is in. Atlantis was very much ignored in the show's cannon in the first season and now they turn round and start this, it sounds like desperation to me.

However I will watch the episode, not because I give a fig about Universe, but if it gets a big enough bump in the ratings for that one episode then maybe, just maybe, there is more of a case for getting the movie made. Do I think that's likely to happen? Absolutely not, but it can't hurt to have a go.

Comment

Working...
                              X