PDA

View Full Version : Founder's Day (401)

Madwelshboy
July 7th, 2010, 11:55 AM
As Season Four begins, Carter and friends are mysteriously transported to a dangerous military installation. Getting home seems impossible, but whether they escape or not, their journey will have life-altering repercussions.

Please use the report feature to request the thread to be opened

DigiFluid
July 9th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Amazing series premiere. Loved every minute of it! (Except for the resuscitation of the Jack/Allison thing :\)

Everlovin
July 9th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Is this where we talk about the episode and not worry about spoilers?

Because I have questions.

DigiFluid
July 9th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Yes this is the official discussion thread....we just don't have season folders yet so it's still out in the open here.

Talk away about the episode, that's what these threads are for :)

Everlovin
July 9th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Ok, here it comes! What do you suppose Fargo found different in the new 2010? How will Dr Grant travelling to 2010 affect the science as we/they know it. Henry did say that it was largely Dr Grant's work that the physists built upon. How is it that Kevin became normal? He is in theoy the same child genetically so he should have been the same. Is the new Stark alive in this new 2010? Great opportunity to bring him back!

That's a start. :P

edit: After seeing the preview, who in their right mind put Fargo in charge of GD?

yessika
July 9th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Ok, here it comes! What do you suppose Fargo found different in the new 2010? How will Dr Grant travelling to 2010 affect the science as we/they know it. Henry did say that it was largely Dr Grant's work that the physists built upon. How is it that Kevin became normal? He is in theoy the same child genetically so he should have been the same. Is the new Stark alive in this new 2010? Great opportunity to bring him back!

That's a start. :P

edit: After seeing the preview, who in their right mind put Fargo in charge of GD?

I loved this episode and I have the same questions that you do :p:D

I liked all of the changes except Jo and Zane not being together :(

Replicator Todd
July 9th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Its been a long time since I watched Eureka, a long time...since about 07-08 I believe. I missed too many episodes, but I decided to watch it again for Season 4! It was awesome! I missed this so more than I thought I would! Love the twist at the end! Can't wait for what is next!

Daniela
July 9th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Same here. I tried but never watched Eureka because it was to quirky for my sci-fi tastes, but I looooove this new twist to the show. I also love the addition of Haven.

planet_tv
July 9th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I have one quick question: When I was watching Eureka's season 4 premiere I saw Alison's son Kevin in the episode but I thought something happened to him in an earlier season and he disappeared?

Now I have only seen the second half of season 3 and some episodes from seasons 1-3 the first half so I have no clue.

DigiFluid
July 10th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Same here. I tried but never watched Eureka because it was to quirky for my sci-fi tastes, but I looooove this new twist to the show. I also love the addition of Haven.
Hmm? What?

I have one quick question: When I was watching Eureka's season 4 premiere I saw Alison's son Kevin in the episode but I thought something happened to him in an earlier season and he disappeared?

Now I have only seen the second half of season 3 and some episodes from seasons 1-3 the first half so I have no clue.
Kevin never disappeared....at least not as part of a story. Before this episode though, the last time he was seen was in the season 2 finale.

Zeratul
July 10th, 2010, 06:10 AM
At the beginning of this week's episode (4x01 - Founder's Day) we see in the scenes from previous episodes part a lil bit where Tess breaks up with Carter using a hologram.
When/where the hell did that happen? I seen the whole series 3 a couple of times and i'm pretty sure i never seen anything like that o.O

Inquisitor
July 10th, 2010, 06:18 AM
It didn't. It was probably a deleted scene, or a bad segue between 'previously' and 'now'.

Zeratul
July 10th, 2010, 07:19 AM
or a bad segue between 'previously' and 'now'.
Looking at how short it was i doubt it, deleted scene sounds like a more likely reason. Don't see however how in about say.. 10 months? (time between last eureka ep airing last year and first ep this year) they didn't think about removing the clip from this ep, even if it was all done and wrapped by the end of last year's season o.O

Galileo_Galilee
July 10th, 2010, 08:23 AM
I liked the show, but this show stole a concept from Stargate SG 1.

Solar flares interacted with a wromhole and sent them back in time.

DigiFluid
July 10th, 2010, 08:30 AM
'[plot device] sends the protagonists back in time' is as old as the hills, SG-1 didn't invent it.

Akamaimom
July 10th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Solar flares interacted with a wromhole and sent them back in time.

My husband and I said the same thing!

And I like the Jack/Allison thing. Not as huge a fan of Tess--so I was most sincerely distressed!

The one that struck me the most is Allison's son--being "normal". As a parent of a child with an Autistic Spectral disorder, I can say that it would be terrible to have to make the decision to fix a timeline/universe where your child isn't absent from you and return to one where you would lose him again. Talk about angst!

And please don't bring Nathan back--he's such a jerk! I can't stand him!

I do agree that this episode bodes well for a great season!

Galileo_Galilee
July 10th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I still get the sense that they might use the Reset Button. (Yes in caps on purpose).

I also wonder if some of the changes in the timeline was from fan influence. For example:

Zane not being a romantic interest for Joe.

RowenaR
July 10th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I still get the sense that they might use the Reset Button. (Yes in caps on purpose).

I certainly hope so because I have a bad feeling they're going to do some horrible things to Tess (writing-wise, not plot-wise) and I hate that thought. Also... not a love triangle involving Jack and Allison all over again, please. If they do have to break up Tess and Carter (which was awesome, I think... even though it might not actually be a popular opinion ;)), then please let them do it gently and keep Tess as a character intact and not let her have the short end of the stick.

I also wonder if some of the changes in the timeline was from fan influence. For example:

Zane not being a romantic interest for Joe.

That was awful :( And why is it that Jo always ends up being unlucky in love? Zane/Jo was great and it worked and I honestly don't see why they had to break it up.

The only really good thing regarding characters I saw in Founders Day was the addition of Grant. I expect great things of him ;)

ADSaL
July 10th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Looking at how short it was i doubt it, deleted scene sounds like a more likely reason. Don't see however how in about say.. 10 months? (time between last eureka ep airing last year and first ep this year) they didn't think about removing the clip from this ep, even if it was all done and wrapped by the end of last year's season o.O

One thing to take notice of.
At the end when Jack walks into the house and sees Tess, she is wearing the same shirt as in the Previously On Eureka Hologram Breakup Scene....
Coincidence or am I reading too far ahead?

Galileo_Galilee
July 10th, 2010, 09:43 AM
That was awful And why is it that Jo always ends up being unlucky in love? Zane/Jo was great and it worked and I honestly don't see why they had to break it up.

Unlike popular belief, love is just not for everybody and there are some people who are meant to be alone.

But what would really be weird is if Joe and Fargo got together.

rarocks24
July 10th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Please use the report feature to request the thread to be opened

Great, in order to get more viewers they added Gaius Baltar to the cast. Just great.

Otherwise, amazing episode.

Replicator Todd
July 10th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Great, in order to get more viewers they added Gaius Baltar to the cast. Just great.

No love for Gaius Baltar? :(

RowenaR
July 10th, 2010, 11:28 AM
No love for Gaius Baltar? :(

I have ;) I mean, I didn't like Baltar, but I have the feeling that Dr. Grant will be a great addition to the cast... and if I'm lucky he'll probably keep me watching

even though Carter and Allison apparently do hook up this season, according to Colin Ferguson (http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b189609_eureka_best_show_on_tv_youre_not.html). Eurgh.

Also, regarding Jo and Zane:

What really bugs me about this is the question why it has to be Jo that maybe won't get her happy ending again - why it has to be the tough, no-nonsense female character with a penchant for firearms? Deep in the recesses of my mind... the stereotype bells just started ringing. But maybe I'm just being paranoid.

DigiFluid
July 10th, 2010, 11:28 AM

You mean one of Syfy's all-time highest rated programs decided to bring on an extraordinarily talented actor to make an already awesome show even better?

Yeah, I'm sure that's what you meant.

Skydiver
July 10th, 2010, 11:58 AM
thing is, it's not gaius baltar joining the show, it's james callis

it'll be interesting to see the year play out and see if 'fixing it' is a plot arc, or if they just go with it.

can theykeep the guy from 1943 in hte here and now? or does he get sent home?

SaberBlade
July 10th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I'm glad they've added James Callis. It is disappointing if something big changes and they decide to send him back. I guess it would depend on how Eureka history recorded the character, as someone who disappeared or someone who disappeared with his spy buddies and is considered a traitor. It's going to be very hit and miss, because Carter has Tess back (which is a grey area considering his relationship with Allison), Joe will probably want to send him back, Allison could want to keep him, and Henry, that's just one big mess right there. I'm looking forward to seeing how things changed for Fargo.

I'm glad Kim wasn't resurrected, but disappointed that Nathan wasn't (he's brilliant). That said, I'm also partially glad he's not bad because I thought the Allison/Carter relationship does have good potential but it's one thing or another so it's interesting to see how things just keep them apart. One thing that I didn't like was the removal of autism from Kevin. It makes as much sense as McKay losing his deadly allergy to citrus. Oh, maybe now Taggart and Joe can get together.

Akamaimom
July 10th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I'm glad Kim was resurrected

I didn't think she was. I think that this is someone completely different. . .or did I miss something?

SaberBlade
July 10th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Sorry, that was a good old fashioned typo. I'll fix it now.

Galileo_Galilee
July 10th, 2010, 03:40 PM
No, Kim was never resurrected, it was a completely different woman.

DigiFluid
July 10th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Yeah....Asian vs. black lol

Jynjyr
July 10th, 2010, 05:00 PM
I got a huge :) kick out of the season premier.

I have to say that's one of the more unique ways of bringing a new character to a show.

badwolfSG
July 10th, 2010, 05:43 PM
This was great... however since I'm a big fan of Carter/ Allioson since season one I'm not liking where the show going this there storyline.Nevertheless I thought everyone else had a very interesting and look forward to watching storyline.

DigiFluid
July 10th, 2010, 05:58 PM
This was great... however since I'm a big fan of Carter/ Allioson since season one I'm not liking where the show going this there storyline.
LOL

And being very anti-Alison/Jack and very pro-Jack/Tess, I'm very annoyed with the stuff that happened in this one :p

Briangate78
July 10th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Excellent episode! I loved the story and set up for this season to come. Dr. Grant I think is going to be a winner for a new character. The show is just good fun and keeps you entertained.

Killdeer
July 10th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Wow. I'm not even sure what to say yet. Still processing everything. *kind of stunned* It was pretty amazing though. Wow.

Spimman
July 10th, 2010, 09:17 PM
How will Dr Grant travelling to 2010 affect the science as we/they know it. Henry did say that it was largely Dr Grant's work that the physists built upon. How is it that Kevin became normal? He is in theoy the same child genetically so he should have been the same. Is the new Stark alive in this new 2010?

I'm thinking a foreign government may have an upper hand and a stronger military control of the town.

One slight variable could have changed Kevin.

I don't think Stark will be back, we have enough new characters.

At the beginning of this week's episode (4x01 - Founder's Day) we see in the scenes from previous episodes part a lil bit where Tess breaks up with Carter using a hologram.
When/where the hell did that happen? I seen the whole series 3 a couple of times and i'm pretty sure i never seen anything like that o.O

That was handled oddly. :S

Great, in order to get more viewers they added Gaius Baltar to the cast. Just great..

The fact that you hated James Callis' character from BSG so much is evidence that he is a great actor. He also has said he was excited about the part because it was such a different character, so maybe you'll like this one!

thing is, it's not gaius baltar joining the show, it's james callis

it'll be interesting to see the year play out and see if 'fixing it' is a plot arc, or if they just go with it.

can theykeep the guy from 1943 in hte here and now? or does he get sent home?

Yes

I think they'll keep things different.

What really bugs me about this is the question why it has to be Jo that maybe won't get her happy ending again - why it has to be the tough, no-nonsense female character with a penchant for firearms? Deep in the recesses of my mind... the stereotype bells just started ringing. But maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Have any romances on this show ended in a happy ending? Most either have one member die, forget the whole thing in an alternate time line, go to college, move to Australia or get destroyed in some other way. Romances on this show should be expected to go badly!

---------------------------------------------

All in all I was very apprehensive about this reboot, but they totally delivered. About 30 minutes in I was still wondering, it was fun, but didn't seem as fun but the ending to the episode really set up what I think will be the foundation for the entire season really nicely. They could have had this episode anytime in the season, but I think they put it as number 1 because this is a permanent time shift...otherwise it would have been mid-season, maybe the cliff hanger or something.

Dr Grant seems really awesome. I enjoyed how he didn't jump to conclusions in the past but trusted his gut against the odds and discovered the truth, I hope he is even cooler in the present.

Henry's wife (name?), I knew when we met her under the hood she was important so I guess we'll see about how cool she is.

I'm really excited about next week!

RedXian
July 11th, 2010, 05:31 AM
It's curious that the Archimedes state was Stone and Bronze afterwards. It got me thinking about Stone Age and Bronze Age. I wonder is this altered future is more advanced that before. It would be a blow to Grant's ego if the future was more technologically advanced if he went missing for 60 years.

Killdeer
July 11th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Before this episode though, the last time he was seen was in the season 2 finale.

Actually Kevin was seen briefly at Nathan and Allison's wedding (that ultimately never happened).

I was rather stunned last night after watching with all the possible implications for this season, but after writing out a lengthy reaction post in my LJ, I'm feeling much more upbeat. I think this new twist will be very interesting. I do have a couple of concerns - I'm not thrilled at the prospect of yet another triangle (Jack/Tess/Allison), and I want Jo and Zane to get back together - but beyond that, I think this is a great start to the season.

A couple of quotes -

Allison: "This is really really bad" Jack: "Yeah, for them" and "she's small, but she's scrappy!" :D

Henry: "They caught him streaking through the camp" Jack: "Of course they did." :lol:

ZeroPoint
July 11th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I've never liked reset buttons, because it means the writers don't have to pay attention to anything written before. Hallmark of lazy writing.

If the characters are half as smart as they are written to be, they'd each go over the logged histories so they don't look stupid and/or suspicious. Example: It looks like Henry is married, but he doesn't know his wedding date, what attracted him to the wife, her family or history or birth date. Kevin probably has a completely different history than what Alison remembers. Other minor examples: There's a better than even chance that Alison and Fargo have different passwords at GD. Zoey could have a completely different personality and Carter wouldn't ever know.

MIZA
July 11th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I didn't think she was. I think that this is someone completely different. . .or did I miss something?

yes I believe that is Tembi Locke from Sliders !, and i do feel very sorry for Carter just as he is making headway with Allison surprise Tess is back ,

yesh i agree Spimman romances on this show do go very badly

Akamaimom
July 11th, 2010, 08:10 PM
yes I believe that is Tembi Locke from Sliders !

And from an episode of Bones, from season 5.

Spimman
July 12th, 2010, 05:53 AM
I forgot to mention this, but I thought it was hilarious about Fargo showing up naked and how it actually was part of the scene from the promo of the Ferginator. I didn't think that was actual show footage, funny stuff!

Also - If you read "Ask the Moderators (http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/17629-Ask-the-Moderators/page531)" Darren is going to create a Season 4 area for episode discussion, which will be cool!

hallmjo
July 12th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Really liked this episode of Eureka, no surprise, I love the show, wonder where it will go next with this whole thing

pjt
July 13th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Great episode! The big surprise however, that they'll bring Dr. Grant with them was totally ruined by the credits, when he was part of the regular cast, and then after when he had a phone in his exchanged coat. But it was fun nevertheless.
:)

Alan Wake
July 13th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I Don't watch this show, but I'll admit this was a really good episode.

Courtam3
July 14th, 2010, 07:34 AM
I really enjoyed this episode as well.

What I really did not like though was bringing Tess back I was not a fan of her character at all and to throw her back in at Carter's home I really did not like that.

That said I want to see how the ripple effects of their changing the time line works out. Fargo as head of GD? What and where are they going with Dr. Carter I think it was cool that he warped with them. Allison's son Kevin what will be the repercussions of his illness being cured.

I can't wait to see Friday's episode

Alan Wake
July 14th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I hope they don't return the guy to his own timeline. He's a cool character.

fugiman
July 14th, 2010, 07:19 PM
AMZINGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT EPISODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but I feel bad for Jo but other then that I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Galileo_Galilee
July 15th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Yeah, Fargo got a light show, all the others got was a morph job.

MIZA
July 16th, 2010, 01:06 AM
it was a great episode again, iam glad that syfy is showing threw out the week

the person i feel sorry for the most is Allison

mizzoueng
July 16th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I liked this episode, I think they could have handled the "what happened between 3 and 4" a little better. Wasn't the last scene in S3 of Jack looking at plane tickets to Sydney, AU and calling Allison to "have a talk"?

I was thinking about the changes because of Grant jumping with them. Since he left 1947, could the "artifact" never been found? Wasn't that part of the reason Kevin was the way he is?

Also, it was daylight when they came back. I assume they "never left", so wouldn't it be safe to also assume that the gateway is still open and that they can send Grant back right away to 1947 and he would drop back in there when Jack and the others appeared as well? Not sure how the physics work with that one.

Spimman
July 16th, 2010, 07:57 AM
the person i feel sorry for the most is Allison

Why is that? Her son no longer has a communication/social/learning disorder...that is at least one positive for her as a Mother.

Akamaimom
July 16th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Why is that? Her son no longer has a communication/social/learning disorder...that is at least one positive for her as a Mother.

But if they try to make the time-line correct, then she has to make the choice to return him to his previous status. That's a heckuva choice to make. :(

Galileo_Galilee
July 16th, 2010, 10:24 AM
But the thing is, her Daughter could be Autistic.

katjoy
July 16th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I've never liked reset buttons, because it means the writers don't have to pay attention to anything written before. Hallmark of lazy writing.

ive never liked the reset button either... why do we start to care about characters if they are just going to come along and reset them...

i thought the episode was fantastic, but the timeframe of the fallout is what im not a fan of... id prefer it be fixed within one or two eps... im still dubious about the fall out becoming part of the season story arc...

because like ive said we grow to care about a character and they reset them, well its inevitable that people are going to come to care about the reset versions as well only for them to be potentially changed back again by the end of the season :S i prefer consistancy and character development to resets which allow for free range to change anything and everything about a character...

i see the biggest fallout being for carter since 1) zoe is one of the reset characters and he wont know what to expect or what he may have missed out on, and 2) tess has been reset and he had just gotten to the point with alison where things might finally work and now he's faced with a tess who didn't dump him...

Everlovin
July 16th, 2010, 05:35 PM
The reset would have a huge affect on Allison as well. The way things currently stand, they're rekinling the Jack/Ali thing but the Jack/Tess thing is in the way, Fargo has her job, Kevin doesn't have autism. All of these things she has to deal with either way. If the timeline resets or not.

I just had a thought regarding the changes. What differences could have been made with Zane still in jail? All the times he pulled the fat from the fire, would they be different? Specifically - iirc - his helping out during A Night at Global. It was during this time that Kevin connected with the artifact and was semi-normal. Could something different have worked out and the artifact still be stablizing (for lack of a better word) Kevin in this new timeline?

katjoy
July 16th, 2010, 07:33 PM
^ yes tess being back also affects alison... i dont see kevin not having autism as a bad thing... and as for the other that is a spoiler to those coming into the first ep thread only...

Killdeer
July 31st, 2010, 10:15 PM
Founder's Day (401) - Your Questions Answered (http://eurekaunscripted.typepad.com/blog/2010/07/401-your-questionsanswered.html).

A Q&A from Jaime Paglia, executive producer.

Inquisitor
August 21st, 2010, 01:39 AM
I just watched 3x08 again, I find it interesting Jo was upset (in 3x08) that Zane froze when she asked for commitment, and when she froze in this episode...

Irony!

Linda06
August 26th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Good start to the season :D Joe will probablt need therapy for life after seeing Fargo naked :eek: :p I like Fargo, he is so funny in a quirky kind of way :p

Amazing series premiere. Loved every minute of it! (Except for the resuscitation of the Jack/Allison thing :\)

Yes I agree about the Jack/Allison thing. I mean they had plenty of opportunities to go ahead with this in pervious seasons but they didn't so they should just drop it now IMO. I mean it's just been going on too long now, and then Tess was in the picture and I liked her and Jack, they go well together. I just hope we don't end up with a love triangle of doom in this show like in another show I won't mention :S

Linda06
August 26th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Founder's Day (401) - Your Questions Answered (http://eurekaunscripted.typepad.com/blog/2010/07/401-your-questionsanswered.html).

A Q&A from Jaime Paglia, executive producer.

Cool thanks for sharing Killdeer :D I wish they could keep Jaime Ray Newman around, I like her :D

You know all through the ep I was like "I know him from somewhere (Dr Grant), I know that voice" and for the life of me I just couldn't place him. Then I came on here and found out it was the same guy that played Baltar :eek: Can I just say he looks so much hotter now in Eureka? I really liked Dr Grant but I couldn't stand Baltar :p

Darkland
June 4th, 2012, 01:04 AM
Just watched the fourth episode this week and I have to say, I was amazed by it. It was unexpected and very well executed. I just love the fact that they messed it up and noticed after a while when they returned to 2010.

That Jack and Alison kiss was to die for!!! xox!!!

Seaboe Muffinchucker
March 14th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Have any romances on this show ended in a happy ending? Most either have one member die, forget the whole thing in an alternate time line, go to college, move to Australia or get destroyed in some other way. Romances on this show should be expected to go badly!

Not just romances. They develop interesting characters who bring a lot of conflict to the show and then drop them, too. Like the first senator who only appeared in two episodes, Olivia D'Abo (Carter's ex-wife), any number of scientists at GD, Eva Thorne. I'm finding it very annoying. It certainly makes me reluctant to invest any interest in a particular character, which in turn makes the show less fun to watch.

Seaboe

Everlovin
March 14th, 2013, 08:33 AM
This was the show I shipped everyone with whoever. The only ship I truly loved and was faithful to was Jack/SARAH. Any others I enjoyed, but I was never heartbroken if it was switched around, forgotten about, etc.