• Show
Clear All

Why cant the Ascended use their power?

Possible sopilers
    -
    -
    -
    -
    I mean some of the ancients did ascend, right? And from that what i understand is that they are so powerfull that they can do anything they would like to. Daniel said he is not allowed to interfere, but why the others can't??? Isn't it a bit odd? They could easily wipe out the Wraiths as much as the goaulds, so why don't they???
    (Leave out the bit about that there would be no SG serie if the Ancient could use their power please ))
    "Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way!"

Visit Dr. Radek Zelenka's Complete Translations and thunk thread

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

in the s5 ep assention this is covered, orlin said that the others have rules about not intefering because they dont know how their actions can effect a sociaties development, see the episode for the full explaination

Comment

You mean smth like the Orlins people used the weapon not just to defend themselves but also to conquer other planets?

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

Originally posted by veneticuss
        You mean smth like the Orlins people used the weapon not just to defend themselves but also to conquer other planets?
        yeah like they said

sam:you couldnt have known they would do that
        orlin:thats why the rule exists

Comment

Originally posted by veneticuss
          Possible sopilers
          -
          -
          -
          -
          I mean some of the ancients did ascend, right? And from that what i understand is that they are so powerfull that they can do anything they would like to. Daniel said he is not allowed to interfere, but why the others can't??? Isn't it a bit odd? They could easily wipe out the Wraiths as much as the goaulds, so why don't they???
          (Leave out the bit about that there would be no SG serie if the Ancient could use their power please ))
          The impression I get isn't that they can't, it's that they won't.
          Slight spoiler for Inaugeration:

When General Maynard is talking to Hayes about the ancients, one of the things he says is that they consider helping us to be beneath them.

Even Oma, who is happy to help people ascend, won't let Daniel "take action to change human existance" (I think that's how he put it...) It might just be that they don't feel they have the right to play God, and they would be no better than the Goa'uld or the Wraiths if they did.

Comment

There's also the fact that if they help one world then they would most likely have to help many others. I'm guessing that there aren't many of them (there again you can't be sure) so they'd have their work cut out for them wouldn't they? They just have to leave us be.....
            "Someday, men will look back and say I gave birth to the twentieth century." - Jack the Ripper

Comment

I have a question......does God interfere in the daily lives of people? And if the Ascended did interefere, there wouldn't be a show.
              Last edited by Orb; 16 May 2004, 08:21 AM. Reason: Mispelling

Comment

Stargate: Watch In Awe as the Ascended Save the Day wouldn't be a great series.
                sigpic

Comment

O.K.
                  You have unlimited power and you see an injustice or natural disaster occuring on a less evolved planet. So you stop it. If the people are at a certain stage in their development the aid would look miraculous, and there is suddenly a host of people believing you are a deity. Then the same thing happens on another planet. Before you know it half a dozen civilisations are worshiping you, and another half a dozen are waging a holy war against the unbelievers.
                  Worse still you could find yourself enjoying the adulation and believing that you are indeed a god.
                  And what if a civilisation stops believing in you, the temptation for a little divine retribution would be there, too.

The saying goes "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely."

I think the Ancients realised this and took steps to prevent the abuse of power among them.

For a view of what they could have become, consider the "Q" continuum in "Star Trek : TNG"
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee

The saying goes "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely."

I think the Ancients realised this and took steps to prevent the abuse of power among them.

For a view of what they could have become, consider the "Q" continuum in "Star Trek : TNG"
                    A good point and also a good quotation

Comment

Its a question of corruption and morals basically.

I guess the more wise Ancients didn't want their fellow people to take advantage of their powers recklessly.
                      Vae Victus - Livy

Comment

I agree with the god thing. That they may become god-like and start to like it.

but I always thought that it was because they would be the judges of the universe. If they thought something that was being done was wrong they would take action against it, regardless of the wishes of the people. they would be taking justice to a whole new level. Like, they might not agree in the undemocratic nature of the military, so they would stop it, regardless of the fact that that sort of ordering without question is essential to military situations.
                        Godspeed, Don.

Comment

I just posted but I when I left I realised how much I had left out and I couldn't be bothered to edit, so here's another post.

The decisions might be v. difficult. Things like communism would rock their boat.
                          Let's presume that they disagree with the repression of communism, they would want to take it down. But by doing so, they would also be taking down the governmental system and police forces. Anarchy would run rampant. Also, communism might be the only way that the country is surviving. Without it, the country may fall into social and financial hardship and everyone would suffer. They wouldn't want to be responsible for that, and, if they knew that it was going to happen, they wouldn't know what to do.

Another problem would be disagreements within them. Our society has plenty of disagreements, people fight with the government on a variety of issues. But, with the kind of power that the Ancients have they could completely undo all of the work. If a large group of people disagreed with others, you'd end up with a war of gods.
                          Godspeed, Don.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike
                            Its a question of corruption and morals basically.

I guess the more wise Ancients didn't want their fellow people to take advantage of their powers recklessly.

Well sure, But the Wriaths obviously wipe them out. So it would be just strike back. just take the REVENGE. That'd make sense. They are after alll not dead. They would just do their duty.

I also always wondered if their is a higher power than the Ancient.

Comment

The Ascended should help others espically if a race, like Earth is about to be destroyed. And why don't the Ancients just wipe out the Wraiths since that's what they did to the Ancients
                              __

__

Comment

Working...
                              X